January 28, 2015 | 1415 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Avene - Cicalfate Creme Restauratrice

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 11:47:00 PM More reviews by joanne150406

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cream is pretty fantastic for when my skin is feeling particularly sensitive or aggravated in certain areas. I don't use this for my whole face but only to target certain areas. I first purchased this a few years back when I was getting eczema on my face which was really frustrating. I really didn't want anything with too many chemicals or fragrance because it wasn't making it better. I purchased this after doing a bit of research and it calmed my skin down a lot. As other reviewers have stated it is quite a heavy cream so I wouldn't recommend it for daily use for your whole face, but I feel like it calms my sensitive skin when it is having an outburst.

I have since repurchased a few times and bring it out to use when I am having a bad reaction which isn't too often (either from allergies, eczema, cystic acne, extra dry skin during winter). I prefer not to use my other creams during this time because this is quite a restorative soothing cream and makes a big difference for me. I find that I can even use this cream on top of my foundation (not underneath) in the office when I feel like my skin is drying out so I am quite impressed.

It is quite expensive given it is only a 40ml tube (even though it seems like the cheapest cream in the Avene range) but since I only use it when I am having a bad reaction from my skin I can justify it a bit more. Since I use it sparingly and only when necessary it does go quite a long way.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2015 12:52:00 PM More reviews by ArBell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've repurchased this product so it does work.
My rating is a 3.5.
I use it when I get sunburnt when i'm in my country (tropical island) or when I get wind burnt when i'm in the UK, mostly on my nose, but around my eyebrows as well.
It is definitely restorative and works quite quick. You can re-apply it if you need to, after 3-4 hours for intensive treatment but you really don't need that much because your skin semi-absorbs it and the rest sits on your skin.
To be worn mostly at night or with a little dab on your nose before going out.
Why a 3.5 and not a 4 or 5?
It ruins your foundation (does not blend well with it) and it does not work well with my acne-prone skin. Indeed, I get more pimples and whiteheads from using this product, specially on the nose. I would say you get more whiteheads than pimples though. Still a good product and I would probably keep repurchasing, if not, try the Elizabeth Arden 8hour cream (although i'm not sure if that one would be better on my acne-prone skin).
This is one of the better creams out there as far as acne-prone incidents goes.
I get that pretty cheap where I live (tropical island) so the price is not a problem! Surprisingly it is more expensive in the UK, which is right next to france...

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by karencilla9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have allergies and my nose gets flaky easily so this cream has become my HG to treat my skin when is itchy and raw. This doesn't makes my skin burn at all as La Roche Posay Cicaplast does.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2014 8:20:00 PM More reviews by gnat

My skin gets really dry in the winter and this product gives my skin the moisture it needs without breaking me out. It would probably be a little to heavy for the summer but for now it's great.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by snowprinc3ss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I want to like this cream so much! But Avene has disappointed me once again! I have acne prone skin and I have no need for moisture because my skin is never dry. I got this cream because I got a horrible burn on my abdomen and the on campus physician scared me to buying it. It didn't do anything to my scar and I ended up using it as a night moisturiser in the cold Canadian winters. It didn't break me out and I found it to be very smoothing after heavy acne treatments. But now I found a replacement that is lighter! Aloe Vera gel! So I will not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2014 8:13:00 PM More reviews by nathaliez

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using retin A for a couple weeks and my skin is irritated, it got also quite itchy. I have used Retin A before so I know to expect some irritation.I put Cicalfate every morning and it is like an instant relief!!! My skin feels much better now, I don't get that feeling of burning skin...I will keep using it a bit, as I need it..wonderful product, Avene has a solid reputation, their products just do a fantastic job.. Cicalfate just removed instantly the burning sensation, it made me skin feel refreshed and removed the irritation.. Great stuff!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by TheGingerSnap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This cream really does what it claims. It hydrates scaly irritated areas of skin and aids in quick healing. I use it to help with redness around my nose and on areas where I have scaly dry patches left over from the occasional acne spot.
This is a very thick ointment, so a little goes along way. It doesn't smell of chemicals, which is always nice. Use it 2-3 times a day on problem areas and watch them progressively get better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2014 8:50:00 AM More reviews by Amie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I recently had a massive allergic reaction to some products, and also ended up with a chemical burn from one of them! nothing was helping, I use Avene thermal water which was helping slightly when I sprayed it on, but the peels and scaling and overall rash and burn was hideous. People thought I had a chem peel!

I noticed results immediately, and like other reviewers the flaky skin started to slough off very quickly.

I have continued to use this for the last 4 weeks and I have zero scarring from the deep cracks I had in my skin from the burns and excessive dryness, and everything is nicely moisturised. This is my HG for anything that results in a rash or burn now.

I can see how after a glycolic peel as well it would be very nice is you are slightly sensitive to those.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by kaicg

I suddenly began developing eczema on my face for the first time in my life. It was especially terrible on my eyelids. I tried many different creams but they all burned something terrible and moisturized for all of 5 minutes. I haven't been able to wear makeup for over a week. I didn't want to use cortisone or steroid creams that are generally used for eczema since long term thins the skin, and the eyelids are already so delicate.

I decided to give the Avene cicalfate a try since I had gotten a sample a little while ago. It worked so amazingly! First of all, no pain! While applying it, parts of the dry scaly skin (that has been plaguing me) came off. And through the course of the day the area remained hydrated, and the skin was smoothed. I'm so relieved and thankful to have tried this product.

A warning that it is a very thick product, so use sparingly. If you have very oily acne prone skin I would recommend having a look at La Roche Posay's Cicaplast Baume as well, same idea but a little lighter. Hope this helps! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I think this cream is useful only in a limited range of circumstances. One use that I found particularly helpful was to use this product after laser treatments. This did a good job of moisturizing and soothing. I would not otherwise use this product because I do not think that it would properly care for my skin.

Here are the qualms I have with this product:
First of all, the mineral oil in this product would cause many people to break out. I also think the product is overpriced for the mineral oil content that it displays. Oily-skinned and acne-prone people beware, mineral oil is not your friend. Secondly, if you order this product in the winter, it separates and wastes product when you try to squeeze it out of the tube. All of the water goes around the outside and the "cream" portion floats in the middle. Really annoying and a waste of money, considering the expense of this product.

I would ONLY repurchase this product if I were getting laser treatments done again.