October 22, 2014 | 1064 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Advanced Hard as Nails Polish (Clear)

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by Bee82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've always used sally hansen nail products I've used this sally hansen hard as nails for years now it makes my nails harder and stronger it also makes my nails shiny I use it alone I haven't used it as a top or base coat yet but I will be trying it as I don't have any base coat nail products yet I use sally hansens insta dry top coat which is fast drying I love it I'm very happy with most of sally hansen's products and I will always buy this hard as nails for making my nails stronger and to use as a shiny clear coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 4:29:00 AM More reviews by TheModType

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this in the natural tint which provides your nails with a really beautiful healthy look. My nails are growing healthy and strong and I could not ask for anything more! I only use this on my bare nails- I have no experience in regards to how it performs as a base or top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2013 2:41:00 PM More reviews by NOLACreoleGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of my favorite top coats except....

Maybe it's just me and probably because I sleep on my hands (?) but I wear this as a top coat to my Nutra Nail Bullet-Proof polish and even though it'll seem dry before I fall asleep, I wake up with the sheet or pillow pattern on my nails :-(

Now, I am not taking off a lippy because clearly that's my fault lol. This polish does seem to help temporarily harden my nails and is a pretty good top coat (after 2 coats)

It does smooth my nails and helps with the appearance of ridges and lines. I can't give a review of this polish alone because I've never used it alone or not on top of the Nutra Nail. But along with that polish and as a top coat over other polish it seems to last a long time and I like it a lot.

I would recommend this product but make sure it's COMPLETELY dry before sleep lol

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I am writing a review about Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails with Nylon and Retinol. This is a clear base coat that comes in a sealed package and promises to fill ridges while strengthening your nails.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that when you take the bottle out of the package, its flat on the back and rounded in the front. It's deceiving in design, not that I'd complain about a few ounces of polish, but its still odd and deceiving.

The bottle tells you to shake it. Do NOT shake! You'll get all kinds of bubbles. Roll it in your palms kinda slowly via the black part of the bottle to mix it instead. The directions also instruct you to apply 2-3 coats, which makes me wonder why they were so chinsy with the back of the bottle. 3 coats seems like an awful lot of applications.

I found the polish itself to be very watery, drippy, and thin. I applied one layer as a base, then colored polish to my tips, and had to use two coats to top it all off so the directions were right about the number of applications necessary. When it drys, it seems to evaporate a little more. The more coats you add, the more you risk getting bubbles. The good thing is that it did seem to even out the ridges between my natural nails and the painted tips, but it did not smear my polish. Truth be told, my tips were still a little sticky when I applied the first top coat. I was impressed there.

As far as the quality of protection, no polish is going to add strength just like no hair product will repair your ends. These things are actually designed to protect and prevent. I just don't see where some super thin glue is going to protect or prevent any more than the next glue you put on.

I actually like this product and would buy it again if I found it on a 75% off sale, but that's because I like a good sale. Most of my polishes cost under $3. This product takes too many applications to give a result. My friends haven't the patience nor time to wait, so I wouldn't recommend this to friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Carrie212

Amazing as a base and topcoat, I have been using this since I was a wee girl first painting my nails. Takes a little while to set, but once it's on, you're good. Leaves my nails chip free for days.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 11:05:00 PM More reviews by goldandrubies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a perfect base coat for me. I just got my fake nails off, and this filled my ridges to make my nail polish go on smoothly. It was only 2 or 3 dollars. However, I like the Sally Hansen triple strong a little bit better for a base coat because it makes my nails super super strong. But, if I couldn't find triple strong or feel like paying extra for it, I would be the advanced hard as nails base coat. I haven't had anything fill the ridges this well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this nail polish. I don't ever wear colors on my nails but I prefer to always have a nice clear coat on them to keep them looking shiny and polished. This nail polish is perfect for that purpose. I apply two coats of this on my nails and it lasts anywhere from five days to a week depending on the type of activities I do. I wish that it lasted longer so I don't have to redo my nails each week but it's really not a big deal for me since I enjoy giving myself a manicure.

UPDATE: I found that this serves as a wonderful top coat over colored polishes. It adds a great amount of shine and seems to provide good protection to the color.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2011 8:52:00 PM More reviews by moonlessnight14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Very disappointed. As a base coat/top coat, this did nothing to make my polish last longer. In fact, my polish actually peeled off, like in one complete piece! This did not work at all!
I definitely prefer the Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear nail polish in Invisible.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2011 9:25:00 PM More reviews by diamond479

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Definitely does its job! This keeps my nails 'hard-as' for days! I use this as a base and top coat for my French manicures and it works perfectly. I do re-apply one coat every few days to keep my nails strong and shiny, but this is just my personal preference. Highly recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 11:25:00 PM More reviews by lemonpopper

I love this clear coat, it was only $2 CAD(Walmart) I was looking for a clear coat, and this one is just amazing. sooooo cheap, it dries quickly, and has a really nice shine and is hard, and lasts very long.