Biotin (All brands)

3.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Biotin has definitely helped my hair to grow faster, and possibly thicker, though probably not softer or shinier. When I was getting my brown hair bleached regularly, the root regrowth was super crazy, way beyond any normal rate. I've been taking it for about a year now, and it definitely works, but you have to be careful and patient with it. It can cause breakouts and takes a while to work, but it's worth it if you stick with it.

I started at 1000mcg, the lowest possible dose, and started taking both a daily zinc and vitamin b complex supplement (I later increased the dosage for both, but I can't tell of any results yet), a silica supplement, and started drinking a bottle of water a day. If I had any breakouts it was no more noticeable than usual (my acne seems to be mostly hormonal, if that helps). When I ran out, I upped the dose to 3000mcg, then 5000mcg and 10,000mcg, all whilst keeping relatively clear skin (I've since found a cleansing routine that works for me).

I'm currently on a dose of 12,000mcg, but I'll be going back to the 10,000mcg once that's done as I think that gave me the best results. I don't know what would happen if I went up to 20,000mcg.

Don't start with a high dose, and don't give up after two weeks; it took about three months for me to see real results, but my hair is now far better than it was before.

Hi Ladies!

I've been using biotin for just over month now, so I feel like it's a fair time to write a review.

*This may be long - I have some venting to do. ;)

I started taking biotin due to weak, shedding hair, as I read from many sources online (including MA) that this is supposed to work wonders on the hair.

A little background. I am American, with fair skin, light eyes, & fine, medium blonde hair.
I've been living in Asian countries for the past 4 years, Thailand, Singapore & now Hong Kong. Firstly, let me tell you this, if you have a hairdresser that takes care of you and gives you what exactly what you want.. Give her/him a big kiss the next time you go to get your locks pampered. Asian hairdressers, although they can be amazing with their own hair type, seldom know how to work with Caucasian hair. I go in for partial highlights every 6 months, and some how they always find a way to either burn my hair or cut it into some weird Korean style that I end up hating. Of course, there are western hairstylist, but they end up costing me a small fortune and I could never quite justify paying 800 US dollars just for a few highlights and a cut.

After my work in Singapore, I decided to travel in India for a few months. In that time, I was washing my hair every few days. No hair dryer, curling iron, flat iron or styling products. The overall health of my hair improved dramatically, although the bottom half was still quite weak from all the over-processing.

After India, I moved to Hong Kong and I had massive grow-out. I didn't trust anyone to work with my blonde hair, and damage it further. So, I decided to be bold and go "Emma Stone Red", I though it would give my hair a nice break from bleach. WRONG! I ended up at a salon where 4 hairstylist worked on 10 people's hair simultaneously. :( Sigh.... My hair was a dark, auburn red on top, and dirty dishwater brown on the bottom (the over-processed part).
as a couple weeks have gone by, the color has faded quite a bit, and it's all an even color now... ALL dirty dishwater brown. I was shedding like crazy when showering, brushing or even just running my fingers through.. I don't know how I still have hair on my head.

So, once again, I decided not to stress my hair and just leave it as is for awhile, until I can go to a proper salon and have it fixed. I am staying away from heating tools, and just let it air dry. -I've stocked up on headbands & scarves. :)

Alright to the biotin. I take one 5,000 mcg tablet every morning with my breakfast and drink a liter of water within the first hour of swallowing the pill.

The first week, I noticed my nails were significantly stronger.

I started pooping like 4 times day.

I've lost a few pounds.. Won't complain about that.

From the first week until now, I am thirsty all the time. Like, thirsty thirsty. I drink about a gallon and a half a water a day, which is good, considering you need to stay hydrated and drink plenty if water while taking biotin.

My energy is much higher, although that may be contributed to a couple of other life-style changes, so it's hard to say if biotin is 100% responsible.

Fast forward to now, one month later

I started noticing a difference in my hair a couple days ago.. Not on my head. :)
I like to keep my vajay smooth and hair free. But, the other night, I noticed that I suddenly grew a 70s bush, almost overnight! HA! Also, my legs were more prickly than they've ever been! So, after a little hair-control and panic, I noticed my hair (on my head) was so much softer and shinier! I also see that there's a lot less hair in my hair brush and the bathtub!
YAY! I love when I start seeing the results I was hoping for! Again, I only started noticing results in regards to my hair a couple days ago, so I'll write an updated review in a month or two.

My skin did get a couple breakouts, nothing I can't get under control. Plus, usually when you add something new to the chemistry of your body, you can react. I am going to wait it out and let my body adjust, no biggie. I see a lot of people on here are saying they are giving up because a sudden breakout of acne. That's bananas! Be patient, be a trooper, wait it out! Give yourself a 3 month time-frame, then decide if you want to proceed with these supplements. in most cases your body WILL adjust and your skin will not only clear up, but improve in texture and tone!

I'm still pooping a lot.

My energy level is still through the roof, which I like, gives me more motivation to get in the gym.

My appetite is non existent. I only know when I'm hungry when I start to get weak or mean (lol). Again, no complaints here, I've set up an eating schedule to make sure I'm keeping my body well-nourished.

In conjunction with the biotin, I also take Omega-3 and Silica. As well as juicing dark green veggies, carrots & oranges every day. Also, I now have much cleaner diet. There's a noticeable difference in my skin, and I'm sure it's doing positive things for my hair as well.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! Best of luck to you on your biotin journey!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

1/15/2016: My New Years resolution this year was to SLAY from head to toe. So I started with my hair. I have 3B/C type hair that recently has been looking a little thin and dull. It also hasn't grown much either. So of course, I discovered Biotin while searching for hair care help online. After doing more research and realizing that this was what I needed, I went out to my local health foods store and picked up a bottle of NOW Biotin 1000 mcg capsules for 8 bucks.

Now, I must be honest, I only purchased this last week. At first I was taking one pill a day (to start off slow) but on the 3rd day I noticed two pimples had popped up to say hello. So moving forward, I'll take 1 pill every other day for the first 2 weeks and then go up from there. I really want Biotin to work for me and I'm doing alI can to help it along, including drinking plenty of water and consuming the pill with a meal. I will update in 2 weeks!!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Backstory: a few months ago I trusted someone to take me from black hair to blonde. Stupid, I know. They ended up RUINING my hair by bleaching it 3 times in one day so I had to cut my long hair to my shoulders. I first started taking fish oil but wanted to switch to biotin since fish oil is large and tastes gross. I bought the nature’s valley 5000 mcg from Walmart because the 2500 mcg bottle said to take 2 daily so I figured I would just get the 5000 mcg and just take the 1 daily. I started beauty school in September, right around when I started taking the fish oil and started having massive breakouts. My teacher said it was from getting a lot of facials and chemicals in the air, but it was bad. I’ve never had painful acne and acne on my neck, it was embarrassing and killed my self-esteem. I was also taking one a day women’s gummy vitamins which had hair and nail support in them. I switched to the biotin approximately 2 months ago and take one daily with half of a hard women’s vitamin. I haven’t noticed any growth in my nails and have noticed some growth in my hair. Fast forward to now, I haven’t taken my biotin as regular for the past few days as I was busy and was also sick. On Saturday, my face completely dried up, no joke. All of the excess oil I’ve been experiencing has disappeared and a lot of the acne and redness I had has dried up and gone. No joke. I didn’t really notice it at first on Saturday because I was busy doing mine and other’s makeup for a wedding but I haven’t worn any makeup the past few days and haven’t really washed my face (bad I know) and I’ve noticed how much clearer and dried up it is (both the excess oil and the acne) I still have some but it is nowhere near what it used to be. I’m almost 100% positive this all was caused by the biotin and fish oil I was taking. I’ve read biotin can make you break out and to drink a ton of water and I already drink a ton of water as it is. I’m going to continue not taking it to see if the rest will disappear and update. My hair has always grown pretty fast so I think I’ll just let it just grow back in naturally without any aids. Not worth the risks.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wanted to grow out my hair so I decided to take biotin pills. I got the 5000mcg. I took it for about 2 months. Didn't really notice a change in my hair. Did notice my face breaking out and extreme weight loss. I looked up the side effects and what do you know!! Breakouts and weightloss. I am so upset I didn't review this before I started taking it. It's been a week since I stopped taking the pills. My face hasn't cleared up yet and it Sucks I have to gain weight to get my body to how it was before. What a nightmare this has been. Beware.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I use Nature's Bounty 1000 mg (about 8$ at shoppers) and it's done wonders for my hair. Doc recommended it because after my pregnancy my hair was growing slowly and now it's growing at a normal rate and its super shiny and strong. I will keep taking biotin although I do suggest you consult a doctor before you start taking it just in case!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My experience with biotin was a little different from a lot of the reviews I read before trying so I wanted to share...
Started taking to try to improve my hair, which was looking thin, flat, and growing super slowly after pregnancy. I have taken it for 3 weeks and noticed no improvement in hair anywhere on my body, and have had a few small breakouts. What causes me to give biotin 4 lippies is it surprised me and healed a very old acne scar (from a rogue derm removing a blackhead). It looked like a very dark dent on my cheek and I had tried a million things to try to get rid of it and nothing helped much. After 4 days I noticed improvement, after 7 I had a small break out and suspended use. It has been 3 weeks since starting and my scar is essentially gone!

I was taking biotin (the cheapo one from wal mart) in conjunction with a daily dose of wheat grass, a tablespoon of gelatin, 2 barleans fish oil caps, and plenty of water. Additionally, I wash my face with plain hot water, use the DHC Olive Virgin oil if I need to remove makeup or have a super sweaty day, and moisturize with castor oil. The biotin was the only recent change prior to the scar lightening, but thought I would mention everything just in case there is some magical combo happening. Hope this helps someone!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I absolutely LOVE this product. I take Spring Valley 5000mcg twice a day! I I have been taking it for 2 or 3 months now and I am so happy with the results. I can notice a small amount of my hair growing and I can really feel a difference, it feels thicker and it feels like I have more hair on my head. I love it. My hair has always been insanely thin and dry and bad, buying expensive JOICO shampoos and other things like morrocan oil only made it soft. but not grow or become thicker. Coconut oil, im not sure that if it just works for some people but it doesnt work for me. I have left it in my hair over night only to wake up having it greasy and feel much drier then it was before. I have always had fast growing nails so this was never an issue, but they are now really strong and really long. The nails are just a bonus as my main reason for taking it is for my hair. I have had to wear extensions forever. I am hoping this will really make a difference for me and eventually i wont have to continue to wear them and wear my natural hair. I am going back to my natural color so then I can stop dying it for months at a time and itll grow. So far so good. Although one thing i did notice is when i first tried it I tried the gummy supplements by nature valley with the gels, and they made me break out like crazy! i havnt touched the package since, i noticed with when taking the straight supplements its been great, small acne but it went away after a week or two then i was fine. I love the price, the only thing that sucks is I have to travel to Maine to get it as we dont have such high dosages in Canada. I am tempted when I travel down south in march to purchase another brand to try but im nervous to experience some acne. But ill continue to take these babies until i run out and have to go back to the usa for more!!

I have seen quite a few negative reviews on biotin. I just want to say that you need to make sure you start out with a low dosage! Everyone is going to react differently to biotin so it is important to start at a low dosage to see how your body responds to the supplement. Also it is completely unnatural to take extremely high doses of biotin, your body doesn't need that much. That being said I take 2500mcg and have experienced zero side effects, just shinier and waiver hair. So if you are desperate for hair growth just start at a low dosage and see how you react to it, if your body can handle it then up the dosage! I hope this is helpful :)

I HATE biotin it ruined my hair, it is insanely thick now, i think it caused nearly every single dormant hair in my hair to start growing, which has completely screwed up the normal cycle of new hairs growing, i have so much hair growing that lots of the hair isn't even normal or like my hairs, which are thick and straight where as now i have millions of extremely thin curly hairs growing everywhere! when i pull them out they look like fluff. not even hair, fluff. no way to thin it since it's all new growth too. I think this product is unnatural and screws with the cycle of your hair. If you have thinning hair i suppose i would recommend it but i would do anything to have never taken biotin. it is the worst, i don't even look like myself anymore.

Popular Treatments