August 30, 2014 | 1146 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by ShiMakeup

Bought this a second time after a loooong time and very quickly realized it makes my foundation seperate and my skin oily. I love the texture, the packaging ,and the feel. also the ingredients. I really wanted to love this product but it makes my face into a mess :( ill still finish the tube but unfortunately cant buy again. Pooo

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by worrly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried this tube off and on over the years and I'm still on the fence about this. I used to love Clinique in my 20s. I loved that it's fragrance free and supposedly hypoallergenic but that can depend on what your skin reacts to. I loved the clean minimal look and the SA in their lab coats but especially the GWP which always suckered me in for stuff I didn't need. They also have the best prices for a department store line.

This goes on with a tint which worked okay for my now :( medium skin tone (Maybelline Buff) and evened my skin but isn't full coverage. Sometimes it feels really drying on my face and is really matte so any makeup afterwards looks chalky. I think it depend on how hot the weather is as today it went on smoothly, my face looks semi-matte. I think it works best as a primer.

However, I used City Block off and on over the years and it always burns my face! I can't figure out what ingredient is causing the burning sensation. The only thing that could be a problem is the gentian or rosemary extract which is really high on the list. It also separates over time and even with shaking it doesn't go back to normal. The tube needs to be used up as next year it might be oily on top so I suppose that is why today it is not drying on my skin. It does cause breakouts but I'm careful to pat not rub it on.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2014 4:19:00 AM More reviews by VeryAroma

Shame on Clinique! I tried the City Block 25 and am loving it. The slight tint, the feel on my skin - all very pleasant.
Now I have to find out that the European version of this DOES NOT contain zinc oxide and therefore has very little UV-A protection. I am bummed and will not repurchase unless I can get my hands on the US-version. Really Clinique, this sucks!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Phivu

I loved the texture of this sunscreen and the tint, even though it doesn't make much difference in terms of color. I could see tiny powderys on my face from using this- the tint doesn't totally disappear, but I'm fine with it and it's not really noticeable. The reason this didn't work for me was because it wasn't enough moisture for my skin. When I first put on the sunscreen it felt thick and great but later my face felt a bit tight and even a bit warm especially under my nose where I breathe out (but that burning/warm feeling went away after putting make up on). I have combination skin but my face needs more moisture, and this physical sunscreen tends to dry out my skin and I can't use it. Be sure to try this sunscreen before you buy it to make sure you don't have tight feeling skin after. Get this if your face doesn't need too much moisture like I do.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Word to the acne prone: I would take caution in trying this spf, which is actually more like a moisturizer with spf. Clogged me big time. Otherwise, it's a great product.

PROS:
Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide = stable, effective spf
Tinted to avoid white cast from physical ss
Antioxidants
Smooth application
No irritating ingredients

CONS:
If you use too much, the tint can turn ruddy colored (which isn't ideal since you are supposed to liberally apply spf)
Clogging ingredient: Stearyl heptanoate = thick emolient
Clogging ingredient: cyclopentasiloxane

Of course, YMMV with the ingredients in city block that clogged me. When I wore even a thin layer, 20 mins later small clogs could easily be seen under the surface of my cheeks. I never have clogs on my cheeks unless I'm using a clogging product. After stopping my use of city block, the clogs disappeared within a week.

Overall, a well formulated spf with beneficial ingredients and cosmetically elegant formula. If only it didn't clog damn it!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by paigie42

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as my daily moisturizer. It has a small amount of tint to it to even out the whitish cast that the sunscreen would normally leave. The tint really has no impact on my skin. It has a bit of a thick consistency and leaves a slightly dewy finish on my skin. I thought it might not be enough moisture for my slightly combo skin, but it feels very good on - not too heavy or greasy, but not drying or tight either. It leaves a nice finish for me to apply my liquid foundation over. The best part for me is that it does not sting my eyes like other sunscreens. I have a hard time with that and have had to stop using many products for that reason. Even though it is not labeled as a daily moisturizer, I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't need a ton of moisture or for summer use. My only complaint is that it is a little expensive for my budget, but I will probably repurchase when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a physical sunscreen, full spectrum. No chemical screen, and it is oil blocking, non comedogenic and has antioxidants in it. It works as a tinted moisturizer if you are fair, and the tint just blocks the chalk look of the physical sunscreen ingredients. It can be used as a primer as well.

I bought it last year because my skin is reacting to chemical sunscreens. I love it. I do have to wear a good cream under it on my dry skin areas aka the non t zone bits. Prevented tanning, freckling & burning. No zits.

I found it worked well as a tinted moisturizer but I'm a fair skinned redhead. I also set it with an spf pressed powder from Maybelline now discontinued!!!! Next I will try with Elizabeth Arden spf 25 mineral powder foundation. Edited to add, this is a wonderful combo. It ups the SPF a bit which is great, plus it adds another sheer layer of coverage but it looks like you aren't wearing anything, just that your skin looks great.

It tends to separate in the tube so give a good shake and massage the tube every few days.

Great for travel, the tube is under the liquid allowance limit so if you just use a carry on you will find it handy.

The ONLY downside is that it can be a bit drying. On the plus side, it doesn't enhance flaky dry bits or cause zits, so the comfort factor is the only negative and I solved that by applying CeraVe on my dry patches before applying this.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Star28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really, really wanted to like this product, as I need a physical sunscreen. This one gets a lot of high ratings, is a great sunscreen and also contains lots of stuff that's good for your skin. So off to the Clinique counter I went.

The color of this product, while brown, blended in nicely with my skintone. But this product settled into every single pore on my face and made my pores more noticeable. It also settled into all my fine lines (and I don't have many). Applied foundation and concealer over this, which helped, but the color of my foundation was slightly off with this underneath it.

Applied this about 10 a.m. and washed my face around 8 p.m. No residue left on my face after using my regular cleanser.

Positives:
Easy to apply
Felt cosmetically elegant
Gives great sun protection
Price is decent for a silky facial physical sunscreen
I didn't have to blot my face once when wearing this!

Cons:
Settled into every single pore and line on my face
To get adequate sun protection you'd need to apply an entire teaspoon of this product. A teaspoon worth of this product on the face would be way too thick and sticky
As the day wore on, my face looked grainy
As the day wore on, my facial lines appeared magnified

I wanted to get a sample of this before purchasing a full-sized tube but was told samples of this product were not available. However, I was assured by the salesperson that I could return the product once I'd tried it if I didn't like it. Back it went. Still searching for an affordable physical sunscreen that plays nice with my skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Great stuff.

I've been using this and the City Block SPF40 for 20 years. It seems to work and at 50+ I have no wrinkles and little pigmentation.

There is a difference between this and the SPF40 version. This is thicker because it has more titanium dioxide and fewer chemicals. Whilst this is good in my opinion it does make for a thicker product which can 'bubble' if you apply too much.

It's also darker than the SPF40- mainly due to being less sheer. For a pale girl like me, it is darker than my foundation, so adds colour even though sometimes I'd rather it didn't.

I don't agree with the idea it's greasy- I don't think it is at all. It's good value and even using it daily a tube lasts me around 6 months which seems a real bargain!

I'd rate it as 5 *s if it wasn't so tinted.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by Kittenwhiskas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This makes me look very shiny even though it says oil free. Its a shame because the formula is very gentle and has a nice sheer tint which doesn't leave a white cast. If I apply foundation over the top, these tiny little powdery particles start to ball up and ruin my application. I will not be repurchasing but will continue to wear when I go for a run.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No