August 27, 2014 | 2016 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Shu Uemura - Eyelash Curler

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by littlemj

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUCEMENT: THE ELF REFILL PADS FIT THE SHU CURLER!

All Asian typical eyeball girls should try the 3: Shiseido, Shu, and Chanel to see what fits best their shape. That said, if you love your Shu and can't be bothered to order another online, you can see how you like the ELF refills in it. I found them less cushion-y the 1x I tried it and since have moved onto Chanel, but for the price point, you might make a concession. :)

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2005 7:30:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I understand some people are dissapointed with this because they expect some kind of miracle after reading all the raves. Well, it is just an eyelash curler. You still have to do your part to get good results. What makes this curler superior to other curlers are; 1) It's designed so that the pressure is evenly distributed to the lashes. 2) It's sure to grab as many of your lashes as possible because of it's shape. 3)The rubberpad is HARD as hell = curl, not weird angles! Anyway, most of the other curlers I have used always made my lashes unevenly curled, lashes sticking out here and there and so on... SHU UEMURA's eyelash curler always manages to make ALMOST all of my lashes fan wonderfully upwards. The results are so much more even and natural. I <3 it!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2011 7:22:00 PM More reviews by kellye17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

First and foremost, perhaps the curve of the Shu Uemura curler is not a good match for some people's eye shapes, but to say that a drugstore brand's eyelash curler is just as good as this one... Come on now. I read one MuA review that stated that the Maybelline one is as good as this, and that was really what provoked me to write this review.

I've only had two eyelash curlers my entire life. A Maybelline one I got when I was 15 and first starting off makeup and this Shu Uemura one I purchased a few years later. The two are absolutely NOT comparable. If the shape of the Maybelline curler is better for your eye, fine, but there is no need to exaggerate that the drugstore one gives as good of a curl with the same amount of ease--because it simply doesn't.

That aside, add me to the list of fans for this curler. My eyelashes aren't stick-straight, but they aren't beautifully curled. They aren't short, but they aren't long. They aren't sparse, but they aren't voluminous. I have very average lashes, but this curler gives the illusion that they're more in under five seconds.

It works very well, but I can't give it five lipsticks. The biggest reason is that Shu Uemura have discontinued selling replacement pads for it, which is--for a lack of a better word--stupid. I don't mind the price tag, since I personally don't think high-end eyelash curlers are that expensive. If they sold a pack of replacement pads for $19, I would pay the money for them, but they don't. You just have to buy another eyelash curler, and that's that. Not only is it wasteful, but the excuse they give for it is absurd. They "need" to be replaced after six months because the hinges stop working properly? Unless you treat yours the same way you would a piece of garbage, I highly doubt the world's most famous eyelash curler would be made with such poor craftsmanship and quality.

If they were to sell replacements pads, I would probably just keep buying them forever. The curler works well enough to where I'm satisfied. However, it is not some miracle product whose effect is unattainable by any other brand. This eyelash curler has made it so that I can't not curl my eyelashes, but it is not so life-changing that I would fly to the moon and back just to get this particular one if mine were ever to break. My life won't end if they discontinue this product. I only have one replacement pad left, and once it's done, I'll be venturing out to see what other curlers are out there. Since they're often compared, I'll probably try Shiseido next.

This is an incredible product, and if you don't mind buying a new one every time the pads wear down, I highly recommend it. However, if you're like me and the lack of replacement pads is somewhat of a deal-breaker, don't bend over backwards just to get your hands on one of these. Perhaps after I've tried other brands, I'll come crawling back, but for now, I just don't think it's so super special that there can't be comparable ones out there.

edit 8/25/2012:
Since writing this review, I have tried two other eyelash curlers by Kevyn Aucoin and Shiseido. Kevyn Aucoin's is very comparable to Shu Uemura's in terms of shape, but for me it worked even better and is available without having to buy it online. However, since you also can't buy separate replacement pads, I went over to Shiseido next. For my eye shape, Shiseido didn't do it for me. The curve is flatter, but what I didn't like is that the structure of the device feels flimsy compared to Shu Uemura and Kevyn Aucoin. Even though I have the same criticism of the Kevyn Aucoin eyelash curler that I have for Shu Uemura, unlike Shu Uemura, the performance cancels out my annoyance of having to buy a new curler every time. I've concluded that the Kevyn Aucoin eyelash curler is my HG. If you don't want to buy Shu Uemura's online, I would highly recommend checking out Kevyn Aucoin. I bought mine at Barney's, but I have also seen it being sold at Nordstrom.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2011 7:38:00 AM More reviews by misskho

i have the shu and the shiseido curlers. the diff between the 2 are as follows
*the shu feel like a tool, sturdy and heavy duty, the shiseido feels lighter and it doesnt feel that it will hurt if u get skin caught in it
*the curve of the shu makes it harder to move along the eye. the shisedo moves more easily
*when pressing down on the curlers shiseido has a greater give
*both curlers give a beautiful curl
*shu gives a quicker curl with minimal effort, u have to work with the shiseido to get what u want
*shu has a flat bottom curve (flatter eyes), shiseido has a rounder consistant curve (better for eye balls)

so.. shu give a fast curl (usually on the first press) but will not fit all eyes comfortably, the ends of the curler dig into my eyes. shiseido is very comfy to use but more effort is required, when im strapped for time i use this one i fear bleeding skin around my eyes :)

i swap between them regulary they both are good in there own way

hope this helps

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by heejoh

It's true what they say, this is the best eyelash curler in the world. Don't accept any substitutes! It's pricey. They don't sell the refill pads, but the Shiseido (if you can find those) refills work perfectly as subs, and now I've just discovered, so do the pads from the $1 ELF curlers (the curler sucks, but just buy it for the 2 pads!!!). It's not cheap but it's well worth the price as other curlers just don't match. Skimp on other things, but not on an eyelash curler! I wouldn't be seen in public without using these on my stick straight short asian lashes. The best I tell you, the best!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2007 6:19:00 PM More reviews by jennstarr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Price: $18

If this curler is the best fit for your eye, then you've hit gold. An actual mold of an eye was used to create the patent pending shape. This said, if your eye is rounder or smaller, then this probably won't be your best bet. However, it does fit majority of eye shapes very comfortably and effectively. The rounded silicone pad gives a nice soft curl to the lashes. It works best if used with gentle, pulsing pressure...not hard crimps. Curl the base, center and ends of lashes, making sure lashes are properly placed before curling.

For the best results, the pad (included) should be changed after roughly 3 months of use. The entire curler should be changed after 6 months. Any curler is a precision instrument, much like a scissors. After regular wear and tear, the alignment changes, affecting the performance. Always make sure there is pad showing on the top and bottom of the curler before curling. A curler that is severely out of alignment or has visible wear (cracking) in the pad will damage your lashes.

Bottom Line: Best curler on the market...if it fits properly and is maintained.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2013 12:22:00 PM More reviews by xshado

I've used different types of eyelash curlers in the past
Shiseido, cheap ones, etc.
When i first used this curler, i was very impressed, with just one curl, my eyelashes looked very curled and full.
I have straight eyelashes, and not too short , not too long.
Personally, the more i curl them the more they curl
I hold for about 5 seconds and then curl them again, at least 2 more times.
The curl doesn't hold for too long though, at least not alone.
The curl holds very well with some mascara.
Overall, i do like this eyelash curler, its no miracle worker but it does get the job done.
It's been the best one i've used so far, I do recommend using some mascara if you want to hold the curl though.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Laurac7

i've just spent a fortune on these! I read so many good reviews so am very :-(((( They pinch the skin and honestly, my ones from the 99p shop are no better or worse!! ie they curl about the same. And the curl factor isn't major. i can't get them far down enough as they pinch.
I'm skint at the moment so could've done without wasting money on these! They were bought as a treat precisely because i've been thru a hard time financially. also you have to buy a BRAND NEW CURLER once one spare refill has run out!!!!! at 19.50, i think not!! This is also VERY VERY un green!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2005 4:14:00 AM More reviews by GacktCamui

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Let me mention the one negative about this eyelash curler before I get to the good stuff - the price! I bought it at Sephora for $16.50, which is 3 to 4 times the price of a regular eyelash curler from the drugstore. BUT, I honestly and fervently think the money was well spent. The packaging is sophisticated and actually reminds me a little of the way Apple packages iPod accessories. The eyelash curler is in a white rectangular box with Japanese instructions on the back and English instructions on either side. On the front, there is a side-view of the actual eyelash curler. The curler comes in a small plastic bag with an extra curling pad. Doesn't look much different from a regular curler from the drugstore, huh?

Hold it up to your eye and give it a gentle squeeze.

The difference is ENORMOUS. It doesn't pinch the delicate skin around your eyes, it gets all the lashes, and it curls to just the right angle.

I'm not sure what it is about the construction and design of the Shu Uemura curler that makes it stand apart from all other eyelash curlers. I've been using it religiously for about one and a half months when I forgot to bring it home for the weekend. In my make-up case, I had my old Lacrosse eyelash curler. I figured, hey, maybe I had imagined the perfection of my Shu Uemura curler after all and Lacrosse was really the same. I picked it up, put it to my eye, gave the same gentle squeeze I use with my SU curler, and immediately teared up. My lashes were hideously uneven and I was in PAIN. It seemed that the Lacrosse version catches my lashes so deeply in the crimping part that my skin gets caught in it also, hence the sharp pain when I squeeze. SU actually fits around my eye and not on or in it to give a nice, almost natural-looking curl - without the pain and the 90-degree-angle lashes.

Lesson learned - I will never stray from my SU curler for the rest of my life.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 11:32:00 PM More reviews by slyhng

I was searching online where can I buy this from where I live... and nowhere can be found. Then I found out Sephora used to sell this.. but apparently they didn't sell Shu Uemura products anymore.. I was so sad. So I was deciding to get the Tarte eyelash curler.. which ran out of stocks at Sephora, then one of the workers there showed me the Shu Uemura eyelash curler.. then I was like shouting the Sephora "OH MY GOD, YOU GUYS DO SELL THIS" hahaha, the employees were laughing and said "of course, it's the best seller, we have to sell this". So I am so happy to get it because it worked so well on my eyelashes. It made my eyelashes stayed up and long all day! It was a bit pricey just for a eyelash curler, but it's really worth it for a long term investment and it also comes with an extra silicon pad!
So in general, it was a great product!