August 1, 2014 | 1939 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2014 9:04:00 AM More reviews by evarosie

At around 15.50 (about $26) MAC paint pots aren't a bargain buy, but the amount of time the they last, the durability and the quality make it worth it. I've used painterly everyday for about 4 months and have barely made an impact or dent in the pot. Painterly can be used as a base for other eye shadows, however I usually use it on its own as it keeps the eyelid matte all day and hides any discolouration. I find it's a good match for my skin tone, and it goes on smooth due to its creamy consistency. One bit of advice though, make sure you put the lid back on the pot as soon as you're finished using it as the product can dry up quite quickly!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Marissaxox

I really wanted to love this, and in some ways I do. Its the perfect skin coloured base for my skin and it holds eyeshadow beautifully. The packaging is very cute and honestly I think you get a lot of bang for your buck because a little goes a long way. However, the only thing that makes me not love this product entirely is it's staying power and oil control. I have oily lids (it's the bane of my existence) and it starts to smudge and crease and just get slick after about 4 hours. It's probably a wonderful product for those with dry and combination skin, but for me its just good.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by beedreaux

My absolute favorite thing in my makeup bag. It works as eye shadow primer and good base color. I have had my pot for about two years now and I still have plenty to use. It works with a variety of skin tones and complexions as well (I am a makeup artist and use this on many of my clients.). It makes all shadows look professional and come out as if air-brushed. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 12:17:00 PM More reviews by foxbaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't think I could go on without this product. There. I said it.

This shade perfectly matches my skin tone and helps to not only keep my eyeshadow colorful and in place, but it is also great for helping eyeliner (especially liquid) stay on all day without fading. It's great for hiding the little veins on the eyelid so that you look like a creepy perfect alien doll. SCORE!

It's $20 for a small pot, but I honestly think it's worth it. I use a really tiny amount and apply it with a finger and it covers everything and works like a dream.

I will def be buying this product again in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2014 8:20:00 AM More reviews by Caish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HD eyeshadow base slash primer slash nude colour. Literally could not do my eyeshadow without it. I have veins on my eyelids and this covers it. The colour matches my skin tone perfectly. It lasts long and it has never creased on me (I'm surprised to hear in other reviews that it creased on them). I use this as a base meaning that its the first thing i put on my eyelid, i dont use a primer underneath or anything. The texture is perfect and eyeshadow just glides on over the top like a dream. I use mac and recently lorac eyeshadow fyi. This product has taken my makeup to the next level!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by xojlg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is amazing. I was a bit skeptical at first but after hearing about it so much on youtube I just had to try it. In Canada it's pretty pricey (I think like $24 or so?) but so worth it. I've had mine for over a year and with daily use it's still going strong. It keeps all my shadows in place all day long with no creasing and no fading. I've even had a couple nights where I accidentally fell asleep with all my eye makeup on, and in the morning it still looked perfect. Can't say enough good things about it and it's definitely worth the money. I think this is something everyone needs if they're big on using eyeshadow!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2014 2:48:00 AM More reviews by billierosetyler

Background: I have only been using this product for about a month, but it has become one of my staples! I apply it with my index finger.

PROS:
* Makes an excellent eyeshadow base. Covers up darkness/veins on lids.

CONS:
* Expensive (AUD $35).
* It creases. However, I resolved this by applying primer first (Too Faced Shadow Insurance).

Tips: To prevent it from drying out while I am applying the product, I unscrew the lid of the pot, swipe some of the product on to my finger, and then place the pot face-down on the basin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 10:53:00 AM More reviews by lovelymallie

I have mixed feelings about this product, but for the most part I love it!
In the first place I bought it to wear on its own, just to "even out the eyelid" for an everyday natural look. Well, I can't do that. This thing creases like crazy!
However if I use it as a primer, with eyeshadow on top it stays in place and makes a great base for any eyeshadow. It is probably the best primer I have tried, at least on the same page as UD primer potion and the one from Too Faced.
Now the shade of this, I find a bit odd. At least on me. I'm a NC15-20, and this is quite pink. If probably should've gone with Soft Ochre instead.

- Nice eyeshadow primer, I will definitely buy again if I ever use it up. (comes in a big jar)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by sizza911

I love this as a base for any eyeshadow looks that are going to be brown/pink based. I am very fair skinned and as I get older, the skin on my eyelids is getting thinner and more blue veins and redness show through. This paint pot does a great job of covering my veins and giving me a smooth and evenly colored eyelid to put color over. It is a bit darker than my skin tone, so I only use this up to my crease and then use a lighter eyeshadow primer or NYX's white eyeshadow base under my browbone. In the past, I had the Stila Prime Pot to use. It is pretty identical but what makes my MAC better is that my Stila prime pot dried up and was worthless within 6 months and I had barely made a dent in it. I felt like I pretty much wasted $20 for it. My MAC Paint Pot has been in my drawer for a year and is only half used and still as soft and pliable as the day I bought it. Since my nails are long, I use a brush to apply this now to keep it from getting underneath them. I have just enough time to work this in place before it sets up and mattifies. It's always perfect by the time I'm ready to start applying my powder shadows over it. I recently bought one for my daughter to use too after I did her makeup for prom and she was thrilled with her look and how long it lasted. She has somewhat pigmented eyelids, despite being very fair skinned like me, and the Paint Pot lightened the skin on her lids and making a great base for her eyeshadows too. Painterly is a great pick for lighter skinned gals like me. Darker skinned gals or more olive toned ladies would probably like Soft Ochre better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am NC15 and this is good for days when I don't feel like wearing eyeshadow. Most of the time I use Painterly and then do my winged liner and mascara. It covers the little veins and any discoloration on my eye lids. If you use a thin layer, I can see where it might be good to prevent creasing. However if you use any more than that, it just might crease up on you. Might be better off using UDPP. I would not repurchase because concealer or UDPP would be better.