September 18, 2014 | 2008 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by dianale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this product for many many years during high school and university. The reason I kept buying this product was because of the great coverage I felt it provided, for sure in pictures your face will look flawless but it IS true that if you have acne prone skin this product will make it way worse!! I've seen a lot of the people who claim this product is awesome are people with really bad skin and lots of acne, well it does cover up most of the imperfections, but it is actually just making it worse!!! . I stopped using this product, it is expensive and only good if you are someone who needs to somehow take pictures all the time I guess lol. However, for everyday activities it does seem a super heavy make up (e.g. school). Years after using this product now that my face is acne free, I decided to give it a try for a very important event I had at night....WORST MISTAKE!!!! my face looked perfect that night out and it didn't look super heavy since at night it does look great, but next morning my skin started to breakout again!! after so many years being acne free, I thought I could just go ahead and use it this one time, but no never again!

If you don't get acne or anything like that then I would recomend this prodcut, I myself was not a person with a heavy acne problem at all, but it did make me breakout every time I used it. After going to lots of different dermathologist they all told me the same thing, MAC products are super heavy on your skin and they do clog your pores, preventing your skin to breath and keeping all the dirt on it and hence making you breakout.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2014 8:05:00 PM More reviews by nicki5687

I spent days reading reviews on this product........i decided to get it because i finally had enough money to get it without crying after. I used it the day i got it and it worked AMAZING!! I told the bf that i finally found the perfect powder foundation and then i was sadly mistaken. Yesterday i put it on and i i noticed within about 15 mins it had completely disappeared where my glasses sit on the bridge of my nose so i figured it couldnt be that bad just do a bit of a touch up and i should be good and i was til i tried to wear it today in the heat. I dont know what exactly is the "rave" on this product but i used it today with my garnier bb cream since i knew it was going to be a bit warm out but as soon as i felt my face start to sweat i got nervous. I accidentally hit my hand on my nose and noticed that ALL my makeup on that one spot was gone completely and not only was it gone but it was on my hand so while waiting for the train i decided to again touch it up and it not only looked horrible it looked worse than before!! It caked up and looked badly blotched!!!! I feel like this powder is nothing to go crazy for i like the look of it yes i like the packaging and the color is spot on for my pale translucent skin i got it in nc20 but what is the point of those things if the product itself doesnt LOOK good? I will not be wearing this powder in the heat anymore and will update how it works in the colder weather here in NYC.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/16/2014 6:44:00 AM More reviews by Preia

Actually initially felt this was a good product but after using it for 3 months my skin looks pale without make up n loads of breakout n skin got really dark..only to be used for special occasion not for daily use

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by sarahashleymac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Love love love this powder. It works so well with studio fix fluid foundation along with other foundations too. I find as soon as I apply it, it somehow blurs all my imperfections and just finishes everything nicely. It creates a very matte finish, so if you prefer a luminous or natural finish this may not be the powder for you. I am so glad it comes in NW10- which is the perfect shade for my very pale skin. It keeps me matte throughout the day, although if I apply a bit too much I use Mac's fix+ spray to avoid looking cakey. I have repurchased this in the past and I really hope they never discontinue this because it definitely has HG status for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 8:12:00 AM More reviews by MissSkye

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great powder foundation, and works well as a setting powder if you need that extra bit of coverage. I have quite pale skin and use the N3 shade. I can get away with using it with just concealer and primer underneath if my skin is in a good state, its also great over tinted moisturisers and bb creams. The sponge application gives really full coverage, especially if you press it in with a dampened sponge. The pressed powder is a good consistency and doesn't look chalky on the skin, its also doesn't come away from the compact too loosely so when using a brush you're not wasting too much product. One thing I will say is I wish you could buy refills, in australia it costs AU$49 so it would be nice to cut down the cost by only having to buy the product and not the packaging every single time, in saying that I really like the mac packaging and this is no exception, its a great size to keep on your dresser and throw into your handbag or clutch on the go. Will most likely keep this in my beauty routine forever!
xoxo Miss Skye

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 6:47:00 AM More reviews by katy42

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I stopped using Studio Fix over 12 years ago, but have come back to it by accident and definitely won't be giving it up!

Back then I used NC40, which went on a little chalky sometimes (NC42 too orangey and dark for me) but then oxidised, and I found that this product made my face look shiny as the day wore on and emphasised my pores.

I recently offered to order my sister's Studio Fix NC40 for her online (she's used it for ever and it always looks so flawless and natural on her!) because she didn't have time to go to the shops. Unfortunately I ordered C40 by mistake and couldn't cancel the order. I couldn't return it straight away either, as I was housebound recovering from foot surgery.

When she came to pick up her order she convinced me to try on the unwanted C40 and we were both amazed at the colour match, which is the best I've ever had in 30+ years of foundation purchasing! I think it's even better than the Prescriptives Custom Blend I used to buy. My skin also looked flawless.

The colour match alone made me determined to make Studio Fix work for me this time so I've figured out a good application method for my currently combination skin, which might be of help to anyone else who's had the same problems with this product in the past;
1. Start with a light textured moisturiser with sunscreen (keep the layers as few as you can)
2. Add primer - really makes a difference
3. Apply with a brush (MAC 109 in my case - I've reviewed this item), not the sponge pad, buffing it over and into the skin, and here's the important bit...
4. APPLY WITH A LIGHT TOUCH!
5. If it starts breaking up or going shiny during the day, re-blend with a dry sponge/puff and/or top with a sheer setting powder. Touching up with more Studio Fix will just look heavy and cakey, and make the product more likely to emphasise pores.

I've found that one application will last all day, and I may only need to re-blend after 5 hours or so. In comparison my previous Bobbi Brown foundation + setting powder combo would disappear by lunchtime. Studio Fix also works really well as a concealer, patted on with a flat brush before overall application.
I'm giving it 5 stars overall for the shade match and flawless appearance, although at the moment I'm 4+ for wear - still can't get it to stay matte all day but I'll play around with application techniques until I get there.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 7:58:00 PM More reviews by ang_c

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Some make up products creep up on you. You don't know how reliant you are on them and how excellent they are until you realise you have been using it for years. That's Studio Fix for me. It took me a while to work out my correct shade because I'm pale yellow, almost green, but with some brownish pigmentation. It's actually NC25, although I've recently tried NC20 as my winter skin is paler. It turns out that both shades are the same depth, but NC20 has more yellow. I dust a thin layer on with a kabuki brush and then spray a rosewater toner on a tissue and dab to make it sink into the skin and take away the powdery look. It's looks very natural but evens out my skin. I even use a little under my eyes and it mutes my shadows a little. Highly recommended (better than Stila, Bobbi Brown and Dior powder foundations - these are the only others I've tried).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:23:00 PM More reviews by MeganRodewald

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been buying this product for the past 8 years. Absolutely love it. I wear alone, on top of tinted moisturizer, or on top of foundation....I absolutely love it. The coverage is amazing and works well with my oily skin. It has a very matte finish, which I love. I have tried other powders over the years just to see what else is out there, but i ALWAYS go back to MAC studio fix. definitely my HG - cant-live-without FAVORITE powder!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by grapes123xo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is by far my fav foundation because i am one who likes multi purpose products and anything to make my makeup routine quicker. You apply this just like powder but end up with a perfect fave of foundation and your skin is matte. I read thay its e ven full coverage. Honestly, i hope they dont stop making this.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

This foundation was horrible for me. I didn't care for the coverage or how it made my skin feel. I felt like I had on foundation.