Nivea Nivea Creme

4.2

(European version): Water, Paraffinum Liquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Glycerin, Lanolin Alcohol (Eucerit, TM), Paraffin, Panthenol, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearate, Citric Acid, Magnesium Sulfate, Magnesium Stearate, Parfum, Limonene, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Cinnamyl Alcohol. (U.S. Mexican Version) : Water, Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Glycerine, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Paraffin, Panthenol, Magnesium Sulfate, Decyl Oleate, Octyldodecanol, Aluminum Stearates, Fragrance, Citric Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Methylchloroisothiazoline, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 7/24/2015 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to like Nivea Creme because I have fond memories of the scent - it was the only hand/face/body cream my grandmother used - and I like the retro iconic blue tin.
Sadly that's the only things I like about it. The texture is awfully greasy and just sits on the skin which was rather unpleasant. There are lots of far better products out there and this didn't cut it at all.

on 7/19/2015 4:55:00 AM

I'm going to be a "Negative Nancy" here, but here goes. I was not a big fan of this cream, but my mom used it for so many years. Funny how now she doesn't like it.

First things first, I hate the scent. It's just awful to me. It moisturized my super dry hands a bit, but that faded quickly. I was always left with a film of grease no matter how little I used. I also checked and noticed ours has mineral oil in it, I'm not sure where to get the one made in Germany that does not have mineral oil (check previous reviews if you have no idea what I'm talking about). Lastly, I hate the packaging. It's very unsanitary. It is affordable though, so that is good.

Overall, I don't like mineral oil so I tend to not use products that have it. I don't really like the cream in general, especially because of the scent. I definitely think there are better options out there.

The Nivea creme I use is from Germany - the one for the U.S market uses mineral oil amongst its ingredients, so I thought I'd make this distinction for the review. Doing some digging around, Paula's Choice site has a listing of both formulas:
Also, there is some useful info on this Amazon page on the product (i.e., if the creme is in a plastic tub it's probably made in Mexico for North American market, whereas the metal tin version is from Germany):
Smallflowers has tins of German cream. There might be other distributors, but this is the place I've heard about:

Okay, on with the review, lol. This cream is thick and is a excellent barrier - I use it for hands, elbows and feet (and wear socks), just before bed, it works a treat. I have tried it on my face and didn't have any adverse reaction (it doesn't have any high comedogenic ingredients as far as I can tell), but it's a bit too thick. I probably would use it if I lived in a very wintery place though! I buy it when it goes on sale (so cheap and a 150 ml tin last a while); but even at its regular price, it is good value. I hope this information is useful to you. :)

on 6/26/2015 10:11:00 PM

I use this as my night cream during the winter months (the German one) and while its thick and SUPER greasy, it really gets the job done. Didn't break out my acne-prone oily skin, and when I woke up in the morning, my skin was smooth and plump.

on 6/18/2015 11:04:00 AM

i buy the little blue tub at the dollar store. i keep them everywhere, home, work, purse. for hands,feet, elbows, even my face at night.

on 6/15/2015 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I had dry flaky skin on my toes when I tried this creme for the first time. I like the heavy texture and because my toes were severely dry I usually applied the creme thick every day; morning, throughout the day whenever I felt like to and of course every night. I never noticed how long it took until my skin became smooth again. But I thought it was like in a month or so. Since then this creme became my necessity. Recently I had dry knees due to constant kneeling during my art project, so I applied this creme as frequent as I could. I even have it in my purse. And overtime the dryness is gone. I don't think of any other creme that can top this.

Please pay attention to where this is made. BUY THE GERMAN VERSION.
This is the mainstream sold in England, so do not bother buying it online as they sell it so cheaply at your local drug-store.
If i am desperate for moisture, i will use this on my face, but it is so heavy and will clog my pores if i use this morning and night. Once i am older, i will though.
On the body, it is tough to apply as it is so thick and spreading it is tiresome, but great for circulation/massage. The pay off is gorgeous though, your skin, on your body, will be so well moisturised, so even looking and youthful. On my breasts, i swear it makes them perkier.
Apply to dry skin, it just doesn't work well on damp/wet.
This should be in your beauty cabinet. It out performs its cheap status and makes you glow.

on 5/25/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The creme feels very heavy, and that's way the product is not a 5 out of 5 for me. Besides that it works well, and acts as a great base for my BB cream. (Though I'm using other moisturizers that does the same thing, but without the heavy feeling.)

on 5/25/2015 12:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't want to like this, I usually don't care for things with mineral oil and other petroleum derivatives. For years I've only used oils to moisturize my skin, apart from the random samples of traditional products, most of which I never liked/finished. Alas, I ended up really liking this creme! It has changed the way I feel about mineral oil.
Bear in mind I've only tried it one way, at night, never during the day or under makeup or as a cleanser.

At this point I needed something with more oomph to use at night over my face oils. I'm older and just had a baby; my skin is dehydrated and dry, esp in the morning.
I bought the Mexico version of this on impulse. I add the thinnest layer over my face oils after cleansing at night, paying special attention to the eye area. I actually emulsify with my fingers and mostly pat it in. I use less than a pea sized amount. It's heavy and greasy feeling, but applied with a very light hand, the after-feel lightened and all but disappeared after 15 mins or so. Apparently what I needed was a barrier, which this seems to create. In the morning my skin is less crepey, plumper and softer. I feel like it's boosted and nicely complimented my facial oil routine. (I wash and moisturize with coconut oil infused with carrot seed EO)

These PROs and CONs are completely subjective. I have tolerant, normal to dry skin and I've never had an acne problem. I got no breakouts, irritations, etc from this. But I could totally see how someone with sensitive, oily or acne prone skin could potentially hate this type of creme.
CONs - I don't like the smell and find it to linger. It's heavy and greasy. It lacks skincare ingredients, the formula is ancient. Without knowing for sure, I can see this thick, greasy product just not working for some folks.
PROs - It's cheap and easy to get. As a sealant/night cream it works for me. I enjoy the softness it imparts and my skin looks and feels more hydrated.

There are SO many night creams, so many formulas, it's discouraging. Unless you know you're adverse to an ingredient in this, I highly recommend trying it, esp before spending oodles of money on more expensive products.

AMAZING. I was away for the weekend and had forgotten to pack my usual Pericone 245 day potion and bought a small tub for ...1 at the chemists. Used it and loved the creamy texture, so I researched a bit online and found that Kate Winslet and Joan Collins swear by this humble cream. I know its AMAZING because I've used the most expensive creams and potions in my search for one that will calm and soothe my mature sensitive skin and this is the one I shall continue with. Its humble little pot disguises a real beauty secret and I will never ever spend a fortune on over hyped creams and potions again.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!