March 1, 2015 | 2015 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2015 4:45:00 AM More reviews by darh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The scent of this perfume just too mature for my liking. If you like fresh floral scents, this is def not for you

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2015 12:22:00 AM More reviews by MrsMustangWriter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2015 11:54:00 PM More reviews by rosen6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This perfume is the sigh of a woman, sexy and relaxed, nonchalantly powerful, all-knowing and in touch with the senses. If you could smell the sound of feminine breath, No. 5 is it.
I need this every day, sprayed onto the pillow before bed at the least.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2015 3:28:00 PM More reviews by NoirAngelx

Chanel No. 5 was one of those fragrances that for the longest time, I simultaneously admired and feared. I made it a point for many years to take a whiff of it everytime I passed by the Chanel counter, and each time came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. But once more, I would walk by the Chanel counter weeks or months later, and admire No. 5 in its shining glory.

On my 20th birthday, I received Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere as a gift from my father, which became the bridge that connected my love of No. 5. To me, Eau Premiere was everything that represented what I wanted to be as a newly 20-year-old woman: kind, elegant, worldly, yet independent and strong. Now in my mid-twenties, I found myself craving something a bit richer, bolder than Eau Premiere, and I resolved to try No. 5 once more. That led to my discovery that Chanel No. 5 EDP, EDT, and Parfum is not merely a difference in perfume concentration, but represent completely different time periods and perfumers, and made with different materials.

The Parfum was the original, created by Ernest Beaux in 1921. The Eau de Toilette was created in 1952, by Henri Robert. The Eau de Parfum was created by Jacques Polges in 1986. Only then did I discover it was EDP that really caught my heart, which appeared more creamy, luscious, and rounded than the EDT or the Parfum.

Based on my explorations online, No. 5 purists tend to favor the EDT and Parfum, for it remains closest to the original concoction from Ernest Beaux. I myself have found that to be case, for the EDT and the Parfum amplify the aldehydes that give it that vivacious, sparkling quality. The aldehydes are played down in the EDP, and replaced by greater quantities of vanilla and sandalwood. I own both the Parfum and EDP, and while both have a heavenly drydown of vanilla and musk, the aldehydes remain stronger throughout the composition in the Parfum. I love both, but find myself reaching for the EDP the most, as I adore the warmth and elegance of it. I mostly save the Parfum for evenings out or special occasions, as you need a special confidence to wear it. I'm not a fan of the EDT, I find the aldehydes too overpowering in it, and I keep waiting for the warmth of the musk and sandalwood but it pretty much disappears on my skin by that stage.

If you always wanted to like No. 5 but found that it didn't suit you, I recommend trying all the variations if possible. They are very different and each is almost like smelling an entirely different perfume, from different periods. Perhaps it is simply Chanel's clever marketing that has enticed me all these years to love No. 5, using classic icons like Marilyn Monroe to represent the perfume. Either way, I love it and each time I spray it, I feel instantly more glamorous and elegant.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/13/2015 1:36:00 AM More reviews by mimislamb

Horrible, stifling old lady perfume. I feel like I can't breathe when someone is around me who is wearing this!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 12:11:00 PM More reviews by EllaDawn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Chanel No.5 was the very first fragrance that I purchased for myself when I was about 14 yrs old,I'm now 50..I've dabbled in other more trendy fragrances,but they're either to rich smelling or to cheap..I disagree that No 5 is old lady,strong and absolutely not cheap smelling..chemically I can understand at first,this is because it's an Adelhydic fragrance..I receive compliments every time I wear it.My daughter who if 16 loves it,but then again she's never enjoyed Body Splashes or the "Paris Hilton" perfumes...It's an elegant fragrance,drys powdery..It's beautiful!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 2:14:00 PM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Bleaah what the heck did they put in this cr@ppy perfume?? It gives me headaches and nausea. Nothing special about it. Expensive also. Not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by Fogdew

No 5 for me is the epitome of perfection. I cant understand it. Its just so sparkling, so elaborate. It's like the shine of a star, its pure light. I often wonder how the shape of the bottle and the color of it perfectly matches the brilliance of the scent.
No5 makes me feel as if everything is ok, as if theres a good ending to all stories, and nothing can ever go wrong. To me it's how God smells.
I wonder if No5 is like the color white, like when you put together all colors, you get white. Maybe if I put together all my favorite smells of the world, it will smell of No5. Only No5 is not white, it's gold, which is the perfect combination to white.
My only problem with it is that it lasts nothing on my skin (review for the edt). I'm trying to solve this by byuing the parfum, if everything goes right I'll have miser 7,5 mL by the end of the year, for Christmas. I'll come back and write about it later! Hope my sister gets it wrong and buys the 30mL.
Update xmas:
My sister brought me the edp instead of the parfum but I don't care, it's marvellous! Its a lot less aldehydic and I get more of flowers than the famous aldehydes but it's still characteristically God's smell. The problem of it not staying on my skin was not solved by it being a stronger concentration though, but at least I got a bigger bottle now. But seriously, it lasts about 2 hours top on me, and the edt abot 1 hour. Sad. But my skin is worldwide famous (yes I'm very famous😃) for making perfumes evaporate. Well, some can sing, some can dance...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 1:30:00 PM More reviews by reeny417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It took me years to purchase and appreciate this wonderful fragrance. I started sampling No 5 in my early thirties, and it wasn't until 34 that I really started to appreciate this. I never thought that this ever smelled old lady, but I could see how it might be too "mature" smelling for some, or possibly outdated. I do think that my body chemistry and tastes have changed, because anything marketed to 20 somethings or even early 30 somethings does nothing for me anymore, or just smells "off" when I'm wearing it. Even the younger Chanel fragrances like Coco Mademoiselle and Chance are too "young" smelling for me.

I recently stopped wearing any modern fragrances for several reasons. First, longevity is terrible for most fragrances made within the last ten to fifteen years. Second, many of the modern ones are all too common smelling. Thirdly, the classics became classics for a reason. They really do have a timeless appeal to them.

Back to No 5, I wear the EDP. I haven't tried the EDT yet. The EDP is a complex, sophisticated, luxurious smelling perfume on me. This smells powdery on me, but also has other notes to balance it out. It doesn't smell like one note more than another--the formula blends perfectly. This is pure class, elegance, sophistication. I do use a light hand when spraying this, just so it wears close to me, so I'm able to pull this off as an office perfume. I can see how over spraying any perfume just ruins it. Less is more with this one. It's pricey, but a little goes a long way and I probably end up spending less money being that I don't have to use a lot.

Falling in love with No 5.....

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2014 12:25:00 PM More reviews by 860Diamond

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I need to make something very clear. Unlike most fragrances that only vary the strength between the Eau de Parfum and Eau de Toilette, Chanel actually varies the notes in each strength. The Eau de Toilette version is a much sharper and harsher version. The Eau de Parfum is a much softer and more well rounded fragrance. It is absolutely lovely. That being said, it is definitely a fragrance for a women over 35. It doesn't smell old lady but it is very much a mature scent and I don't think it would work right on an 18 year old woman.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No