April 21, 2014 | 1784 users online

Treatments - Calamine Lotion

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 8:34:00 AM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to try this recently when my face reacted to a product and broke out into what seemed like millions of tiny bumps, it was like a rash/bump blanket over my face and some of my neck. Devastating.

As the rash was itchy and raised I wanted something to calm it down and help dry it out, it was then that I remembered how people with chicken pox used this to soothe and dry their pox spots.

After using this everyday for about 5 days, my rash went away. Now, every time I react to something I run for this.

Its quite liquid, which is great because i can use a cotton pad to wipe a thin layer over my face. Your skin will get a white cast, so make sure you do this when you aren't going anywhere and can relax with it on like a face mask.

Use every night, and during the day if you can. Its amazing!

CAUTION - I did find that it dried my face skin out a lot, so I made sure to use my Emulsifying Ointment BP to wash my face followed by a good moisturiser.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2013 7:28:00 PM More reviews by lalaiamcool

I honestly have never ever heard of using calamine lotion(I actually use Caladryl...I find regular calamine lotion is far too runny and it's just a mess to use) on the face. I initially bought this for my sister, who got back from camp and had a bad case of itching from poison ivy. She used it for a couple of days, and then once it did its job it sat in our medicine cabinet. Many months later, my face broke out terribly, and BP wasn't cutting it for me. I also ran out of my BP cream, and decided to poke around the house to see what I could use for my face, such as any DIY masks to soothe the skin, etc. There were a few pus-filled pimples that I could pop (sorry for the TMI), but I needed something to dry them out completely and also soothe the redness and irritation. I stumbled upon this calamine lotion, and didn't hesitate to put it on the skin, since I was a bit desperate. At first, the scent of it was strangely soothing. I dotted this over any blemish, and overnight miraculously it dried them up and helped them heal faster. I find that it's not as irritating as BP---it does take longer to kill some pimples than BP, but I now prefer it over BP and keep a bottle near my sink. Whenever I feel a pimple coming or just have a pimple in general, this is what I use. I also use it sometimes on areas with clogged pores, and it works pretty well. It is extremely drying, so I don't recommend one to use this all over the face like a mask, but for spot treatment I love this! One bottle lasts a very very long time, as you only need a little bit, and it's fairly inexpensive. If you find any existing acne treatments to be a bit harsh on your skin, I highly recommend calamine lotion!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 3:06:00 PM More reviews by chayaNY

I like many have used this since childhood for bug bites/general itching due to irritation. Many reviewers mention the tell tale pink chalkiness so I just wanted to add there is now a clear version. I've seen several pharmacies carry the generic "clear calamine," its in a white bottle so don't look for the pink:) in my experience and for my family it works just as well but you can go out with it on if that's a concern.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2013 1:27:00 AM More reviews by LisaVe

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great for treating rashes and irritation all over the body. I have even heard of people using this on their face for treating acne breakouts. Feels cooling on the skin and works instantly. Only drawback is the way it looks on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2013 1:16:00 AM More reviews by janetnedra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Such a great, affordable product for rashes or bites. Works almost immediately. Only problem is how it looks when it's on: chalky pink.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2013 6:56:00 AM More reviews by redlipsthickhips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using this lotion for nearly two years now and it's become a blessing and also somewhat of a curse. When my dermatitis gets really bad this is the only thing that helps. It diminishes all the redness and soothes away any painful, itchy areas. I tried using the cream version but it wasn't as effective so I stuck with this. I've found the down side is that it's impossible to go out after applying because your face looks like it has white paint smeared all over it. It's also insanely drying (perhaps that's one of the reasons why it's so effective) so the second I stop using it I have to double up on moisturizer. With that being said, when I run out I always buy more. Bottom line - yes, this stuff works. But it's not a cure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Devildog4025

My face started to freak out this summer, including a lot of heat rashes. My derm told me to try some calamine lotion for the rashes, and it helped immensely.
Well like some reviews, I started to read on it effect on acne. So one morning I woke up to a HUGE purple-ish spot and thought "What can it hurt?". The active ingredient is in half my cosmetics anyway.
WOW... this stuff brough that bad boy down 60% by morning. I was blown away. I tried it on smaller blemishes, and like others have said, it sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. Sometimes it brought it to a head that just easily came off with no trace whatsoever... othertimes it did nothing UNTIL it actually hit the surface THEN seemed to bring it down a ton. Either way, I am very pleased with it. I agree with some reviewers that it doesn't prevent acne... I think it will dry up oil (like in the t-zone, for example) but I don't think it prevents much. But it does dramatically reduce a large cystic zit's pain, redness and swelling pretty darn well.
I purchased the Walgreen's brand, the one with the least amount of ingredients for $5.99 plus tax. I bought this in August of 2013, an the expiration date is set for May 2018. So it will last for quite awhile. Always shake it before every use, and I recommend applying it with a fresh q-tip each time. I choose to leave it on each individual spot overnight, and when I'm just home during the day, I applying 2-3 times in 40 minute or more increments. So far I haven't had a problem with drying, but I have heard it can be quite so, so I'd definitely recommend a good moisturizer if your skin tends to get a bit dryed out.
Good luck!

***EDIT***: a month or so later... I do have to add.. that this is touch-and-go... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I was hoping that it was a lasting thing... but it just hasn't been consistent. I HAVE found, though that Oil Of Oregano applied topically has AMAZING effects on large cysts... google it.. it might change your life....

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 5:16:00 AM More reviews by 33Lisa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a good product to just have on the bathroom shelf. It works nicely to help cool down irritated skin and heal little cuts or areas of broken skin. Very soothing. I tried using it for acne for awhile with inconsistent results - I suspect it may have worsened pores/blackheads but can't say for certain. I wouldn't recommend it for acne unless the surface of the skin had broken and only the tiniest amount (it seems to help heal these areas quicker).

Overall, a nice calmative lotion. It lasts for ages too. I've still got the same bottle my mother bought for when I had chicken pox as a kid. Not sure about expiry dates!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by Northstar5

I have been recovering for about a month from using coconut oil to wash my face, which was a total disaster and left me full of breakouts. Trying to get rid of the blemishes I have over-dried my skin, then tried other oils that gave me more breakouts, then overly dried again...a crazy cycle. Used a honey mask.. looked like a got a sunburn. Aspirin mask also did not work for me. I am sensitive and breakout prone. Amazingly, after all the SA, BP, witch hazel, argan oil, etc etc etc, and ACV (which made my skin so red and pimply!) I tried calamine lotion and that has helped immensely. My red, angry, blemished skin calmed down within an hour of a thin application. Yes it shows so don't go out right away. Using it at night is the best, I think. I added DS-bought hydrocortisone with aloe (Cortaid) to spot treat the worst blemishes and together they just helped so so much. Cheap items from the DS that most of us have in our pharmacies anyway. Sooo happy since I'm one of those people for whom nothing that others rave about ever works.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by karenvira

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree, this product is hard to apply, because its made for insect bites and sunburns, etc, its very runny, id say it has the consistensy of half and half. I read online that this is a good product for acne, it can dry them up. Well i purchased it because i have a few open sores from pimples i picked at on my face, and im planning on getting a glycolic acid chemical peel, and I didn't want to burn an open sore. So last night was the first time i tried it, i applied it all over as an overnight mask, it signififcantly healed up my open wounds, if i apply it 2-3 more times i know my skin will be 100% ready. Although its a little bit overdrying to use every night as a mask, i will be applying this everynight as a mask on just my nose, where my pores are HUGE and get so oily, this product made them almost invisible. It also brought a few of my "undergroud pimples" to a head, which i applied more calamine lotion as a spot treatment. This is a cheap product and has multiple uses and works pretty well.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No