LUSH Dark Angels

Rhassoul Mud, Cold Pressed Avocado Oil, Glycerine, Powdered Charcoal, Black Sugar, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Perfume, Linalool, Sandalwood Oil, Rosewood oil (VEGAN)

This is a pretty average scrub. I use it as a mask 2-3 times a week for 10-15 minutes, so I don't rub it in as much as I would a regular scrub. It's pretty easy to use; you pinch off a part of it and put a few drops of water in, then you mix it until it becomes pasty. Be careful about keeping the rest of the product dry though, as water will set it off and quicken its expiry. It smells a bit soapy, but it's not too strong. I like how this doesn't leave my skin feeling super dry after, but it did help in drying out acne. It doesn't dry out pimples as fast as a concentrated drying lotion would, but it does speed up the process a tiny bit for me. What I don't like about this is that it leaves a grey film on your face, even after you've washed it off. I often have to use another cleanser or cleansing wipe after I use this. It cleans pretty well. It removes make up, but the grey film just makes that part sort of negligible. Apart from the grey film, the majority of the paste does take a while to rinse off. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons for me, but I wouldn't buy this again because I'm on a budget and this doesn't seem worth the price.

on 3/8/2015 3:11:00 PM

Wow. Just wow. I didn't expect much from this product when I was passive-aggressively bullied into buying it by the overly enthusiastic lush staff...but it's soooo much better than I imagined! I have very pale, very sensitive, acne-prone skin, with lots of hyperpigmentation, so am usually a bit wary of exfoliating products. Every one I've tried (even homemade oatmeal scrubs and stuff like that) have irritated my skin, and I've become a sore, red, blotchy mess. But despite the really gritty, abrasive texture of Dark Angels, it had the exact opposite effect! After I rinsed it off, my skin felt amazingly smooth, and actually looked less red, and less irritated than when I started. Using it twice weekly seems to be doing the trick with helping to fade my hyperpigmentation and old acne-scars, and it's a lot less painful than the lemon juice trick! I know it's marketed as a treatment for very oily skin, but I'm not sure if it's made much of a difference to my oily t-zone. Lots of people don't seem to like the smell, but personally, I like the charcoal smell! It makes me feel really clean after I've used it. The only thing I don't love about it is how messy it is! It literally get EVERYWHERE. I have white tiles in my bathroom, and I have to wipe them down every time I use it, and clean out the sink or bath tub or it stains :( but I can deal with a bit of extra cleaning if it makes my skin look pretty :D

Why do I ever stop using this? Oh yeah I'm a product junkie and keep getting distracted by different things.

I have been huge fan of Angels on Bare Skin since i was teenager but since threading my chin i need something stronger for exfoliating to avoid blocked pores and ingrown hairs, for some reason I started using Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Scrub, nice enough but wasn't really helping my skin at all.

Dark Angels is magical though, within days of starting to use it my skin is so much smoother and less blocked pores than I've had in a long time. It's quite hard so now my skin is improved I will start alternating with Angels on Bare Skin now I have discovered Lush skincare again.

Price is reasonable as i find the small tub lasts me well, I use it in the shower so no issue with mess.

on 2/10/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I asked the LUSH worker which products she recommended for really oily skin and she directed me to this. Honestly, it didn't do much for my oily skin. I used it in the shower at the end of the day and it did a really good job of removing my makeup, but other than that, it didn't do much. Like after my shower, my skin would feel nice and bare and clean but this product did nothing to prevent it from oiling right back up. I liked it a decent amount, but I don't think it's worth the money for what it does.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is perfect. Absolutely perfect. I have oily/combo skin, NC15, super acne-prone and red and scarred beyond belief. Every exfoliating cleanser I've ever tried on my face (EVER) has left me red and irritated after, and so I avoided anything that might be even the smallest bit harsh. My sister bought this a few weeks back, and as a snoopy sister, I had to try this out. I massaged a small amount with water all over my face and chest (some acne there). I do this in the shower to avoid a mess, it gets everywhere. When I got out? No redness, a perfect, calm complexion (minus my zits) and super soft skin. I was SHOCKED. So I kept using it (bought my own lol) for 2 weeks. It completely cleared up my chest acne, keeps my face soft, has lightened my scars and has controlled my breakouts to a tee! A large container is about 20 dollars, but it will last you about 4 months if you use it right, if not longer, so its a steal! I will never buy another face wash and I mean it. I was never one to think a face wash could make a difference, but I was wrong!!!

on 2/3/2015 5:39:00 PM

I had a face treatment at the lush store and it was amazing! So amazing I bought the products and was so excited to re-create my store facial experience. FAIL! For some reason, my product felt a lot grittier / harsh on my skin. It was very abrasive. I hated that I black under my nails and all over my bathtub and white shower curtain. I returned it and I felt so awful because it just didn't work for me. Thankfully, my local lush shop knows me and totally took care of me.

Absolute god send!!

I tend to get red/blotchy skin and spots around my jawline (hormonal) and the occasional ones on my t-zone. I've tried so many products I've lost count, and even more expensive ones like Clinique, although they worked a bit, never really sorted it.

So after seeing Lush had renovated their shops I thought I'd go take a look..
Went in with the intention of buying coalface which I'd heard good reviews of, and then the lovely sales assistant showed me this as she said they're similar. I personally like the consistency of it - yes it is a bit messy but nothing too bad - and you can change the consistency by adding more/less water which I like. I tend to use a tiny bit of dark angels and a fair bit of water, making it perfect for daily use.

I've only been using this product about a week and it is honestly the most amazing thing EVER. My skin feels so soft! It doesn't dry it out but it definitely takes away the excess oil. My skin is clearer, not patchy at all and my existing spots just seem to be disappearing!
I've not experienced the grey film that I've read in some of the reviews, so for me this product is absolutely perfect. Plus the price is a bonus - usually use Kiehls, Clinique, Estee Lauder and Origins which are considerably more expensive - yet they don't have a patch on this cleanser!

I am now a Lush addict thanks to this product. Can't wait to try out more products from the brand!!

on 12/27/2014 1:38:00 AM

I felt like the product was so-so. It looks really cool and interesting, but the sugars in the cleanser was waayy too harsh. It was also very messy too, so I only used it in the shower. It had this really strong clay paint like smell too, which I didn't mind. I used the rest of this cleanser on my body, because my face was too sensitive for it. It's also pretty pricey, but it does its job at exfoliating.

on 12/24/2014 8:03:00 AM

First let me tell you a bit about my skin as every person's skin is different. I'm 30 years old. I have sensitive-combination skin, rarely breakout, very oily in places, and I'm dry on forehead, under-eyes, and cheeks. My holy grail products are Yes to Cucumber cleanser and Cetaphil moisturizer. Usually leaves me with a Disney Princess, glowing complexion. I've found less is more. Less chemicals = better skin.

Ok, so I purchased Dark Angels in hopes of going the less chemical route and hoping it would clear up my blackheads.

The first week of using Dark Angels I was impressed! I even got compliments on how great my skin looked! I didn't mind that it was messy, not very user friendly, and left black stains in my nail beds.

However...

After a week of use... my skin started coming up in a horrible rash after cleansing. MIND YOU, I was not scrubbing my face, but gently buffing. I have sensitive skin so scrubbing is not an option.

I also got a deep cystic acne bump on my chin! I haven't had one of those since I was in high school! Just under my cheek bones starting breaking out in these tiny bumps and white heads. It was disgusting.

My typically clear complexion was sabotaged!

I reeeeeeally wanted to like this product because Lush is a hip company that doesn't do animal testing, but they operate under a facade that they are natural. They still use perfumes in cleanser?? That's a no-no. Dark Angels contains perfume. Also contains chemicals and sulphates. Also a BIG no-no for natural skin care.

I don't think I would really recommend this cleanser to ANYone. No matter skin type.

This is the first time I've ever written a review about a beauty product so I feel ever so passionate about spreading the word lol!

Do not waste your money. My dermatologist took one look at the pot of Dark Angels and went "Oh no. No, no, no."

I will be returning to my "Yes to.." cleanser and Cetaphil.

Wise up, ladies. :)

on 12/18/2014 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

i have repurchased this for over and year and just switched to angels on bare skin for a more gentle option.
black coal face scrub in a dry powder form. needs to be mixed with water before applied to the face. brown sugar acts as the main exfoliant. doesn't have a strong smell but does have one which i cannot explain.
it is quite abrasive on the skin when you use it though if you use a very small amount and mix with water, the sugar tends to melt and you have a nice face scrub.
they recommend to use this once every three days because its so abrasive but i was using it every night.
doesn't leave my face dry after I've used it. never felt 'over exfoliated' maybe my skin is bit more resilient. leaves a very very light oil film on the skin - nothing too heavy or uncomfortable.
made my whole sink dirty though because it is black. i had black particles everywhere.
comes in a the lush black pot, try not to get water into it because it then accelerates its expiry. $16AUD for the pot that lasted me 3-4 months use.
another tip is this is great as a mask. mix a larger amount with water and slather it on the face, wait for it to dry. never irritated my acne- it actually helped with it.