December 21, 2014 | 1644 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Yuly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I used the lowest strength retin-a for 7 months. I had a very bad reaction to it at first and later my skin kind of got used to it. Then i suddenly realized that my skin was worse before I started. My face looked like it was made of wax, it was 10 shades lighter then my neck, and my skin was very thin, and less plump. I had no acne problem prior to starting this, just had very slight laugh lines. Now I have deep laugh lines, forehead wrinkles and my cheeks look saggy. Before I started using this God Forsaken cream I used to look much younger. I often got confused for a high school student, now I look 10-15 years older then my age. My eyes also look sunken in, and have very visible under eye bags. I did not use this cream under my eyes ever, by the way. I deeply regret using retin-A, I am very depressed about how my skin looks, to the point of being suicidal sometimes. It has destroyed my self confidence. I have been off it for 3 months and there has been no improvement. I'm afraid the damage it's done to my skin is irreversible. If anyone has gone through this and their skin improved, please send me a message and let me know what you did and how long it took for your skin to recover.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 8:02:00 AM More reviews by xbellabeb

This product saved my skin after 10 years of battling with acne. Just wrote a review of this on my blog - http://bellabae.net/2014/11/28/finally-how-i-cured-my-acne/

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by tepps

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing product for acne and hyperpigmentation; I started using Retin-A 0.05% one year ago. I now use Retin-A micro 0.04% and feel that it is better suited for my skin. A lot of the excessive irritation that many write about in their reviews, can easily be avoided by using the correct amount of product, and by keeping with a simple skincare routine. I use Cerave's Foaming Cleanser to cleanse my skin and I wait 30 minutes prior to applying the Retin-A Micro. I use less than a pea and that covers my entire face. I take less than a pea and place one dot of the product on each cheek, my forehead, chin and nose. I then lightly spread the product around each area of my face. I found that applying the product this way significantly reduced the dryness that I had for the short amount of time that I had the dryness. I then apply Cerave's moisturizing cream 30 minutes later.

In the daytime I use the same Cerave cleanser and I use the ZO Skin Health Daily Power Defence and the ZO Skin Oclipse SPF 30. I also use the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Original Peel once a week during the nighttime and I have never had any sort of irritation. I don't use tretinoin on the night that I use the peel. I also did not peel while using Retin-A at all. For the first two weeks of using tretinoin, I had a little bit of dryness in the morning, but this is normal and goes away after your skin gets accustomed to the product.

I decided to write this review because I see a lot of negative reviews that might hinder someone from using this product and everyone's skin is different. If you are not watching how someone applies the product, nor what they use before during and after use, you cannot take their negative reviews seriously. Something else could be affecting their skin that they nor you know about. Unless you are allergic to the product, which your dermatologist would find out prior to use, you will not get any swelling on your face. It should also not take a year for your skin to get used to the product - especially if you are using this product under a dermatologist's guidance. Of course, if you stop using the product, especially before your skin becomes accustomed to it, your skin is going to revert back to the way it was before you started using it. This is a product that almost every dermatologist/ physician recommends to their patient (including celebrities). The before and after photos speak for themselves. If you ever wonder why someone's skin is amazing even when their in their in their 60s and up, it's definitely because of Tretinoin, peels, and a simple skincare routine.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by guccietro

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Been using this regularly for 20 years. 2 to 3 times a week.
I swear by it.

Can't live without it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2014 5:36:00 PM More reviews by ProductReviewer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Clears up skin, but not any better than other topical products. Even the pea sized amount causes swelling that looks like minimal weight gain. Makes skin peel. And the peeling never goes away, that is how the product works, by peeling the skin. My skin peels every day/every other day, and I've been using it for years. May prevent future photo aging. Overall, improved my skin. I mean, my skin looks great, except for the minor swelling that is always there.

However, do not stop using this product - and I do mean...EVER - it will be worse than before you started it. My dermatologist told me that after years of use, the skin gets used to Retin-A/tretinoin. It gets 'lazy' in effect. I took off for a about a month & it was a disaster. My skin was was rough, dull, hard & dry...like it had lost it's ability to naturally exfoliate itself. And my acne was worse than before I had ever started on it. While I had mild acne before, my acne was much worse after using this product for a few years, and then stopping it. My skin never looked like that before I started on Retin-A. I also never had hardness or dullness, or skin that was 'lazy' in exfoliating itself.

I asked my dermatologist why she never warned me that if I stop using it, this may happen, and she just shrugged and said "it's not something most patients worry about". Now I'm stuck using it, whether I want to or not. Guess I'm OK with this though, since my skin looks so good. But, I'll never know if my skin would have just cleared up on it's own had I given it enough time, or just used something less severe.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 8:29:00 AM More reviews by ironicsymphonic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Background info: I use Tretinoin (generic Retin-A) cream, 0.025%, and have been doing so for just shy of three months now. I use it every other night, 30 minutes after my shower so my face is totally dry. I use Cerave AM in the morning for the SPF content, and sometimes on the "off-nights" for the moisture.

This isn't an acne cure-all for me. I have a long history of acne and only internal measures banish it (that would be a whole other post). However, I LOVE Retin-A for what it does to my skin texture. It has practically erased my red hyperpigmentation (I'm very fair and it was bothering me), and it has made my skin dewy, soft, glowy and smooth. I also had clogged, sandpapery-feeling pores on my nose I couldn't get rid of...gone within two weeks of starting this stuff.

I didn't purge (probably because I'm taking my acne supplements; I do break out when I forget those), but I have sensitive skin and did flake a lot for the first month. I only wash my face with water, so during that month and maybe twice a week now I use a warm, wet washcloth to gently towel excess flaky skin off my face.

Long story short, I don't usually put much stock in skin care products due to my long history with skin troubles. They either never really did much or made things worse. This, however, is one product where I really see a positive difference. Seriously, I'm glowing, and my red pigmented splotches are nearly invisible; they will almost definitely be gone soon.

The supposed anti-aging benefit doesn't hurt anything. I'm still young, but I'd like to keep it (looking) that way! I can definitely see why this would be a good anti-age product...it's tightened up my skin so much already.

I like this stuff. A lot. Definitely going to keep it on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 11:27:00 PM More reviews by powerfulriver

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use the more advanced Tazorac 1%. Been using for over twenty years. I use bha and aha, also Duac, when I need it. All have been awesome. I was on Accutane 2x because my skin was so bad. This routine has cleared any signs of anything. But, the real key is zinc oxide, I have been using sunscreen all my life, everyday. I never thought the leathery tan look was sexy and any man I know doesn't think so either. I'm 43 have no wrinkles no line around my lips eyes even smile line do not exist,

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by prettydarncute

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been put on Retin A 1%, I'm close to finishing the tube. Can anyone advise me where to purchase it at a reasonable price? This stuff is the holy grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2014 4:45:00 AM More reviews by jbluzb86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have used retin-a cream (0.05%) for 1 week! No irritation, redness, mild purging only :)

I follow the directions of waiting 30 mins after washing my face before retin-a application. My routine is as follows:

Wash, Tone, Wait 30 Mins, Apply Retin-A, Apply Vitamin C serum, Apply Night Moisturizer.

Sometimes, I buffer retin-a with my serum. I use a pea-size amount to a bit more to cover my whole face. It has this weird glue smell.

Immediate effect: glowing skin :)

I will update this post how it will affect my skin in the next 3-4 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by LilyMazi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I could have listed the high end brands that I have used since I was 19, it was more like a hobby. I was not interested in makeup so I could't cover up, had to look for something that really made a difference.
I loved the smell and the luxury that came with those creams and serums but now I understand that Retin A and sunblock are the only two products that anyone would need when it comes to topical skin care routine and everything else depends on how well you take care of your skin internally .

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No