January 31, 2015 | 1966 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2015 8:23:00 PM More reviews by karadownthehill

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been taking 5,000 mcg biotin for a little under a month now as I've been trying to grow my hair to mid back length for a while now, and for the longest time my hair has been at armpit length.I started taking this vitamin in hopes of fast-growing hair. I take one pill in the morning before breakfast. I must say that since I've started taking it, my hair has gotten a lot thicker than it normally is! My hair actually feels a lot heavier on my head now. I noticed that I already have a small halo of baby hairs coming out of my parting since I've started taking it! I think my hair has already grown about 3/4 of an inch since I started taking it about 20 days ago, my hair normally grows about half an inch per month.

I tried using this once when I was 13-14 and it gave me acne, but now that I'm 18 and I'm trying it, I haven't noticed any problems yet. That is something to look out for though if you are acne prone. Also it makes all the hair on your body grow faster, I have to shave more often since I have started using it. The plus side is I don't get ingrown hairs as easily! Also my eyelashes have grown in and they look great! They used to look so sparse.

My nails used to constantly break and would never get long! Recently they've been getting so strong and are finally growing out!

I'll update in about a month or so and tell you guys how things progress! So far I'm very happy, my hair has always had issues growing out for some reason and this may finally give me the long hair I've always wanted! I'm crossing my fingers here!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2015 8:19:00 PM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not sure if it works.. my hair grows pretty fast and i lose a reasonable amount in the shower which i attribute to hair shedding. Not sure if it was the biotin that did it, but i dont see a reason to stop taking it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2015 6:45:00 PM More reviews by cbaker6653

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I took biotin for 2 months. I would take one 1000mcg tablet 3x per day (one with each meal). I have adult hormonal acne, and biotin did not affect my skin. I didn't notice any immediate results, so I stopped taking it. About 2 1/2 - 3 months later, I noticed my fingernails were growing longer and thicker. I used to have thin nails that split/cracked easily. Now they are beautiful. I will definitely start taking the biotin again because it helps my fingernails A LOT!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2014 10:05:00 PM More reviews by kiki56

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used several brands, thinking maybe the brand wasn't that great. I was wrong. Biotin and me just don't mix well.

First, I experienced triple the breakouts. I already have acne prone skin so you can imagine having that tripled. HORRIBLE! I decided to wait thinking it'll get better. I read online that you're supposed to drink a ton of water to not break out. I drank a ton of water, but was still breaking out. After a month or two, my breakouts were not as bad but still. As someone who already had acne, having more acne (even if its just a few) is a huge deal to me.

To make things worse, my hair, nails, and skin, did not improve. Everything was pretty much the exact same.

I'd say try it, it may work for you!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

I am currently taking Biotin both in a Hair/Nail gummy vitamin and in a Women's Multi-vitamin gummy. So I guess you could say I am getting a double-dose. I am also currently taking Ovega (vegetarian Omega supplement), a vegetarian gentle Iron supplement, Reserveage collagen, and flax capsules. This is all to help my poor hair that was dramatically damaged by a salon owner back in April. I think my vitamin regime is helping, but obviously I can't say WHICH part of it is helping. I can say, I am extremely acne prone and have been for over 20 years, and the biotin in these gummy vitamins is NOT breaking me out. My hair is definitely in better condition, but it has taken a long while. It is longer, thicker, sheds slightly less, and overall looks healthier and less frizzy/ damaged. I also drink a ton of water plus protein shakes twice a day. I've also almost completely eliminated heat styling, spend a fortune on different shampoos and conditioners, and wash my hair only every other day. I'm doing everything I can to nurse my hair back to health, but in the end, I think TIME is what is going to heal it most. I plan to continue taking my biotin and other supplements, because I certainly don't think they are hurting anything, but in the end, I think it's just time that will improve my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by 1981maja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been taking biotin for two months now (1.000 mcg capsules by solgar). First I started with one capsule a day (i was afraid of acne breakouts) and after three weeks with no ugly sideffects I doubled the dose. I can see big difference in my hair structure. it used to be extremly thin and now it is basically doubled in volume. It also grows fasetr than usual, but my main goal was the volume, not the length so i don't pay much attention to it :)
Everybody notices how my hair is shiny and looking very healthy. I will definitely continue to use the capsules, and i will boost my dosage to 3.000 mcg a day.
I believe your drastic breakouts occure because you take too high doses and basically shock your skin. Start slowly and work your way up to the satisfactory dose.
You still get your results with lower dosages, it just takes a bit more time (but worth it, since your skin does not go zombie style).

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by ZannyGirl15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

No change in my hair.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by twiggyelf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Biotin gave me the breakout from hell, and no change with my hair. Use with caution.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/8/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by krysownzu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use the 10,000mcg Biotin capsules, and I do see a difference in my hair, eyelashes, and eyebrows. I'm prone to breakouts, with combination skin, and have had no breakouts since starting this vitamin.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by KristyF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My poor face! My hair is thin and lifeless so I tried biotin with disastrous results. I broke out immediately and the acne just kept getting worse. Not a good look for my 33 yr old skin.. People were asking me if I was a teen. It was that bad! It did help my hair but at what cost ? So my face looks awful and I have good hair? No thanks!! My face is still recovering from the acne marks.. I will never again use biotin.