March 1, 2015 | 1737 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2015 5:33:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I've had too many encounters with it to specify but I have learned quite a bit through trial and error, emphasis on error. So to spare yourself I hope you read and learn!

THE PRODUCT:
Ranges in price from 9.99 to 15.99, your cheapest bet being Walmart or to catch it on sale at Walgreens. It comes in Regular and Extra Strength though I've gone balls to the wall, so to speak, every time and purchased the Extra Strength. You mix the fluids together enclosed in the box and it smells like death. Worse than hair dye. I can tolerate a lot but for those faint of heart, do it outside or prepare a fan/ open window. (EDIT: there may be other Color Oops products, these are just the 2 I've seen in store)

APPLICATION:
after mixed, you apply this super runny stinky product to dry hair and thoroughly saturate. For my shoulder length hair I buy TWO boxes because if applied uneven you have to go back to the store smelling rank plus its VERY drying to have to do twice. Now it says 20 min, I suggest staying near a mirror to watch it process. Whether I've attempted to remove level 1 Black hair dye to light brown/red/brown, Color Oops usually takes me to the same medium/light orangey color. the next part is KEY
YOU MUST shampoo like your life depends on it. No matter how tiresome or over it you become, just shampoo your heart out. I have done so until the water runs cold and guess what, the dark color COMES BACK.

***If you do not rinse this product out thoroughly, one or two things will happen: 1) the dye molecules will reoxidize (unsure if this is the proper terminology) or 2) when you go to redye, no matter the color, once your head is exposed to peroxide the color will darken significantly or again, reoxidize leftover molecules.***

I have spent and entire day Color Oopsing 3/4 times back to back to keep the dark color at bay (this was when I removed black dye). All I can do is stress the importance of shampooing/rinsing. The most recent time I used this product, I first showered with shampoo until the water ran cold (25 minutes or so) and then laid down in the tub, opened a book and left my head under the spout. The color did not redarken. Granted it was a dark red, infinitely easier to remove than black, but still.

To those who would like to use this product, consider spending an ample amount of time carefully using and rinsing this product. You can recolor afterwards, as I've also done, just be weary of picking a shade or 3 lighter than your desired level and also invest in some good conditioning products. I would even suggest strand testing and if you can, giving your hair a 24 hour break after color stripping to ensure the color won't reappear.

I also want to say that the first time I used this product was much easier than say, the 3rd or 4th time due to the overlap and buildup of dye. Therefore, I think if you made a novice mistake with fairly virginal hair, then this may work wonders for you without the hassle. But if you're like me and you frequently dye your hair, buy yourself some advil while youre at the store.
Also, it will not take you back to your natural color. I'm not sure if the box claims that, but chemicals alter your hair color, your hair's chemistry. Another misconception is that this is a safe alternative to bleach. While bleaching is basically like nuking one's hair, this product is very drying and also damaging. The lesser of two evils, maybe.

ALL IN ALL,
of course give this a shot if youre unsatisfied with a recent dye job, even older dye jobs, I'll venture to say as I've had success with that too. But again, take the allotted time to rinse hair and shampoo like a maniac. Otherwise you'll be near back where you started with double the damage.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2015 5:52:00 PM More reviews by shoooout

this is the second time i have used it and i have it on my head right now, SO, i cannot speak to its eficacy at the moment BUT i wanted to write a review because it does not smell NEARLY as bad as i remember it smelling when i used it in 2012...i don't know if they changed the formula, or if my nose has changed or what, but to me it has a distinct citrusy smell with much less of the sulfur than i remember. that is all. thank goodness!

fyi - i am using the extra strength one, the one with the curly haired girl on the box. maybe that's the difference?

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Zubzoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Before using Color Oops, I had bleached my hair to blonde, and soon after dyed it black. I used Color Oops with the hopes of removing the black to return to blonde but the most it did was lighten it slightly. At that point I immediately thought it was a waste of $20. So again, with the hopes of returning to blonde, I purchased bleach and followed my routine as usual. The results? Nothing. I'm assuming the chemicals of the Color Oops have prevented the bleach from its own chemical reaction. I now still have ugly slightly brown hair and $30 out of my pocket. I can't get my money back and apparently can't even fix my hair. Would not recommend this product. My hair is ruined, the money was not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by KimLisbon

I never ever ever write reviews unless I feel like i absolutely HAVE to tell the world about it and so here I am. Background: typical asian silky straight black hair. Been dying it probably at least once a year since i was 13. Im lucky though and my hair is straight and strong and shiny and grows super fast. I also never use heat or styling products and always air dry, never brush just go through it with a wide toothed comb or my fingers. I normally buy two boxes of whatever drugstore hair dye, one in a burgundy and one in a brown and mix them and put the whole thing in my hair. about 90% of the time it doesn't do much but recently i had a nice thing going on with some natural dark brown (not on purpose just cause i'm shitty with dying my own hair) mixed in with a bunch of light/dark browns and red/burgundies with the ends of my hair being the lightest (almost orange-blond in some places) it all looked very nice and not overdone but my roots were growing out pretty long and i have no patience for the ombre thing so i decided to dye it.

i had noticed that garnier had a new kind of hair dye, one that was specifically for dark hair (think its called ultra something) so i picked a red one, like a dark dark cherry red with some copper in it, thinking meh maybe ill get a shade lighter than i normally do. i also picked up some nice'n easy root touch up in light brown to mix it in as previously i liked a little more red than brown.

i mix it up like always, it looks weird like bright bubblegum pink but i slather it on and put on a cap and 20 minutes later my hair is SHINY MAGENTA. It was like that punk rock cherry red thats really dark but just glows in the sun. MOrtified. I'm a science teacher so its not really what i was going for. I had to go to work for a day before i could do anything about it and ALL THE KIDS commented on it.

googled for like, three hours for options. The safest and cheapest at the time seemed to be the Vitamin C method, which involves crushing up vitamin c tablets with a cheap clarifying shampoo ( i used johnsons baby...surprisingly damaging to hair) and it did actually manage to get some color out but i was still unhappy with how it looked. way too bright and red for my liking, the most its ever been. the next best option seemed to be color oops so I went out and bought two boxes of the yellow kind plus a box of garnier light ash brown in case i messed up. came home, mixed it up and went to work.

I applied it to my dry hair pouring the mixture right into my gloved hands and sliding it over my hair and using a comb to get it as thoroughly as i could (it gets REALLY stiff so i was afraid to pull very hard) wrapped it in a cap and sat for 25 minutes, the absolute max time i had read to do it, Then in the shower with hot water and a 35 minute podcast playing (i HIGHLY recommend this, most of the reviews talked about how long and boring the rinsing part was and this made it way better) I read that the rinsing is the most important part so i did it well, almost 40 minutes (or until my hot water ran out) with about 4 or 5 shampoos with johnsons baby, with one shampoo in the middle with my boyfriends super strong anti dandruff shampoo that neutrogena one that looks like maple syrup. when the water started to cool i put in my regular conditioner in 5x the amount (that organix sulfate free kind) and rinsed some more. when the water got cold i stopped.

even as i wrapped my hair in a towel, i could see the front part my bangs that were poking out a bit, were no longer red!! they were a brown tone. I knew immediately that this was good news as when i initially dried my hair after dying it the day before, the wet hair was still highlighted very noticebly red. a even bigger boost of confidecne was when i scooped out the hair in the shower drain (a little more than usual, but nothing terrible but again, i have very strong healthy hair to begin with) and didnt see any red tones either. my hair isnt even completely dry as i type this right now and i can already tell that almost all of that terrible gothic red/magenta is gone!!

Things i Would have done differently if i could 1) gotten just one: i bought two boxes and only needed one for my bra strap length hair, and it was expensvie and i threw away the receipt 2) brought a liter of cold ass water in the shower with me. my god i almost fainted and at one point almost got nauseous. this is by far the worst part of the process that steambath lol

That's really it. I was very very satisfied with this product and it did pretty much exactly what I wanted it to do. A lot of people on here were blondes using it and i think it works better on light hair but it worked at least, to do what it promises to do: take out the color of your last dye job. I did it within 24 hours of dying my hair so i dunno about long term dyes, the rest of my hair looks pretty much the same as it did before and it feels okay not damaged too much. maybe a bit drier. and the smell was really not that bad, yeah it stunk and i coughed a few times but just light a damn candle and suck it up.

Would recommend this! for red hair dye on darker hair at least. just remember to comb it through really well and rinse for as long as your body can physically stand it/until the hot water runs out.

The first photo is about an hour after the initial dye job, almost totally dry and in direct sunlight. i needed to know how bad it was so this is obviously the brightest that i ever had it and its BRIGHT, i was super upset at this point. i had gone to the store with wet hair and i could see the damn reflection of the red radiatiing in the reflecting store walls. the second picture is immediately after the color oops, hair dry under bright indoor lights. much better and way more neutral obviously. i read a lot about how the color can darken or go back a few days later but even if i had a little more red in my hair right now i wouldnt be disappointed. SO HAPPY NOW!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by hipchick66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is for the Extra Conditioning version. I'm a natural blonde who colors my hair different shades all the time, using permanent dye. This round I went from pale blonde, reddish blonde, light auburn to bright auburn, then decided I wanted my blonde back. My only hope for this product was that it would remove most of the red so I could re color my hair to a medium golden blonde. I wasn't expecting miracles, but lo and behold, I applied this and rinsed exactly per instructions and when I was done, I had the prettiest pale yellow/golden blonde that does not need to be colored! My hair is a little dried out, but nothing near what bleaching would have done. As for the smell, yes it's not pleasant, but who cares when it works this well!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by lisathor90

Stay away!!! I was so excited to try this out. I wanted to remove the black dye I previously used about 4 months ago because I was going Ash brown. Let me tell ya this, this remover stinks sooooo much. It smells like I have a rotten egg or a dead invisible animal on my head. Lol it is so bad. It removed only a little at the bottom of my hair, other than that I would NOT recommend this item because it does a horrible job and it stinks so badddd.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For all you looking to remove vegi based dyes (like manic panic and nrage) this will NOT work.

Anyways, I've found this brand to be a lot smellier than others I've tried. The smell really stinks up everything it touches and leaves the fume lingering for awhile.

The color stripping aspect of it is ok. I had to use it twice to get my black hair down to a dark blonde. Again, the smell really sticks to your hair.

Also, be aware that although this doesn't have peroxide it may strip the colors off any clothing you have so just be careful.

One plus to this product is that they do give you a pretty good amount so you're less worried that you'll cover your head.

Overall, an ok color stripper in a pinch but you can find better. Loreal carries one that's really good.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by mariadoabarrelroll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you're using to remove a funky color such as, manic panic or punky color AVOID at all cost.

I decided to listen to a friend and give it a try, so instead of going back to the light orange it was bleached to from being pink/purple, my WHOLE head went blue!
Not suggesting to anyone to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review for regular strength color oops.

I had years of black dye on my naturally mousy brown hair which I've been trying to grow out but got impatient with the ends so decided to give this a go.

I wasn't expecting miracles. In fact I doubt there's any product that can totally remove dry from your hair other than a good cut!

I followed the directions to the letter, although my house was quite cool so I used a hair dryer on my hair for a few minutes.

I rinsed for a long time as per the directions and much to my surprise a fair amount of the dark colour had been removed. It's not back to my natural hair colour but I didn't think that would be possible anyway. It's a brown orange colour a shade or two lighter with copper tones.

This didn't dry my hair as much as bleach does, so I'll give it a few weeks for my hair or get back to a better condition then I'll apply a 2nd bottle, perhaps then a toner to help with the copper tones.

One thing is the smell is pretty bad. It smelt like rotten mangos to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by pepesassy

I'm glad to see so many people are happy with this product. Alas, my experience with the regular and extra strength product were very disappointing. I didn't expect the color fairy to come down and remove the color, but I did expect SOME results. I have permanent brown on top of my natural mostly-gray. Just one layer of color on top of my natural color. I first tried the regular strenth and not only did it not remove the color but it left an ugly red tinge. So I tried the extra strengrh with the same result. I followed the instructions to the letter even with extra rinsing since that was emphasized on the instructions. My water heater is thanking me for turning it off.