Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 6/27/2015 5:26:00 PM

worst.thing.EVER!!!! dried my skin out so fast, I was flakey and itchy and it even hurt in a few places

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i bought this product with such high hopes and used it the day i bought it. when i woke up the next morning i had tine white bumps (white heads?) all around my mouth and some on my forehead and cheeks i thought some cleansers take a while to get used to so i used it for another 2 days but I couldn't handle it anymore and stopped using it as my face felt really yuk and irritated. my face has always been oily but after i started using this my face felt reallyyy dry! which felt really weird as I've never had dry skin even my eyelids and lips were reallyy dry. so I bought the cetaphil cleanser and the white bumps dissappeard in two days.

on 6/3/2015 7:06:00 PM

I felt like this product was a bit over drying for me. Would not repurchase.

on 5/19/2015 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this product for years. It is amazing at keeping my acne under control.
I have never had terrible acne but I've had persistent and annoying trouble spots throughout the years. Anyway, this wash really keeps my skin clear for at least 5 years now. It is incredibly drying (I would not use if you have sensitive skin) so I always moisturize before bed, and in the morning.

on 5/9/2015 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This product didnt do too much for my current breakouts in terms of reducing them, but it did improve the rest of my skin.
After exfoliating with st. ives scrub, I washed my face with this face wash, and my skin felt a lot smoother with the duo (as opposed to just exfoliating).
The facewash also works really well as a makeup remover.

on 4/30/2015 6:24:00 PM

I was given this product by a friend. I wouldn't normally have bought it as it's quite expensive and isn't specifically for my skin type as I get a few spots here and there but nothing major. I used it every day for just over a week and was quite impressed as could see that my skin looked so much clearer. However, yesterday I woke up and my skin felt so sore and itchy and was really really flakey. I've used tons of moisturiser but is still so dry and feels like it's burning. I would definitely NOT use this product as it's making the skin peel and I've got red rashes all over my face. Maybe it would work well for someone with acne but certainly not anymore than one or twice a week! Ouch D':

Packaging fine. Formula fine. But didn't make any difference as far as breakouts

on 3/19/2015 5:12:00 PM

This feels like washing your face with bar soap, it feels dry/waxy and all around unpleasant.

on 3/19/2015 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This did nothing for me but it did make me very oily but that may be because I've never had acne in fact I didn't know what acne was until last year after my mother got me a bunch of acne products and one of them (clean & clear) was so strong that when it dropped on my towel it bleached that spot white and that was when I decided to pay Google a visit and find out what acne is.

on 3/12/2015 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I'll probably edit this at some point, but here's my whole history.
(Summary: this product was good in a pinch, but it does dry things out when overused, and I'd like to eventually wean myself off it).

Over the years I've found that salicylic acid works really well on my face.

I don't use a lot of products: at most, spot treatment and face wash (no hair products either, just shampoo and body soap). In the past, I've found that benzoyl peroxide 10% will dry out any pimples, but will dry out my face if used too often or too large an area (not to mention bleaching pillows). What did NOT work for me was any of the homemade pastes (lemon/bakingsoda/vinegar).... and while toothpaste and tea tree oil was mildly effective, It definitely damaged the collagen in my skin where it was used (Tip: remember to dilute, and air out the room to avoid headaches, and sunscreen afterwards even if it is cloudy or winter). By damaged, I mean, it's taken four years for the skin texture there to calm down from looking super dehydrated with lots of fine lines combined with a bit of orange-rind texture. (The orange rind texture has all but disappeared now).

I break out far less often now since I've started washing my sheets/pillows/hair, not touching my face, doing a few bodyweight exercises every once in a while. I've always eaten pretty well, so I can't speak to that. Stress can give you acne, so, take care of yourself in your relationships/school/career.

Salicylic face wash works great on my face-- the neutrogena "willow extract" clear/white "all natural" one was really effective. It was my only facewash for three years. The thing is, although it kept actual acne down, I had a crazy amount of comedones all over my forehead, then migrating down the sideburn area.

This and the orange peel thing was actually what prompted me to start washing everything more often, and watching out for when I get sweaty. I found that the red Stridex pads seemed to shrink the comedones. I left the pads on for a long time. Sometimes even an hour. And my face was fine (no redness, itching, peeling). I've also tried some lactic acid gel 30% skinlaboratory, which was... well, I wouldn't buy it again. It just didn't do much for my skin. However, I heard that it might help with scarring, so I've decided to use the rest of it anyway on the back of my neck until it runs out. I'm not sure the bottle I had was the right concentration, but maybe my skin is just super tough. I have golden-tan skin, easily tanned, never burns-- think vietnamese or filipino or south american.

I've since settled on these three (rotate about every week or two for past 3 months):
1. cetaphil gentle cleanser -- I got worried that I might be getting more comedones, but it is soothing as a lotion, and if I "waste" it by using it to wash dry legs, they come out nice and smooth. I'm hoping to be able to switch to using this 100% eventually.

2. neutrogena salicylic cream cleanser (SA) -- It was nice, and I feel like it would definitely remove makeup if I wore any. But I wasn't sure that the medication was being evenly applied over my face, the way that the gel cleanser was. The tingly feeling didn't spread across my whole face-- it seemed to be wherever I first smushed the soap on my face to start rubbing.

3. neutrogena oil-free cleanser, orange (SA) -- Nice. It helped fix a temporary oiliness (after I tried lactic acid peel for almost two hours on a patch. never again). After using it 3xday for almost a week, though, my face felt tight and dry. So I've applied some cetaphil cleanser to leave on as lotion. We'll see if I get comedones in that area.

Not 100% there yet, but it feels under control and I feel like it'll be only a few more weeks until my cheeks/sideburns are bumpfree.