August 30, 2014 | 1753 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 2 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:46:00 AM More reviews by loeblori

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a very frosty highlighter that would look best on young, good skin. The best reviews seem to be from people in their teens and twenties. On older skin it emphasizes bumps and fine lines and it can look too severe, even when applied with a light hand and a high-end Japanese brush. For older skin I much prefer the Lorac highlighter. But if you are younger and want to make a statement, this is the one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Sonjavidas

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I LOVE this highlighter! It's defiantly worth the price! It is really pigmented, so I use it with a light hand. And since it's so pigmented, it works great as an eyeshadow! I always get compliments on how healthy looking my skin looks whenever I'm wearing this. A must have makeup product for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2014 4:23:00 AM More reviews by bribi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I ordered this on amazon for about 30% off regular retail price. I was so excited for it to arrive, I kept thinking it was going to revolutionize my makeup, and I would look like a glowing angel. (I don't know, I read a lot of positive reviews.) so it arrived one evening and I brushed it on top of my 8+ hour old makeup, with the cheap brush that was included in the amazon order, and I was disappointed to see that it looked a little clumpy. Maybe clumpy is the wrong word, but it wasn't really smooth. So I bought a nice fan brush and tried again on fresh makeup a few days later. I could barely see it, but when I looked closer, it seemed to highlight in certain concentrated areas more than others. I out more on, and when my sister came over later that day I asked if she could see it and she said no. So I showed her the powder (she's 18, and remarked that she liked the packaging) and we tried it on her skin, because even though she's fair, like me, she likes to tan and her skin is a little warmer. I couldn't see it on her either. I put more on myself and we decided it was too similar to our skin tones to highlight. Plus, the fact that it's champagne-colored makes it really not settle cleanly into my cool-toned skin. Although later, from further away, we noticed each other's skin did look a little bit smoother and more glowy (we'd just brushed it on our cheekbones. I tried it in the corner of my eyes and it was too dark, so I'm nt doing that anymore.) overall, it's nice for a subtle look, and would probably work best on people with warm tones, or who have a little more melanin in their skin than I do. But I wouldn't but it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 1:04:00 AM More reviews by Jdeliz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I went ahead and bought it after reading such good reviews about it; I was not disappointed! Just amazing champagne tone shimmer with no glitter in it! Really makes your cheekbones pop, especially in pictures.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 10:48:00 PM More reviews by GabbyT15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this highlighter. It has a yellow/gold base which is really nice on my tan skin. White based highlighters tend to make me look like a disco ball.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This product is very shimmery or glowy, so you have to have a light hand when applying this to your face. I overapplied and ended up having to blend it out for five minutes. The effect really is flattering and lasts all day. The packaging is just too adorable and is quite sturdy as well. This is a really nice product, although I wish the price were not so steep for a highlighter.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by ButterflyLobster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This looks very natural and glowy on my tan skin, almost as if I have no highlighter on! I also use this on the inner corner of my eyes to make them pop. The two things I did not like about this product is the price and packaging. Paying 15 for this is way overpriced in my opinion. The packaging of the compact is cute but I can see this dropping on the floor and breaking instantly! But overall I would give this a 7/10

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by LibbyandStuff

This highlighter is the bomb.com! Its super pigmented and the colour is gorgeous. I have used it on a few of my friends and they all have different skin tones but it looked fabulous on all of them. I'm not going to lie, I was sucked in by the super cute packaging on this product so I splurged a little. The price would have to be the only downside. But I use it on a regular bases and is by far my favourite highlighter!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 1:04:00 PM More reviews by CindyKhalista

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just bought mine and guess what.. it freaking broke like a huge crack in the middle.. I was so upset and I couldn't really fix it but it was okay. The result was awesome though, no need much product but the results are just so pretty. So I love it but the freaking crack.. ergh

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by bubbelbad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, what can I say about this that hasn't already been said.

For my graduation, I decided to splurge and convinced Mary-Lou to move in with me. We got on right away. The only highlighters I had were very Albatross-like, and were too yellow to look natural on me. The colour (a neutral gold) of Mary-Lou may look a littlebit plain when swatched, but that's a good thing: it proves that it will look good on many skintones (maybe except for really dark ladies).
I couldn't really care for the packaging much really, don't really like it nor hate it, but it's really sturdy! Don't have any issues opening it - but I heard the powder is fragile so I wouldn't travel with it though. Also, the mirror she carries is always convenient.

But oh my goat, it is SO pigmented. Even after a tiny dip with my brush in the powder, I still need to tap some product off - although I have to mention that I like really subtle highlights. Some said that it just 'sits' on your skin and looks too obvious, why yes ofcourse it does, if you don't blend it in. If you know how to blend it correctly and use a fanbrush, it can be as subtle (or as intense) as you like. That's the biggest tip I can give you with this. (I use a firm brush (from ebay) to blend it out.)

Some said this highlight just gives a sheen and has no glitterparticles at all. Don't really agree with that. Yes, it is really finely milled but if you look at the product (applied) REALLY close, you will see that it's actually a lot of tinitiny 'dots' of shimmer that create a sheen together. I think that is mostly to blame to the great pigmentation (in some weird way). Still, absolutely no obvious glitter particles (at all!!), so don't need to worry about that. (I do have to mention - I am a HUGE critic. Most people would find that it looks like a natural sheen and nothing else.)
EDIT: She has convined me, the 'dots' really don't bother me. After some research, I found that all of my highlighters had the 'dots', but because of the great pigmentation they just stand out more with Mary-Lou. Don't mistake my vague explanation of the dots with glitterparticles!! Again, she does NOT have them!

Would I repurchase? Not sure, because 1) no way that I could ever finish this (if I do I will update) and 2) I like to try new stuff out. But it's a fantastic product, when you're either looking for your first highlight or want something that you can combine with ANYTHING, so I still voted 'Yes' on the repurchase-question.

If it's the money that's holding you back, don't let it. It's worth every penny. I may seem critical about it in this review, but I do really love it and use it every day. I think everyone with fair to medium skintone should try this. Plus: cruelty- and parabenfree!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No