Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

on 5/19/2015 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Love coconut oil for body moisturizer, lip balm, cooking, putting it on my eyelashes, and using it to make homemade body scrubs. However if you are acne prone I would highly recommend that you never get this stuff anywhere close to your facial skin. I tried for months to get this to work as a makeup remover, a face moisturizer, and even tried to put this is homemade face masks but no matter how I used this on my face it gave me horrible cystic acne. Funny how bodies work. This is a miracle product for everything but the skin on my face. Kinda weird...but if you are like me and you're looking for a great oil for your face I recommend Rosehip oil! I've been using this for about 6 months now and it's truly incredible. My skin is looking beautiful these days, acne and dark spot free!

I still remember the look of horror on my momís face as she watched what was to become my regular beauty routine for years. I asked her to pick me up some unrefined coconut oil from Trader Joes. She was confused because neither of us cook. ďNo, mom, Iím going to rub it all over my face and itís going to make my skin beautiful.Ē This was before expensive beauty oils had hit the market, at this time skin care products were touted as ďoil freeĒ and everyone was really happy about that. Now, coconut oil is like the Windex in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but some people are searching for ways to use up the whole jar (Hi Laura!) so letís talk about some simple uses Iíve picked up over the years for this cheap and awesome oil.

Moisturizer. You can use this stuff everywhere on your body. I really like that I can use it on my lips (with the chemicals in store bought moisturizers I always feel freaked out getting it on my lips). For me, in the wintertime, itís not hydrating enough on its own. For people with normal to combination skin, though, this product can be used year-round. I love to use it on make up free days because it gives my skin a beautiful glow, but it also wears so nicely under makeup. That glow shines through your foundation, so it can make really dull skin look luminous. Also, itís about $7 per jar, which might make it the most inexpensive moisturizer, ever.

Body Scrub. Go wherever your dry goods are stored, grab some salt or sugar, mixed it in with some of this stuff, and you have yourself what may also be the most inexpensive, and hydrating, body scrub ever. If you like a nice scent with your body scrubs (I definitely do) you can mix in peppermint or lavender oil. Iím embarrassed to admit that I once paid about $15 for a scrub at Whole Foods that was basically exactly what I just described.

Lip Balm. I hate the feeling of a petroleum-based balm just sitting on my lips. It feels like theyíre suffocating. If you understand what I mean, keep a small jar of this in your purse. Itís so thin, it sinks into the lips quickly. Just the way I like my balms; hydrating without being invasive.

Makeup Remover. I have yet to find a more gentle makeup remover, especially for the thin skin around your eye. Rub some of this around your eye area then wipe the makeup off with a q-tip and youíll never need to buy Make Up For Everís Sens-Eyes, or any makeup remover, again. This million-uses-in-one product canít be beat for travel.

www.AllTheBestBeauty.com

on 5/18/2015 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I love using coconut oil to remove my makeup extremely easily as well as to deep condition my hair and skin. I rub it all over my skin and through my hair once per month or as needed for deep moisture.

on 5/5/2015 1:30:00 AM

I use it to remove make up and it works great.
i also use it as an eye cream and face cream and it agrees with my Dry skin.
I used argan oil, olive and rose hip, grape seed but came to concludiin that they make my skin even drier. Coconut oil on the contrary hydrates and nourishes my skin without feeling heavy or tacky.
I have not tried it as a hair conditioner yet but going to soon.Will update on that one too.

on 5/5/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Magic in a bottle ... or tub, lol. I don't even know where to start. I have purchased countless hair products in my pursuit of healthy, beautiful, herbal-essences-commercial hair lol (most of which I have reviewed here on makeupalley). Coconut oil has replaced all of my conditioners (deep conditioners, protein treatments, regular conditioners), and almost all of my hair products (all leave-in conditioners, oils, and styling products except heat protectant). My hair has never felt so good. I am so mad about all of the money I've wasted over the years on hair products ! I've tried everything. You name it, I've tried it. I put coconut oil in my hair before washing, when my hair is dry and dirty. I don't microwave it or anything, just let it melt in my hands. I fully saturate my hair, and clip it up. I leave it in for as long as I can (one hour minimum), and then shampoo it out. That's all I do. I then continue to use coconut oil as a leave in, just a little bit in the ends and through the lengths of my hair. My hair has been through a lot, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to discover what coconut oil can do for your hair ! My hair has been growing like a weed since I've started this routine, too. My hair has never been shinier, smoother, bouncier, or healthier. Hair products are a complete waste of money. Use this ladies, and I promise you that your hair will feel better than it ever has ! It will probably grow much faster as well, as long as you keep using it as i mentioned. I also use coconut oil to oil pull (swishing around a tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, then spitting it out and brushing teeth thoroughly). This has great health benefits, and I highly recommend it :) Just google it for yourself and you'll be amazed at what oil pulling can do for your skin, digestive system, and teeth. It also tastes great ! But I love the taste of coconuts anyway, lol. I will never go back to using conditioner and hair products. Make sure the coconut oil you buy is virgin, organic, and cold-pressed. Personally, I use the naked coconuts brand. My mom uses it as an eye cream as well, and loves it. Total HG, and will continue to buy it forever :) You'd be crazy not to try it ladies ! One of the best beauty decisions I've ever made.

on 5/4/2015 1:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Using this was a BIG BIG BIG mistake. My face broke out worse than ever before. Literally a hundred new tiny whiteheads everywhere. Forehead, chin, cheeks, neck--everywhere I applied coconut oil. NEVER AGAIN. Its comedogenic, ladies. Unless you have perfect, never-had-a-pimple skin, STAY AWAY. Just a warning to all the girls struggling with their skin out there, there are other oils that will not clog your pores, but coconut oil isn't one of them! I'll stick with argan, thanks.

on 5/1/2015 3:08:00 PM

I use this on my skin to remove makeup. To those of you who are saying that it broke you out, I do not recommend LEAVING this on your skin. It is a very heavy oil and will clog your pores without a doubt. However, it is amazing at removing makeup; it even removed Benefit's They're Real, which if you have ever used, you will not how hard it is to remove. I go over with my cleanser straight away and it has never broken me out.

This is lovely as a hair mask. Coming from an Asian background, it is common to use oils on your hair. I have been using this since a young age and it has helped the condition of my hair a lot. I am always straightening my hair which has caused it to become quite damaged in the past and coconut oil is probably the only reason I have hair left!

I also mix it with sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence to make a lovely homemade lip scrub!

on 4/29/2015 3:54:00 PM

NOTE*** if you have acne prone skin do NOT put this on your face. Not once...not EVER. It WILL make your skin break out. I used it in the winter (like an idiot) for extra moisture thinking that at 27 my breakouts were finally under control....months later and I swear my skin is still recovering. Hair is a different story. I put this on unwashed, damp hair and sleep in it. The next day I wake up and wash and condition (you'll probably have to shampoo twice to get it all out...or you can leave some in if your hair is extra dry) and my hair shines, feels thicker and more soft. It's GREAT for hair. BAD for facial skin.

To eat? I love it. As a beauty product? No way.

As a hair mask-makes my hair dry.
As a facial moisturizer or make up remover-breakout city.
As a body moisturizer-too greasy, never really absorbs, makes me break out.

I love the smell and I wish it worked for me but alas, wasn't meant to be. Gonna eat it instead :)

Oh and I used the cold pressed, organic kind from Whole Foods.

on 4/26/2015 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love coconut oil for my hair. It keeps it strong and nourished. I use it as a pre-treatment before washing my hair and it helps me detangle, and also eliminates breakage and hair fall. Not only that but it nourishes my scalp.

I used to love using this as a makeup remover, but when used on the eyes it will blur your vision for a little while. If I wasn't acne-prone, this would be a staple in my skincare regimen. It's a lovely oil!