Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I can safely say that Coconut Oil is my new obsession! I buy organic, virgin, cold pressed coconut oil from the organic foods store and scoop some to keep in a pretty decorative glass jar with screw lid in my bathroom.

Alright, enough with the rambling. What do I use it for and how it performs?

1. For hair of course.

I section them while dry - prefer it that way since water and oil don't mix -, coat with the oil while combing, twist in a bun and let them be for at least two hours. Then wash 2-3 times and comb again. No need for conditioner because it's a breeze to detangle after this intense lubrication - still love my tangle teezer though. Ah, at this point hair feel super soft which is something I thought wouldn't be possible without silicone loaded products (happy to be wrong this time!) I towel dry them, apply a pea size amount of coconut oil (I have bra strap length hair) and style as usual. I sometimes add a bit more on dry hair as a finishing touch which provides a beautiful glossy finish but mostly if I wear them curly - straight hair can be weightened down and look greasy much easier.

One more thing; Coconut Oil works through penetrating the hair shaft and strengthening it with its proteins. If you already use protein treatments or already have enough protein this might not work for you.

2. Skin

I happily slather it all over - well, except from my face since it's acne prone and I'm a coward. Unless if I want to remove long wearing lip products; just swipe some on the lips with your finger and remove with cotton. On my body I can't get enough of it! It's so easy to control the amount as it's solid and I somehow find the way it melts on the skin deeply relaxing and satisfying. I love the scent of natural fresh raw coconuts, how lovely! It's quite mild though and I can't smell it much after application unless I intentionally sniff close to the skin. It's much easier to absorb than olive oil and leaves the skin super silky. If you still feel the greasiness or overdid it simply apply some body powder - it will absorb the excessive oil and add another layer of velvety smoothness. Just avoid wearing dark clothes right afterwards, you've been warned!

It's even great for rough areas like heels and elbows. You can also shave with it or remove traces of wax from the legs.

You can even make a lovely scrub by melting some oil, add sugar and some vanilla extract which smells divine and is good enough to eat (literally!)

3. Hands

I keep a small jar by the bed and scoop a pea size amount at night to massage my cuticles and rub whatever is left on my hands. My nails are strong and elastic, the skin baby soft and I cringe when I remember the expensive Caudalie hand cream that failed to do anything apart from scenting my hands. I wish I had tried coconut oil much earlier!

I haven't tried oil pulling (can't quite grasp the idea of swishing oil in my mouth for 20' first thing in the morning) or as face care but coconut oil has replaced my hair mask and conditioner (rinsed and leave in), hand creams/cuticle oils, most body scrubs/moisturizers and it's not even expensive. Also don't forget to cook with it too for added tropical taste in your food. Big, big love!

I have been using these for more than a decade even before they were available everywhere. My dad was a vco advocate on his own. He would put it in our smoothies, hair, skin and drink it straight around 2tsps 3x a day. I stopped for a time just because i thought i didn't have time for it. Just a month ago i started to include it in my diet again. It even works better now. I'm using a high quality organic centrifuged VCO. Being in a tropical country, the oil doesn't solidify which i think makes it easier to ingest and use for everything. I find it to be the best kind i have used, not too greasy and light enough to gargle for oil pulling.

I use it every night on cleansed face coupled with a mild lympathic drainage facial massage for about 10 minutes. I put over a steamed towel for 5 minutes. It feels so good and even looks better the next morning. Half a teaspoon is all i always need.

I also take it straight 2tbsps 20 minutes before every meal. It has improved my metabolism and has significantly reduced abdominal fat. Best of all i have renewed energy up until it's time for bed.

In the mornings as soon as i get up i take a spoonful and do oil pulling. I gargle for about 15 minutes, spit it out in disposable cup and brush my teeth as usual. I can say my oral health has never felt better and my teeth is a few shades whiter and maybe even stronger.

I hope to see better results in my overall health in the coming months. In retrospect, i should have continued using this amazing oil. Glad I'm back on it. Remember a little of this product goes a long way. No need to increase dosage in hopes to get better results.

Skin: Other, Olive, Neutral

This is probally the best go to, multi purpose product I have ever loved using. I use it on my hair as a hair treatment to control frizz and if you go outside in the winter it will make your hair stiff because of the way it solidifies under certain temperatures, controls fly aways, good deep post care treatment, essential fat supplement. Be easy because a little goes a long way!!!!!!!!!!! I use it as makeup remover, skin conditioner, and on dry chapped lips. Sometimes I will blend this with other oils that are either to thick to use alone, or thin it out with thinner oils such as passion fruit oil to lighten the viscosity of this oil. This oil absorbs better than EVOO because it much lighter weight and has a better smell even though I use both. If you get the Lorianne refined it will not leave a coconut smell, but I equally enjoy both organic and refined. Coconut oil cost me $3-6 dollars, but it last a long time. Great for sensitive skin types.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used coconut oil on my hair and I didn't like it. It made my hair greasy and didn't do much for softness. It was also quite difficult to wash out. I do like it on my eyelashes though, because it moisturises them well so they don't fall out as often. It's also great as an eye cream. I don't want to use it on the rest of my face because coconut oil clogs the pores a little. So far I have not tried it as a body moisturiser but I will try it and then update my review.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I especially love it on my hands, nails, legs, and feet. It leaves them looking and feeling super healthy and silky smooth. It's such a treat to use. I love how it actually absorbs into my skin instead of just sitting on top of it. It feels light and silky with a yummy scent. I like to apply it after a bath or shower, and also when I'm giving myself a manicure/pedicure.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

For reference, I used the Carrington Farms pure, unrefined, cold pressed, organic, extra virgin coconut oil. I got mine at Walmart, and I prefer it over the Spectrum brand because the Carrington Farms coconut oil smells better, feels creamier, and is not as grainy.

I LOVE coconut oil, but who doesn't these days? I use mine it tons of different ways and I love its versatility.

I originally got this for my hair, overnight coconut oil treatments have really helped my hair grow super long, also I think it helped me retain my keratin treatment in longer too. After washing out the coconut oil (TIP: washing your hair a bunch of times counteracts the effects of the coconut treatment, it just strips any benefits away, conditioning your hair helps get the coconut oil out much more than shampoo- in my experience) my hair feels super soft, silky, and shiny. I also use coconut oil on the last few inches of my hair, fresh out of the shower and still damp. This helps me stretch out trims by hydrating my ends and preventing split ends.

For a post-shave oil, this is amazing! I have sensitive skin and lotions, body butters, and creams irritate my legs. I was using baby oil, but mineral oil is not as beneficial for your skin (research!) and eventually my legs got chapped from using baby oil. I switched to coconut oil and now my legs are super soft and no longer chapped or irritated after a shave! I also use this as a full body moisturizer (avoiding acne prone areas).

I've used it as a make up remover too, but I tend to keep coconut oil off my face since it is comedogenic.

I use coconut oil for everything really, it seems to be the only thing that keeps my skin hydrated after using Retin A. When I hit 30 I decided to strip my skincare down to barely anything and result! I have the best skin I have had in years :-)

I apply this oil straight after I have cleansed with a Clarisonic brush and Dove Beauty Bar (sensitive). I don't use a toner but apply this straight over the top of damp skin, about a teaspoon amount that has been liquified in my hand. I then massage that in for as long as I can stand! I do this morning and night, I apply it to my neck and chest area too.

It just makes my skin really dewy and it stays hydrated for the whole day and make up looks amazing over the top. I've not come across another oil with such hydration staying power as this one and I've tried a few (rosehip, sweet almond etc).

I also use this for eye make up removal, the best! Plus I use it for the ends of my curly hair that tends to be a bit dry.

The big jars can be a bit messy so I decant a small amount into a smaller jar and mix that with a bit of shea butter (shea butter is a bit too greasy on its own for me).

I also put Retin A on after the coconut oil each night and it's an excellent buffer for that. Plus I mix a tiny bit of it with my Roche Posay sunscreen and it makes it easier to apply and looks less chalky.

All in all a winner!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I've been relying so much on makeupalley reviews for literally everything because companies can be so bias! but anyways, I absolutely love coconut oil! I've been using the extra virgin organic one from Whole Food's, but I'm thinking about switching to the Trader Joe's version due to the prices. But other than that, coconut oil is amazing. I didn't take care of my skin at all besides washing it, however, recently I've been washing my face with a washcloth (only at night) and then applying coconut oil (twice a day). Around my nose area usually gets lots of whiteheads and my pores are large around that area, but I've noticed a healthy glow/softness in my skin and there aren't any whiteheads at all! Now, it hasn't done anything to my pores, they're still large but that's okay for now. Coconut oil is life. It's cheap, multi-purposeful, and the best thing ever!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

So Coconut oil has so many uses.. I could write a whole essay on it.. But keeping this short.. There are a few reasons I like using coconut and few that I dont..
1. I love using this oil on my hair atleast once a week it does make it smoother and its good for dry hair though it is greasy requires shampooing twice.. but I dont mind..
2. Heard so much about coconut oil for Keratosis pilaris.. But just DOESNT work for me..
3. I use this oil on dry areas of my body.. Like the elbows, knees.. Dont use it on my face though..
4. Use it remove eye makeup
5. Serves as a good body massaging oil just before a warm bath..

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I don't know what it is about EVCO, but it leaves my hair drier than before use. I tried two different brands and gave it several chances to give me the soft, moisturized others have experienced...with no luck.

I later came across this article online; this woman experienced the same outcome as I had: http://urbanbushbabes.com/coconut-oil-dry-brittle-hair-for-some/

Guess you can't win 'em all!

However, I DID like the Vatika coconut oil blend, which contains a mixture of coconut, amla (gooseberry I believe), and other oils and herbs. If you're looking for an inexpensive, natural deep conditioner and coconut oil didn't work out for you, I'd recommend giving this a shot.