October 2, 2014 | 1730 users online

Treatments - Creative Nail Design - Solar Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2014 12:01:00 AM More reviews by drawingasquare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I received this as part of a gift awhile ago and just recently got around to using it. Initially, I honestly had no idea what it was, so I had to look it up on the manufacturer web site. It's a couple of different oils and other products that are intended to condition the nails and cuticles. I had heard via some more Googling that it can be used if you're wearing nail polish and that it will in fact improve the wear of your polish. I decided to put it to the test, although I didn't expect much.

Thankfully, I can admit when I'm wrong -- this stuff is great, and after a week of using it, I already don't know what I'd do without it. The condition of my nails has improved a great deal. They're stronger and healthier-looking, and my nail polish does in fact wear much better than it did before. Days after applying, I have very minimal tip wear, where before chunks of polish would peel off my nails.

I've just been sweeping Solar Oil over my nails and cuticles and under the tips of my nails before bed, when I do my usual application of hand cream and moisturizers. Then I rub it in to my nails and cuticles. I also dabbed this onto my cuticles today before pushing them back when I gave myself a manicure, and it worked pretty well for that purpose as well. I'm ultimately very happy that I stumbled onto this product and will definitely repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/25/2014 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Wifeandmama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this stuff years ago and thought it was perfect. Lately I've been working hard at trying to keep my nails looking better, so I purchased it again. No. No. No.

It's gotten expensive ($7.50 for .75 ml at Ulta), the bottle is smaller, and it just doesn't do the trick for me anymore. Honestly, I had been using a Sephora cuticle oil in a little squeezy tube (that they have now d/c), and then a Sally Hansen twist-up tube (Maximum Growth Cuticle Pen), and sometimes plain old Vaseline. Truly, all three work better than Solar Oil at keeping my cuticles smooth. (I really think I'm going to buy another tube of the SH stuff, my nails have been growing like crazy! I don't really want them long, but it seems to have worked wonders.)

I've put this stuff on at night, religiously, since I bought it, and massage it in. Every single morning, my cuticles look dry and raggedy. I am really disappointed.

On the up-side, it smells deliciously of sweet almond oil. That's a plus, but for dry, icky cuticles, I can use something else that will actually work.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Burma76

I love this oil, I don't love the price! All the ingredients are readily available (sweet almond, jojoba, rice bran and vit E oils) which you can mix for a tiny fraction of the price. I've done this with great success. Anyway it works very well to soften the cuticles and keep the nail plate flexible. My nails are too thin to grow without any help but I can imagine that for many this oil would be sufficient to keep your nails strong. A nail tech advised me to use this over polish, gel polish, hard gels and even acrylics. Apparently they are all slightly porous and oil helps keep them from drying out and cracking which prolongs your mani. It's the jojoba oil that is really important as its molecular structure is the smallest. Apparently with regular use this can even penetrate to the nail plate through your enhancement. I recommend it but won't repurchase - I'll keep making my own!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by heva11

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have purchased 3 of the CND vinylux range now, and really love the formula! I had heard a lot about 'Solar Oil' and that it was great for your cuticles, so when I saw it during my latest OPI haul, I snapped it up.

I was surprised that it was so expensive: $15 for a 15ml bottle (size of their regular polishes). The box was beautiful, but I was surprised upon opening it, that the bottle, was exactly the same as CND's polishes, with brush and all.

When attempting to use this oil, I found the packaging to be very annoying, as the last thing you want is to be grappling with a little bottle of oil when your fingers are all slippy.

The oil itself has a pleasant subtle smell of sweet almond (which I love!) I wish the scent was slightly stronger and lasted longer however. The consistency of the oil was probably my fave thing, as it was not overly oily and soaked into my nail beds relatively quickly....

Saying that however, I did not feel that this oil actually nourished my nails enough, and would find myself putting additional cream on my nails throughout the day.

I have used this product every day for over a week now, and honestly.... I believe it is a waste of money :(

You can check out swatches for my CND purchases @hj_nails on Instagram.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by BrightWhiteHeart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely love this product. I do my own gel manicures and this finishes it just like in the nail salons. It's never been greasy or oily. Absorbs fast but still moisturizes my cuticles better than any other oil.

The Butter London representative at ULTA had me try their brand and I was NOT impressed. She claimed it was better than CNDs because it's made with coconut oil instead of almond oil -- her story was that the CND solar oil went bad in her car because it has a lower boiling point. So maybe don't leave it in your car during hot summer days? Hasn't been a problem for me.

I've bought this product as a gift too. Will probably buy more just so I have a backup. It's my go to cuticle oil!(:

For my purse though, I really like The Body Shop's 'Almond Nail and Cuticle Oil'. It's got a turn-click dispensing stick, so you don't have to worry about it getting all over. AND it makes my nails/cuticles feel wonderful! One of my colleagues suggested I try it (we nurses really beat up our hands!) and I make sure to ALWAYS have it in my work bag.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2014 6:56:00 PM More reviews by coursey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

so far I've used this 2-3 times a week. It does seem to moisturize my cuticles fairly enough. also it does dry a little faster than some of the other cheaper oils I've used. smells mainly of almond.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by jenikeni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff has saved my nails! I try to aim for applying it 2x/day but only end up remembering 1x/day to every other day average. This stuff drys nail polish fast too like the expensive opi accelerating drops or sprays but I get a teeny bottle of this for $2! Just add a drop at base of nails by cuticle and let it run along the side about 5min after painting your nails. I also have noticed that I never get hangnails anymore so its even got long term benefits. My nails used to peel back at the tips, crack at the sides and my cuticle would look ragged. I religiously use thick oil based lotions so this one has all of those oils that all the other brands are bragging about as their main ingredients but I've been researching it and some don't work with out the others since their too small to actually penetrate the nail plate and this product has all of them in one! They deserve to brag about it but don't since its been around for so long. I cant live without it and it works no matter how irregularly I use it. Results were seen after maybe about a week of using it. I dont have to clip cuticle ever again either. It definately helps with all the trauma of all the chemicals in nail polish remover etc from affecting your nails. My whole familys nails are thin i guess its genetics and this stuff beats it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by GreenFruit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

this smells so good that i had to taste it. not bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by trixie1803

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first got gel nails done, the woman suggested I get Solar oil and use it religiously. I have problems with overgrown and dry cuticles also-solar oil has taken all of that away. I use this everyday, several times a day. This stuff really works. I find it cost effective to go online and buy the big 2 oz size. Go out and get this!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2013 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Courtneybrynn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product. It keeps my cuticles moisturized and smooth. It smells amazing and the smell actually makes me want to use it more.

Yes, I do think it is a little overpriced and that there is nothing really 'special' to it - it is just a few different oils mixed together and I could probably whip it up myself at home. Would I want the hassle of mixing it up at home? No way.