October 20, 2014 | 1329 users online

Lip Treatments - Lansinoh Lanolin

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Cloudwatcher4987

My lips are exposed to the sun and wind often as I am an active motorcycle enthusiast, even with a full face helmet and being in AZ.

This year 2014 my lips were sunburned badly and I suffered for almost 2 weeks solid with dry, swelled, 2 painful areas on my lower lip and 1 on my upper lip. It was just horribly painful and even affected my "sense of taste" as even an allergic reaction.

I tried many OTC products to include even ordering on the internet out of sheer dispair and I was ready to actually make an appt with the doctor. Horrid!

I tried: Stopping using my toothpaste and changed it (that didn't do anything.) Tried Neosporin Lip Health (slathered heavy on @ night) it brought some comfort but did not heal, tried Corti Balm (stung my lips and made them extremely sensitive), tried Blistex (made my lips even more swollen and stung), tried Carmex (same reaction as the Blistex), tried Petroleum Vaseline (did no heal), tried opening up a Vit E capsule (offered some relief temporarily for maybe an hour), tried Olive Oil & Coconut Oil (same as the Vit E, only temporary and lasted only up to 30 mins if that!), then I read the information about using Lansinoh (HPA Lanolin). Went to the local Walmart, bought it, put it on while still parked in the car and almost immeadiately felt a relief, amazing! I used it (only takes a tiny dab) after I was able to eat again and used it prior to going to bed. Within 2 days of regular use, my lips regained a nice pinkish tone, not overly sensitive, swelling gone, not dry and taste returned.

It has now been a month and I still use just a tiny dab during the day and prior to going to bed and my lips are healed, soft, good color, not sensitive to touch. Does not interfer with my wearing a quality lip balm called Palladio Herbal Tinted Lip Balm, apply the Lansinoh first. Works for me. This past lip experience was HORRID!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by scarattina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

2 STARS. Let me explain.

My lips had been chapped for over a year and nothing seemed to work. They got so bad I bought this after trying lots of product including By Terry's Baume de Rose. I actually opened it at the store before buying (sometimes I do this hah), and they were almost fully healed by the time I got home. Miracle right?...not quite.

So I became really obsessed with this stuff the week following thinking it was a miracle moisturizer. I applied it all over my face and mixed into my body creams. I love moisture (also this didn't break me out). Anyway, I noticed my face and everywhere I had applied it were at first instantly soft and supple. However, I noticed my makeup didn't apply nice and fresh with this since my skin actually looked dryish and less dense. Later on my face was showing signs of dryness. And most apparent (after days of slathering on constantly trying to recapture the initial effect) was that my lips had formed a hard outer layer that was sooo dry and tight, it was actually painful. I was peeling them like crazy and they were 100xs worse than before. It is possible I am allergic to this, but I doubt it because I tried this out as a hair mask and it also DRIED out my hair. If I put other Occlusives like Raw Shea etc.. into my hair as a mask I get great results...so I really think there is something wrong with the Lanolin.

Don't despair. my lips are satin and dewy now, and no longer dependent on ANY product!! I never thought I'd get to say that again. What is working? To my surprise it was actually Vaseline that healed my lips. I use the Vaseline brand lip treatment with Cocoa Butter and it gave instant relief but dewy perfect lips came about 3 days after. My lips are now perfect thanks to the cheapest thing...crazy!! Never thought the cheapest thing was the best all along. If you want perfect lips, try the Vaseline (first pick) or the ELF Lip Exfoliator (works like a very expensive prep, my second choice).

This stuff may work if you are only using it minimally, in small amount and not very often. OR possibly if you add an occlusive over it to try to lock in the moisture...Palmers stick would also work. (I also have to say I started getting nauseated by the fact I was putting sheep sebum all over my mouth. I was using a lot of this though, but I became sickened and tried to ignore it while I thought it was "hydrating" me.)

I still gave this product 2 stars because the manufacturers didn't intend this for lip balm! Infact I could imagine it working great as a breast-feeding cream, perhaps it's only intended for that maybe something with the moisture coming from the baby's mouth. I also appreciate that they haven't released this as a lip balm bc they probably are a good ethical company that knows their stuff and doesn't want to mislead consumers that pure lanolin would work for chapped lips.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2014 2:42:00 PM More reviews by isavella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff is the bomb. I developed incredibly dry, chapped, and peeling lips due to a medication I take. It was awful. My lips basically shriveled into raisins and I couldn't wear lipstick or anything for a long time. It sucked.

Needless to say, I tried everything. Nothing worked. Except Lansinoh.

This stuff is legit. I felt my lips begin to heal with the very first use. They plumped back up to their natural shape and rosy color. I'm writing this about a week later and they're 100% back to normal. It's a freaking miracle.

Lansinoh is thick but easy to spread. No discernible smell or taste. Leaves lips glossy, but an attractive, glowy glossy. A light layer works underneath lipstick or gloss, without being too waxy or slippery. I imagine you could use it for a dozen other purposes too. My tube cost $10 at Target, which may seem expensive for a lip balm but my old fave Dr. Hauschka costs about $13 for 0.17 oz. while the Lansinoh tube is 1.41 oz. It will last a LONG time, even with constant (obsessive, lol) reapplication.

100 LIPPIES <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After going through a six month course of a high dose of Accutane, my lips were pretty much ravaged. My bottom lip in particular had a painful deep crack that ran vertically down the center, and nothing seemed to be healing it. I tried Carmex, Chapstick, Blistex, RoC Enydrial, and tons of Aquaphor to no avail. My bottom lip was constantly hurting and it would often be bloody in the morning.

I finally bought two miniature tubes of Lansinoh (one for by my bed and one to keep in my purse) and I swear on my life that my lips began to heal after the first night. I am absolutely astounded at how quickly it worked for me. The deep crack in my bottom lip closed up within three days tops and there's no more pain. If you have severely dry or cracked lips, I highly recommend Lansinoh.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2014 9:32:00 PM More reviews by nata779

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nothing amazing for me. It's not moisturizing enough and just seats on your lips. Not buying for that purpose again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2014 1:58:00 AM More reviews by LPomona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I haven't had chapped lips since I was about 10, and now, suddenly, in the middle of the summer, my lips are chapped like crazy!

First I spread on a double-dose of my ByTerry Baume de Rose at night. This did absolutely nothing, thank you very much, Terry. (I know it's not designed for chapped lips, but I thought it was supposed to be *sort of* healing.) Then I tried A&D ointment, which didn't have much impact. I tried Aquaphor, which was better than A&D, but wasn't curing the chapping completely. So I turned to MUA, my Bible for just about everything. And here is where I read about this product, just 2 days ago. I'd never heard of it, and no longer spend time in the "Baby Needs" section of CVS, so I *never* would've run across it. If you have chapped lips, buy it. End of story.

It is the richest, most soothing potion of life. The tube costs $13, and it will last forever, because it is so concentrated that you just need a speck for your lips. After 24 hours my lips were almost completely better. After 48 hours they're back to normal, but I'm going to continue using this during the day (under lipstick) and at night because it feels so luxurious & makes my lips look moist & lovely.
(No, I would not repurchase Baume de Rose.)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by dragonisdragon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

I highly, highly recommend this product for dry chapped lips. This winter was so sad and dreadful and I was picking at my lips making it worse. I couldn't wear lipstick, balm anything without my lips looking uneven and even prickly looking from all the dry skin.
This (plus finally stopping picking at them) brought my lips back to normal. It's different from a regular gloss in the sense that it is more long lasting and water/wind proof. Very thick and gloopy texture, no smell really.

Thinking of what it is doesn't gross me out at all because well I feel like if it's good enough for a new born baby to ingest I must be safe:) The only issue is it's hard to find in Toronto but I finally found it at a shoppers in mississauga. My friend, when pregnant actually bought this stuff before she gave birth (a bit of a keener) and she has been using it since breastfeeding and she says she loves it but still suffers from chapped nipples. So can't really comment on that but for lips this is perfect.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm surprised everyone is reviewing this for use on the lips. I got a rec from nail board to use this on my dry, cracking, awful cuticles and it's been like some sort of miracle. I can't even tell you what this had done for my hands and cuticles! I also use it on my feet in the winter and the awful dryness and cracking is relieved. Great stuff, though I haven't tried it for lips.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by rachelolio

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is nothing short of a miracle for me, my absolute holy grail lip product.

I've had the world's worst dry lips since I was a teenager, and nothing helped - I tried scrubs, creams, balms, oils, Vaseline, even going totally lip-product free, and nothing improved it, some just made it worse. Basically bits of skin were peeling off my lips every day for ten years, to the point where I have a permanent red scar on my lower lip from it bleeding so many times.

Then within days of using Lansinoh morning and night my lips were soft and smooth and not the slightest bit peely! Yes the texture is very thick and sticky but it's more than worth it for the actual MIRACLE this has performed.

I have to keep using it every night, after a couple of nights without it my lips start to get dry again. I never want to be without this product ever again. This is probably the only product I'll ever say that about!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This one is hard to rate in terms of lippies. It has pros and cons. But bottom line, it works and I have bought it again and again.

I first used this when BFing. Thankfully, never had cracked nips but applied this religiously to avoid that horror.

Aside from BFing, works great on cracked hands or feet. I am plagued with dry skin - especially on my heels. When going to get pedicure, before I take my shoes off I'm like... "I know I'm a challenge. I WILL tip you."

Pros: (1) no stinging on dry or cracked skin, (2) works!!! I've tried EVERYTHING!!! (3) fairly easy to find (4) relatively inexpensive

Cons: (1) THICK!!! I can't even think of any skincare product to compare it to b/c it is so thick. Maybe dried out toothpaste or the dried out bits around the neck of a rubber cement container (now that I think about it the smell is kind of like rubber cement). It does warm up with skin contact. It is HARD to get out of the tube it is so thick. I think a pot or tin would be better. It is such a hastle to use that I often find myself reaching for my Aquaphor or Attrac-tain instead (2) STINKS. I HATE the smell of this product. I would have to be really hard-pressed to apply this to my face or lips. The smell does not dissipate IME. (3) The flip top has broken off almost EVERY tube I've ever purchased. And I've purchased 15-20 tubes (I BF 4 children + my dry "tip required" feet). (4) It stains my socks. I also have a suspicion it "breaks down" the cotton b/c they seem to wear out faster. I have certain socks designated as "lanisoh socks".

So as you can see, it has some VERY strong cons but I still buy it b/c NOTHING has ever worked as well as this product for my dry feet/hands.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No