Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

Coconut oil is great on the lips and hair, but usually causes cystic acne if you use it daily on the face. I had to switch to grapeseed oil for cleansing the makeup off of my face.

It's great for a hair moisturizer and heat-protectant though!

Somewhere over the last year I developed KP-kilaris pilaris-chicken skin.
These horrible little bumps on the backs of my arms.
Really it was horrifying. And they were itchy.
Which anyone who has this knows..it only
Makes it worse.
I googled around and found a couple suggestions (one was some 40 dollar in an insultingly small pot thing)
And coconut oil.
Well I had some coconut oil in my pantry.
Let's give it a shot.
A little over a week later and it disappeared.
Completely.
My arms and legs are so soft and there isn't a bump to be found anywhere.
No bumps. Not a one.
I was shocked/amazed/thrilled.
Here is my process if anyone is interested.
I exfoliate (I use a salux cloth but even. Washcloth would be fine. And I only exfoliate about 2-3 times a week. Not every shower)
And then when I turn off the shower I scrape some of this out of the jar (I use a spoon. Because in its solid form it's not soft) rub it between my hands to liquify.
And rub it it.
You don't need a lot.
And it's heavenly awesome perfect holy grail where have you been all my life amazeballs.
SERIOUSLY.
Just try it for two weeks.
Bonus feature I rub it in the ends of hair too.
The only negatives are the having to scape it out of the jar.
And I suppose if you allergic to coconuts/loathe the smell this would not be a win for you.
Which I'm sorry for.
Because it's awesome.

ALSO - It does NOT make you smell like coconuts. I cant tell you why. It just doesn't.
It doesn't smell like much of anything on me after about five minutes. Just in case you were thinking "UMM..no thanks..., I don't really want to smell like suntan oil" you won't.
Or at least I didn't.

(I also somehow managed to report myself three times before I was able to successfully update my review, so if someone is investigating this. That was me, trying to edit the review on the phone..mea culpa)

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Coconut oil and sugar as lip scrub. I have used lip balm and sugar (keep a balm for this purpose -- dip end of a tube of balm in sugar and scrub) but tried mixing coconut oil (it was solid) and sugar together last night in a little container and used a cotton swab to apply --WOW! I can't see how anyone would actually purchase a lip exfoliate when this method works so well and is so cheap.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I use this in my hair to deep condition, style. I use it to moisturize my skin and also take my makeup off.

This is an amazing makeup remover. It's perfect for removing liquid lipsticks as well and it just wipes everything away.

As a deep conditioner it makes my 4c hair soooo soft and shiny.

I use it on my skin and it stays moisturized and shiny through out the day! Love it!

Pros

shine

softness

a little smoother

Protected my ends well.

Cons

created more tangles

had to use it sooner because the results did not last as long but it was only a day sooner.

So i would stick to the original coconut oil this kind doesn't make my hair horrendous but the first kind definitely did better and results lasted longer. This kind makes a little angry because i have naturally curly hair and tangles are something i need to avoid as much as possible. I gave it four lipsticks though because it still did the job..just not as well as the original kind. Hope this review helped.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Backtrack to six months ago: My usually long, luscious eyelashes had become stubbly, brittle and very weak due to stress, harsh wintery conditions and waterproof mascara abuse.

Initially, I intended to purchase castor oil to remedy the situation. I didn't get around to doing that, and because I was desperate to regain my former lash glory, I slathered on the next best thing in my opinion: Coconut oil.

I always have a bottle of trusty coconut oil on hand for conditioning my dry, wavy hair, moisturising my legs after shaving and occasionally for oil cleansing (I prefer sunflower seed oil for my face).

But I digress.

In a coconut shell, just a few drops of this oil applied to my lashes regularly transformed my sad lashes into lashes that are healthy, dark and lengthy. Unfortunately, I don't notice any difference in terms of volume.

Two caveats: Slathering your lashes in coconut oil is potentially milia inducing. I noticed that if I apply this every night, by the end of the week, I gain a few new milia spots. To prevent this from occurring, I apply the coconut oil every other night. This method seems to keep them at bay.

To state the obvious, don't get the oil in your eyes. Your vision will become temporarily blurry and it might sting a bit.

I usually purchase ordinary coconut oil from my Indian grocery store. It's extremely inexpensive, and a 200ml bottle has lasted me six months so far.

All in all, coconut oil is incredibly versatile and I'm sure one could find use for it. I especially adore it for keeping my lashes in tip top condition.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Coconut oil is one of my favorite natural oils. Here are some of my favorite ways to use it:

1. Pre-poo | I slather this on my hair and braid it up or put it in a low bun for a couple of hour or overnight (wrapped in a plastic cap and a scarf). I makes detangling my hair a breeze before shampooing and conditioning my hair. It leaves my hair smoother and more moisturized than when I don't use a pre-poo. I find the longer I leave it in, the better my results.

2. Cooking | Grease pans for baked breads, pancakes, brownies etc.

3. Lotion | Super moisturizing on dry winter skin.

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I don't have anything else to contribute to the list of coconut oil's benefits but I'd like to point out its cons so you know what you're getting.
1. Coconut oil is solid under 24C, which makes it an excellent ingredient to make your own body butter but a PITA for anything else. All those glossy pinterest tips and natural beauty blogs would tell you to use coconut oil for this and that, but what they don't tell you is that it will leave residues on everything it comes into contact with (utensils, clothes) and the worst nightmare is clogged drains.

2. It doesn't absorb as fast as a well-formulated commercial hand cream and body lotion. I've tried coconut oil and Nivea soft creme on my dry hands and the former takes no less than 5 minutes to absorb while the latter absorbs very quickly and instantly moisturize the dry patches. If you don't wait for it to absorb before getting dressed, it will definitely transfer to your clothes. I have an icky feeling every time I see a recommendation of coconut oil, cocoa butter and shea butter as a body lotion. I'm sure it's a well-meaning suggestion and I really love to do that, but I can't be bothered to wait for 5 minutes and removing oily stains from fabrics is such a PITA.

3. It's a good emollient but neither a humectant nor an occlusive. I notice that most hand creams, lip balm and all-purpose creams I love contain glycerin to draw in moisture and petrolatum to prevent moisture loss. Coconut oil is just coconut oil, so please don't expect it to be-all-and-end-all.

4. It's an oil after all so it's quite easy to overapply and end up with greasy hair and skin. I've discovered that the trick is to douse your hair and skin with your favorite toner (rose water, aloe etc) before applying coconut oil so that it's easier to spread and you'll use the glowy, glossy effect for less amount of oil.

That being said, I love coconut oil and use it frequently as a hair treatment and face moisturizer but I I also believe in well-formulated creams which are the results of dozens years of rigorous researching by dedicated chemists and have withstood the test of time. I just hope that everyone will be aware of coconut oil's cons before deciding to buy it. Like every "natural" product out there, it's by no mean a convenient product no matter how organized you are.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use Organic Medium-Refined Coconut Oil from Target. I mix a little of this in with my Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream to tame fly aways while adding extra shine & protein to my color treated a-line bob. Using excess will leave my hair greasy but applying sparingly all over works. I then mix a little bit in with my Honest Company Face+Body Lotion to soothe all over in this harsh Alaska Winter we're experiencing. It soaks in really nice and doesn't stain my clothes or leave my face feeling greasy nor does it give me any acne. It also feels great after using my Clinique Acne Treatment which can be very drying. This brand and these methods of use for coconut oil work wonders for me and I have no desire to change my brand of oil despite people claiming that Organic, Un-Refined and Cold-Pressed is better. I'm still using an all natural product & will most definitely repurchase when my huge jar runs out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've only used it once, last night, and washed it off this morning.
I used it as an overnight mask treatment on my hair. I applied it on midshaft to the ends of my hair and the remaining on my scalp as my scalp is oily. My hair drinks it up. I have chemically dyed hair since I was 14 and had been permed etc, so it's very dry and prone to split ends. I shampooed twice today and it makes my hair soooo soft. I had loads of hair falls though, hence 3 stars. I added a tiny amount on damp hair after washing it. A little goes a long way with this one. It can make your hair greasy, so I applied on the ends.

I dabbed a tiny tiny amount on my forehead and massaged it til it sank in after ACV toner and over my regular moisturizer to help soften tiny fine lines. I'm being very cautious and I'm acne prone/clog prone and this is said to be comedogenic. So far in 2 days, no breakouts but I will update. It's great as a body moisturizer though!! It sinks in quite quickly, not greasy, and not perfumey.

UPDATE 10/12/15: OKAY!!! Now I figure out how to use on hair. Never again on my face thank you (cystic acne after a few weeks and I'm still recovering from it). It tastes good as a lip balm though :P
When I used it as deep conditioning and left it overnight, I think it was too heavy for my hair. I didn't see it helpful after I washed it off with shampoo. Made my hair soft until I shampooed, didn't notice much difference in split ends. I only did this 2-3 times. Now, I use it AFTER I washed and conditioned my hair (on a damped towelled dried hair) and put it on the midshaft to the ends of my hair, concentrating on the ends. I use less than a teaspoon, my hair is waist length. Any more than that, it will become greasy. I don't use it on scalp or near the roots of my hair, not going for a greasy look here because I use it as a leave in conditioner. I found it best paired with ACV rinse (50 ACV:50 water) and sweet almond oil to add shine. I found coconut oil is greasier on the hair. My hair is crazy soft and got shine on it. Yes, it's been chemically dyed and chemically straightened since I was in grade 5. Now I'm 25 years old. After much abuse, my hair ends suffered a lot. I don't straighten it anymore, kinda like it a bit wavy now which is my natural hair but I still have it coloured. But now, >95% no split ends!!! :D

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products