November 28, 2014 | 1078 users online

Treatments (Face) - De La Cruz 10% Sulfur Ointment

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2014 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Monty613

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a tough review for me because my acne-prone skin reacts really well to sulfur-based products... just not this one in particular. I am recently experiencing a really bad flare up (hormonal), and my dermatologist prescribed Avar products. Then i saw this little jar (for less than $5) at my local CVS and decided to give it a try. I used it for 7 weeks total. I began using it exactly as the directions stated, for 10 mins max once a day as a mask but unfortuantely, my skin flared up even worse... it became red, really dry and i began peeling even though I knew this could happen (from all the reviews i read), it was still pretty frustrating and scary. I saw some of my whiteheads became full blown pimples ready to be popped, but my skin just became worse and worse... i never saw the light at the end of the tunnel and I experienced HORRIBLE 'purging', or so I thought it was. After the 7 weeks, i decided to completely stop using it and 2 days later, my skin miraculously calmed down, the redness went away, the inflammed pimples were gone and the dryness had almost gone away which leads me to believe I was experiecing a bad allergic reaction to this product. The other thing i noticed was that this product darkened my acne scars REALLY bad and the dryness made my skin look and feel 'old', if that makes any sense...Overall, this caused a lot of damage to my skin.
What I CAN say is that this is a great product for spot treatment, just not as an overall mask for my skin in particular. I still dab a very thin layer of it over a new pimple as I feel it coming, and by the next day I can tell it has dried out the pimple which is great.
My advice would be, if you really want to give this product a try, start introducing it to your skin VERY slowly. Do not use for more than 10 mins at a time, and I would even go as far as saying to not use it every day at first. I gave it 7 weeks becuse I know some products take a long time for us to see results, but as the 7th week approached and I saw my skin wasn't looking any better, i decided to stop it immediately.
I know us acne sufferers want immediate results and we get desperate sometimes, but we can also cause a lot of harm while trying to find the perfect 'overnight' solution to our problem.
I am now seeing my dermatologist once a month for facials (this has been a huge BLESSING and makes the most difference on my skin), using Avar e-green under my makeup during the day and alternating between Avar wash and Lush's fresh farmacy (looove) twice a day and my skin is a thousand times better. After I tackle the breakouts, my dermatologist will start with peels to undo some of the scarring caused by this product....

please be careful with this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by Godsavior

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great product! Made acne go away, pero me hizo cagar! :(

It's cuz lik it's good and all but like the smell is nasty A'F. Lik the bery first time I put it on me dio chorro.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 5:32:00 PM More reviews by carcar44324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

My HG back acne treatment! I suffer from folliculitis and frequently have breakouts on my cheeks, shoulders, upper arms, and back. For years I've tried various benzoyl peroxide treatments, alpha hydroxy lotions, salicylic acid and more to no avail. After stumbling across reviews for this I decided to stop by Walgreens and pick some up. It was hiding in the back with the other ointments instead of the acne section so it took a while to find but I'm sure glad I did. With the $3 price tag I couldn't be happier.

This product can be used on face and back however I find that it works better overnight for me on my back. It's an ointment so it feels like putting honey on your skin.

Face
It can be drying if you use this on your skin overnight. At night, I clean my skin and use this as an all over face mask for 10-15 minutes. Washing is easy because it is water soluble. I do this 2 times per week since it can be a little drying. Over time I noticed that my cystic cheek and chin acne was completely gone! You CAN use this as an overnight spot treatment and it gets rid of cystic acne like that! However keep in mind that it can be very drying so do expect some peeling. Also it can get all over your pillows so use sparingly.

Body
The skin on my back is very tough and oily. At night I smear this over both of my shoulders and upper arms/back overnight 2-3 times a week. (Make sure not to use this every day because your skin can get used to this). I usually wear an old tshirt with this as it can be messy. I mentioned earlier, I have struggled with upper back, upper arm, and shoulder acne and clogged pores since I can remember. This is seriously the ONLY thing that has every worked for me. Within 3 uses my back acne was completely gone and it continues to stay that way. I use this with a sulfur soap as well and my back stays completely clear.

This is my all time HG acne product. Thank you De La Cruz!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by nidahirani10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had such high hopes about this product and I am sadly disappointed! I really wanted this to work for me but sadly it didn't. I have pimples on my cheeks and forehead, I was hoping to clear that all up and get a more clear face but it just didn't work for me. I put it for longer than 10 minutes hoping that would help a little but it didn't. The price is amazing and the smell is bad but if it had worked for me I wouldn't complain about the smell. I'm sad it didn't work for me as it did for everyone else but hopefully it works for someone else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2013 2:17:00 PM More reviews by MrMontyBurns

I tried this in hopes of helping with the redness and bumps I get with rosacea. Since my skin is incredibly sensitive, I don't know what I was thinking by smearing this on *before* doing a patch test. Lo and behold, my skin looks even angrier. Sooo, I'd definitely recommend trying this first on a small area of skin and/or leaving it on even less than the recommended 10 minutes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by RYANNSMOMMY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is amazing!! I tend to go pretty extreme with my acne products and irritate my skin, but this time I decided to follow the instructions (sort of-left it on for 30 min) but I did not leave it on overnight. At first I thought it wouldn't do a thing if it wasn't left on overnight, but boy was I wrong. My face is clear of pimples (both cystic and regular) after a week and a half!! I am amazed! I use this in conjunction with a mild cleanser and toner and pimple patches. This is what keeps my acne from coming back and fades post acne red spots quickly!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by AMJ96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I absolutely love this product, I've had sever acne mostly on my forehead and cheeks for 7 years. I've gone to doctors been prescribed medication after medication, nothing helped at all! I've seen a dermatologist and had microdermabrasion done,which only made my acne worse. The next step for me was accutane, I have been very hesitant about it because of the risks that come with it, so I've just been dealing with the breakouts, then I found this amazing product! I've only used this 4 times, or twice a day for the past 2 days and let me tell you this stuff is a miracle in a jar! My face is so clear I actually felt comfortable going around with no makeup on what so ever! This stuff is a must have! Not to mention I have extremely sensitive skin anything and every thing will usually cause me to breakout or get real dry flaky skin except this, it's clearing my breakouts with no drying at all, I definitely recommend this product!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by Ccglam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not sure if this product didn't really do anything for me because I don't have much acne, I get occasional break outs left the product on over night and seems my skin just gets irritated and dry. I've actually noticed more break outs since I began using this product. A bit disappointed was hoping it would be my magic potion as it is for many others

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by ColleenD113

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is truly amazing! I brought it 2 weeks ago and it has eliminated all of my pimples! I was suffering from horrible acne on my cheeks (which I believe was caused by the makeup I was using, my old moisturizer, or both). I noticed that it will bring any pimple to a head in about a day or two, and once I pop them (which I can't resist sometimes since they get SO big and nasty) I put this stuff on top and it literally eliminates and shrinks it overnight. I think it may also lighten red marks, but I am not 100% sure.

I leave the sulfur ointment on active pimples (or popped ones) anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. If using on larger areas, I recommend only using it once a day for 10 minutes since it did dry out my skin significantly when using it twice a day on both of my cheeks, even for 10 minutes at a time.

I do believe that anyone who is suffering from break outs to give it a try, it is only around $8, and I feel that you have nothing to lose!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by kmart12

This has saved my face. I have tried SO many products and pills for my acne, both OTC and prescription, and to no avail. My skin is oily with new breakouts everyday, even cystic once in a while. I haven't had a new pimple since I began applying this on my face! It's been about 3 weeks. I apply it and leave it on for about an hour in the morning and at night; no excessive dryness as of yet. I haven't got a clue why this works so well, but I purchased at Walmart it out of desparation based on on reviews from this site. This stuff is HG for me :D