MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

This is a really nice eyeshadow shade, base and primer. How you choose to use this versatile product is up to you. Since its so pigmented it really helps to neutralize the color of your eyelids before applying your eyeshadow.

Its a bit pricey but you'll see a difference if you use this correctly.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm torn on whether or not I will repurchase this product - it's SO expensive for what it does! I recently bought this on a whim when I finally got to a Mac store. I had heard so much about it, and I have to say, I know why it has hype! It neutralizes eye discoloration and works amazingly as a primer. I love the packaging, it's coverage, and the way it applies and blends. However, I don't think it quite justifies the $22 price tag. I also use Wet n Wilds Brulee for the same purpose, and it does the exact same thing in powder form. So I probably won't repurchase this, though my pot will likely last me forever since a little product goes a long way. But this $22 pot is too steep compared to my 99 cent WnW Brulee. Sorry Mac, but your astronomical prices have outstepped your quality and uniqueness once again.

Being a beauty junkie with sensitive eyes, I have tried oodles of eye primers. This one is simply the best. It takes little to cover your eye area, you can use your finger or brush to apply it, it dries to a beautiful finish (neither too matte or dewy), most shadows just glide across it like butter and lay down beautifully. I usually get at least 9+ hours of good wear, with nothing migrating or creasing. Another plus is that the "Painterly" color covers the discoloration on my kids and I can just wear this if I want a beautiful natural look. I think the jar packaging allows for this to have it's beautiful texture, I always close tightly and store it flat upside down. Best of all, it does not react with my very sensitive, allergic eyes!

Love love love this product! This is one of my favorite MAC product of all time. It is one that I will buy over and over again. Although it's a little pricey just for a primer, it is totally worth the price. I think it's around $20 or maybe a little more, but, again, totally worth it. I have tried several eye primers from drug store brands to prestige brands and this is by far the best I have tried. I accidentally bought this several years ago, thinking it was something else and I just decided to keep it. I never really started using it until a year or two ago and it is absolutely one of the best products out there for eye primers. I was using Urban Decay's eye potion and this beats even that out, which is supposed to be the best of the best. I have a lot of veins on my eyelids that are so annoying to me when wearing eyeshadow. Paint pot in Painterly covers them up perfectly and also blends into my skin tone so well that you can't tell that I have eye primer on. It has a creamy formula but is not sticky at all and won't make your eyelid feel gross or heavy, which is what I noticed from a few other eye primers I have tried. It lasts all day, which is no lie. I am a surgeon, and although some surgeons don't care what their makeup looks like, I LOVE anything makeup and look for products that lasts throughout my work day and longer. Paint pot does that! It makes my eye shadow look super pigmented (even if it isn't) and keeps it on longer than any other eye primer. It is absolutely wonderful and an amazing product, definitely would recommend this for anyone! MAC has done a great job with this one!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

MAC paint pot in painterly is a solid crème base that mimics the color of skin tone. It's a dense formula. I like to apply this with my finger and pat it all over my lids and brow bone as an eye shadow base. I find my eye shadows (powder, pigment, and cream) don't crease when I use this as a base. I've tried almost every eye shadow primer on the market but nothing works as well as the paint pot or mac paint in untitled. I first tried the paint product in 2003 and then forgot about it. I couldn't find a good primer and my eye shadows were always creasing. I went back to the MAC paints and this paint pot and there is nothing better. When MAC does a product well, you can beat them. This is a holy grail product for me.

i use this practically on a daily basis, it's pretty great.

i heard good things about using paint pots as an eyeshadow base and even as a primer so i thought it was worth the investment (about $AUD35). overall, i'm pleased i got it and i'd repurchase (unless i found a less expensive dupe of similar quality).

i couldn't use this as a primer (it's a little thick for that) but this is a great shadow base, though i wouldn't apply it above your crease because it might make the skin look a lil wrinkly. it lasts all day, is super smooth and creamy, and it makes powdered eyeshadow look fab if you apply some over it.

application-wise, you could gently use your fingertip but i actually use a small concealer brush just so i can apply it really precisely. that's just me though!

i only have a couple of criticisms. firstly, as i'm quite fair-skinned (MAC N1), i kiiiind of wish the colour was a little cooler and lighter so it matched the skin around my eyes. if you're pale, you'll need to be careful with application because if you're lazy with it, your eyes look pretty splotchy; i usually apply a nude matte shadow over the top. secondly, oh my goodness spending $AUD35 on a small pot of eyeshadow base is a bit nuts, though it'll last you ages. if you're after a cheaper alternative, try maybelline's 24hr color tattoo shadows (they don't have any matte shades though).

in summary, this has become an essential to any neutral/natural eye looks i do, and i'm a bit in love, but try it and make sure it works for you first before you splash out on it!

pros:
- works great as a base
- super smooth and easy to apply
- lasts for ages and works well with powdered shadows
- a little bit goes a long way

cons:
- doesn't really match paler skin tones without a powder on top
- probably overpriced
- makes the skin above the lid crease look a bit crepey

I use this as a base for my eyeshadow and it does the job! I've used a couple of Mac paintpots in the past and this has the best consistency and texture so far! It's a great neutral colour that gives perfect coverage and glides onto the eyelid - a little goes a long way too! I've had it for nearly 2 years and it hasn't dried out in the slightest! I do think that they should change the packaging though as my past paintpots have dried out really bad!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have tried so many times to make this work underneath other eyeshadows. Everyone says it doesn't crease at all - I haven't had that experience at all. On me it creases within a couple hours. The color is fine, nothing special. It matches my skin tone but since it creases so much, there's really no point for me. I just put on a regular primer and then a normal skintone powder shadow. I'm disappointed because so many people love this product. For me it's pretty much a fail.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am reviewing mac painterly as an eye shadow base. I bought this a couple of weeks ago. It's ok but not great. By the end of the day I had some creasing although not as bad as if I didn't use anything at all so it is an improvement over using nothing. However I am also using the Maybelline 24 hour tattoo in barely branded as a base and find that product is far better. As a matter of fact it is outstanding. Zero creasing at the end of the day. I am returning painterly. It's far too expensive to be out performed by Maybelline.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Perhaps my favourite (so far) product from MAC. I have oily eyelids but with the paint pot the eyeshadow stays on for more than 12 hours, not needing any touch up.

I like this colour, it blends beautifully with my skin tone and evens the tone of my eyelids better than a concealer.

It's a little pricey but the pot has a lot of product, and a little goes a long way. I apply it with a brush so I don't have to put my finger in the pot. It goes on very nicely and I find that this way I don't need a lot of product.

The only downside is that if used alone, if I don't set it with an eyeshadow or a powder all over the lid, it tends to crease a little. If set, however, it doesn't go anywhere.

I would repurchase.