September 2, 2014 | 878 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - tria - Laser Hair Removal System

rated 3 of 5 on 4/29/2014 7:10:00 PM More reviews by rachrachrach

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This device freakin HURTS! I have super thick black leg hair and like the previous user, I started getting pavlovs' dogs' response when ever I picked this device up to use. Seriously, I'm not a wuss either, I would rather epilate my beard, oops I mean leg hair 20 times in one sitting rather than do this over again. Actually, what helped was getting a numbing gel from Amazon, but seriously, its like 40$ a bottle and it only lasted enough for two sessions. Then your leg just feels uncomfortable and numb for the whole night. Also, it doesn't really numb all the way so some of the more painfully thick areas still hurt.
I did my leg hairs for 4-5 sessions and did see my hair falling out, not growing back immediately, and thinning, but I didn't keep up with it so it all eventually grew back just as thick after a month.
Also, like the other users have said, the treatment window is small, so any large area will take a lot of patience (and pain tolerance) to go through.

I started using the Me Smooth from Elos, I'm on the 3rd treatment (but I do use it twice a week so 6 sessions on high) and it's giving me pretty much consistent results with the Tria after the same amount of sessions, though with less pain and in faster time due to the bigger treatment area. So I'm pretty happy with it, just annoyed that I didn't get the Me Smooth before the Tria!

Another negative that I've experienced so far is that both sides of the screen between the screen and the mesh sides, that plastic has cracked. I keep my unit on my dresser and I definitely treat it with care so it definitely is a manufacturing defect. I have had two devices replaced because of this. The CS is very good though and replaced both my units with zero hassle. One CS agent did try to tell me that the cracks won't affect its use, but I'm just not comfortable keeping a unit that is cracking especially when I don't use it all that often. I'm not sure what is causing my devices to crack maybe the plastic they use on this just isn't very good? i'm very confident in there customer service though and hopefully this third unit has better luck.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 10:16:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment! IT HURTS. Don't kid yourself that you are going to use this machine religiously. Save your $400. My BFF convinced me on this. She has black hair on pale skin and had laser before and needed touch ups. Swore by it. Not sure if having it professionally done she didn't think pain was bad or if her black hair was key but I don't swear by this. One, it hurts. On the lowest setting it's not so bad but on 5, OW!! I would shave in morning and use after work or maybe I wasn't getting perfectly smooth shave, or maybe my eyesight doesn't see such tiny hairs anymore, but if u have the slightest stubble this thing is painful. Now it's not so painful that u throw it away, but a more gradual thing. After 6 months it's almost like the "Pavlov dog" experience. I now dread using this machine. I started out every week and slowly just avoid it. I wish I could return it.

Well u must now be asking "did u have any results?". Yes and no. Had good results on my bikini line. Maybe it's easy to see, small area, but it worked. Slowed hair. But once u stop using it, hair grows back. It's not permanent. Arm pits were ok, but I found it hurts there the most. Legs not really, it takes too long and I don't have the patience for such a large area. (Tip is small and it takes a lot of zaps). But the one reason I purchased this for, the mustache, and it was useless. Did nothing. Even though I have brown hair, my facial hair is very light. So it did nothing. Tria advertised that it wouldn't work on light hair but I guess my friend convinced me. Do not get for light hair!!!!!!

So what do u take away from this review? overall I am lazy and have a low tolerance for pain and wasted $400 on this machine. Buyer beware!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am on my 4th use of the Tria- using it everywhere I wanted to 4x now. I have dark, rather thick hair I have hated for forever and am very light skinned/pale. I'm so pale that the hair on my legs is still visible underneath my skin when I'm done shaving as a little dark dot, which really irritates me. I've had professional lasering and IPL done to help counteract this all over the years but could never afford to keep up with it or do it as often as required...so never got much for results for very long.
This unit was an awesome gift from my husband for Christmas and I have been using it for a couple months now. I could not have been more excited to get this and try it out.
The pain level for me depends on the area I'm treating. Doing my armpits there is no pain or barely felt...an area I thought would be pretty sensitive. Doing my legs, I can now do a level 4 but still wince a bit. I started with a level 3 but as time has progressed I could move it up- possibly because the hair has gotten thinner. I can do a level 5 on my chin without much issue at all. My arms I can do a level 5 with no pain. It all depends on the thickness of hair and the area being done. My sister has very fine, lighter colored hair and couldn't feel a thing. So again- your pain level will just depend on those factors, thickness and darkness of hair and area being treated. I've tried it with and without the gel they sell it with, and it has made zero difference in pain or anything else. I wouldn't buy it again.
After my 3rd and 4th treatment I am noticing that the hair growing in slower and I am less stubbly and don't feel I need to shave as often, which I love. My skin feels smoother. Some of the hairs that used to grow in dark on my chin are now clear and thinner.
The unit itself is easy to hold and portable and charges pretty quickly. It can be a bit loud when using it because of the fan, but I can turn up the tv and continue on while watching a show. I love that I can and WILL continue to use this on my own, without having to make an appt. and fork over a bunch of money every couple weeks. If I want to go over a spot more often, I can. I can do touch ups on my own. The effects of regular use with this on me seem to be getting progressively better. I loooove not having stubble at the end of the day like I used to, even after shaving.
Overall I am really happy with this unit and will continue to use it every 2-3 weeks as suggested. I am very happy with the results so far, but will be even happier if the little dark dots under my skin on my legs go away after some period of time. I will be back to update in another few uses and we will see where I am at. So far, so good!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by KathleenS

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I purchased this. I have struggled a long time with dark hairs on my face. I have fair skin so they are very visible and I have engaged in a constant battle to get rid of them with waxing, depilating, and plucking. I finally bought a tria and after three treatments I have to say that I have seen a big improvement. I will still need to continue to use this to zap the ones that continue to grow in but this was completely worth the money. I would buy another one if I needed to and will use it as long as I need to. I have used it for three consecutive weeks rather than waiting for two weeks between treatments - I got impatient. I will probably wait for two weeks now that the number of hairs is somewhat reduced.

I use it on the highest setting and it does sting a little. Mostly I think I am anticipating the zap so I jump a little when I trigger it. But I always find myself running 'Another One Bites the Dust' through my head (for those of you who know that song by Queen) and rejoicing that another hair is history, gone, outta here. It makes me so happy. Even if I can't get rid of all of them I am just glad that so many are finally gone. I don't mind plucking a few now and then.

I bought mine from Amazon.

3/25/14 I am still loving this. I actually had a hair sprouting on my chin and when I rubbed it it fell out right then and there. I can still feel stubble on my chin in the morning so I still have a ways to go but for anyone who has suffered with dark chin hairs this has been such an esteem booster. The skin itself is getting fewer ingrown hairs, which I use to get all the time, and is smoother and lighter than before. I hadn't realized just how bad I felt about my face until these hairs began to go away.

8/12/14 So this unit stopped working and because I bought it from Amazon the timeframe in which to return it has expired. I found that my hairs all ended up growing back so I am back to plucking, etc...Sigh.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by reaton1917

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Permanent hair removal doesn't happen. Yes a laser will cause most hairs to fall out and not come back for 6 weeks or so, but once you stop the treatment, they do come back and not all are finer than the originals! Maybe this works for women with very fine dark hairs, but if you have thick hair or already have some white thick hairs (greying), then save your money and your face. This hurts, and is basically giving you a sunburn every time you use this so don't forget that it can damage your skin long term. It only took 6 months for my hair to start coming back and I now have a beard to manage under my chin and around my mouth where I tried laser hair removal. As much as I wished this worked, we are just being lead down the road to future disappointment and maybe skin cancer at a high price. I wish I had never done this, before I had a few hairs and now I have a beard to manage daily.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2014 12:19:00 AM More reviews by combatmedicwife

*Almost all hair eventually grew back- 4 years post treatment review! Product not built to last indefinitely!~*
Keep in mind I bought this laser years ago, when the cost was around $700, not the newer $400 4x model but I cannot imagine it being much different except for price and look. From what I can tell; same usage guidelines and guarantees. I was so excited for this because I'd wanted electrolysis for years.
After a couple years it just stopped working. After the little activator stopped working it was essentially useless. You can't use the laser if you can't get the activator to work- and there was no way to change the battery or recharge it. I was even told by the company at the time it had a predetermined amount of charges! It isn't meant for indefinite use (or at least it wasn't- maybe things have changed).
Battery life was never enough. (Now it is up to 30 mins. That's better at least.) Surface area treated was small- tedious work. It was relatively painful, yeah, but that's to be expected and can't be used against the rating.
As far as results go... Short term results were nice. I did my underarms and bikini areas pretty religiously. I treated as prescribed, and actually more. At the time, for the first year or so after I was done, hair regrowth was pretty diminished. Maybe 60%. Now I'm on the other side of the fence- this is a little over 4 years after the beginning of my tria purchase and most of the hair eventually regenerated and grew back. It took quite awhile for some but it happened. Long term, the Tria maybe permanently killed only 15% of the hair follicles I treated if I had to estimate, TOPS!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2013 4:52:00 PM More reviews by Suzie2013

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I have been using the Tria Laser, older version before the 4X one, for 14 months now and have yet to experience the marketing claims that it will leave you permanently hair free. The ads you see on TV claim that this product will leave you permanently hair free, yet the information you receive in the box says you will be betweein 70-80% perm. hair free. I have noticed a reduction in the volume of hair, but have yet been able to say that I am completely hair free. So, the ads you see on TV are making a false claim. I still have to use my razor. Glad I did not throw them all out. Rather than shaving my underarm hair every 2 days, I can get away with not shaving for maybe 4-5 days. Shaving my bikini line about once every 3-4 weeks rather than the next day. My hair is black, moderately course and have always shaved. My skin colour is white, with some degree of melanin to give me an olive skin tone that turns brown easily in little sun exposure, so it should have worked for me. I am not quite happy with the results of the Tria Laser. Also, it takes such a long time to use on your legs. It took me about 4 hours to treat my legs entirely, excluding my bikini line, as I had to continuously recharge it. The laser takes about 3 seconds for each exposure, which is a little slower than I had expected, but even with the 4X version, not sure one would get any better results than I did. My advice is that if you really want to buy it, do so with the intention of using it only for your underarms and bikini line, but be aware that you will not be 100% permanently hair free. If you want your legs to be 100% hair free, then go and do it in a specialized hair removal salon to have it lasered off there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2013 8:04:00 AM More reviews by epallaron

I purchased the TRIA Laser Hair Removal last August. I had the menopausal hair spouts on the chin and lip line and fine blonde hair on my jaw line. Like others it was hard for me to think about putting a razor to my face. I had previously gone every few months for electrolysis, but needed something way more permanent. A year later, I can clearly say this product does not work. If I didn't continue to shave every few weeks that the hair cycle comes back and use this product continuously, may hair would always come back and in the same spots. I never plucked my hair or shaved previously so the hairs that are coming out must be from the same batch. It's frustrating because the electrolysis was working better but more painful and I would break out. I break out less with the Laser but still do a bit. I have this product on the strongest strength and it does sting. Sorry about the long review, but save your money here and go to a professional laser hair removal place. I had my legs done at Elase 5 years ago and not one hair has come back. I paid $1,500 for both legs. Worth every penny. Will save my money and have my face done too.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by ladyak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the Tria laser 4x a few months ago for $450 at Sephora. I got VIB status, quite a few make up samples, and free shipping. Sephora has a good return policy (like the official Tria website), so I decided to buy it there because of all the good 'extras' you get. (VIB welcome kit - 10% off next purchase and a Free 45 min. makeover at any Sephora location, which is $50 at the store). That made me feel like the Tria laser was 'just' $400.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting this laser thingy because I can't afford getting professional laser or electrolysis done. I'm also embarrassed by my hairs and there is no way I'll get naked in front of a stranger to get them removed. Getting it done at home by myself was a plus.

What made me not so sure about getting the laser and only CON for me was one of the warnings.
It states: Laser hair removal can cause increased hair growth. "Based upon currently available data, the highest risk group for this response is females of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and South Asian heritage treated on the face and neck."

I have Mediterranean roots (Italian-Spanish), which is the reason why I'm so hairy to begin with (No PCOS, no overweight or anything else, doctors say it's genetic. I have hair everywhere but my palms and soles, and I've been hairy as long as I remember 7-8 y.o.). I wanted this laser mainly to use it on my chin-neck area. I wanted it for other places as well, but seeing those prickly little black hairs on my chin, and having to check and wax/pluck pretty much daily, makes other hairs not so bad because I can just cover them with clothes. I also have Germanic roots, which I think is why I came out pale, so, pale with jet black body hair, perfect for this little device. So, I gave it a try.

I've never put a razor on my face before, and the idea of doing so as a preparation for this made me a bit scared. Also a bit sad. I felt like women are NOT supposed to do it and if you do, you are like a man. And having that waring in mind, made me even more scared.
I finally gave up and after having the laser sitting at home for a couple months I opened it, grabbed a razor and gave it a try. I decided to do a patch test before doing my whole face. In case the laser didn't work, I would just have a tiny square affected by that contraindication.

Review July 15th 2013: I tried it in a patch of about 1 inch and half by one inch. on my chin-jawline. For the first treatment I used the laser at level 2. It hurt. On the next 3 treatments I upgraded to level 3 and it hurt even more. I had no professional laser done, so I can't compare the pain but, to me it wasn't like a rubber band snap, it just burnt like a F. after each zap. I do have tattoos (around 14 hours spent getting them) and the feeling is not even close. This laser hurts way more.
Now, after the 4rth treatment I have a little patch of about half inch with no hair growing on it!! Some of the other hairs are still prickly and another couple seem a bit lighter. But I still have a long way to go.
I just finished my second treatment on my underarms at level 2, and there is obviously no change yet. (I haven't charged the laser yet. So far I still have the full three battery bars).

**EDIT NOVEMBER 13TH 2013: It works!! I have to say that I'm not 100% hair free on the areas I treated, but the hair reduction is amazing. I've been using it for about four months and I couldn't be any happier.
-Chin/neck area: It's where I noticed the biggest improvement. The 'bald' patch that I initially had its gotten bigger (like a thumb lol)! No hair at all! The rest of the hairs that I have are finer. Some of them still grow black but not prickly, and the rest are way lighter than they used to be. I can go for 2 full days without shaving any hair and nobody would notice. (Treated at level 3).
-Sideburns: Almost gone. The hair grows way thinner. I have 7 hairs left on one side and 10 on the other. Yes, I counted them haha I can't believe I'm able to do so, because at first it was impossible. (level 3)
-Upper lip: This area is the one that I wish it worked better. I still have some hairs (thinner and lesser amount), but they still grow black and I get that upper lip ugly shadow. It improved for sure, but I hoped they would be gone by now as they were initially 'thin' hairs. (level 3).
-Underarms: Hairs are way thinner and I've got some bald little patches with no hair on them. The hairs were prickly black so using anything higher that lever 2 was a torture. I'll start on level 3 soon.
-Legs: I didn't have a lot of free time, so I couldn't continue treating that area. I left it after 2 or 3 treatments I believe. Now that I have more time I got back to it and I'm on the second treatment and so far I can't see any improvements yet. (level 3)

Overall I'm very very happy with the Tria laser after four months of use and the only regret I have is not getting it sooner. I can go chin up now! :) After reading the old review I sounded pretty depressing I must say, but now I have way more confidence and I'm happier. If I ever run out of zaps on the laser before I'm done I'll buy it again for sure!

+Please, COVER your tattoos if you are going to use the laser near them (1 to 2 inches), if the laser goes on them, tattoos will blister and eventually scar or get removed. Laser targets dark pigments on the skin so, it will also hurt A LOT! Anything like a piece of white tape will work.

-I'm sorry added more than the actual review, but I know that there are more women out there having the same hair issues, and I just want to let them know that they are not alone on this.

26 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2013 4:17:00 AM More reviews by ToSirWithLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm sitting on my bed at 3AM, waiting for my lidocaine cream to kick in so I can Tria my underarms, and I figured this would be a good time to write a review. This is a somewhat premature review at this point in time because I've only been zapping for 3 months, but I'll update as I continue to use this device.

I bought this in April from Sephora during their Chic Week (15% discount and it bumped me up to VIB status for the rest of the year). I've tried to be good about using it every week. I bought it primarily for upper lip and underarms. I'm fair with dark hair.

First of all, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this hurts like a mofo. I believe I have a high pain threshold, and this really does sting. I use the highest setting because I don't want to waste my time for a smidge less pain. It doesn't feel like a rubber band snap. It literally feels like a pinpoint laser is penetrating your flesh and blasting cells within your body, which is exactly what it's doing. Imagine what that must feel like, and it's a little worse than that.

Now don't get me wrong. It's by no means unbearable and the pain does NOT linger. Once you've zapped, there's no more pain. You're good to go. It hurts enough that I kind of dread having to use it, but not enough to deter me from getting it out every week, if that makes sense. I use lidocaine creams to help numb the skin, and sometimes they help quite a bit. Any drugstore will have them. The areas where I use this are notoriously sensitive, too, so I imagine if I used this mostly on my legs it would be so bad. Underarms and upper lip though... Ouch.

The good news is that it is working. I have a lot of dark hair under my arms, and it is already growing in noticeably less dense. The perma-shadow under my arms from the dark hairs under the skin's surface is getting lighter. This is exciting! It also seems to be doing a good job on the corners of my upper lip where the hairs tend to be coarser and darker, although the finer, lighter hairs are not responding quite as well yet.

I find the device itself pretty noisy, because it beeps on every zap and has a powerful fan to keep the laser cool. The fan kicks in almost immediately and stays on for most of the zapping. This is not something you could sneak around and use without piquing others' curiosity, if you don't live alone. The fan also comes on when the unit is charging, which is weird.

The device holds a charge pretty well so far, so no complaints there. It's comfortable to hold and feels like it's good quality. I wanted green but they only had pink, so I deducted one star for that (just kidding).

As others have pointed out, the treatment area of the device is very very small. Bigger would be nice so as to get the sessions over with quicker, but I'll take what I can get.

All in all, this was an expensive purchase that I do not regret.

EDIT 3/1/14: shortly after I wrote this review, I put the Tria in the closet and haven't pulled it out since. That's partly due to laziness, and partly due to being sick of anticipating the pain. Thankfully, the treated areas that took, seem to still be hairless. I need to get it back out and do my under arms some more, since they never got to the hairless stage, just the "thinned out" stage. But my toes, unibrow, and coarse upper lip hair are still gone, which is pretty cool. (Tria says not to use it near your eyes, so that eyebrow business... you didn't hear that from me)

AllDayChemist, which is an overseas pharmacy a lot of people use to buy Retin A and Latisse, sells a 10% lidocaine spray that I plan to order, in hopes that it will make the underarms less excruciating.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No