September 20, 2014 | 1890 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Define-A-Brow

rated 3 of 5 on 9/6/2014 1:40:00 PM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is not bad for a drugstore brow pencil. My brows are on the sparse side toward the center of my face, but fade to non-existent toward the outer ends, probably thanks to over-enthusiastic tweezing in my teens, and pretty oily skin. I favor a fuller, natural looking brow and like the definition and versatility of a pencil. Most pencils are either too waxy (unnatural looking and melts right off my face) or too firm to get any pigment on my skin. This falls somewhere in the middle on a good day, and the color is spot-on (Dark Blonde is a coolish taupe that looks very natural with my asian coloring) which is why I've been using it for the past five+ years or so after my chanel pencil was discontinued in the US.

BUT --
1. It's not consistently good. All products are to some extent dependent on temperature, humidity, storage, what you put on your skin beforehand, etc. However, this seems a little too susceptible to external factors, and I can't seem to get a handle on what the ideal conditions would be. On a good day, I get a natural look that isn't too harsh; the pencil is soft enough to trace out a pale arch and hard enough to define with short, individual-hair strokes. Other days, it leaves me looking like groucho marx or the mona lisa. Not a happy start to the day.

2. Like many other reviewers, I've recently (in the past couple of years) noticed some major quality control issues with this product. I stock up on these when they're on sale (bc they're often sold out in my color), and sometimes I'll come across one that breaks way too easily or has too much of some ingredient that throws off the texture/performance. One was utterly unusable, crumbling at the lightest touch.

I'm still using it (keep your receipts) for lack of something better, but I'm definitely on the hunt.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2014 4:05:00 AM More reviews by reaganyouthh

this pencil would have been pretty good if a. the tip didn't break CONSTANTLY and b. it lasted me more than 4 days. there just isn't a lot of product inside, and i feel like it's exacerbated by the constant breakage.

packaging sucks, you're always either twisting up too much or too little to work with and it's hard to dispense. only good points are the fine tip and comb.

it did its job well, and the color looked natural, but not worth the hassle. my search for a hg brow product continues.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/11/2014 6:39:00 AM More reviews by livesimply

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not sure why this got such rave reviews by so many, but I am very unhappy with this product. The twist-on pencil does not glide on smoothly and breaks very easily. I am used to twist-up pencils so knew to only wind up a small amount. But it hardly produced any color on my brows. Then I tested it on my hand and the same thing--barely any color was deposited on my hand. For a pencil that is sharpened, try Vincent Longo Eyebrow Micro Pencil--it produces very fine but noticeable color on my brows, is waterproof (for swimming) and lasts forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this in Dark Blonde because the Anastasia runs out fast. So I thought let me try this and I have been using it all the time! For me I have light ash blonde hair with dirty blonde eyebrows with some light blonde and this evens them out and makes them look so polished! I use a little brow gel to hold and they look so good and no transfer at all. It lasts till I remove it which is excellent. The colour dark blonde has no red and that is a must for me. Mine is very firm but the formula is softening. I barely raise the tip and it applies great and will last me a hella lot longer than others I own.

The comb is a little different but it does brush the formula through and it looks so natural. The pen is neon green I mean sure nicer packaging but I really don't mind because the quality is there. This goes on so easy and where I need to fill in the ends of my eyebrows because the hair is super blonde, this looks like my brows, not like I coloured them on. So, to me this is what makes it a great product and there's a good amount of shades to suit most people. I use this all the time and luv it. I would repurchase without a doubt I can see why so many like this! Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by 5shannon5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for a couple of weeks now, it is fab. You do have to use it very light handed because the tip will break off if you are pressing to hard but other than that I have no complaints. It has stood up fine in the Texas heat and stays put quite nicely all day. I think it has the perfect combination of wax and color. Love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by fierymermaid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Hnnnnggggg!!! This is amazing. Quit screwing around with other eyebrow pencils, cause they all suck compared to this one.

I have red hair (naturally auburn) but my eyebrows are weird and are naturally almost black. Isn't genetics fun and weird? I want a brow pencil to not just define, but also to help make my brows somewhat match the hair on my head, and I want it to be SHARP. Wooden brow pencils are bogus, cause they only stay sharp long enough to make like, one tiny line. I have encountered tons of crap on this quest. Auburn brow pencils are almost non-existent. In fact, the only brand I could find for a while that made one was Anastasia. It was a $28 wooden friggin' pencil, so I lost a ton of product just sharpening it and it never stayed sharp. Oh, and it was a tad too light. Next, I found NYX. They make an auburn. It's really the wrong name for it, though, as it's better suited to match was light red hair. It was mechanical, but had a weird shape.

I found this wee Maybelline brow pencil one day. Two shades were said to work with auburn...one medium-light and one medium. I had doubts, but it was cheap. WELL! My doubts were blown away by the great colour--just auburn enough to make my eyebrows actually match my hair! but dark enough to where it didn't look like I was trying to change the colour of my brows. This Maybelline pencil also has a heck of a point on it. It's always sharp and ready to go. I like the extend my brows out a bit, and it's a breeze to make a clean line with this tiny-tipped brow pencil.

The comb on the end is handy, as I don't have to reach for a separate comb. I'm taking a star off for packaging, though, due to how difficult it is to twist this to make more product rise. Why is it so hard to twist something with such a tiny diameter?! Be ready to She-Hulk this thing. Also, it doesn't have as much product as I think it should have. The outer appearance fibs about how much pencil is actually inside. I don't like lies! I can forgive it, though, since this brow pencil is so awesome.

So! If you're tired of crappy wooden brow pencils that have poor colour selections, try this!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2014 1:39:00 AM More reviews by katherinegclark

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this brow pencil is very good for drawing on small hairs and making your brows look good but not fake for those doing intense brows this isnt good for you cause it might take too much effort the pencil isnt creamy but its not hard to get color i just wish there was a spoolee instead of this weird comb

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by xojlg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my HG brow product. I use the dark brown shade and it's the perfect color for my dark brown/black hair. It even worked well when I had blonde hair as well. I find it lasts all day long and gives the perfect amount of color and definition to my brows. I literally can't leave the house without using this on them. Love it, definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by theopenwindowmaniac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I've always been apprehensive about doing my brows, as I have medium/dark brown hair naturally (level 5A), but I bleach to a pretty light cool blonde (level 9N-9A). So of course my brows are quite dark compared to my blonde hair. I consider my brows to be my best feature, so I've started filling them in and defining the arches. I heard about this brow pencil from makeupalley, of course, and I went to CVS and picked it up in dark blonde. My brows are closer to a light-medium brown, but I didn't want something too dark. The dark blonde shade is perfect. It adds just enough definition without looking obvious. All my blonde girls with dark brows need this pencil in dark blonde. This is not a traditional wooden pencil that needs sharpening, but a twist-up self sharpening pencil. The texture of the product is harder than I thought it would be, but it still applies easily enough. It really isn't bad, I just wish it was softer and more blendable. I did take off one lippie because of the texture and because I wish there was a spoolie at the end instead of a comb. But if you're a brow newbie like myself, this is probably the best brow pencil to start with.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by lk1119

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail eyebrow pencil. I've been through many eyebrow products, however this is the one that gives me the best result thus far without breaking the bank. I'm currently on my 3rd or 4th one as of now. I use this color in medium brown. I like that it's a retractable pencil. It comes with a little comb at the end, which I never use. If you apply too much pressure it can tend to break, so be careful with that. It's very easy to use and I realize it gives me the best result with less time to apply it. Although, I love this product and the appearance it gives me. It seems like there's not that much product in it because I will find myself have to buy a new one frequently. However, I do use this daily which may be the reason.