December 19, 2014 | 1737 users online

Treatments (Face) - Calamine Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ok so I feel I have a genuine responsibility to tell people that calamine lotion CURED MY HORMONAL ACNE, which is so severe that I used to need an actual prescription to treat it. No other topical treatment worked -- salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, NOTHING. I had to schlep to the dermatologist and get a prescription for Doxycycline, which I would take for a couple days around my period each month. It worked, and it was great. But then I lost my health insurance and could not get my prescription anymore. It was awful. My face flared up into a volcanic eruption of acne around my jawline. I frantically tried everything, and then finally discovered calamine lotion (so economical -- less than $2 at the pharmacy for a huge bottle!). Within three days of twice-daily application to my cystic, sub-dermal zits, all of the acne was GONE. The calamine lotion just sucked all the puss right out of them and healed them COMPLETELY. I had barely any leftover marks (they cleared within a week) and I have been using calamine lotion on my hormonal jawline zits ever since. It never fails me, and I love it. I cannot recommend it highly enough to those of you who suffer hormonal acne, especially those who take tetracycline antibiotics for it. Give it a try! It might save you money on a trip to the doctor and a prescription!

TL;DR: Calamine lotion HAS REPLACED MY DOXYCYCLINE PRESCRIPTION. That's how good it is.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Good old fashioned Calamine Lotion (or better yet - the newer Calamine Clear which does not produce that awful pink color) are great for bug bites, skin irritations and the occaisional pustule/zit. Cheap and easy to find. A medicine cabinet staple.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by AngieGCarp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my new go to for acne flare ups...I saw a review recently on Calamine lotion for acne and I thought 'but of course!' It is designed to dry up oozing painful skin!!! I did some research and found http://www.acne.org/calamine-lotion-reviews-307/ and I was amazed...tried it. Left it on for 45 minutes then wiped it off THEN did a calming honey and yogurt mask for about 45 min., rinsed that off and put on my normal moisturizer and the next morning. BAM! My skin looked gorgeous and my break out was more than 1/2 way calmed down. Did the same again and it's gone...purple marks and all. It was amazing! Guys you must try it. Please...it is cheap, they sell it at the dollar store and it works.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Yjd933

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

OMG!! I had pretty good skin but then suddenly for an unknown reason, it just went crazy.
I had so many little bumps and pimples forming all over my face.
Especially, all over my forehead and chin area. I thought it would go away but it remained and got worse as the time passed.
A friend of mine had just mentioned calamine lotion so I thought why not give it a try.
My bumps were just SOO red so at this point I felt like a I had nothing to lose.
I am SO glad I did because it is the best product I have used.
I am a makeup and skincare product collector and work for a top luxury brand of skincare but wow nothing helped my skin clear up so well like this calamine lotion.
The best part is, it is $3 for a bottle!! I spent $100s on products, who knew a $3 bottle would do the job.
Now my skin is looking so clear and getting better each day.
I just apply at night after washing my face and reapply around 3 times throughout the night until I go to bed.
If you are battling with bad blemishes, give it a try because I am glad I did.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 8:34:00 AM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this recently when my face reacted to a product and broke out into what seemed like millions of tiny bumps, it was like a rash/bump blanket over my face and some of my neck. Devastating.

As the rash was itchy and raised I wanted something to calm it down and help dry it out, it was then that I remembered how people with chicken pox used this to soothe and dry their pox spots.

After using this everyday for about 5 days, my rash went away. Now, every time I react to something I run for this.

Its quite liquid, which is great because i can use a cotton pad to wipe a thin layer over my face. Your skin will get a white cast, so make sure you do this when you aren't going anywhere and can relax with it on like a face mask.

Use every night, and during the day if you can. Its amazing!

CAUTION - I did find that it dried my face skin out a lot, so I made sure to use my Emulsifying Ointment BP to wash my face followed by a good moisturiser.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by lalaiamcool

I honestly have never ever heard of using calamine lotion(I actually use Caladryl...I find regular calamine lotion is far too runny and it's just a mess to use) on the face. I initially bought this for my sister, who got back from camp and had a bad case of itching from poison ivy. She used it for a couple of days, and then once it did its job it sat in our medicine cabinet. Many months later, my face broke out terribly, and BP wasn't cutting it for me. I also ran out of my BP cream, and decided to poke around the house to see what I could use for my face, such as any DIY masks to soothe the skin, etc. There were a few pus-filled pimples that I could pop (sorry for the TMI), but I needed something to dry them out completely and also soothe the redness and irritation. I stumbled upon this calamine lotion, and didn't hesitate to put it on the skin, since I was a bit desperate. At first, the scent of it was strangely soothing. I dotted this over any blemish, and overnight miraculously it dried them up and helped them heal faster. I find that it's not as irritating as BP---it does take longer to kill some pimples than BP, but I now prefer it over BP and keep a bottle near my sink. Whenever I feel a pimple coming or just have a pimple in general, this is what I use. I also use it sometimes on areas with clogged pores, and it works pretty well. It is extremely drying, so I don't recommend one to use this all over the face like a mask, but for spot treatment I love this! One bottle lasts a very very long time, as you only need a little bit, and it's fairly inexpensive. If you find any existing acne treatments to be a bit harsh on your skin, I highly recommend calamine lotion!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I like many have used this since childhood for bug bites/general itching due to irritation. Many reviewers mention the tell tale pink chalkiness so I just wanted to add there is now a clear version. I've seen several pharmacies carry the generic "clear calamine," its in a white bottle so don't look for the pink:) in my experience and for my family it works just as well but you can go out with it on if that's a concern.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by LisaVe

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great for treating rashes and irritation all over the body. I have even heard of people using this on their face for treating acne breakouts. Feels cooling on the skin and works instantly. Only drawback is the way it looks on the skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 1:16:00 AM More reviews by janetnedra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Such a great, affordable product for rashes or bites. Works almost immediately. Only problem is how it looks when it's on: chalky pink.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 6:56:00 AM More reviews by redlipsthickhips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this lotion for nearly two years now and it's become a blessing and also somewhat of a curse. When my dermatitis gets really bad this is the only thing that helps. It diminishes all the redness and soothes away any painful, itchy areas. I tried using the cream version but it wasn't as effective so I stuck with this. I've found the down side is that it's impossible to go out after applying because your face looks like it has white paint smeared all over it. It's also insanely drying (perhaps that's one of the reasons why it's so effective) so the second I stop using it I have to double up on moisturizer. With that being said, when I run out I always buy more. Bottom line - yes, this stuff works. But it's not a cure.