Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 5/24/2015 1:42:00 AM

Absolutely amazed and so thankful for the miracle that aphogee two step protein treatment did for my hair! I was so extremely scared and nervous about using it after reading dome of the bad reviews that people have written about after they used it but after seeing more good reviews then bad and having my first extremely bad experience due to over processing my bleach lightened hair and having huge stringy gummy clumps of hair that had turned to mush from doing 5 lightening treatments in less than a 3 week period come out iny hands whenever I touched or ran my fingers throtmy hair and having now lost half of my hair in a matter of 45 minutes now making my hair jaw length and eventhinner ththan it already was I figured the worse that could happen is it not work and have to be bald right? So after reading how great people said it was in between my huge sobs of crying I went to Sally's beauty store and bought a bottle of the aphogee shampoo and the 2 step protein treatment that was in the small packages due to them being out of the bottles my total cost being $15 I hurried home to start the process immediately! First I used the aphogee clarifying shampoo as directed and dab dried my hair and let completely dry next I applied step1 package of the aphogee protein treatment I didn't think I had my hair saturated enough because I felt Le the package didn't have enough but it obviously did o had seen one of the reviews said just to saturate your hair and pile it on the top of ywhead due TK it hardening and it being fragile enough to snap off and being scared about it decided it would be the easiest method next I took my blow dryer to it I only applied the heat of the blow dryer for about 10 minutes because it felt hardened enough by then but I decided to do as one review had said that she had done and left it in for 4 hours to get what I decided would be most beneficial for my hair after 4 hours I jumped into the shower being terrified about rinsing it completely out without touching it in extreme fear of it snapping off so I just stuck my head under the water in the shower and let the water run over my head for about 20-30 minutes before running my hands through it gently as I was still terrified that I would have clumps come out in my hands again I then applied step 2 balance moisturizer and did as one review said and let it sit in my hair for 1 hour before rinsing out I then dab dryed my hair and then brushed it being very gentle and careful still because I was absolutely terrified of the process not working like I had read happening for some people I then let my hair completely air dry before even attempting to try and run my fingers through it and to my amazement when it dried and I ran my fingers through it there were no clumps in my hands mg hair felt so soft almost to the same feeling as it was before the bleach lightening process I had just done. However my hair is frizzy still so I plan TK go back to Sally's beauty again tomorrow morning and buy the leave in conditioner for my hair and I will also redo the treatment again as directed in 6-8 weeks I am absolutely amazed at the miracle that this performed and extremely thankful for all the reviews that were positive and detailed with the longer time suggestions it worked great and will now always have on hand for future use!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First things first, my hair is not overly damaged. I only color it 1-2 times per year with a semi-permanent color, and-up until a few months ago- only heat styled occasionally. The reason I got this product is because everyone raved about it and I have been heatstyling quite often lately, so I figured, what the heck?

I am so glad I got this. My hair felt brand new once I rinsed this stuff off! For me, one of the little trial packets was just enough for my mid-back hair BUT I used gloves during the application process so it didn't soak into my hands at all, if gloves aren't available to you then I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the larger size options.

Also, other reviews talked about having a 20-30 minute wait period under the dryer but for me I felt like it didn't take nearly as long! Maybe because my hair wasn't as damaged? I don't know. But I did the treatment as directed but I skipped using the attached conditioner Step 2 conditioner instead I used my Jason's Henna Color Protect conditioner and left it in for a few hours.

After I rinsed my conditioner out, I wrapped my hair in a towel and left it up for about 2-3 minutes, unwrapped the towel so I could put in my after-shower products and WOW my hair was CURLY!! I thought I had lost my curl due to my hair growing so long, but this stuff brought back my curls! So be prepared to have a new texture/curl-pattern after this! A few days later I also straightened my hair and wow! It was smooth and frizz free!

Unfortunately, each wash I loose the "new hair" feeling BUT the treatment is only suppose to last 6 weeks so that was expected!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This stuff is the sh*t for bleached hair. I bleach over bleached hair (so bad, I know!) and use either a curling iron or flat iron every single day. This stuff keeps my hair looking and feeling healthy. I was buying the packets for awhile, but now I just get full sized. You need to use a good moisturizing conditioner after it (NOT a conditioner that says it is moisturizing but really just full of silicones, like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle). I either pick one up from Sally's (Ion Moisture is good), or use my favorite from Whole Foods (Earth Science Olive & Avocado Hair Masque - such a great, mostly unknown brand)

on 3/30/2015 9:49:00 AM

I bought the moisturizing bottle (purple) at a large beauty store by itself as its available that way......'EH'. Not bad, not good. That's my take.

(Two years of experimenting with bleach/colors/after treatments!)

on 3/29/2015 10:52:00 PM

Like others post, some are using this product incorrectly. With proper use it is a decent product. I went from black and dark red hair to blonde. Wanted a product to prevent breakage and drying, and this does good. It doesnt smell great, but it isnt as awful as others proclaim. It also does take time, since hair needs to be washed and dried 2x.

on 3/25/2015 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

THIS PRODUCT: claims to repair hair by replenishing lost protein due to chemical processes. If you have longer/thicker hair [for reference, my hair is shoulder length, layered so it's not so thick] then you should buy the bottle sizes. I say that plural because you need the Balancing Moisturizer [step 2, if you will]. I opted for the 3.49 packet, perforated in the center, dividing the protein from the moisturizer (heed caution when tearing one from the other). I almost did not have enough for my hair.
OH, and the smell. I mean, people, come on. To me, it smells like syrup mixed with apple cider vinegar. I could honestly give a shit less about stench so long as my hair benefits.

MY HAIR: bleached bathed, bleached, toned, toned, colored at least 4 times AT LEAST in a two week period of time and finally, today, color stripped. i.e. DISGUSTING. you may be wondering why I am typing this review and not locked up in a mental institution :D

THE PROCESS: Right after I did Color Oops (freshly shampooed hair), I towel blotted my hair, cut open the protein and dribble drabbed it across my whole head and lengths, carefully combing through with a wide tooth comb QUICKLY. Then I started to blowdry, careful not to move my head/hair around too much. 30 min later my hair was nice and hard.
Rinsed with warm/hot water and followed up with the moisturizer [left in for 2 min and rinsed with cold water]

MY RESULTS: I would say the breakage is greatly reduced. my hair feels more like hair.but i will also say it's a very involved process and for the amount of effort, of course I wish my hair was like restored completely. Obviously thats not the case. I am happy enough just giving my hair some protein and doing something to help it rather than destroy it.
You can probably find something better/equally good less hassle. But for most this worked extremely well so maybe you'll be among the super lucky!

on 3/20/2015 9:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product genuinely saved my hair. In the past 5 years, my hair has gone from black to blonde to brown and now I'm going back to blonde. My hair is chemically damaged from all of the processing so I went to get a hair cut and had this product recommended to me. I tried it today and I immediately noticed a huge difference. My hair is no longer stretchy, mushy, and it doesn't break when I comb it anymore. If you have CHEMICALLY damaged hair, please use this product. If you have HEAT damage, use a strong moisturizing conditioner. They are two different kinds of damage and if you use this product when you don't need it, it could damage your hair more. Love this stuff!!!

on 3/6/2015 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's not that scary!! I'm here to at least enlighten anyone that when used correctly, there's absolutely nothing to worry about!!
My hair history - I have Caucasian, medium texture, straight slight wave hair. I recently had a bad temporary dye experience (box-dye never again), and it left my hair a tangled mess! It battered the ends, and it made my hair feel half as thick. Yikes, it was a gross disaster for a couple of weeks, that I could not let down.
I tried everything - and having had a bleach disaster in my past, I was already familiar with Nexxus emergencee, kpak, etc. etc you name it, I tried it. It all did nothing.
But this product is EVERYTHING nexxus emergence claims to be.This product actually works!!!
I was already aware that protein treatments make the hair quite hard - nexxus does too, so I knew what to expect in that way, but this one is quite different.

Let me also say that I was TERRIFIED of using it - my hair was in such a state that I stayed up late at night reading reviews on amazon and here - like 20 pages worth, so let me tell you, I really did my research! I decided I would start with a strand test. I took a piece from my front section, and yes, even the whole process of that took about an hour, but I could tell instantly that one piece of hair felt so much better than the rest!

There's honestly nothing to be scared of.

The only way it will break off your hair - is if you intentionally do that yourself (agitating it, when it specifically says not to). It's not going to harm your hair. If you're scared, try a small piece first. So I shampooed with pureology, rinsed it, then saturated a whole strand. I blasted it with super high heat for the first 10 minutes, to get it out of the 'tacky' step, then onto getting a bit more solid, turned the heat down to medium until hard. I actually find it easier to manage when it's more solid, as it doesn't stick to everything! Yes, I wore a garbage bag, and prepared myself for the worst, but it wasn't that messy. I've done worse! It's no different then dying your hair!

One thing I would recommend - don't touch the hair. No, not cause it will break off, but rather it's just superrr sticky and annoying, so more than anything it's because you'll pull a few strands loose, so I ended up washing my hands a few times through the process.

After it was all hard, jumped in the shower, water on slightly less pressure, just to ease it in gently, and viola - rinsed out!

Yes, as others have mentioned, the smell is atrocious, but a small price to pay. The balancing moisturizer smells like mens cologne, ha which is slightly better but still odd, and it takes most of the smell away in a couple hours.

The result - MUCH stronger hair. I can feel my individual hair strands again, and I can actually leave my hair down! Rejoice! Although I'm not out of the woods yet, I have bought some thickening products as well to get me through the next bit. I can't wait to use this again in 4 week (says 6, but I think my hair needs it a bit earlier).

Bottom line - don't be afraid to use it!!!! Those few scary reports are from people not using it correctly, etc. It's super easy, and I can't believe I had this for about a year, before I actually got the guts to use it! So I'm hoping I can inspire at least one person to go ahead and save your hair!

Oh, and I should mention, I used an ENTIRE bottle for one usage (4oz). but my hair is also really long. I will re-purchase the bigger size next time, and I just used the balancing moisturizer from the packet size.

on 3/3/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I am African American with naturally curly hair. I straightened my hair one time with a babyliss straightener and after a wash my hair will not return to it's curly texture. It was literally spaghetti straight, thin, brittle, and damaged after my shower. I read many many reviews about this product as Well as many other products and decided to give this a try. The product did not restore my hair back to it's natural curl but it did give it some volume and a little bit of a wave. I definitely received the moisture my hair needs to grow. If you have heated damaged hair, my advice to you is NOT to start with a big chop, start with this product. It may not give the results you want, but it does help. Also if this doesnt work for you, try k-pak reconstructor. The first time I damaged my hair due to heat 7 years ago, that product worked WONDERS.

on 3/1/2015 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

My hair has been through hell and back with bleach. Currently, after having dyed my hair a ginger color close to my natural, I'm now bleaching everything to get it light enough to put green over. Any of y'all with curly hair may or may not have been through the horror of having bleached your hair and seeing that it's completely zapped most, if not all, of your natural curl pattern from your locks. Surprise surprise, happened to me for the second time during my lightening quest.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of this system. I'd heard the rave reviews, sure, but still skeptical. Went to Sally's the other day and decided to try it. Picked up the mini bottle of the protein stuff and full-sized conditioner (I mean honestly, one of the packets wasn't going to saturate my hair and at $3.99 per little packet, may as well just get the bottle for a bit more with more product in it.) I figured that even if it didn't work miracles, I could still use it as a protein treatment now and again.

Yada yada, my hair was washed the night before so I didn't bother shampooing it, just wet it in the sink, combed it through. Sectioned my hair off, saturated each bit with it (I didn't get it DRIPPING with product, but enough to get it all covered and good), plunked down on the bathroom floor with my laptop and a blow dryer set on warm and medium power for the next half hour, moving it slowly around my head, feeling it get all cemented and hard.

After it was all dried in and then some, hopped in the shower, let it soften under the water a bit, did the conditioner, and waited to see what results I would get. And, may I just say: holy hell.

My hair feels fantastic. Every little strand that my curl had disappeared from because of the bleach sprung back to life with their coils and curls. Hardly any hair at all coming off in my comb. Even feels a bit thicker? I'm impressed.

The smell of the yellow liquidy protein stuff isn't honestly THAT bad. I see some people describing it as the worst thing they've ever smelled in their life, but really...I've smelled far worse sniffs in my life. Yeah, it's not pleasant, but it's not strong enough or smelly enough to make me gag or anything. I'd rather take in multiple whiffs of this than breathe in the Color Oops smell.

Your hair does get pretty rock-hard, so be careful and don't agitate it. None of my hair snapped off when it got shuffled around, but be careful just in case. It's very runny and liquidy, and spread easily through my hair to get everything covered.

I'm not sure what else to say about this other than that it's amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this every 6 weeks, and plan to splurge on the big bottle of the protein treatment when I use up the little one. My hair feels healthy, strong, and down to get the friction on (I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to).

I'm just really excited about this. I wasn't expecting to get my curl back until my hair grew out, so I'm surprised. I feel like I've just hit the jackpot having this in my hair care arsenal.