Bath and Body Works whole store

3.5

on 1/15/2015 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Sigh...once upon a time, Bath and Body Works was my favorite destination. I miss the days when their products were more affordable and scents were simple. Back in the days of the old familiar sunburst logo and gingham tablecloths. The simple, fruity, clean body splashes and lotions have been replaced with pricey, heavy, layered "fine fragrance mist" that all smell the same. Why did they have to mess with a good thing? Why are they pretending to be the Belk perfume counter? Their lotions and shower gels are now so extremely drying because of all the perfume I can no longer use them. To me, it's not worth the money. I prefer to stick with Ulta brand body care or drug store products for way less of the price. I still wander into BBW during their semi-annual sales to see if they brought back any of the discontinued classics, but other than that, I have waved goodbye to the beloved BBW that I fondly remember but is no longer with us.

on 12/27/2014 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have a love/hate relationship with Bath and Body Works. When I was younger (early 2000's) I remember coming in here and thinking it was such a beautiful store, with simple fragrances housed in elegant containers (they once made a shimmer lotion with a pump in a glass bottle). I have fond memories of my grandmother using Country Apple soap when I was a toddler. Now, every new fragrance they come out with smells exactly the same. I do love sugary sweet scents but they are becoming so indistinguishable and it makes me miss the linear fragrances that they keep discontinuing (if I'm lucky I'll catch a couple at the Semi-Annual Sale - Exotic Coconut, Sheer Freesia, White Tea + Ginger, Rainkissed Leaves, Black Amethyst, Coconut Lime Verbena, Juniper Breeze, Sunkissed Raspberry, Wild Honeysuckle, etc). The only thing worth buying in here lately is the Shea Butter lotion, the candles (if they're on sale) and Winter Candy Apple. Don't think I'll be going out of my way to shop here.

I used to love BBW back in the 90's and early 2000's. All the scents were simple, and I knew that they would always be around in the years to come. Scents weren't constantly discontinued left and right, and whenever I wanted a whiff of Country Apple to take me back to my high school years, I could access it easily. Nowadays, you're lucky if your favorite scent sticks around for more than six months. But the big thing for me that made me no longer a fan is when they started trying to become a master perfumer. When they started making scents such as Dark Kiss, Simply Red, etc., it was a turn-off to me because I don't shop at BBW for complex scents. I shop there for the simplicity of the fragrances. If I want something complex, I'll buy a real high-end perfume!

Then, they quit having the Classics come back at the big Semi-Annual Sales! That was the whole reason why I shopped the sales! This was definitely the next big straw for me, so to speak. And now, the new fragrances they come out with all smell the same to me. It's like they all resemble a fruity, berry, vanilla concoction of some sort! Examples are Beautiful Day, Carried Away, Mad About You, Pink Chiffon, Country Chic, etc. Why can't they come back with scents based on a single, simple fruit or other fragrance note? Now, the only things I really shop here for are the hand soaps and the solid white soap bar out of the Shea Butter spa line.

i love bbw. even if i dont buy anything i still go into the store when i have the chance

I'm not rich by any extent, but I'd rather spend the extra money on a real fragrance. I used to like BBW a few years ago, when they had their simple fragrances. Now almost everything smells like generic sickly sweet vanilla/fruity/floral vomit. Me and my boyfriend agree that there are way too many people walking around doused in the sickly sweet chemical smells of places like BBW and Victoria's Secret. Furthermore, because of their low prices, I feel a lot of preteens/teens are misguided that BBW is what a fragrance should smell like, just like I was.
However there is one scent from BBW that I adore, which is "white tea and ginger" and I don't understand why it is not available in stores anymore even though their website claims it's one of their top fragrances. So in my opinion, the pros are: the old fragrances are decent. I like their soaps and I keep a travel sized lotion in my purse. Hand sanitizers and wallflowers are pretty good. Sales can be good. But I usually don't bother walking inside anymore.

on 9/3/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

It's okay. I find that most of their scents are not to my liking. I wear floral/ocean scents, but a majority of these scents smell something my teenybopper classmates (oh, yes, do I hate most of them) would wear. BBW is not totally like that though, seeing as they do sell products that are more sophisticated than childish, but you got to search a bit for them. Yes, they're trying to appeal to my age group. But if only they made more mature scents...

The PocketBacs are DEFINITELY winners in my book. I like the foaming hand soaps too, it reminds me of going to my uncle's house on Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving. The candles are a hit-and miss sort of thing. I can't say much about the wallflowers or triple moisture creams. I like the shower gels. The lotions are okay, I'm in a love-hate relationship with them, but they sure do make my already-soft legs even softer.

on 4/20/2013 11:15:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I like the three wick candles---- when they're on sale. Used to like the wallflowers, but now they're packaged singly and way more expensive. The hand soaps--- yeah, I always have those around. But the shower gels and lotions--- nope. Maybe it's the new scents--- most of them are not appealing to me--- a 12 year old, maybe, but I don't like the quality either. In fact, I feel like the general quality of the store and the products has declined over the years.

on 4/20/2013 10:14:00 AM

There was a point in time in the 90s/ early 2000s, when I shopped at this store frequently & happily used what I bought. The scents I used to like, that are discoutinued, were the original vanilla bean, peach nectar, original freesia, herbal mist, flowering herbs, white gardenia, fresh ginger lime, lemongrass sage, lavender flowers, orange blossom, tranquil tropics. They also used to have yummy seasonal smelling tropical scents without the added floral mid notes & musk/ vanilla bases (if you look at the fragrance descriptions today, the all have top/ middle /base notes & they sneak florals & musk into pretty much everything).

Unfortunately, the scents in this store have gotten really bad. Fake, synthetic, cheap & cloy. Way too strong. I agree with the reviewer who say it's like air freshener for people. Human Febreeze. My husband pretty much hates anything that I have tried to bring into the house (hand soaps, body wash) because of the strong perfumed scents & they make his skin dry and cracked. I give it a 2 because I still like the shampoos & conditioners which don't smell as strong on the hair (cherry blossom & coconut lime verbena), but you can only order online. The unscented hand sanitizer is good, which has a light citrus scent from the mandarin & orange oils that it contains but it does not contain artificial fragrance like the other ones. Also, quite a few people who I know like the hand soaps, so I buys those as gifts. Overall, I pretty much dislike the store now, which is a shame because I used to love it.

on 2/24/2013 12:26:00 PM

I came to BBW late in the game, I guess...I've only been stopping by there for a year or so, and I'm really not that impressed.

I admit it's a colorful, cheerful store, and browsing around, looking at the scents and the candles, is a fun experience. But when it comes to actually buying anything, I find almost nothing. Last Christmas I bought a Winter Woods candle. The throw was just okay. I got stronger fragrance and better throw from some Glade candles I picked up at Walmart.

As for the fragrances, I can't stand the prevalence of sickeningly sweet scents at this store. For some reason I liked Twilight Woods, which is a sweeter and more vanilla type fragrance than I have ever liked before. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why people want to go around smelling like baked goods or sugar or crap like that. The thought makes me want to vomit. I snagged a couple of bottles of Rainkissed Leaves lotion at 75% off, which proves to me that BBW sold a clean, fresh fragrance at least ONCE in its history. But I guess that's in the past, and the shelves are given over to the cupcakes and the frosting and the candy. Blech.

Bath and Body works has really gone down hill in the past few years. Their scents used to be exciting. Now they smell just like every other fruity floral nightmare. every scent really smells the same to me. Boring! Nothing has really excited me since their launch of Twilight woods. I do love their candles though. And I do appreciate that you can get some of their older scents online.

I'll keep purchasing their hand soaps because they really are the best out there. But their prices for their lotions and body washes, ETC are way too high for what they are...

Popular Other Products