December 18, 2014 | 1631 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by JezebelTruant

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had heard such ravings about this product and line that I decided I had to try it. Being a bit skeptical, I bought the travel version, 0.5 oz. I paid 15.00 for it, which was upsetting... but if it was as amazing as hailed, I wouldn't have minded.

Alas! It was not. It was not amazing, or great, or even good. It was merely 'Blah.' And to top it off, it dried out in just a few days even with the cap secured.

If I want to dump money into over hyped junk that doesn't work, I think I have the number for California Psychics around somewhere.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/10/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by alioo3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this as one of those inflight purchases in a kit with the purity made simple cleanser. I paid 50 which I think was a gross overpayment for something that didn't really do anything. No, I didn't break out while using this (I finished the jar which took a good 5+ months) but my skin didn't really look any better, either. Wouldn't buy again.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2014 1:58:00 AM More reviews by CMDJMW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've used this product along with other items from the Philosophy skin care line religiously for at least two years.

I have sensitive skin which is prone to breakouts when the seasons change - where I am from we have four drastically different seasons.

I, unlike other users here, actually love the smell and I love how it feels on my face, how it absorbs and how the cream itself glistens in the jar when I open it and stick my fingers in. Initially I saw a huge improvement in my skin and it had been a constant love of mine until about a month ago.

Lately my fine lines are getting more prominent and I am having dry skin and acne issues around my mouth and chin which won't dissipate. Also my cheeks are red and blotchy.

I've switched to a retinal and green tea rich cream which I just started today. My skin needs a change I think but I would definitely return to this brand in the future if I fail to find something I like better after trying a few different things.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by sweetsister66

I have acne prone skin that tends to scar easily. I've also noticed as I've gotten older, I am drier as well, so I need a moisturizer that won't clog my pores and make me break out. HIAJ does the trick for me. I have been using it for years and it does not cause breakouts or clogged pores. It is lightweight with a souffle like texture. The smell is off putting at first, but it fades and it doesn't bother me too much. if it gets too close to the eyes, it will sting, and since it does have a mild exfoliating ingredient, it may also sting slightly if sensitice skin is an issue, so beware. I use in conjunction with Purity Made Simple and Retin A Micro and my skin is the clearest it will ever be.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2014 11:46:00 PM More reviews by annalisameyer

Works fine, smells terrible. Definitely will not repurchase!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by Love4Tulips

I got a free deluxe sample of Hope in a jar, and all I can say is my eyes burn everytime I put this on. I can be putting this on my chin and my eyes will burn, my forehead and my eyes will burn, anywhere, and my eyes will burn!! The smell is herbal, but not at all pleasant (and I usually like natural/herbal scents). I would never purchase this! Enough said!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, so I bought a whole 'try me kit' including the Purity Made Simple cleanser, the Microdelivery facial wash, Hope in a jar night and this Hope in a Jar all skin types original formula. Now, If you are new to Philosophy (like I was three weeks ago) please don't rush yourself. I wish someone had told me that. Especially if you had reactions to cosmetics in the past.

Initially, I loved this set. I had been suffering with breakouts on my chin which when I started this set were still semi active. In fact, they would get better and then a few days later get worse like a cycle. Anyway, for the first two weeks of using this set my skin looked the best in months: my breakouts were healing rapidly, my skin had a glow, my skin tone looked lovely and even... However, my skin also started to become really dehydrated and sometimes scaly. The dehydration was so fierce that when I smiled I had lots of dehydration lines (resembling fine lines) around my eyes and cheeks- they were not there before! My forehead and cheeks were bumpy (micro red pumps only visible up close)... And not only my breakouts started coming back (that's ok, I am not blaming this line for this) but also new breakouts popped up. Now, I am not talking about the type of breakouts I was already having. These were new and not limited to my chin. I developed a few red big lumps like boils but with no head on my neck. On my chin, I developed a boil with several heads- never had I seen something like that! On my cheek, a huge boil that had a head made of hard sebum... Sorry for the unpleasant description, but I thought I might as well be as informative as I can. These breakouts do not respond to benzoyl peroxide, they are not acne. They are something else that I never had before and to be honest I am a bit scared. I might have to go to the doctor or perhaps even a specialist. I stopped using the creams three days ago and the boils still look the same....

Back to this cream... It smells horrible, like rotten milk, eggs and synthetic lavender. Some people described the smell as wet dog, I agree with that description! The consistency is ok, it melts in the skin nicely but does not truly moisturise, at least not enough. As I mentioned my skin is very dehydrated from this set. It also makes my skin become really shiny after a couple of hours and when paired with foundation goes even more shiny and even more quickly. The jar is unsanitary but I was scooping some out with a q-tip every time so that is not too bad. My makeup looked strange on top of this though. Like my skin was rough and dry, and after an hour or so... my face would be an oil slick and makeup would look caky.

The glow in my skin is gone which goes to show that this product do not provide any long term results - I used the set for approx. 3 weeks. Stopped three days ago. Any benefits I got from this moisturiser are gone, however, the bad reaction is still here in all its glory.

I am still using the Microdelivery face wash and the Purity cleanser. I am trying to figure out if those are safe and effective. But hope in a jar is finished and I am not going back for more. Hope in a jar night has some product left but I don't want it anywhere near my face. In fact, this is the first time that I feel I have to throw a moisturiser in the bin because I don't trust it not even on my neck.

Overall, this is useless, gave me a glow but such glow stopped as soon as I stopped using this. After three weeks, my skin is hurt, presents boils and serious dehydration. It could be just me, but no. Hundreds of people have reported reactions to this product. Philosophy should have the decency of taking it out of the market, but of course, it's all about the money! Worse moisturiser in the whole world. It's a relief to know that this product is so bad. I no longer have to smell like wet dog. Beware, your skin might look very much improved for a couple of weeks... But hang on in there before stocking up!

P.S- It cannot be used anywhere near the eyes. First time I used it, it made my eyes burn even though I didn't use it anywhere near them. Also, it gave me blackheads. Ugh!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't get past the herbal citrus cleaner smell on this. I got a sample size of this with my Sephora points. It made my eyes burn, even though I didn't put it near my eyes. Only used this at night, left skin very moisturized. But there are a ton of better moisturizers out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Yumi2

This moisturizer did nothing for my skin and I believe I've given it multiple chances. The smell doesn't bother me, the light texture is fine but for me it just doesn't hold up to deliver the moisture I need for my face during any season/ environment and it doesn't help to improve the condition of my skin in any way. By the end of it all I really can't figure out what I paid for.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by tinalrichard

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff burns the hell out of my eyes. If it didn't have fragrance in it it would be perfect because when I suffer through and look at myself in the mornings I'm impressed with my skin... But it isn't worth the sufferin!