September 18, 2014 | 1840 users online

Top/Base Coats - Nailtek - Foundation II - Ridge-filling

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Anielovi

This applies very easily and becomes sorta gritty so the polish sticks to it very well. Plus it makes my nails feel stronger. For the price, well, I do think it's a little expensive but it has lasted me for well more over four months and I haven't reached half the bottle, take in mind I paint my nails all the time because I like it. I do hope they get formaldehyde out the formula

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by darkenedfoliage

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For how much this costed, I expected better than what I got:

1) the cap would separate from the brush, and I'd have to screw it back on

2) it got goopy quickly

3) it actually made my nail polish get horrible bubbles underneath, and made my nail polish chip the next day

and 4) my nails started peeling very badly.

Sorry, no go for me, especially considering how much I spent on it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by JuniaIris

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I do not understand why this didn't work for me. I have been using it for a few weeks and my nails are more peely than ever. When I have it on with polish and topcoat over it it seems like my nails are a bit stronger but I've had some breakages at the edges of my nails.
Also, the brush is absolute, utter garbage. The brush is not attached to the cap; instead it's attached to a piece of rubber that's jammed into the cap. This piece of rubber has come unattached from the cap and every time I open my bottle I get the cap off but not the actual brush. It's extremely frustrating to have to pull the piece of rubber off and then jam it back into the cap so I can use the stuff.
This product also absolutely reeks. I'm prepared for nail treatments to smell terrible but this is an extra special kind of stink.
I wanted to love this stuff so much, and I'm so disappointed with it. So many other people have gotten such wonderful results from it and it just flopped for me. Unfortunately I wouldn't repurchase this. I'll continue my search for a strengthening base coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2012 8:26:00 AM More reviews by samsungasong

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

So far so good, I think it’s difficult to really tell if ridge filler works or not unless you have fair quality varnish & topcoat to go with it. There's no cracking or peeling, dries quickly & fills in the ridges to create a flat surface. Will purchase again & will update with longer use.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 9:21:00 AM More reviews by cleogirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This has been my HG base coat for 2 + years. I purchase mine from a seller on Ebay and usually buy 2 at a time. When you apply this, it dries to a chalky, gritty consistency and really helps your polish grip onto the nail. It dries very quickly and I'm able to start applying my polish immediately after putting this as a base. Overall, my nails have been strong with no peeling and while I'm not sure if it's due to using this product, keeping my cuticles conditions or the nail file I use, I'm not willing to risk finding out!
Just a note that as you get down to the bottom of the bottle, the product tends to cake up on the rim of the bottle and you need to use polish remover to wipe it off, otherwise the chunks will get into the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Fiammetta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Well, looks like I've found a new holy grail. It doesn't work miracles; I work my nails hard, given my job (staff RN, dozens and dozens of handwashings in a 12-hr shift). But this has, over the past few manicures, given me about 2-3 extra days of wear. After a few days there's some tip wear, but none of that big chipping (or worse, peeling) that kept me doing my nails 2+ times a week.

When you apply it, it does seem to fill ridges and strengthen the actual nail somewhat, but the best thing about it is that it does seem to give colored polish something to grip. The "other stickier" basecoats didn't noticeably do that, for me. For the money, this is definitely going to become a staple for me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by josieflo

I ordered this on Amazon for under six dollars. I didn't know it had formaldehyde in it so I kinda regret buying it. I just decided to try it out since I got it already, but I couldn't help but breath, and I felt nauseous. It has a nice application and dries fast. I am usually a nail biter or I pick at my nail polish if I don't like it, but because it contained formaldehyde, I restrained myself from doing that. After a couple of days, I noticed that my nails grew significantly stronger and longer and started to create a nice shape. Although I got nice results from this, I do not want to risk my health by using this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Shaz809

Holy Grail nail product for me. After years of buffing my nails i got sick of them splitting so decided to look up MUA for another option. Bought this from Ebay based on the good reviews....so glad I did. Use it on my toenails aswell, I however still have to buff my toenails a bit because I have VERY deep horizontal ridges. For my nails though, no buffing needed, it dries very fast so I am saving time. Like the reviews below it dries to a milky white matte finish so I am convinced this helps to enhance the colour especially pale sheer colours. I used Revlons Lilac Pastelle (which I had given up on because of its difficult application - I actually have a review on this) with this base and it went on smoothly. Would definately buy again x.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Ancora

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

After doing a bit of research online for a new basecoat for my soft nails, this is what I ended up with. My nails were in terrible shape, for some reason, never getting a chance to grow long before cracking and splintering. I didn't, and still don't, have a problem with ridged nails, but that doesn't matter; I will never, ever want another base polish because of what this product has done for my nails! HG status for sure.

I now have no problems whatsoever growing them as long as I want them, and despite being a lot harder than before, they don't seem brittle at all.

This is exactly what I wanted, and exactly what I got. It won't work for everyone, but if you are experiencing the same problems I had, do give it a try. I get mine from eBay cheaply.
As a basecoat, it performs well, in my opinion. I use Sèche Vite on top of the lacquer, and the end result doesn't chip or release from the nail, which I previously had a problem with. It also dries really fast.

The only problem is that you will want to use some thinner for the last 20-25% in the bottle to improve the consistency.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by takemenow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a great base coat. But... I suspect that it has caused me an unsightly case of the peelies. I bought this in November and had been using it for about a month with great results until nearly all my nails started peeling pretty badly.
I do everything I can to prevent peeling and make sure I seal the free edge of the nail every time I file so I know that it's not from filing incorrectly. The only other thing it could be is this stuff, which coincidentally has been accused of causing peelies in the past. However, it does what it says it does and that is form a smooth foundation for nail color application. And as a bonus, prevents chipping!
So if you're looking for a good base coat that doubles as a matte top coat and are daring to see if it will cause damage to your nails, then by all means give it a go. If it turns out to make your nails peel, you can always just use it as a matte TC instead :)