Baking Soda

Price: $

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

There are so many uses for baking soda but favourites are:

HAIR:
Fill a bottle of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda, wet hair, pour baking soda solution over hair and scalp, shampoo and condition as usual. It deep cleanses and conditions at the same time.

BLACKHEADS:
Use CURE Aqua Gel on cleansed skin, exfoliate with a Clarisonic and baking soda paste (baking soda mixed with water), followed by Aesop Primrose Cleansing Masque. Effectively removes the majority of blackheads and makes extraction a lot easier after. Might not be suitable for sensitive skins.

DENTAL HYGIENE:
Rinse and gargle with baking soda water, do your dental routine as usual. Takes away bad breath more effectively than without.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't use this for my skin but I use it for my teeth with activated charcoal and raw coconut oil and it makes my teeth feel so clean and white!! Would recommend!

I have sensitive and acne prone skin and this product made my skin worse. It also made my skin really dry and it was really irritating.

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

Used this as a clarifying wash along with a acidic rinse after. Made my hair really dry and ridiculously coarse even weeks after using it. I have also used this as a face mask which I won't ever do again as I felt burning on my face.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm reviewing this from a facial scrub perspective. It's a great exfoliator when mixed into a paste with water. Leaves skin baby soft afterward, though it takes a while to rinse the residue off properly FYI. My skin doesn't get irritated after use, though I usually tend break out into cystic acne a few days after. I'm not sure if that's because it's drawing out impurities or what. It's definitely worth giving a try due to price, but I wouldn't use it more than once a week.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

For as long as I remember I've had terrible skin troubles, got teased a lot as a kid when it was at its worst. My nickname was "pimple girl" and strangers came up to me and said my skin was so bad. I have tried:

-Accutane (twice), Skin became porcelain (perfect) for around 8 months, then back to acne again.

-Antibiotics: Only a temporary fix

-Microderms: $150, extremely expensive, left skin dry dry dry.

-Chemical peels: No effect, just drying, maybe skin looks radiant for a few days

-Urine: YES, i was that desperate..I put PEE on my face. No effect!

-Oils: I've tried organic olive oil, argan oil, etc...break out city!!!

-Facials by esthetician: I've spent around $100 a visit. skin looks nice for 3 days, after back to normal. I believe facials are ineffective.

-Skincare: Ole Henrickson, Shiseido, Eminence (people LOVE this but for me, it was the WORST!)

-Using acidic water to clean face: Face felt irritated

-Using plant (botanical) products: gave me acne, aloe vera on my face is a no no

-Aspirin mask, egg mask, honey mask: left skin irritated+dry

-Mineral makeup: No change

-Going without makeup: No change

Baking soda + exercise+ cutting out some foods (YES, food has a huge impact on your face, at least mine.) has solved all of my problems...After I incorporate them into my daily regime, I don't need super heavy makeup anymore. Thank you, I didnt know my acne cure was so cheap. My face feels So hydrated and so soft. For those people who say you should NEVER put alkaline products on your face, REMEMBER, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, you have to try. I wish you luck for your skin clearing journey.

I just use this as an exfoliator on my face. I have a lot of high end scrubs but I feel like this is about as good as it gets. I have pretty tough skin - so this might not work so well for the more baby skinned amongst us... but if you have skin like an elephant / me its really fantastic!

After reading all the great reviews on baking soda and using it as dry shampoo and even setting powder for the face, I had to try it as I spend $$$ on these items. I have to say using it as dry shampoo didn't work for me - my hair looked very dull and felt like "cardboard", I tried using less - which didn't absorb all the oil - and more - which really made my hair dull and very lifeless, it felt stiff like cardboard! In terms of body - can't say that I got a lot of body when using it, so I'll go back to my super expense dry shampoo from Bamboo (nice scent and my hair still looks soft and not dull).

When I used it as a face powder/setting powder it made my face burn for some reason, I have very sensitive acne-prone skin and I'm not sure if my face just reacted to it, I also saw more breakouts appear after I had used it for a couple of days so I immediately stopped using it and my skin normalized again.

Since I spent so much $ on dry shampoo and face/setting powder I wish it would have worked for me, but unfortunately I had to go back to the $$$ items which I know work and didn't give me any headaches.

I use this mixed with my usual toothpaste whenever I am due a visit to the dentist. She actually commented on how 'naturally' white my teeth were looking (British dentist/British teeth so not the perfect, glow-white variety!) so I was quite pleased. I use it morning, noon and night for three days leading up to a visit and two days a week all other times. I worry a little about it being a little too abrasive but mixing it with toothpaste really seems to help. The only time I've used it on my hair though has been to 'open' the cuticle so that I could fade the dye from my over-dyed hair ends and it needed lot of TLC afterwards, so it's not something I'd wash my hair with (Reetha/Aritha is gentler and effective if you're considering no 'poo-ing).

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have oily acne prone skin. I mix baking soda with my Elizabeth Grant cleanser to make a paste and use it as an exfoliator every morning and evening on my face neck and chest. I've been doing this for three weeks. My face is clearer, brighter, smoother, more refined, less oily, sun damage is a less deep, feels firmer. It's like a mini-dermabrasion. I used to use Proactive cleanser so now I can save on $$$!
Morning routine: Paste, (no toner), Cellex-C High Potency serum, Elizabeth Grant Supreme Revitalizing Day & Eye serums with Gold, EG Supreme Day & Eye Creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream, La Roche-Posay Anthelios Sun Screen SPF 50
Night routine: Paste, EG Supreme toner, EG Supreme Renewal Night Serum with Gold, EG Supreme Night & Eye creams, EG Anti-Sag Neck Cream

Popular Other Products