January 27, 2015 | 1177 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2015 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Pianistashley

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've only used this diy facial mask once, and my complexion almost instantly brightened. I went from a dull cooper to shiny. I applied it mixed with honey and let it dry for 10-15 minutes. (It was also deep conditioning my hair) Best facial mask ever so far!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2015 10:18:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use a lot of homemade treatments for face, body and hair. Yogurt mask doesn't work for me. I tried it a few times for the past few years. I never had the great results most people rave about. I used different yogurts (brands, fat , no fat) and I am not impressed.
Few days ago, I tried it again because my face looked puffy, congested and tired. I liked the refreshing effect of the cold yogurt out of the fridge but this is all.
Right after I washed it off, my skin glowed and it was hydrated but when it dried, it was blotchy and had dry patches that itch. It even dried my very oily T-Zone but not in a good way- it makes it peel. So even though this should be a mild exfoliant anyway, it dries my skin too much. Well, at least it is very good for my stomach.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by pearlyriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

The yogurt can be used alone or customized with other ingredients depending on your purpose:
- ground oat to make the mask stick and reduce oiliness
-honey or mashed banana to moisturize
-turmeric to brighten and reduce the staining effect
I think this is a great basic, mild exfoliant that is suitable for every skin type. It doesn't dry out your skin like clay mask, it's not abrasive like the lemon juice, sugar or baking soda. For what it's worth, it softens the skin and brightens your complexion a bit. It also works great as a hair mask. I haven't used a physical exfoliant which outdoes the yogurt mask. Please remember that it's neither a substitute for chemical exfoliant nor a cure for acnes.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2014 9:59:00 AM More reviews by acciohashi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I like Greek yoghurt with fruit at the bottom, for eating.

On my face, not as much. If you will use this mask, I recommend getting the plain full fat(beneficial ingredients) yoghurt type without any bits of fruit(too acidic and has inflammatory and sometimes volatile properties) or flavoring(unless it's only pumpkin extract or vanilla or honey, maybe cacao extract).

This has a mild moisturizing feeling that feels good for the drier winter climate. It's hard to keep it on the face without it dripping off, so I recommend mixing it with honey or egg white to help it adhere to skin. It wasn't anything too exciting. I didn't notice any anti-inflammatory properties.

It does not have any water-binding properties.

Now, everyone goes on about lactic acid and AHA. It is true that lactic acid, which is found in dairy products is an AHA.

AHAs in order to exfoliate must have a lower pH than this. The pH of all my yogurts is around 4 to 4.5. The ideal range for exfoliation is 3 to 3.5 and anything over won't exfoliate. A pH lower than that will work but will practically burn off skin. I don't know of any yogurts with a pH of 2, because everyone would be complaining about how their yoghurt burned off their tongues.

Also, the FDA says that all dairy products must have at most a percentage of 1% lactic acid. In order for it to be a water-binding agent, it must be at least 2%. In order for it to exfoliate it must be between 5% and 10%.

As far as brightening and whitening skin, it might be the tiny amount of zinc that leaves a washable tint. It doesn't inhibit excess melanin production, protect from the suns rays, or encourage cell turn-over(since it isn't a chemical exfoliant)

In short, this is not a miracle cure as everyone hypes it up to be.

Personally, my yoghurt eating preferences are ones with fruit in it that contain little to no saturated fat. I don't cook anything that calls for plain yoghurt, but that might change anytime I find a nice recipe on youtube or Pinterest.

Until then, I have no need for the kind of yoghurt that is best for skin and yoghurt doesn't do anything as great as, say, honey, so I won't use it and I won't go out of my way to buy something I won't even eat later. So, for now, I probably won't use it much for DIY beauty.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Clxer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The base of all my masks is :

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

Who is it great for : Those with sensitive, dry or irritated skin. Even for those currently suffering from acne breakouts.

How it works:

Yogurt:

The ability to smooth your skin comes from the naturally derived lactic acid from the yogurt. This is an AHA, a chemical exfoliant, that will slough off the dead skin cells on your skin. This not only smooths your skin but may also reduce appearances of fine lines after repeated usage. The concentration of lactic acid in the yogurt may be milder than what you find in the stores, but unlike those, this will not cause any irritation to your skin. I talked all about such AHA's in my Clear Skin & Anti-aging: Exfoiation Is Key (AHAs).
Yogurt is also a mild bleaching agent. It has the ability to give you a more even complexion and also help to reduce those suffering from redness on your skin or on your pimples. This is also great if you're trying to whiten your skin, especially if you're a fan of the Korean porcelain skin.

Yogurt itself is also very moisturising. Yet what many are unaware of is the Zinc in the yogurt. It is anti-inflammatory, accelerates skin cell renewal and is even said to regulate sebum production.

To read on about how oatmeal benefits the skin and how I customise this mask to cater to my skin's needs with tumeric, honey, coffee or lemon read :

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by fleurverte000

Awesome product! It helps my acne prone skin and acne marks as well. Deff give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by stellabell

Love this. I do it once or twice a week. I use Kefir actually bc that's what I tend to have around. I also figure the fruit enzymes can only help!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by Babsfree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Judging by all my reviews, it seems I'm a hard to please person. I know I am. I tried this mask on the hopes that it would help my acne, that it would help to calm it down. It didn't really help at all but I only tried it once and won't be trying it again because 2 days later I had broken out in a few areas on my face but nothing too severe like the deep ones I get every now and then. I'm acne prone to begin with so this may or may not have been the culprit for my minor breakout but I'm not one who is willing to chance it.
When I applied this, using Fage brand whole Greek yogurt, it gave me this very cooling feeling on my face, which I loved but that is the only positive thing I can say about this. I used plain Greek yogurt with no other additives like honey or whatever else people seem to add. After a bit my face started to get a slight burning feeling to it. The yogurt dried quick and I left it on for 10-15 mins then rinsed it off gently in the shower. Once it was rinsed off my face was slightly red but had a slight glow to it which was nice, the next day my face was slightly dry which I loved considering my face gets uncomfortably oily. But then I started to break out and the only thing I could think of was that this yogurt mask was the culprit. I just started using some more serious stuff to help my acne.
I'm just saying screw it to all these stupid DIY/homeopathic crap that people seem to think works. It's time to bring in the big guns like glycolic acid peels and mandelic acid toner and TCA peels for my acne.
If you're acne prone try swatching this a few days in advance prior to using this on your entire face, swatch it on an area that you know is acne prone (chin, forehead, etc.) and leeave on for 10 mins, rinse gently and wait 2-3 days to see how your skin reacts to this. It's better to get a few blemishes on a small part of your face instead of having a huge breakout over the entirety of your face.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by ila88

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

OMG my family swears by using yogurt mask!!!Just plain yogurt mask, any type; low-fat, non-fat, Greek etc.

I use it almost every night after cleansing my face, leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash it off. After that I put on serum and/or moisturizer as usual. I've read somewhere that yogurt can be used to replace your regular toner as long as you don't leave it too long and use it once daily (AND as long as your skin is not sensitive). I choose to use it at night. My skin is brighter, my acne and acne scars reduced significantly. Bottom line is my skin looks so much better! The most important thing here is be consistent when using yogurt mask.

Before using yogurt mask, I've used so many commercial masks but now, I've used only yogurt mask. It is THAT good.

This is one of the beauty tips that I definitely pass to my daughter :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2014 7:53:00 PM More reviews by koihimi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Severly dehydrated sensitive combination to oily skin. I use natural (no peservatives, sugars, colors, etc) fat free youghurt mask. It's high in lactic acid and I make sure that I use as much as I can of that whey liquid as I know that it's that liquid that does the most of the job in this mask. When I wash it off my skin is calm, pumped and silky. What else can I ask for.

For dry skin I'd recommend using fat youghurt or add vegetable oil. For mature adding honey would also be beneficial along with oils.