Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 4.20%, Titanium Dioxide 2.45%. Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Isododecane, Polysilicone-11, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Hexyl Laurate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-4 Isosterate, Stearic Acid, Alumina

on 5/26/2015 8:33:00 PM

This does nothing!

on 5/17/2015 7:37:00 AM

Received this as a sample and was blown away by how different this primer felt on my skin. 1 pump does my whole face and under eye area. I'm in my 50's and this works fantastic under my eyes to keep my concealer from the "crinkles". Dries to a velvety texture. Keeps my makeup looking fresh for 6-8 hours even in my humid climate. Price is hefty so I use this when I'm going out and/or need makeup to look fresh for several hours. Bare Minerals illuminating primer is my everyday primer. If you can afford it, this primer is excellent. I've had no problems with the pump, watery consistency, separation or oxidizing makeup on my skin.

on 5/15/2015 10:09:00 PM

I regret spending my money on this its does nothing it only keeps me matte for about an hour, will not repurchase.

on 5/12/2015 8:41:00 PM

I’d seen this product mentioned in beauty articles, but would skip right over it once I see its $50 price tag. I somehow ended up grabbing this at the store during the Sephora F&F Sale w/ 20% OFF. I wanted to see if there’s a big difference between a high end primer versus low end, but I wasn’t sure if I could commit to such an expensive primer. My primers have generally lasted me for a long time, so I don’t get to try new ones that often. Alas, I realize, if a product makes you feel beautiful, it’s worth it.

I could not give up product because it really brightened my face and gave it a glow, like a light bulb was turned on inside of me. I have been using one pump for my entire face, but I think it’s still too much product. However, the pump isn’t easy to control if you want to dispense less product (or maybe I didn’t try that hard). It sort of spits out quite aggressively. It comes in a beautiful frosted glass jar with a plastic lid, a bit heavy if you need to take it with you to travel. Probably better to transfer to lighter containers found at Daiso. The product itself is runny in your palm, airy on your face. It spreads easily and your skin feels silky to the touch, almost matte. There’s still a “silicone” feel/texture to it when you spread it on your face, but not as heavy or thick as Smashbox or Too Faced Primed & Poreless . It has a light white/iridescent cast at first, but it blends fine in for me and probably is what gives me that “glow” feeling.

As far as lasting power goes, I can’t say it does an amazing job with keeping my foundation on all day, but a decent job. t could be a combination of the types of products and my application. I have dry/dehydrated skin during winter and combo-oily skin during the summers. I enjoy this more during spring/summer/fall, but for winter, when my skin craves something more moisturizing and less silicone, I switch to something more like Laura Mercier’s primer. There is an expire date on it, so save the box to remember when to finish this by.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This primer costs lots of dollars, but probably not so many that I would fill up my bathtub with dollar bills. Still pretty pricy though.

I'm annoyed with myself because I like it enough to have repurchased at least four or five times, yet I cannot justify or fully articulate the supposed benefits. Yes, it has sunscreen. Yes, it goes on like a dream and is incredibly silky and mutes some of the redness in my skin. Does my foundation last longer when I use it? I think it does, but I've never actually formally tested it against other primers that I've tried.

Also, I find the formula very annoying towards the end. The default size comes in a glass bottle with a pump and always ends up with a bunch of unpumpable stuff at the end. I have to unscrew the top and dig around with the pump tube to extract the last remaining bits.

In sum, I think this is actually a pretty great primer, but at the same time, I wish it could be compared against other primers in a blind test for longevity/pore minimization and other things that primers are supposedly beneficial at doing. At least then I might know if I should spend my dollar bills on this primer, a different primer, taking a bath in dollar bills or smoking them. Science!

on 5/10/2015 2:14:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I seriously don't understand how this is even a primer. When I first tried it, it just felt like I was putting lotion on my face. THATS IT. There was nothing mattifying about this primer and it didn't reduce the look of pores. I returned it the next day. Apparently the formula was changed? Anyways it wasn't even worth the price, waay too expensive.

Would I recommend it? Nope, not to my oily girls that is.

on 5/5/2015 2:03:00 PM

I really wanted this primer to live up to the reviews, but unfortunately for my skin (oily) - it didn't. It goes on smooth and gives a lovely dewy finish to foundation, but by lunchtime I was even oilier than usual. I'm going back to my Paula's Choice Resist SPF 30, which has a much more matifying effect for me.

on 5/1/2015 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Dear Hourglass -- You've made a great primer. I love the fact it's not a weird greasy silicone-y product. Please make the same primer with a little (but not too much) tint to take away the white cast. I am a MAC NC30 (barely a medium skintone) and the whiteness is noticeable. I bet you would have even more fall in love with you if you made two undertones-- one cool and one warm. Give it a thought.

on 4/21/2015 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I wish I didn't like this primer because of the price tag, but I really do. I have oily skin with a pretty even texture, I just needed something to improve the longevity of my makeup and this stuff works! I only need 1 pump for the entire face, and it really does provide a smooth canvas for your foundation. My makeup still looks fresh at the end of a 9 hour day at work. The only reason I wouldn't repurchase is because a 50$ primer isn't exactly within my budget to spend on regularly. If you have the money to do so, then by all means- try this!

on 4/20/2015 11:11:00 PM

Great product. This primer does a good job of smoothing out the skin and keeping the foundation on. I used it everyday on my vacation in Asia where I was sweating a lot. My foundation stayed on fine. I can immediately feel the texture of your skin change as soon as I apply it.

This product is definitely a good investment in your makeup regimen.