October 26, 2014 | 1481 users online

Eye Primer - Smashbox - Photo Finish Lid Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 3:04:00 PM More reviews by lauriehall

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I prefer a natural look and I have dark eye lids (olive skin tones). I am trying to brighten up my eyes. I use the primer with eye shadow dusted on top and it lasts exactly the way I applied it until bed time when I wash it off. The eye shadow I use is Bobbi Brown Ivory. Oh and also I am using Smashbox Full Exposure mascara.

I have been using this primer for a couple of months. I have tried two other primers: Too Faced and Urban Decay. This is the best of all. I apply it with a long handled small flat brush - I don't use their applicator. I can control the coverage better with my brush.

Super good product and this is the first time I've ever bought Smashbox cosmetics - I'm impressed!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by MichPaon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really enjoyed this product! In the past eye lid primers have dried out my eyelids, but this was not the case! It went on very well and was neither thick nor heavy. However I use the product sparingly, after all there is no need to cake on primer! I was worried the colour of the primer would show through, but I did not at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2014 10:51:00 PM More reviews by OrsonWiggles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's a good product. It does what it's supposed to- hold your eye make up in place. But I must admit, I don't wear heavy eye-shadow on a regular basis, and mostly just use it to keep my eyeliner in place. I like it. I haven't tried any other eye primers so I can't really compare. I didn't pay a lot of money for it because I got it at Winners, so I have no complaints. It applies with a peachy colour, but that fades after it dries.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Jymmie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am quite surprised by the negative reviews on this. I bought the Try Me kit that included a sample of this lid primer, and after I had used it a few times, I went out and bought a full size of it! I have the UDPP as well, in Eden, but I prefer the consistency and finish that the Smashbox primer has. No creasing and no shimmer :) It makes my eyeshadows stay put all day. I may not repurchase the Urban Decay primer, but I will definitely repurchase the Smashbox primer again and again. (PS. I have oily skin, if that helps)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Kittens88

I purchased a Smashbox Starter Kit at Sephora as I figured for $20CDN, you received quite a nice sample set of Smashboxs' best sellers.

In this set there was a sample of the Photo Finish Lid Primer. It came in a .02fl oz/.05ml container with a doe foot applicator. Similar to the previous Urban Decay PP bottles.

For the past few years I have been using UDPP and have been just content with it. So I was eager to try this new one.

First thing I noticed when I opened it was how similar the constancy was to UDPP. A nice thick and creamy mixture. Perhaps a tad thicker than UDPP. The colour was a dark beige which dries quite matte. No shimmer or anything scented happening.

As for holding power, I am quite impressed! My shadow lasted all day. No creasing, nothing. As for colour vibrancy? Pretty impressive. My shadow appeared to be vibrant and stood out.

But my biggest peeve with this stuff? It dries out super quick. I had the sample for not even a month before everything dried out and I couldn't use it. So it lost a lippie due to that issue. I think if Smashbox followed suit of UDPP and put it in a squeeze tube, it would fair much better.

I am impressed by how well this performed and I am surprised that it does not get a better rep. Perhaps it is the issue of drying out that turns a lot of people away, but to be honest, I would go out and purchase a full size bottle once my current stash of UDPP runs out.

Happy Shopping!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 3:26:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd say this is a middle of the road primer. Its not bad, but its not good.

Its quite dry, also it has a color to it. The color is quite orange and noticeable for my fair skin. So, keep in mind if you're fair-light this may look orangey.

It did make my eye-shadow stick better and last an ok time, but for this price there is better alternatives.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 7:54:00 AM More reviews by leeyinmei

Thisw as my first eye lid primer and i must say it was pretty great. My eye shadow lasted at least 6 hrs without creasing. I have also tried the newer shadow insurance by too faced which is very good but a tad dry. I have re purchased the smashbox as there was an offer for two at a reduced price. The shadow insurance is slight pricier.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by kattay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It reminds me a lot of the Elf Eyelid Primer, but this stuff is thicker. It kept my shadow and liner looking good for about 3 hours. After that, it looked awful. I'm just happy i only got a travel size. Going back to UDPP.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2014 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Sweetheart7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used the Too Faced Eye Shadow primer (one in the light blue tube) since I started doing my makeup but decided to try this. For this primer, I like the feel and application of this. Compared to the Too Faced primer, it blends easier and my lids don't feel tight/dry when I apply eye shadow.
I think the packaging is nice and good for travel. But I am all about keeping things hygienic and I would prefer not having to dip into the product each time I use it. I didn't notice any creasing of my shadow which was on for a few hours, but my shadow didn't seem as bright I guess after a few hours. But I don't see it as a problem, I am more worried about it creasing instead.
I do think that this is a good primer and worth trying out if you don't wear a lot of eye makeup, need something for oily eyelids, very basic eye looks and etc. But personally I won't repurchase this right now because I feel that the Too Faced one is better for long periods of time where as the Smashbox is good for a couple hours.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2014 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I got a sample of this from Sephora, and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on this primer. While it's not terrible, there are much better primers out there for the same price or even less. My biggest issue with this primer is how dry it is. If I use too little it's very difficult to blend evenly onto the lid, and if I use too much it flakes and gives my lids a dry, cracked look. It's hard to get just the right amount onto each lid, and to blend it quickly before it starts setting and becoming even more dry. Although this looks and feels very dry, it's actually pretty easy to blend any products on top of. I've used shimmery shadows, matte shadows, and cream shadows over this, and they all blend very nicely (unless you used too much primer; then it will look flakey). This does keep my shadows from creasing pretty much all day, but I find that when I use this my shadows tend to fade and become less vibrant throughout the day. I'm also not huge on the packaging -- I'd prefer a squeeze tube because it's easier to control the amount and to get out the last of the product. I would pass on this primer -- I've found better ones for a fraction of the price at the drugstore.