Chanel No.5

3.5

on 4/24/2015 9:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

The thing with Chanel No 5 is that it really is acquired taste, especially on our time when the sweetest the fragrance the most acceptable from the general population.

There is also much talk about how reformulations ruined the once glorious No 5 so I got a vintage splash bottle of Eau de Cologne recently waiting for some kind of revelation like the one I had after experiencing both vintage Samsara and the current one. The opening is holy aldehydes galore and with prominent lemon and bergamot. As it evolves on the skin it becomes more powdery but not overpowering and I can't pinpoint certain notes but it never really warms up before fading.

That said, I appreciate it as piece of history since Chanel No 5 was something really novel for the time but I'm mainly an oriental lover and it feels totally out of place on my skin. Sadly we're not meant to be. Le sigh...

on 3/19/2015 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This was first given to me by a friend someone gave her but the smell was too strong for her and she kept sneezing she said she felt like she couldn't breathe whatever. Anyways I'm really indifferent about this fragrance I don't love it I don't hate it. But I do prefer Coco mademoiselle

on 3/11/2015 12:24:00 PM

This perfume should be named "essence of grandma". It smells old and powdery. Simply horrific!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

(Sorry for my bad english, I'm working on it.) I can't give it one lippie. I just can't. It's a quality product: lasts a lot, has good aura, it's powerful. But it's just too much for me. It gives me nausea and headaches. I can't even stay in the same room when someone is wearing it. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate later in my life (tastes evolve with time) but right now is the antichrist in a bottle for me.

on 3/2/2015 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

I always love having a bottle this in the Parum Spray. However, the No. 5 body crème is unbelievable! Just a teeny, tiny dab give fabulous fragrance. My husband loves this. I put a very small amount on a week and two days ago and my after-bath sweats still smell No. 5.

on 3/2/2015 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

if you are under 30 it may be too mature for you just like Chanel fashion is. It's a great classic scent not at all floral-more musky...definitely strong and lasting. I suggest using the bath gels over the stronger perfume. They are decadent and strong but don't leave such a strong scent behind.

on 2/12/2015 4:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The scent of this perfume just too mature for my liking. If you like fresh floral scents, this is def not for you

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

My No. 5 perfume literally spoiled and went sour because I couldn't bear to use it over the course of a few years. What a shame to waste such a pricey bottle of juice. All I can say is I'm one for unique, sexy, and sophisticated fragrances that nobody around me wears or can pinpoint. This one is old lady trapped in a bottle. I don't care if it's Chanel, which I covet. Men hate it and it gives me a headache.

on 1/29/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This perfume is the sigh of a woman, sexy and relaxed, nonchalantly powerful, all-knowing and in touch with the senses. If you could smell the sound of feminine breath, No. 5 is it.
I need this every day, sprayed onto the pillow before bed at the least.

on 1/16/2015 3:28:00 PM

Chanel No. 5 was one of those fragrances that for the longest time, I simultaneously admired and feared. I made it a point for many years to take a whiff of it everytime I passed by the Chanel counter, and each time came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. But once more, I would walk by the Chanel counter weeks or months later, and admire No. 5 in its shining glory.

On my 20th birthday, I received Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere as a gift from my father, which became the bridge that connected my love of No. 5. To me, Eau Premiere was everything that represented what I wanted to be as a newly 20-year-old woman: kind, elegant, worldly, yet independent and strong. Now in my mid-twenties, I found myself craving something a bit richer, bolder than Eau Premiere, and I resolved to try No. 5 once more. That led to my discovery that Chanel No. 5 EDP, EDT, and Parfum is not merely a difference in perfume concentration, but represent completely different time periods and perfumers, and made with different materials.

The Parfum was the original, created by Ernest Beaux in 1921. The Eau de Toilette was created in 1952, by Henri Robert. The Eau de Parfum was created by Jacques Polges in 1986. Only then did I discover it was EDP that really caught my heart, which appeared more creamy, luscious, and rounded than the EDT or the Parfum.

Based on my explorations online, No. 5 purists tend to favor the EDT and Parfum, for it remains closest to the original concoction from Ernest Beaux. I myself have found that to be case, for the EDT and the Parfum amplify the aldehydes that give it that vivacious, sparkling quality. The aldehydes are played down in the EDP, and replaced by greater quantities of vanilla and sandalwood. I own both the Parfum and EDP, and while both have a heavenly drydown of vanilla and musk, the aldehydes remain stronger throughout the composition in the Parfum. I love both, but find myself reaching for the EDP the most, as I adore the warmth and elegance of it. I mostly save the Parfum for evenings out or special occasions, as you need a special confidence to wear it. I'm not a fan of the EDT, I find the aldehydes too overpowering in it, and I keep waiting for the warmth of the musk and sandalwood but it pretty much disappears on my skin by that stage.

If you always wanted to like No. 5 but found that it didn't suit you, I recommend trying all the variations if possible. They are very different and each is almost like smelling an entirely different perfume, from different periods. Perhaps it is simply Chanel's clever marketing that has enticed me all these years to love No. 5, using classic icons like Marilyn Monroe to represent the perfume. Either way, I love it and each time I spray it, I feel instantly more glamorous and elegant.

Popular Fragrances