MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

on 8/26/2015 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this foundation for about a week now and so far I like it.
The finish when applied with a brush (i use a buffing brush) is a matte/satin finish. the best way to apply this foundation it apply your moisturiser, leave for 5 mins then apply the foundation. I always set with a powder (rimmel stay matte) and it lasts really well and has really good oil control. I find the foundation absorbs the oil which i love as it makes the foundation go luminous and natural, although after a while, I do powder otherwise the foundation can start to slide.
The coverage is perfect for me, medium but can be sheered out or built up with layers. However if you are going to build up the coverage, i would recommend that you do it in thin layers as thick layers go cakey.
I have found that when it comes to powdering throughout the day, you definitelt need to blot with tissue or papers before reapplying powder as the the foundation goes quite cakey if you dont.
So far, I really like this foundation, but do have a few problems with it.
#1 - the smell - the scent of this foundation smells like paint when applied to the skin but after you work the foundation in and it sets, the smell goes.
#2 - the packaging - although I do love a glass bottle when it comes to foundation (it looks so pretty!) it is heavy and it doesnt come with a pump (i brought one seperately) and if you poor it out of the bottle, you can waste a lot.
#3 - application - the first time I used this I applied it with my fingers, huge mistake! it sat on my skin and completely slid off my face within a few hours. Definitely to be applied with a brush!

I paid £22 for the foundation in the UK and brought the pump at the same time which was £6 so it isn't cheap. Definitely get a sample before you buy the full size product!

on 8/26/2015 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other

Hello,
I bought this foundation after much reviews on ig. And decided I'll try it. I was looking for a matte foundation for very oily skin. That was what I thought I needed. But to my surprise my skin turns out to be oily combo. I have oily areas as well as majority dry spots. So I got this foundation in NC42. I think it's a bit dark. But I make it work. The bottle is okay. You can buy the pump from the MAC store for easier use. I like that with a good primer it will last for a while without touch up. I'm thinking of trying something else. So I'm not sure if I'll repurchase this again. I recommend this to anyone that's looking for medium to full coverage foundation with yellow undertones. And oily skin.

on 8/20/2015 8:54:00 PM

I love this foundation. It's a great coverage and makes my skin look flawless. Before I used this I used the Nars all day luminous weightless foundation. It's £11 cheaper then that and way better. I am shade nc15 and it is a perfect match. I would definitely buy this again. I like to apply it with a damp real techniques sponge, it makes it look a little more natural. I am oily combination and I usually get super oily through the day, not with this foundation though, I do set it with a powder. The only bad thing about this is the smell and it rubs off on my nose through the day. The packaging is nice, but the lid can get very messy.

on 8/19/2015 4:07:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

I really dislike this foundation. It makes me so super oily and oxidizes like crazy. It isnt long wearing at all and feels thick on the face. The coverage is good but that is one of the only nice things about it. If you have oily skin i do not recomend this at all

on 8/18/2015 11:03:00 PM

In my many years of wearing foundation I have to say I have bought this foundation the most. I use to have fairly bad acne and acneprone skin and needed a full coverage foundation. I've used everything from Chanel to Nars to Maybelline and for a full coverage matte foundation and a good price MACs studio fix foundation has it all.

on 8/18/2015 12:39:00 PM

I'm surprise by the low reviews as I am so in love with this foundation!

A friend of mine recommended I try it and I was immediately hooked. It's flawless, matte and lasts all day (and night) and doesn't cause me to break out.

I moisturize, apply the foundation, concealer and MAC studio perfect compact, Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray and I'm all set for work from 8am till 11pm with only blotting my T-zone occasionally (I do not touch up my make up at all!). It's awesome for night out partying as well. My make up stays on from 11pm till 6am with no need for touch up.

I have really oily skin and this foundation really helps with the oil control and keeps me matte all day long.

Not sure if it's the setting spray that kept it on but I do forget to spray at times and it's still the same.

Would definitely get it again!

on 8/14/2015 1:13:00 PM

Love the feel of this foundation, not too thick and it doesn't run down your face. I also like how it gives you a tint of bronze color allowing me to use less bronzer powdeer.

on 8/14/2015 12:37:00 PM

So when I heard Mac came out with shade NW10 I was trilled, finally one pale enough. The formula is great goes on easily, but smells weird, the only problem I have is its not pale enough, so please bring out a NW5, maybe I'm related to casper?

on 8/13/2015 9:26:00 AM

This foundation carries a certain amount of nostalgia for me-- it was my first "high end" foundation- when I decided to take a step up from my revlon CS. The smell is strong but to me it's almost like a drug-- it reminds me of my first hit of "mac" lol.

This is a super thick, super matte foundation that reminded me more of paint than of makeup when I first bought it. I definitely found there was a learning curve to using this stuff. I couldn't effortlessly slap it on my face like I could with CS. With this stuff you apply SMALL dots bc it's pigmented as hell, take a brush and blend blend BLEND!!

This foundation when applied correctly can seriously make me look flawless like no foundation I've ever tried (I've tried into the hundreds). As far as high end foundations run this is one of the least expensive at $27-- so that makes it all the more appealing as it performs PHENOMENALLY for its intents and purposes.

Con:
Since it is so pigmented, the color ranges are not at all forgiving. If you don't have an exact match, this will simply not look right on you. There are no neutral shades, not even a little. The nc are super yellow in tone while the nw are very pink. So if you have more of a beige or neutral cast to your skin, you are SIL. I was once wearing this in nc15 in late November at an apple orchard. Someone snapped a picture of me in natural daylight and omg I dont think I ever wanted to run home and wash my makeup off SO badly. I was straight up yellow. And the incredibly matte finish combined with the harsh dry wind made my face look dry, dehydrated and highlighted EVERY last flaw.

For this reason I switched to Mac matchmaster for fall and winter if I desire a matte foundation. Shade 1 is a more neutral nc15 type of shade. It's actually a perfect match for my dead of winter skintone. Also the finish is a Demi matte- so it keeps my face shine free without look dehydrated and gross.

Hard lesson learned I CANNOT use SFF in colder months-- not only is it too much of a matte finish but the color match is HORRIBLE when it does not match your skin tone like exactly.

Pros:
BUT this foundation is my shining star for the summer. I learned that in summer I basically either want a water thin almost skinlike finish- That will sweat off gracefully as the day wears (MAC face and body). Or I want a bullet proof flawless matte foundation that will hide every dot of sweat and imperfection all day long. That is studio fix.

I have Mediterranean skin so although I am fair and avoid the sun, I magically transform into an nc20 after like the first hot day of the year. I prep with an oil controlling moisturizer, prime with SMASHBOX photo finish, a personal favorite of mine. Then go in with the SFF. I put tiny dots and literally work in sections: chin, extending out to jawline, peripherals of my face. I sort of start outward and work inward bc the inner of my face needs the most coverage so I do that last so I can determine how much I need to build up coverage. My acne scarring doesn't even need concealer when i am done. I take a small dab of PLW concealer in nw20 (I find nc20 gives a highlighted look which I don't like. I want to conceal so I use nw20). I pat this under my eyes. Set with Mac mineralize loose powder and I am flawless for literally an entire day. Running errands in the hot heat with a toddler in tow, I at least *look* like I have everything under control.

The summer heat allows this to blend with my skin flawlessly and my fine lines and pores cease to exist all day long until I wash it off at night.

This truly is magic in a bottle..... But summer only for me!

on 8/13/2015 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm in two minds with this foundation. I absolutely love the look it gives you, it makes your skin appear flawless and it easily blends in your face. However, I have really oily skin (mainly in my T-Zone) and oh my this foundation likes to show it. It makes me literally look like i've rubbed my face in baby oil. I have used many primers, setting sprays and powders however after a few hours (2-3) it just tends to let all my oil show. This is what lets me down about it, other than that the foundation is beautiful and does give you the flawless look. The packaging consists of a 30ml bottle WITHOUT a pump (you have to get this separate) which also lets this product down. Overall, if you have a normal skin tone/dry I recommend this for you, but for us oily girls out there I'm afraid this does nothing for us!