Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 5/5/2015 1:30:00 AM

I use it to remove make up and it works great.
i also use it as an eye cream and face cream and it agrees with my Dry skin.
I used argan oil, olive and rose hip, grape seed but came to concludiin that they make my skin even drier. Coconut oil on the contrary hydrates and nourishes my skin without feeling heavy or tacky.
I have not tried it as a hair conditioner yet but going to soon.Will update on that one too.

on 5/5/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Magic in a bottle ... or tub, lol. I don't even know where to start. I have purchased countless hair products in my pursuit of healthy, beautiful, herbal-essences-commercial hair lol (most of which I have reviewed here on makeupalley). Coconut oil has replaced all of my conditioners (deep conditioners, protein treatments, regular conditioners), and almost all of my hair products (all leave-in conditioners, oils, and styling products except heat protectant). My hair has never felt so good. I am so mad about all of the money I've wasted over the years on hair products ! I've tried everything. You name it, I've tried it. I put coconut oil in my hair before washing, when my hair is dry and dirty. I don't microwave it or anything, just let it melt in my hands. I fully saturate my hair, and clip it up. I leave it in for as long as I can (one hour minimum), and then shampoo it out. That's all I do. I then continue to use coconut oil as a leave in, just a little bit in the ends and through the lengths of my hair. My hair has been through a lot, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover what coconut oil can do for your hair ! My hair has been growing like a weed since I've started this routine, too. My hair has never been shinier, smoother, bouncier, or healthier. Hair products are a complete waste of money. Use this ladies, and I promise you that your hair will feel better than it ever has ! It will probably grow much faster as well, as long as you keep using it as i mentioned. I also use coconut oil to oil pull (swishing around a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, then spitting it out and brushing teeth thoroughly). This has great health benefits, and I highly recommend it :) Just google it for yourself and you'll be amazed at what oil pulling can do for your skin, digestive system, and teeth. It also tastes great ! But I love the taste of coconuts anyway, lol. I will never go back to using conditioner and hair products. Make sure the coconut oil you buy is virgin, organic, and cold-pressed. Personally, I use the naked coconuts brand. My mom uses it as an eye cream as well, and loves it. Total HG, and will continue to buy it forever :) You'd be crazy not to try it ladies ! One of the best beauty decisions I've ever made.

on 5/4/2015 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Using this was a BIG BIG BIG mistake. My face broke out worse than ever before. Literally a hundred new tiny whiteheads everywhere. Forehead, chin, cheeks, neck--everywhere I applied coconut oil. NEVER AGAIN. Its comedogenic, ladies. Unless you have perfect, never-had-a-pimple skin, STAY AWAY. Just a warning to all the girls struggling with their skin out there, there are other oils that will not clog your pores, but coconut oil isn't one of them! I'll stick with argan, thanks.

on 5/1/2015 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I use this on my skin to remove makeup. To those of you who are saying that it broke you out, I do not recommend LEAVING this on your skin. It is a very heavy oil and will clog your pores without a doubt. However, it is amazing at removing makeup; it even removed Benefit's They're Real, which if you have ever used, you will not how hard it is to remove. I go over with my cleanser straight away and it has never broken me out.

This is lovely as a hair mask. Coming from an Asian background, it is common to use oils on your hair. I have been using this since a young age and it has helped the condition of my hair a lot. I am always straightening my hair which has caused it to become quite damaged in the past and coconut oil is probably the only reason I have hair left!

I also mix it with sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence to make a lovely homemade lip scrub!

on 4/29/2015 3:54:00 PM

NOTE*** if you have acne prone skin do NOT put this on your face. Not once...not EVER. It WILL make your skin break out. I used it in the winter (like an idiot) for extra moisture thinking that at 27 my breakouts were finally under control....months later and I swear my skin is still recovering. Hair is a different story. I put this on unwashed, damp hair and sleep in it. The next day I wake up and wash and condition (you'll probably have to shampoo twice to get it all out...or you can leave some in if your hair is extra dry) and my hair shines, feels thicker and more soft. It's GREAT for hair. BAD for facial skin.

To eat? I love it. As a beauty product? No way.

As a hair mask-makes my hair dry.
As a facial moisturizer or make up remover-breakout city.
As a body moisturizer-too greasy, never really absorbs, makes me break out.

I love the smell and I wish it worked for me but alas, wasn't meant to be. Gonna eat it instead :)

Oh and I used the cold pressed, organic kind from Whole Foods.

on 4/26/2015 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love coconut oil for my hair. It keeps it strong and nourished. I use it as a pre-treatment before washing my hair and it helps me detangle, and also eliminates breakage and hair fall. Not only that but it nourishes my scalp.

I used to love using this as a makeup remover, but when used on the eyes it will blur your vision for a little while. If I wasn't acne-prone, this would be a staple in my skincare regimen. It's a lovely oil!

on 4/22/2015 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

You absolutely cannot go wrong with organic all natural virgin coconut oil. No nasty preservatives, perfumes, dyes all the regular stuff you get in everyday moisturisers.
This stuff is amazing, one of the few oil that can actually penetrate the hair shaft and skin.
My hair has went through years of heat damage, style damage and bleaching and as you can imagine it is fried to bits.
Regular applications of this oil give it a bit of LIFE back, it brings back softness and some flexibility - lets remember you cannot cure damaged hair though, but it does make it a little bit more manageable.

I have thin fine hair and yes it looks oily once applied but it keep it tucked away in a bun, takes a good shampooing to get out but the results are very worth it.

Application on my skin leaves it feeling very hydrated - there is no oily feeling like you get with olive oil or the sort. It is a fresh feeling and smell and anyone with sensitive skin can rest assure that it won't irritate because there are no hidden nasties in it.
I am a true believer in natural products are the way to go, there is no miracle ingredient hidden in an expensive bottle thats chemically made, your body is all natural so treat it that way.
You can use this anywhere on the body also.
My sister done the oil pulling where you take a table spoon of this into your mouth for 20 minutes and i can say her teeth are several shades whiter. Best product ever.

on 4/20/2015 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I LOVE coconut oil. It has a variety of uses, and I always depend on it for most of my beauty and skincare needs. After I shower and let my hair slightly air dry, I apply coconut oil to my hair, slowly massage my scalp and then comb through it. Then I braid my hair into 2 separate pieces (if you get what I mean?), and leave it overnight. When I take out the braids in the morning, I take a shower and rinse it out using my shampoo (Nature's Gate). My hair feels softer, silkier, and less frizzy (I live in a very humid place). My hair is quite thick, or maybe there's just a lot of it, and it's very wavy so I find coconut oil to help it the best. I also use it on my face as a moisturizer after I use my african black soap or a all-natural CTM method using honey (cleanser), ACV -with water mixed with it of course- (toner) and coconut oil (moisturizer).

I also sometimes allow steam to open my pores with the coconut oil on my face so it gets in there (as it is also antibacterial) or just apply it after rinsing off my indian healing clay mask. I heard some people get a skin reaction to coconut oil as it is part of a purging process but I never had that- then again I was using natural products about a month before trying this so maybe thats the reason why? Anyways, with any natural product you may find yourself breaking out or other skin reactions because the skin is reacting to a transition/purge. All in all, I will be using coconut oil for years to come!

on 4/18/2015 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This goes into about almost every beauty DIY and the results are amazing.
1. Lip scrub - combine coconut oil, honey and raw sugar. Lips feel soft, plump and removes dry skin.
2. Coffee scrub - combine ground coffee beans, coconut oil, honey, raw sugar, baby oil, extra virgin olive oil and mix to form a paste. Skin feels amazingly smooth!
3. Hair mask - massage into roots and throughout the ends of your hair. Leave in for 30 mins and rinse out. Hair shiny, smooth and is great for dry scalps.
I got the organic coconut oil in jar form from my local Chemist Warehouse for $10. Super affordable and last long.