December 19, 2014 | 827 users online

Skincare - Body - DIY Tea Tree Oil Scalp and Body Treatment

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by AmberSkyz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG. What can I say...this has been a MIRACLE for my skin. My skin decided it was going to have a mid-20s crisis and break out like crazy. I had the worst acne in my life last summer, and nothing seemed to be helping. I even turned to the dermatologist and tried 3 different prescriptions before giving up on them. I honestly tried this as "Hail Mary" attempt after listening to my "natural health" guru friend rave about it. I started mixing a few drops of this to my nighttime moisturizer each evening, and HOLY CRAP what do you know....I've had clear skin for almost a year!

Be careful not to use too much, 2-3 drops mixed with moisturizer or carrier oil is plenty. DON'T apply this by itself as it will dry your skin to the point of burning. I have applied it directly to a pimple without mixing and have had good results, but the skin around the pimple will be dry. Right now I'm just using a Trader Joe's bottle of Tea Tree Oil, but I've used organic versions from my local health store as well. So far, each brand has been equal as far as effectiveness. After wasting so much money on acne treatments, I can't believe such a simple inexpensive cure to my acne was right under my nose this whole time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 3:45:00 PM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my all time life saving product! I have battled with acne on my face for the past year, working in office air, and this product has really cleared it up. I was given benzoyl peroxide by the doctor but it doesn't not have anywhere near the power of tea tree oil. I only came across this product by chance, at a sale, and I wish some one had mentioned it to me a year ago!!! The healing powers of this product should be known to everyone and even taught in school! I use very high-end products (La Prairie, Creme De La Mer and Sisley), this product is worth a lot more to me than any of them. The little bottle will last me for a good two-three years. Totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by jazzybabe7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Every month, around the time that my hormones are raging, I tend to get a single cystic pimple on or around my chin area. If I let it run its course, it's usually dime-sized, very painful, and sticks around for a couple of weeks, since they form so deeply in my skin that it's impossible to pop them. I was about to schedule an appointment with the derm to get a steroid injection since I will be traveling, but decided I would give the tea tree oil a chance. I used 100% oil, without diluting, and rubbed it in before bed time. The next day, I still had the bump, so I thought it wasn't working, but I decided to keep on trying. I rubbed in some more throughout the day, and then again before I went to bed. The following morning, it was significantly smaller! I rubbed it in some more, and by the end of the night it was 99% gone! I rubbed in some more before bed again, and by the next morning, there was no sign of a cystic pimple ever even forming!!! I am absolutely amazed at what a miracle product this is and will continue to use TTO at the first sign of pimples. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by molakip

This review is not for 100% tea tree but diluted tea tree oil. Tea tree oil itself has natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties. Keep in mind that tea tree oil is an essential oil so they're meant to be mixed with a carrier oil such as almond oil (which is what I use but you can also substitute with olive oil). Since they're both oils they mix perfectly so you get a homogeneous solution. I personally use a 1/2 dilution so 50% almond oil and 50% tea tree. In the future (when I can afford it) I hope to mix it in a 33% almond oil, 33% tea tree and 33% vitamin e oil as vitamin E oil is known for reducing scars and fading out any marks on the skin. For the 1/2 dilution...the results? Glowy, smooth and soft skin, no appearance of new blemishes and the fading of old spots left from past blemishes.

For the record, I do not have acne but I have terribly uneven skin and spots from past blemishes that don't seem to fade. That and SUPER sensitive skin. Basically I have to wear foundation if I want to step outside the house looking descent. After using this regime I can go out without foundation because the concoction of oils seems to diffuse the blemishes and gives this wonderful evenness to my skin.

My routine for the past 4 weeks has been to cleanse my skin using Clean and Clear's 3 in 1 cleanser which has terrible reviews on MA but imo contains salicylic acid which in itself is a chemical exfoliator. Because the cleanser provides a nice deep clean my skin becomes dry if I do not immediately moisturize...so what do I do? I moisturize with my oil mixture and skin starts to even out after a couple hours.

Keep in mind that you should only use this oil immediately after cleansing otherwise your face will be an oil slick. Even with this procedure your face will be on the shiny side but in a healthy non-oil slick sort of way. Blot out any excess with a clean tissue and if you find it too oily use it only as a night treatment. OVERALL: I see myself using this years from now, especially in the winter months because of the great results and lack of negative reactions. The only bad side is the price of the tea tree oil. I paid about 15 dollars for a 50mL bottle but considering that I dilute it, and the fact that you only need 3-4 drops for the entire face, I think it's well worth it. Another tip is to use an old cleaned out serum pump so its sanitary and prevents contamination. I use an old ole henrickson vitamin C serum pump which I find perfect! I hope everyone finds tea tree as helpful as it was for moi!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by fourthsangel

My husband had alopecia on his scalp, which means he was losing his hair is patches. We went to the derm and were told the only cure is to have steroid shots inserted into your scalp. OUCH! I knew that tea tree oil is good for fungus, and alopecia is a type of fungus, so we started rubbing it into the bald spots on his head. After a few weeks, his hair came back, and it looks just like normal again now!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2007 10:19:00 AM More reviews by allwedontsay

i bought the 100 percent tea tree oil from rite aid, i think the brand was acu-life. It didnt come with a dropper, which would've been nice but that's my only complaint. i've been using this for spot treatment and also as a toner. i just get a cotton swab wet with a little water, then a tiny bit of tea tree oil and put it all over my face. it really takes away the oil on my skin and makes pores appear smaller, also reduces the redness in my skin. the smell is pretty harsh in the beginning but it goes away within a few minutes, but i've gotten used to it. i'll buy this over and over again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 5:27:00 PM More reviews by staci13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Tea Tree oil.... I was so lucky to have discovered the wonders of this simple product when I was 18 or 19. This truly is my skin care "cure-all" of sorts. There are so many applications for this product but I really only use it regularly for 3 things.

Acne: I use it as a spot treatment. It's great to use overnight, but it's also ok to use before applying makeup (as long as you let it properly dry before applying). I will also occasionally add a drop to my facial moisturizer to hopefully prevent acne.

Razor Bumps: After shaving, I will add a couple drops to a dallop of body lotion or cream and apply to shaved areas.

Dandruff: Occasionally in the winter time I am prone to dandruff, and to keep it at bay I will add a few drops of the tea tree oil to my shampoo in my hand before lathering. I do this a few times a week. Mind you, it does hinder the shampoo from lathering properly, but the idea is to get the oil on your scalp and let it sit for a minute or two.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by shiherostar

So, I used to use Tea Tree oil everyday after cleansing. I wold put a little on a cotton ball, add water and use it all over my face. I was literally blemish free for years!
As I got older, I strayed and tried all different kind of face washes, lotions and potions and now I must come back to this.
So weird too, I was using this stuff about 8 years ago and not everyone seemed to know about it. I am so glad the secret is out. It really does help keep your skin clear.
I can't believe I was spending $30 on cleanser. I think I just need to go back to my old regimen.
I also just heard abut exfoliating gently with Baking Soda. I think I will be going back the the more natural side of things. People used to always tell me that my skin looked great. Now it is just so/so and I am getting older.
Tea tree oil, I am coming back to you.
I also hear it works for dandruff and athletes foot.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2009 4:29:00 AM More reviews by ali_has_curves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd bottle of the Thursday Plantation Tea Tree Oi. 25ml for under 20$ AUD. Heals and dries out pimples quickly. Im lucky enough not to suffer from many spots sometimes hormal/stress related. normally only 1 or 2 at a time, I apply with a cotton pad or bud and let it soak up, easy enough to do for a couple of days. fixed.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 1:32:00 AM More reviews by SheKnowsItAll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

1/2 ounce purchased from MotherNature.com at $5.77 Brand: Tea Tree Therapy. My bottle came with a built in dropper (I've read others that didn't) perfect for dripping it onto a Q-Tip, which is how this should be applied. By the way ladies, PLEASE DONT BUY THE CHEAP WALMART BRAND. No good will come of it and you'll only be disappointed when you do not see any results. Tea Tree Oil is THEE way to spot treat pimples. Two days ago 5 pimples flared their ulgy heads along my chin line. Today, they are gone. This stuff is very drying which is why it is only used to spot treat with a Q-tip. You can apply it as much as you'd like. Actually, the more often you can apply it, the better. It does have a very strong odor but A.) you'll get used to it, expecially knowing the results it provides you'll learn to deal with it and B.) The odor fades within 30 minutes of applying it. Great great stuff ladies! Best part is, its completely natural!