October 25, 2014 | 1559 users online

Loose Powders - E.L.F. - Studio High Definition Powder

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by brittbrat118820

Initially I was not a fan of this product, but after giving it some time I have found it to be great for a setting powder. You only need the tiniest amount for your whole face. Don't over apply or you will get the white powdery look. After I apply I like to take a clean brush and dust the excess off any areas that need it (usually my nose). It sets your foundation and gives you a soft look. I don't find it changes the color of my foundation or washes me out. I really feel this product helps my foundation last longer too. I don't get too oily mid-day like I do when I wear other powders. I apply this with the real techniques complexion brush, not the powder puff that comes with it. My only complaint is it can be messy so be carful not to get too much product. Also the packaging isn't travel friendly so its not a product you can use to touch up if you need it. I bought this for $6 at target and it lasts me a few months.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 9:42:00 AM More reviews by amyliS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow! All I can say that I was very pleasantly surprised! In this price category it is a real find, I can tell you. You could think it is very expensive brand if you tried it blind among some other samples.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Steelermummeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Did you ever have one of those face-palm moments? When you want to give yourself a Gibbs-slap? Yeah, me too. I wish I'd known about this before I bought the MUFE HD powder. In my defense I didn't know E.L.F existed at the time. If I knew then what I...grrr!

Okay, now I feel better. A bit.

I know that E.L.F is a bit (a lot) hit-and-miss, but this HD powder got such wonderful reviews that I had to try it myself.

If you were to take the MUFE product out of the container and did the same with the E.L.F version, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Truly, you wouldn't. As with the MUFE powder, it pretty much is a case where it does exactly as promised. I'm probably the millionth person to say this, too: A little goes a LONG way! We're going for a polished look, not a "Ohai I just woke up in the morgue" look.

There really isn't a whole lot more I can say which hasn't been said better by someone else though I do have a hint of advice:

Before you walk out of the door, get your friend, your spouse, heck even your kids, to take a photo WITH THE FLASH beforehand to make sure you're not doing "a Kidman".

(Yes I made that term up but it stems from the truth - Nicole's white splotchies have become the classic example of "when white powder goes wrong")

Otherwise, believe me - I'm bitter enough for all of us because I didn't find E.L.F's version before MUFE, so just enjoy your product. It's SO worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by lushlife505

My go to setting powder. So far it is the only one that really helps my makeup last. Not all day but nothing has done that. It can leave a slight white cast if you are heavy handed but you can dust it off with a soft powder brush. Also once it sets into to the skin it goes away as well.
Love it. hate the packaging though OMG it is so messy

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by SilverAngel621

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pros
very finely milled
leaves skin silky
price 6 bucks
love the puff that comes with it (so soft!)

cons
packaging.....pfft, damn flimsy packaging

So i have the shimmer one and the translucent one. The translucent does not leave a white cast, just blend, bend, blend. The shimmer one is very subtle but use it sparingly. i mostly use it as a highlighter. All in all, a hit E.L.F.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 7:18:00 PM More reviews by amberoliver2014

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently bought this because of a thing I read on pinterest. For $6 its nowhere near the most expensive product I've ever bought and I figured if it got good reviews all around, why not try it out. I have very oily skin which can be extremely picky about what I use on it. I've had products get cakey and gross,or too shiny and make my face look worse or magnify my pores. If it can happen with makeup it has. So I was a little worried when I saw that this stuff was considered clear. I really did not want to deal with a disco ball for a face. Well I put some on over clean skin in the pickup after buying it and the first thing I noticed about it was the way it felt. It felt like silk on my face! So smooth and soft! I used it to set my makeup today and I love it. It has lasted me all day and kept me matte without the fear of being a disco ball. It is still silky smooth after several hours of wear.. The only downside I see to it is what others have complained about. It is very messy. I refuse to use the little puff that came with it. I thought I would just throw it away and exclusively use my powder brush but I'm glad I didn't throw it away. The first couple times I opened it after taking the puff out was a nightmare! There was dust flying around everywhere! I couldn't keep anything clean and wondered to myself how other people used loose powder if it was that messy! Then I got on here and read about people keeping the puff in it to control how much product came out. I promptly put my puff back in and have a lot less mess. So while this product is amazing and I believe everyone should use it, do not throw your puff away. Keep it in the container, then take it out when you want to use the powder and dab your brush in. A very little bit goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2014 11:16:00 AM More reviews by TropicEssence

I love this stuff ! I don't like wearing normal colored powder because it tends to exaggerate my imperfections and/or look cakey, so I was trying to find an alternative with the purpose of setting my foundation and controlling oil. This product works ! I do use the sponge it comes with, I just blot the product around my face, and to avoid the white film I just run my hands over my face as if I was feeling the softness of my cheeks.

I do not know why people said negative things about the packaging. I've had the same packaging for it for about a year and a half. I've never spilled it , and never had the powder end up everywhere. As long as you keep the sponge in the package, it will prevent the product from 'exploding' or ending up messy. Even if you don't use the sponge, keep it in the package to prevent messes !

I love this and will not search for an alternative. E.L.F. Got it right. Lasts all day, mattifies, controls oil, with no white cast.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by chilipepper12390

When I say this has been one of the best beauty discoveries I've made in YEARS, I'm not exaggerating. I dunno how I lived without this stuff. It is absolutely amazing at controlling oil! It's dirt cheap, easily available, and last pretty much all day for me. I will often work 10 or 12hour days, in a mix of heat and sometimes humidity. I sweat, I get gross, I probably get stinky, but this powder stays on my face, keeps me absolutely matte and holds my makeup in place for the better part of 9 hours. I may have to touch up at the very end of my shift when I see a bit of oil peeking though, or if I get really really sweaty, but for the price tag I can live with that. When I pair it with a primer or my Elta MD uv clear sunscreen it will keep me matter for 10 + hours. Just so you know I have oily skin, with a very oil t zone. I've tried both this and the MUFE HD powder. Go with this one. Works just the same and a fraction of the cost. Loveeeee! Cons:the only con this product has is its messiness. You can't really carry it around with you unless you want a huge powdery mess everywhere in your purse. Also I have heard others say that this powder leaves a cast when photographed. I haven't experience this, but maybe watch out when taking photos.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by thathoneydip

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I have no idea why it took me so long to try this .. I bought this a week ago and absolutely fell in love !!

The product itself is so fine . It's translucent and does not magnify my gigantic pores. I put this on after I am finished with all my makeup. I just take a kabuki brush and lightly dust this over my entire face then go for a second layer on my t-zone .

I bartend at a nightclub so it actually keeps my face shine free from 3pm till I leave at 4am !! Amazing.. And lord knows that it gets hot and sticky in clubs!

The packaging is nice and sleek looking. I like it. I've heard about the shaker pouring out too much and to avoid the mess I actually did not take off the plastic covering it comes with.. Instead I took a pin and poked holes through it so I can control the amount of product that comes out .

It doesn't make me look ghostly in pictures , and does not break me out . The product itself is like $6 I think so it's super affordable ! Overall win win

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 10:55:00 PM More reviews by Nancyplayfoot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I accidentally bought this in shimmer. I was so scared to try it because I didn't want to look silly with sparkles all over my face. I took the leap and tried it and wow! It is awesome. I only used a little and my face looked matte and airbrushed. I love it. I see no sparkles on my face. I will forever buy this