October 21, 2014 | 1900 users online

Treatments (Face) - Pure Vitamin E Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2009 4:48:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the Rite-Aid brand Vitamin E oil (28,000 IU) for about $8. Now, to be fair, I did a lot of research before testing this product, since I have extremely acne prone, sensitive skin. I found that Tocopheryl acetate is a synthetic form of vitamin e that will be almost yellow/clear and be very sticky... 'pure' viatmin e will b dark in color, have a bad smell, and parish quickly. Both are great.
I only spot dab this with a q-tip, VERY lightly to my areas, only at night, and in like a week, they are 90% gone. Post acne spots, red marks, scabs, etc. I DO NOT recommend you slather this all over your face or use it on a current, angry zit. It will make it worse.
The pharmacist I spoke to when purchasing this said the 'IU' (international units) means more purity and is usually more expensive, and usually better, but that going above 19,000 IU's isn't necessary. He also did inform me, that if there are other ingredients on the label (Salflower oil, grape seed oil, or any other kind of oil) that it will probably make me break out, so to stick to a brand with just ONE ingredient on the label. I listened, and have yet to have any problems, and I absolutley love this stuff. Been using it for over a year now.

25 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by flossyglam

Ok first things first; This is a review for the Walgreens vitamin E oil. Ingredients; tocopheryl acetate. Let me just say that this made me break out in some kind of mild hive/allergy around my eyes and tops of my cheeks (oddly enough, nowhere else I applied the product got this reaction). It looks like a poison ivy rash. Other than poison ivy, I have never been allergic to anything that's come into contact with my skin (cosmetics, cleansers, nothing) so this is a first. I know of one other person who has broken out from this brand, but I figured that their sensitive skin had nothing in common with my resistant skin. Apparently I was wrong! Anyways, I am still willing to give vitamin E oil another go (although NOT this formulation), and this is the reason;
After doing a little research I discovered that, "tocopherl acetate" is a synthetic form of vitamin E. Not all people are allergic to it (apparently I can even tolerate it in small doses, as I discovered the synthetic version is commonly used in other cosmetics I use, and with no problem), but those that are should try a natural form of vitamin E before giving up. I will continue to look until I find a brand that contains "tocopheryl" or "alpha-tocopheryl" (basically as long as "acetate" isn't involved, ie a natural form), and then update again.
UPDATE: I was correct in assuming that I was allergic to the synthetic. I switched to a Spring Valley natural vitamin E in capsule form and have no ill effects at all! I have been using faithfully for 2 weeks, and attribute a smoother complexion to this new addition.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2012 2:30:00 AM More reviews by jkangaroo

I use the Nature's Gate brand because it is natural and not synthetic vitamin E. If you do some research, you will see that synthetic vitamin E is not very effective and can even be harmful. If the label lists the vitamin E with a d-prefix (like d-alpha tocopherol or d-alpha tocopheryl acetate) then it's natural. If it's a dl-prefix (like dl-alpha tocopherol) then it's synthetic.

I use vitamin E to smooth out my skin. I've been using it for about a month now and while I only notice small differences in appearance, my skin does feel better and the texture is smoother. I dab a drop under each eye and add two drops into my palm with 5 drops of almond oil and massage it into my neck and chest. I do not recommend applying the vitamin E all over your face because when I did that I woke up with aggravated skin that was oddly dry and irritated. Big mistake and haven't done it since. I have no idea what I was thinking. The vitamin E takes quite a while to absorb into my under eye area so I only apply at night. It absorbs faster when I mix it with lotion or another oil.

Sometimes I add a drop into a pump of Aveeno and use it on my scarred up legs. I have no idea if this is working, but if I also add a few drops of sweet almond oil, it makes the Aveeno absorb quickly and leaves my skin feeling very nourished.

I bought this for about $11 at Whole Foods. I didn't have anything else to order online and with the shipping prices I could find, it would've cost the same.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by laviniax3

Just to note before my review, I have very sensitive, oily, acne prone skin. Most acne products that I've used, my skin as reacted badly to, but in the past year, I cut all soaps and acne products out of my routine and opted for a more natural route.

Okay I know picking is bad, but let's be real, it happens sometimes. About 3 weeks ago, I had this really bad under the skin spot, and I tried to extract it on my own- worst decision EVER. I made this huge terrible wound on my face that I knew was going to scar horribly and I had a party to go to the next day. I panicked and had no idea what to do. Then I remembered my mother had gotten me a bottle of vitamin e capsules quite some time ago. She told me to try it on my acne scars because a family friend was recommended it by a doctor for a really bad cooking burn, but I never listened to her. I thought "why would I put oil on my face? My face is oily enough!" Well in a moment of desperation, I decided to try it. I cut a little hole at the top of a capsule and put the oil all over my face. The results were dramatic! I'm not saying that it was gone overnight, but the laceration I made to my face the night before was starting to heal, and I noticed my overall complexion looked much brighter. By the next day, enough skin had formed over the wound that I was able to cover it pretty well with make up. The spot healed up in about 3 or 4 days and left a pretty nasty scar, but I've been using the vitamin e every night and one month later, you couldn't even tell I did anything to that spot. My older scars have also faded very noticeably. I'm very pleased with my new routine. I haven't had any break outs or negative effects from using the vitamin e. I've also noticed that my eye lashes have gotten longer too!

Basically my routine is this. At night, I cleanse my face with colloidal oatmeal mixed with water. I use olive oil to remove any make up first, if necessary. Then once my face is clean and dry, I take 1 vitamin e capsule (400 IU Kirkland Signature brand from Costco) and apply the oil all over my face (sometimes I'll use rosewater as a toner first if my skin is irritated, but not every night). If I have any pimples, I dab a bit of tea tree oil on them. I let this sit for at least an hour before going to bed so some of it gets absorbed. Then I just sleep and the rest of it gets absorbed into my skin overnight. I wake up and my skin looks bright and hydrated, and it seems like my scars fade more and more every day (and I had many before). My skin looks healthy and glows. Any pimples I get now are much smaller and heal in a few days, no picking necessary ;).

I would recommend everyone to try this. I can see from the reviews it doesn't work for everyone, but I also noticed most of the negative reviews were by people that used very very strong vitamin e oil. I would recommend that people use a lower strength, 200 or 400 IU is sufficient enough.

I've been looking into the oil cleansing method for a while now, and I've only recently started it. I've been doing a mix of 1 vitamin e capsule with equal part castor oil, and so far my skin looks noticeably healthier every morning, but it's too early for me to give a real review about that at this point.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2006 7:51:00 PM More reviews by Jenesis914

Vitamin E oil in its pure form (d-Alpha Tocopherol) is very good for fading acne scars. What I do is I take a needle and pierce a softgel and then squeeze it onto my face and then rub in with my fingers. Afterwards, I put a little Cetaphil moisturizing cream on top and rub that in. I feel like it helps the Vitamin E absorb better (not to mention, extra moisturizing is a good thing). I've been doing this for a month (on and off because it makes me very oily) and my acne scars have reduced in color by about 70%. This also helps to reduce the size of new pimples. I had a pimple near my nose that was getting closer to the popping stage and in just 2 days of applying vitamin E to it, it disappeared and there is no scarring. It seemed to help even my skin tone too but it could be just healing old acne scars that i've gotten used to seeing. I had a scrape on the top of my foot that never quite healed and just a week of vitamin E has made it less raw looking. I use the 400 I.U softgels which have enough oil to coat my entire face and the spot on my foot. I also take one orally to make it more effective by healing scars from inside out. Best thing i've ever tried for acne scars. CHEAP AND EASY!***update***a drop or two on your lips gets rid of chapped lips and makes them smoother

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 11:33:00 AM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

Vitamin E was recommended to me by my gynecologist to help me with breast pain caused by benign tumors. He said it helps lower the inflammation of the tissues resulting from it. And it worked. I read somewhere Vitamin E oil is good for the skin too, so I figured I should use it for my under eye area to help with the inflammation too. My under eye area is brown, full of noticeable veins, and very swollen. I tend to use massive amounts of concealed every time.
Last night I took a vitamin E softgel and poked it with a needle; I took the drops of the oil and gently patted them under my eyes. It is an oil with a very thick, sticky consistency, so I worried it would provoke me some serious milia. I left it overnight and looked at my self in the mirror this morning, I was surprised. My skin absorbed it completely, it felt soft, the eye area was also brighter and it helped with fine lines too. My veins are less visible, and when I put concealer it glides easier too. I think this will be a good night rutine from now on.
(I figured it is not too different from Elizabeth Arden's night capsules, and for a fraction of the price)...
I recommend you give this a try!

(***My skin type is combination-oily)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have sensitive skin which breaks out if I use products that are pore-clogging or too oily. A few drops of the Vitamin E oil after washing my face at night with a gel cleanser, and my skin just GLOWS in the morning. It looks plump, the fine lines are diminished around my eyes and lips and my cheeks look radiant. I thought I had oily/combination skin and that oils were a no-no but this shows me that my skin was unbalanced and needed moisture. Amazing product!

UPDATE 1/2012: currently on an oil-free regimen. Still use this product for intense moisture masks and very dehydrated days, but not on a daily basis.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2009 12:38:00 AM More reviews by JulesSD17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For three months after starting birth contol (for the treatment of acne which really wasn't that bad) I broke out in horrible, i mean HORRIBLE acne that was brought on because of its collision with my thyroid hormone pills... my esthetician was speechless and was recommending accutane. Once I stopped taking the birth control (that was worth it, wasn't it?) I was still having the horrible acne and the redness was off the charts. I bought the Obagi acne cleanser system which is incredibly pricey and was less than impressed. I am educated in skin care and I knew that when acne products dry out your skin it will make your situation much worse... and I was right. I stopped using the system and started using a regular drugstore salicylic acid foaming scrub (Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit) every other day and moisturized with a dime size amount of pure aloe vera gel mixed with 2 drops of tea tree oil every night. the acne cleared up in weeks. i couldn't believe it. once it cleared up, i still had awful red scars on my cheeks (despite my skin being very smooth). so i substituted the tea tree oil with vitamin e oil from trader joe's. this is the best thing i have ever done for my skin. SO moisturizing, does not clog my pores one bit! ironic considering i spent loads of money on something "guaranteed" to fix my skin but mother nature ended up helping in the end. i am now using no products that aren't natural EXCEPT the foaming scrub every other day... skin has NEVER looked better. vitamin e oil saved my life the scars are fading tremedously.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by vnessuh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

Am adding this to my Almond Oil moisturizer routine. I have incredibly dry skin and straight pure oil is the only way to hydrate it. I bought it to put on a scabby knee so the car wouldn't be so bad. It's healed considerable in two days and I'm expecting the redness to begin fading with continued use. I love it most though, for it's moisturizing properties. I have been using Almond Oil for a couple of years, but it's more expensive than this and I'm running out. So I decided to try Vit. E for the next few weeks and monitor the results. So far, so good. It's faded one scar from a pimple I got from Loreal's new primer (which does an incredible job, but breaks me out so I've discontinued use) and the results are phenomenal.

Let's put it this way, I'm 25 and am constantly carded when going to places 18 and up. I was recently at a party and a 17 year old followed me around. It's not a joke. Pure oils are the way to go when it comes to hydrating and preserving your skin. DO IT. You won't be sorry...

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2013 4:14:00 AM More reviews by liladenia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

It is said vitamin e is good for our skin.

I am searching information about vitamin e oil. I found that it would be better for us to use natural vitamin e rather than synthetic vitamin e.

From my experience, i also found that it is better for me to use pure vitamin e.

I have ever used a food grade vitamin e as my face moisturizer (mix with my favorite lotion / cream face)
It's ingredients is:
FDC Blue no 1
Cl no 42090
FDC Yellow no 5
Cl no 19140

I bought it from my local store. It's in a soft capsule. I pin the capsule then i drop it on my palm. I mix it with cream or lotion so that it's not too greasy.

It moisturizes my face. But doesn't do anything further. My fine lines, dark spot and acne are still there. It doesn't make my skin supple or soft or somewhat i want it to be.

I decided to choose natural pure vitamin e.

Then i choose vitamin e oil from Colonial Dames brand.
It is said :
This pure vitamin e oil has been assayed at 28.000 I.U. per bottle and is dermatologist tested. Pharmaceutical Grade............
It's ingredients :
tocopheryl acetate (pure vitamin e)

It cames with a cute bottle packaging (like a nail polish packaging). A dropper is included in the box.

I take e few drops on my palm. Mix it with my face cream/lotion. Then apply it to my face. Then i put my make up on (am) or go to bed (pm)

After a few days, my skin become more supple and soft. My dark spot is lighter. My acne becomes smaller too =)

I suggest you mix this oil with your face cream/or lotion. Because it's so thick. Hard to apply this oil to your face alone.

You can add some vitamin c powder if u want. For a radiant glow and lighten skin tone. But remember, just a small amount, or you'll get irritated.

The important thing is, it's not expensive. Hahaha
Just for you know, i use clarisonic to wash my face before applying this
Hope it helps.=)