July 23, 2014 | 1286 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Semi-Matte in Heat Wave

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

When it comes to orange-red lipstick, a cool-toned, pale girl like myself immediately balks. Anything with orange isn't our forte, after all. But if you do belong to the pink skin brigade, have no fear! This is the one exception that still pops, looks fresh, and 'modern Hollywood'-esque. The color does have a strong orange note, but the base is red, and it almost seems to turn into an orange-ish cherry red. It really brightens my face, and I'm sure this would work wonderfully on more yellow-toned skin!
Nars lip products seem to have amazing staying power; at least their semi-matte/matte ones do. This one in particular leaves a very nice hint of juicy red on my lips after a couple hours of drinking and eating, and doesn't even dry them out! The consistency is not too creamy, which makes it easy to apply directly from the tube. I would still recommend starting from the thickest part of your lip, just too test out the pigmentation and then blend accordingly. This color can look like clown makeup if you overdo it.
The price is much if you're used to drugstore makeup, but I really do think that you get the bang for your buck. It's beautiful. stays on well, seems a universal color, and isn't drying!
GO GET IT.
Also, the name 'Heat Wave' is very fitting. I like.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 12:29:00 PM More reviews by baldymonster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I finally found my perfect orange-toned lipstick! I love this. So bright and bold, so long-lasting, and so flattering. And bless you, NARS, for not putting disgusting, overpoweringly floral perfume into your products, unlike some other high end makeup companies I could name. I think I will be buying "Heat Wave" for a good long while. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it does tend to feather out after an hour or so of wear, so wear a lip liner with this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2014 10:48:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

I understand why this lipstick was named Best Overall Lipstick by InStyle in 2011. The color is Hollywood film star gorgeous. I avoided red lipstick for years, because I falsely believed that my olive (yellow undertones) skin was a poor match for it.

A friend of mine was purchasing this at Sephora a few years ago, so I tried it on in the store. I was amazed. It's rich and vivid, the Technicolor of lipsticks. It has a slight coral-orange hint to it, but it is still a true and classic red.

I've had a few tubes of this. I find I can wear it any time of year.

Another red I favor is Russian Red by MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by RenZen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A very flattering red-orange semi-matte lipstick. Every lady needs something sensual yet.. flirtatious. This is a nice powerful lipstick but can be very put together IF applied properly ( for me this involves a trusted lip liner and brush for precise application ). The packaging is sexy, which NARS never fails with their sleek, matte casing. It was a bit of a pretty penny but staying power is amazing. May need a few minor touch - ups here and there after a dinner but I was amazed at how beautiful my lips were after a long night out. This is a great purchase if your looking for something spicy in your lipstick collection. ^_~

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2013 11:22:00 AM More reviews by papayaaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My first MUA review!

This is an amazing lipstick. The color is stunning, like a red-orange or hot coral. It really brightens my complexion and I can see it looking good on a variety of skin shades (though probably best on neutral or warm undertones).

Other PROS
- highly pigmented, great color payoff
- formula. It's not creamy which is good IMO, for a highly pigmented lipstick. Otherwise the color would just slide around and look gross and blotchy. At the same time while I don't find this lipstick moisturizing, I don't find it drying either, which is a big plus. I think the formulation is perfect.
- easy application. has to do with formulation. it kind of reminds me a little bit of a crayon... it sounds bad but trust me it isn't. I can color inside the lines (lol) easily with this lipstick straight from the tube.
- doesn't really feather or budge, even without lip liner
- long lasting
- fades nicely

So all in all a really great product. After buying this lipstick I had a eureka moment where I realized I looked good in warm reds or slightly orange reds... so I've bought some other orange-red lippies. I still think this one is the best though.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by bunnylove07

NARS Heatwave is by far the best red-orange lipstick out there on the market! It has a beautiful semi-matte finish and lasts all day on the lips. I love the formula and pigment of this lipstick so much! I was so impressed that I have added another 10x Nars shades to my lipstick collection since purchasing this one. Like all NARS products, the packaging for this lipstick is very sleek and chic. I love how it's the perfect size and can fit into any clutch/pocket with ease. The lid closes tightly on the products too which is a huge plus! As it is a semi-matte lipstick it's probably ideal to wear a very thin layer of balm onto your lips before you apply this. I love how vibrant this red-orange lipstick is and how it suits so many different skin tones. NARS Heatwave is a must-have for those red lipstick junkies like me!

If you're on the hunt for a red-orange lippy, I highly recommend you give this one a try. It beats MAC's Lady Danger on so many levels!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 12:45:00 PM More reviews by brooklynbee

I hope they never, ever discontinue this lipstick. HG for me! I have trouble with most lipsticks being too drying or irritating my lips, but I can wear this one without having any allergic reactions. It is basically scent-free. A little goes a long way, I usually layer w/ lip balm and dab it on/blot it off.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by julalg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So this is what I would say is my hg summer red. It is really bright but not clownish,and looks great with a tan. I have peachy skin, and any kind of pinkness or blue tones in red lipsticks comes out fuschia on me. This is just red with a hint of orange on me and brightens up my face. People will definitely look when you wear this color, so you have to be ok with that and also have a mirror nearby for occasional touch ups. It is a semi matte formula so it is long lasting and somewhat drying. But the color is more than worth the dryness.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by sarahfeeni

As far as Orange-Red lippies go, this is hands-down the best. I think the color is so fun and unique and I have never seen another color quite like it. It took me years to get to confidence to wear a color like this (I finally purchased it about 18 months ago after eyeing it for 3 years).

I took off one lippie because I wish it was just a tad less orange and more red. Something about my complexion and hair color really pulls out the orange. which is not neccesarily a bad thing but when I see other ladies wearing this it appears that they are wearing a retro- red lipstick (a la "mad men") and not an orange lipstick.

I really can only wear this lippie when I wear black. I think it might help to get jungle red-lip liner to pull away some of the orange. I don't wear this color often since I am more drawn to pinks and corals but I plan to wear this more with only eye-liner on the top lid and mascara for a retro look for summer.

this lipstick is not too drying at all. I find it to be quite moisturizing actually. however, when I remove it my lips then feel quite dry. but that is easily remedied!!

I think this lipstick is a must-have

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by Paavaki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

On the hunt of finding a perfect orange-red lipstick, I bought so many. The result was either too orange or too red or something else.But this lipstick is perfection. This is the l/s color which we see in all vintage magazines.Ladies, if you are not convinced, do visit Sephora and do try. It gives your face an instant glow and the color photographs very well . My second favorite orange red is MAC Lady Danger and Wet n Wild Purty Persimmon but Heat Wave is THE PERFECT ONE. The matte formula is again a bonus and is not drying at all. Stays on for hours. Its such a bright shade but it does not look over the top.