January 27, 2015 | 1545 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Enzyme Cleansing Gel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2015 11:14:00 AM More reviews by productjunkie76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this cleanser so far. Been using for a few weeks so I will update. I am combo/oily/sensitive/acne prone. Ever since Dr. Denese dermaclean was discontinued, I have been on the hunt for some good cleaners. I have found a few so far. This one to me is more of an exfoliating treatment than a cleanser. I was really surprised by it's exfoliating ability actually. I use this every other morning and leave on for a few min and massage in. I use a sep cleanser for my eye area in the AM as I am not sure you shud use this around eyes. If you leave it on for a few it will exfoliate. I have a noticable difference in the smoothness of my skin after a few weeks and I had noticed the softness right away. At night, I can use this after first using another cleanser to take off my makeup. To take off my makeup I am loving nuskin triphasic white cleanser and I sometimes I double cleanse at night and use PC n/o hydralight cleanser after. I have already bought this in a larger size. Oh and try the MB Enzyme C for the body too!!! I would not use this to take off makeup. It is a treatment after you cleanse in my mind. Simple ingredients too!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2015 5:36:00 PM More reviews by bumblevi

I tried this product based on a survey I filled out on Mario Badescu's website. I used it for 2 months in conjuction with the same brand's Acne facial wash. It's a nice, gentle cleanser and has a pleasant fragrance. Overall, I don't believe it cleared my acne, although I don't think it claims to either. But since the company recommended I use both, then I tried it. If I didn't have acne problems, I would probably use it. But, since I do have acne problems, I need something that will help control my acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by paperdoll66

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a great option for anyone that can't use products with aloe or herbal oils. I love the packaging. It's easy to just get the amount of product that I need, so I don't feel like I'm wasting it. It leaves my skin feeling really clean. It exfoliates, but it is really gentle. I've used it on scars and spots that I thought were too sensative for my exfoliating body wash without any irritation, which is very useful.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by kcuriel039

I am 28, have sensitive/dry/acne prone skin and had been trying all kinds of products that would not irritate or dry out my skin. I have tried so many expensive and drug store products in the past 6 years. I was using Cetaphil, as it was one of the only face washes that did not cause me to break out. I ordered the Mario Badescu cucmber lotion, glycoloic foaming cleanser along with the cleanisng gel and it has made a world of difference. I am no longer breaking out every week. My skin is smoother and a little goes a long way. It may seem like it does not wash off all of your makeup but after cleansing I use the cucumber lotion (toner) and I hardly get any extra makeup/dirt. If you wear heavy makeup you may need to apply twice. I use the cleanser twice a day. I have been using for about 2 months and have not even used half of the bottle. So glad I found this brand. It is the only time my face has been clear in years. WIill def stick to their products from here on out

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2014 3:05:00 AM More reviews by HealthyKae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bought a little sample since my sheisdo cleansing gel is discontinued. So far. So good.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2014 12:50:00 PM More reviews by dlittlegarden

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I have waited this long to try Mario Badescu products! My skin has been freaking out for the past year and a half, and I've tried many different products and cleansing techniques to fix it with lackluster results. I have been getting hormonal breakouts along my jaw and on my cheeks. Tiny clusters of whitehead bumps under the surface, as well as long-term raised red acne bumps and the occasional pimple, and of course the dark spot scarring that goes with these. To make matter worse, I have sensitive, combination skin. What seems to work for one part of my face seems to make another part worse, and many things cause irritation. Miserable.

Then, last weekend while holiday shopping at Urban Outfitters, I saw that some of MB's products were being sold. I initially went for the drying lotion, which I have yet to try, but am excited about, but then at the last minute I grabbed this cleanser as well. That night, I washed my makeup off in the sink using this stuff. It burned my eyes a bit and I wasn't exactly loving the feel of the gel on my face. It didn't feel like it was washing anything off. I did two lather and rinses, and most of my makeup came off, with the exception of some mascara remnants, but that is normal for me. The next day, I was so pleasantly surprised to see that the cluster of bumpy raised red acne on my cheek had flattened out and dried up considerably! I used the cleanser again that morning, and followed up with a rich moisturizer.

It's only been 4 days now, but I've been using this cleanser every morning, and about half of the evenings (I've gone back to removing my makeup with jojoba and olive oil, but then follow with a lather and rinse with the Enzyme cleanser). The results are getting even better! My cheek and jaw acne has flattened and dried out, and though I've had a couple pimples break through overnight, they've been teeny tiny, and disappeared after my morning wash with the cleanser. I'm hoping I continue to get these results with the cleanser. If I do, it will be my holy grail.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/5/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by tvall

I've been using this cleanser for about 3 months now and I am really disappointed. Its not until I have moved on to a different one that I realized how poor this stuff actually is.

Ok it isn't terrible. It didn't break me out and it is nice an gentle with OK ingredients - infact I do like how there is only a few simple ingredients in this.

For me, this cleanser will never be a HG because it lack in one main thing.. CLEANSING. This will not remove your makeup, I don't care what they say, this cleanser has a sticky gel texture that doesn't foam or even feel like its doing anything for that matter, you just end up rubbing and smudging it into your face.

If you have really good skin and you don't wear make up then this cleanser may be for you as it is gentle, simple and has a kind ingredients list.

Anyone else, I wouldn't waste your money. There are far better cleansers out there that are a way more productive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2014 11:11:00 AM More reviews by pf3855

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I so wanted to like this - love the simple packaging, the price... but what's inside the bottle is what really matters here and it just didn't do it for me. I take my make up of each evening with a cleansing wipe so all I'm asking this product to do is come in after and get what's left and leave me feeling clean & refreshed. It doesn't even do that. After washing with this and rinsing using a washcloth and then using MB toner I still have makeup left and I don't even wear that much makeup - little foundation, powder & blush. I do use an oil to remove eye makeup and my long wear lipstick so I didn't expect MB cleanser to do that. The amount of glycerin in this product leaves me feeling kinda greasy and I don't get a fresh clean look when I'm done. I've used it for a month now and just can't get happy about it so I'm on to something else.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2014 7:02:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Alright, I've been itching to review this but gave it a lot of time. I got this on Sept 3...it's now Oct. 5. I am almost positive I bought and used this about 5 years ago but gave it to a friend because I thought it "didn't do enough". Full disclosure, over those past few years I have had worsening skin problems, partly due to product reaction, partly to over picking and also just my own changing chemistry (I guess, though BC didn't help so it's not a hormonal issue). I tried natural, oils, chemical, AHA/BHA, acne medications, prescriptions, etc. So long story short, there is no Holy Grail. Nothing can stop all my skin issues (mainly and lately hard bumps and whiteheads) but I've certainly had things make them worse. A few years to a few months ago my skin was all kinds of hell. Like, so bad I wouldn't leave the house, so considering that:

I really like this even though it's not a miracle, it's pretty close considering how many other products I've used that were either horrible or just missed the mark a little bit. Others that have been ok are not worth the price tags they come with when they are only just 'ok'. This is affordable, not drying (at ALL), not irritating (AT ALL!), and I think mildly helpful. For my skin, that's saying a lot!!

I love the smell of this, I get whiffs of it during the day even though it's not super strong or overly fake. I didn't realize why people said that until I used it for a while. I get it now. It is so fresh smelling and also makes my skin feel fresh. I don't feel filmy or tight like I have with other products.

No, it doesn't get make up off, but how little I've been wearing makeup I don't even care. I have used this morning and evening but have also used the Glycolic cleanser by MB at night, especially on days I wear makeup. I don't think either of those could be as great alone as both are together. I couldn't use the glycolic all the time since I'd probably dry out and over produce oil but using only this alone didn't help attack my bumps. To be fair, nothing really does. They have to either get to the point where they 'fall' out or be extracted gently enough. (That part is hard for me, btw) And maybe a part of my skin problems was recovering from past issues. My hope is that over time, it gets to the point where less bumps are created, less areas are picked at, etc. I haven't gotten cysts since using this, a few pimples but not cysts. I'm not sure if that's from stopping BC pills or just how my skin is, but it's certainly isn't the worst it's been. The days of a painful face are so much less now than they used to be. My skin feels more toned and fresh as well, even though I still have some blemishes.

I tried to add in an enzyme mask (by Freeman). Nope. I can't use anything thick or suffocating and this consistency is just perfect. The bottle is perfect, it comes out just the right amount. It's simple and effective in it's packaging and as a product. I'm going to continue to use this and not expect perfection, but improvement. So far it's the first to do so.

Update: I was in the store and noticed the ingredients list changed, it was a lot longer. I had called the company to ask why they changed them since that will effect a lot of peoples' skin, and they said they just 'repackaged and it should be the same effectiveness'. So I asked on the board and learned that they weren't transparent about their ingredients previously. I found out that they supposedly "didn't change the ingredients" they just are being more honest about it now. Those old ingredients listed on the old bottles apparently were a lie. They did that with practically every product. In a way, that's better than changing the actual formula because at least it won't change how it works for me, but a bit unsettling to learn that they were trying to dupe us.

So the real/new ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, PEG-8, Stearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide, Carica Papaya Fruit Extract, Citrus Grandis Fruit (Grapefruit) Extract, Carbomer, Sodium Chloride, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1), CI 15985 (Yellow 6).

A little scary. So just to be safe I picked up the old one with the old ingredients listed. I REALLY hope its the same inside, because some ingredients on the old label aren't even in this one. If it really is changed, which they won't tell me, I can't be sure I can use the new formula, if it is in fact new. I just wanted to let you guys know. I have a feeling they are just being honest about the contents instead of actually changing them, so the "new" one should be the same thing, but I'm on my first bottle so I can't speak of any difference I've seen. But aside from all that, everything I said in my review is still true. I still think I like this and use it often. I stopped for a few days to see if my skin changes in any way.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by marcy93

The first few weeks of trying out this product was awesome-my skin was visibily more radiant and a lot of my acne scars seemed to have lightened up. But then I noticed that my pores were getting really congested and these tiny flesh-colored bumps were popping up. I continued using this for about a month until I switched to Purpose and, voila, just like that the bumps lessened. It sucks that this cleanser is the culprit because it's so gentle. On the upside, it does gently exfoliate the skin and didn't cause any major breakouts (although it didn't prevent any new ones) but there is something in here that has irritated my skin. Another thing I didn't like all too much were the unnecessary sparkles. Why?!

Also, I have super sensitive and reactive skin so this cleanser should be okay for anyone with the same issues! Such a shame it didn't work out for me.

UPDATE (9/21/14): Oh, man. I have to change the rating from a 3 to a 1. I continued using this cleanser figuring that I could deal with the bumps until I found a new cleanser. It wasn't until the previous night that I realized how weird my skin texture looked and realized that some parts of my cheeks were visibly irritated-almost raw looking. For those of you with sensitive skin, just avoid this altogether.

UPDATE (10/17/14): This is definitely going to be my last update for this product but this cleanser has totally wrecked my skin. Whereas I was previously dealing with light acne scarring when I decided to use this cleanser, it has left me with a ton of scarring thanks to the congested pores turning into whiteheads. It has also left me with a red blotch on my face. After discontinuing use of this cleanser, I stopped breaking out daily. Instead I was left with the aftermath: a ton of clogged pores that have either gone away on their own, turned into a whitehead, or have lingered. No fun. I'm not sure why this product is advertised as being safe to use twice a day-it has literally destroyed my skin! This experience has definitely turned me off to any Mario Badescu products.