April 17, 2014 | 1870 users online

Conditioner - Nioxin - Scalp Therapy

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by keiki300

I bought this for my boyfriend's long hair since he started some hair loss. I bought system 2, and it appears that it worked. But I don't think it is this shampoo per say, but that he was using conditioners with lots of silicone ( labelled as dimethicone) before which blocked the hair follicle and eventually caused the hair to fall out. Pantene conditioners have the most silicone to my opinion. These Nioxin products are missing the silicone which is great but you can get silicone free shampoos cheaper like L'oreal's Everpure line which are sulfate and silicone free and naturally derived. BTW I hate and mean hate the mint in Nioxin products which is considered a skin irritant as well as a stimulant. But stimulating what??? This line is way too expensive for what it is, period.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/31/2013 3:46:00 PM More reviews by eqyyn

I was first introduce to nioxin system 5 by the saloon tt i visited. Was advised to use it for 6mths bt after 2 weeks using it my hair loss increase tremendously.. i cant go on using it anymore as im afraid ill be bald by the end of 6 mth. Its def nt working well with me.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2013 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Suzannebow

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using the nioxin system 4 for 3 months now on the advise of my hairdresser to try and thicken up my very fine hair and reduce shedding which makes my hair look even thinner. I am not convinced that this has made any difference, in fact my hair shedding has increased so much I'm thinking of stopping using it! My hairdresser advised using it for at least 6 months to see a difference but I'm actually scared I'll have no hair left by then!! Am going to stop using in for a few weeks to see if hair shedding slows down. Disappointed after reading so many good reviews, but I suppose it doesn't work for everyone.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by sasshay

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just don't understand the number of good reviews here. After developing a full-blown allergy to Nioxin, I tried washing it off with my regular shampoo. In the process, the water ran over my face and body and I could feel my lips puffing out again, skin getting itchy and the start of a throbbing headache. Worse, some ran into my eye and it absolutely stung like mad and turned red for the entire duration of the day. The allergens in this are DEADLY. I can't imagine the havoc it caused on my system, let alone my scalp, and I don't even dare pass this on to anyone, even though I bought a full-sized salon bottle. Who are all these good reviews written by? They just seem highly suspect given how terrible this product is. Go google 'Nioxin and allergy' and you'll see what I mean.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by rainingice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used the conditioner a couple times now, and I can't say if it's reducing my hair thinning just yet, but there are a couple "side-effects" that are making me quite happy with it currently.

First off, it smells great. I absolutely adore the smell of mint, so having my hair smell like it is amazing. It keeps me awake and feeling fresh! The mint also makes my scalp feel nice and tingly when I'm applying it, which also feels really nice.

Second and the greatest effect so far is oil control. With other conditioners I've used in the past, even and especially salon brands, I absolutely cannot apply it to my scalp. I wash my hair every other day (otherwise I shed like a cat and I also don't have enough time to wash it everyday) and if I apply any other conditioner to my scalp, by day two, my hair is greasy, stringy, and very unpleasant overall. With this, even applying and working it into my scalp, I stopped seeing that even after only two uses. Love it!

I'll update with more later on when I use it more.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by SharonT14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I finished the entire starter set and handfuls of hair fall out in the shower. My hair used to be so thick and heavy I would get a headache if I put it up in a pony tail, ever since using this I find myself putting my hair up in all kinds of buns and its so much lighter. The thickness of my ponytail is literally half what it used to be.

I've changed nothing except for this shampoo. I cannot believe my thick long hair is gone. This stuff is not good for everyone, it has very harsh detergents. I used it based on a bloggers recommendation. I didn't have thin hair to begin with so I guess I just didn't need it.

What a disaster I wish someone had warned me :( back to el cheapo shampoo and let my hair grow back hopefully.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by BeautBetty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

this is recommended to chemo patients as their hair starts to grow back after treatment to strenthen the hair follicles

Con: minty smell
Pros: It works

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 5:34:00 PM More reviews by colleenme

Does it work? Yes.
Is it spendy? Absolutely.
Is the quart thing the best value? Probably.
But this is the thing. its winter. I am bored of it! I have used it exclusively for 6 months and I am bored. The mint scent is invigorating, but as my husband says, "What IS that smell?" Its strong, no doubt. I would offer the shampoo is pretty basic, and the shampoo claims to remove the hormonal 'attack' on thinning hair. I think a clarifying shampoo would do the same, but I prefer creamier consistencies, due to color treating my medium length hair. The Scalp Therapy Conditioner however, is worth every cent. I use a dollop every inch of the scalp and absolutely no build up, but increased volume. I use other salon brand conditioners on my ends, but the Scalp Therapy tingles with menthol/mint, helps me reduce or cease my shedding and controls any kind of itching as a bonus. Love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by OpusArmstrong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Does it work? Yes. Where can you buy it? I buy mine at Amazon.com but I've heard Wal-Mart has it as well.

I worked in a salon and I was thinning. I thought "No way can a shampoo regrow my hair." I was thinning so much during beauty school that it became embarrassing. If I hadn't had free license to try anything in the salon I worked, I probably would have never shelled out the cash for Nioxin System 3. But after 6 weeks, I noticed some fullness and baby hairs. After 3 months, it was a considerable difference. It has been about 3 years and I will always use Nioxin.

Pros: It does work (on me at least), the scalp therapy (conditioner) is pretty good stuff and I need a good conditioner, I can part my hair anyway I choose now and I no longer even need volumizing products.

Cons: I can never stop using it. Ever. It does not smell of Candy like other products I envy or admire. It is kind of expensive but my goodness it is worth it.

Now my Mother and Brother-in-law have been using Nioxin and I hear good things from them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by kateST

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought the three step system (shampoo, conditioner, scalp treatement)

my hair is very long and platinum blonde. It's weak because of bleaching, and falls out and breaks off. Also, the very top layer of my hair is only 5 inches long because it got burnt off with a too-hot curling iron. the ends were just terrible, I tried many conditioners/creams/oils to tame them.
This stuff really gave my hair a nice, smooth texture. the conditioner felt like an emollient when I put it on. It was very light. After rinsing it off my hair was over 50% less tangeled, and the burnt off ends finally looked better and blended in. I leave my hair to dry naturally, and it dried a lot faster than ever before. My hair was light and felt a lot healthier. The scent smelled and felt very refreshing.
I can see how others may get irritated with this stuff, as the mint gave me a strong cooling sensation on my scalp, and my scalp is very used to being abused with bleach.

I really love the results, I can see and feel a dramatic difference.
Definately worth a try. I got my 3 step system in the small size at Marshall's for $10, look for it there.