August 23, 2014 | 1882 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by itsglamourose

I stopped using an eyeshadow primer after I got this one! I put this all over my lid before putting any eyeshadow, its great with any type of eyeshadow, cream, pigments or powders. It really makes the eyeshadow last longer and more vibrant! I got mine during the warehouse sale so I only paid $12 for a bottle which will definitely last for a very long time! This is so colose to my skintone that it really works perfectly as a primer!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 2:25:00 PM More reviews by hellerenee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm so glad I finally decided to buy this. Let me tell you.
This stuff is magic as an eyeshadow base. It made my eyeshadow last throughout the entire day, and I was sweating and it was really hot throughout the entire day. The only part of my makeup that didn't budge was my eyeshadow.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2014 10:13:00 AM More reviews by monvai

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This must be used with a primer. It will not last without a primer for more than 4 hours. Having said that, I really like this to even out any discolouration and for a nice cut crease look. Painterly is too pinky and soft ochre is just nice for my skin tone. You can also modify the use by only applying it between your crease and brow bone (for crease colours to show) and use a heavy colour on the lid itself. For this purpose, Soft Ochre is perfect. I cant imagine me finishing this quickly though (likely to take years)- should have bought samples so it wont dry out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:45:00 AM More reviews by fairynah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love, love this soo much!! It makes your eyeshadow more vibrancy, its easy to blend out and it doesn't crease even if i was sweating in this hot and humid weather.. It maybe slightly pricey $36 if I'm not wrong but it can definitely last for quite a while.. Overall I'm satisfied ! 😚

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by myan21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this base. I really like how this lightly neutralizes the discolouration on my eyelid and how it make any low quality eyeshadow stand out. I find that if you use too much of this base it looks cakey and creases. If used sparely I find that my eyeshadow stays waterproof and smudge proof on my watery monolids. Would repurchases again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by albs

I bought this to use as a primer, because like a dummy I thought I'd "try something new", and have since purchased three primers that don't really work very well for me after finishing up my NARS eye primer. It doesn't work for me on its own, I get creasing and fading after several hours. I find the texture rather dry and somewhat difficult to blend on the eye. For a while when I would apply it it looked incredibly dry, yellow, cakey, and just really unappealing. I have found a way for it to work for me however, and have been wearing it this way almost daily under my eyeshadow. I apply my eye primer (TheBalm Put A Lid On It) which it quite a thin, almost silicone-y eye primer, let it set for about 30 seconds or so, apply a small amount of Soft Ochre and blend it gently (but well!), let it dry down and then apply my eyeshadow. This prolongs the wear of my eyeshadow considerably as compared to my primer alone. I'm not sure that I would repurchase it because it doesn't make sense to buy two eye primers when you can get away with one that really works, but if you have this and a primer that isn't doing what you need it to do, try them together.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by Gretalin

I like this paint pot but I'm not that crazy about it. For me, it is a good eyeshadow base and that's it. On the bright side, it evens out the skin tone, gives a nice and clean base for eyeshadows to pop. It does not prevent the oil from my eyelid what so ever. If I don't use a primer underneath, my eyeshadow will still creases on me. If I'm gonna wear it, I'll always pair it with my UDPP. Overall, it's a good product, but I don't think it is a "must have" for me.

For more in-depth review, please go to my blog http://gretalinbeauty.com/2014/03/30/all-the-mac-paint-pot-i-have-reviewswatches/

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by kamiller1972

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my go to shadow primer. The price point is just right considering how much you get and how very little you need to use-beats the heck out of Urban Decays price point and how much you get...though I love that eye primer too. But if I had to choose between the two...it would be MAC all the way!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Cammmi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm on second pot. I think the Pro longwear is a new formula because it has longer lasting than the original paint pot. Which makes this an even better base.
I reach for this paint pot almost everyday. It is so easy! You can just line with a dark shadow or directly a medium shadow in the crease. You don't have to build a neutral pale canvas after putting eye primer. A staple for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by bobloblaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For reference: My skin tone is NC37-40. I have dark hair and dark eyes. In the winter my skin is combo/dry, which is a combination of prescription acne medication and the cold weather, whereas my skin is very oily in the summer.

I just don't get the hype for this product. To my knowledge, it's marketed as a eyeshadow base to make your eyeshadow go on more vibrant while also smoothing out any discoloration you might have on your lids.

MAC doesn't claim that it will prevent your eyeshadow from creasing so I won't knock points for that since oily lids are better off going with a traditional primer a la NARS Smudgeproof Base or Urban Decay Primer Potion. Even when I used this, I layered a primer underneath since I knew this would not cut it for my oily lids.

Where I did knock off a lot of points was on the "vibrancy" part. I find the complete opposite is true. When I first swatched Soft Ochre on my hand I was a little worried that it would be way too white on my skin tone. However, skin twins have raved and rec'd it everywhere so I figured that once I blend it out on my eyes it would be fine. I was wrong. No matter how hard I blend it or how little I've used, it always looks like I've put on a white base. To add insult to injury, when I put eyeshadow on it, all of my shadows take on a muted, gray tinge to them, particularly my usually very warm brown shades. Suddenly they look like brown-grays. Gray-tinged shades make me look very sallow and ill so needless to say, it makes my eyes look terrible.

To be fair, I don't have very much discoloration on my eyelids at all. In fact they are the one area of my face that is rather flawless in contrast to the rest of my skin which has quite a bit of acne hyperpigmentation. So perhaps Soft Ochre does too much eyelid color correction? I'm not sure but I ended up trashing it because it never made my shadows appear true to life. I think for fairer skinned people this might be a major win but for anyone in the tan range, unless you have serious discoloration, it is a miss.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No