August 20, 2014 | 1036 users online

Foundations - Bare Escentuals - bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 4:58:00 AM More reviews by yjanney

I used this for several years around 2000. It was definitely better for my skin than a lot of the liquid foundations out there that clogged my pores and made my face even greasier! This was back when mineral/powder foundation was a new idea, so it was very exciting.

Unfortunately, it never provided enough coverage for my broken-out skin, it didn't prevent my face from getting oily, and it would be almost gone in a matter of hours. To be fair, I don't think I knew about primers back then.

I found some lurking in a drawer the other day and decided to try it again, now that my oiliness is more under control and my skin has cleared up a lot. Still not thrilled with this product, though. I prefer IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation - better coverage, more natural looking, less mess. I alternate between IT and Motives Liquid Powder foundations.

This was a completely new and different idea in makeup, and I appreciate it for forging a new path. But there are better options out there. Won't be buying again.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2014 4:16:00 PM More reviews by annaa7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't understand what all the hype is about. This is a HORRIBLE product, it does NOT cover whatever kind of acne you have! This is a waste of money. I bought the kit with brushes, concealer and foundation. I did like it in the beginning, but turns out it is not good. However, the brushes are good. And I also liked the concealer. But the foundation? No.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by cogitoergodebs

easily the WORST purchase ive ever made. looked great in the shop but within hours had clogged every pore and was emphasising rather than hiding imperfections and I have clear skin. if you have even remote issues with spots or redness AVOID this product. zero coverage yet clogs pores. waste of money!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 1:45:00 AM More reviews by gsalazar82

This foundation on its own offers little coverage. If you have imperfections on your skin that you want completely covered with JUST this than this is not the product for you. I use this to set my liquid foundation/BB Cream/ TM and it works really well for that. I don't like using a powder foundation to set because its too heavy but a translucent powder is not enough for me. I have dry skin and this powder gives me a nice natural finish; I notice that when I don't use this my skin looks a lot less hydrated.

This powder needs something to stick to in order for it to cover evenly and last throughout the day. It has a tendency to cling to dry patches and emphasize pores if used on its own.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by zee140

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So today I was at a makeup store and since my cousin is a makeup artist and works there.. She put the makeup for me and chose the right colors.. At first it looks fake and cakey BUT.. After 30-45 mins.. It sinks into the skin and looks so natural and it's just amazing..

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2013 7:46:00 AM More reviews by thejazzshak

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is not for me. It doesn't cover my redness/acne, emphases my forehead and "smile" lines, dries my skin out even more even with moisturizer, makes my face look very powdery and lasts about 2 hrs. The only pro is it looks pretty natural (with a light land and zero coverage minus the settling) but I can get that from a $6 drugstore foundation with much better performance!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2013 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Hooverbunny

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Loved this product 8 years ago until fine lines showed up. This product emphasizes fine lines. No primer works for this challenge.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2013 7:48:00 AM More reviews by YXXC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If you get bumps, spots, itchiness, it's down to Bismuth Oxychloride. It's in a lot of eye products, eyeshadows and mineral makeup as it gives the skin that sought after glow. Ask the beauty counter girls if products contain it or read the packaging. Personally, I don't suffer with it and therefore rate Bare Minerals as it gives my skin a nice glow. Great for taking on short-haul flights as it's not a liquid so can carry on board. Using the primer that comes with the Get Started Kit means the powder doesn't cake on the skin. It's SPF 15, waterproof and the minerals found in it (other than Bismuth Oxychloride) helps to increase cell turnover.
For more honest reviews, 'like' me on Facebook Face Up To It, Twitter @YoCalliss, yocalliss.wordpress.com. Thanks :)

rated 1 of 5 on 9/4/2013 5:53:00 AM More reviews by Amelielydia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is pretty awful.

- It doesn't cover anything
- Doesn't look natural, cakes and collects around lines and pores
- Smells chemically - even others can smell it on my skin
- Accentuates all dry areas
- Difficult to apply and takes ages to buff to even a light coverage - very difficult to build up
- Makes me skin feel dry after just an hour of wearing
- So light that when I try to apply bronzer or blusher it comes right off
- Ridiculously expensive for what it is
- After just two hours it had separated horribly around my nose and chin to leave a very powdery flaky mess or makeup. I had to touch it up every hour or so to prevent it from looking so disgusting.

The only good thing about it is perhaps the colour matching, but I suspect that's because it hardly covers anything and therefore there's no makeup to match to my skin tone.

It's supposed to leave my skin feeling like it can breathe but I can feel the makeup on my face like any other foundation. It's light on the skin but feels just like any other makeup.

Maybe I'm not applying it right or maybe my skin is too bad to cover with something so light as I have quite a lot of acne scarring, but even in the unaffected areas it goes dry and clings to any flakey skin or larger pores like crazy.

I'm really disappointed. Waste of money. Unless you already have a lovely complexion and just want a very light makeup it's really not worth buying in my opinion.

/ I'd like to add that it probably is down to Bismuth Oxychloride as everyone has been saying but I found that at the end of the day my skin was unbearably itchy and I was swollen under the eyes. My skin was bright red and it still isn't quite normal. Clearly some kind of allergic reaction- Be careful if you're thinking of buying this product!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Shauneexo

Where do I even start? I'll start with its only strong points: photographs well, stays put, and and covers well without caking. Now onto everything else. First off, I got matched to Medium Tan, and I don't know what the hell people are talking about when they say how natural this looks. It makes me look gray, dead, and like I rubbed dirt all over my face. It literally makes my already dark under eye area look like I have two blacks eyes. Yuck!!! If the coloring wasnt so grayish, this would have a lovely finish. Also, my skin is very sensitive and this literally gave me 20 active pimples at one time!!!!!!! 20. And not just little bumps, I'm talking cystic, painful bad boys. It took me a month to undo the Damage from this foundation. I don't know how it keeps winning awards. It's worse than probably any foundation i have ever used. Stay away from this stuff!!!