November 21, 2014 | 2059 users online

Moisturizers - MAC - Strobe Cream

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2014 6:04:00 PM More reviews by megulianne

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I loved this when I was 24. I mixed it with my Guerlain foundation for a beautiful, glowy effect that got me compliments as I walked down the street. I don't think I'd ever use it in place of moisturizer or primer, though, it seemed to have a drying effect even then. At that time I would have given it 4 lippies.

Five years on, I would no longer call this a good investment. For one thing MAC changed the packaging so that it's squeezed instead of pumped, and I always end up cursing a little as it glorps out onto my hand uncontrollably. Perhaps it's because I no longer use the same foundation, and it doesn't mix well with the Juice Beauty CC Cream that I use now. (I'm breastfeeding a baby so I have to be mindful of the chemicals I put on my skin, since it can easily end up in her milk!) Maybe my skin is just a little drier or more needy. But this product no longer makes my skin look dewy and bright; in fact, I always regret putting it on now. I suppose a little bit to highlight is OK, but again, the glorping. Benefit's High Beam, though just as drying for me, is the better bet in my opinion.

For a natural glow, try mixing up a little Vitamin C serum (see the DIY on MUA) and applying a little bit of coconut or sea buckthorn oil to your face before you put on your moisturizer. My skin is SP happy with me since I started doing that, and the glow lasts all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/16/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by sarahashleymac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I find this cream so strange, its very thick, so you would expect it to be extremely moisturizing. But then as you apply it, it starts to feel watery and it doesn't moisturize nearly as well as you would expect. It does have a slight luminous effect, and I like that it isn't an obvious sparkle, but the luminosity is completely lost once you apply foundation and the rest of your makeup. Then you are just left with parched skin. I think this may be better mixed with foundation, or for those who don't have dry skin or are looking to refresh their complexion on non-makeup days.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2014 8:21:00 PM More reviews by fecktopia

Winning primer. My dry, lacklustre skin is instantly improved by adding this iridescent (not shiny) step between moisturiser and foundation. It definitely increases the wear of all of my foundations. Can be used alone for a healthy glow, and I find the more make up I layer over it the less glow I get, which stands to reason. My favourite element of strobe cream is that it provides a perfect, smooth, canvas for makeup, which I never expected from any product as my skin gets so rough and often bumpy. This product won't actually reduce the size of your pores, but if applied liberally and evenly under a medium to full coverage foundation, you shouldn't even notice them much. I used to use maybelline baby skin which did reduce pores but didn't function all that well as a primer. If this is a primary concern for you try using them in conjunction, as baby skin is greasy and strobe will even out the base for more effective make up application. I avoid using powder with strobe cream as powder often shows up enlarged pores more and it dulls the natural glow effect that strobe is so good for. Lightly moisturising, hasn't irritated my skin, good packaging, expensive in Asia but worth the price. Can be mixed in with foundation for a sheerer coverage. Yep, winner.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by Bivette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Me gusta, sencillo. Mi piel es mixta, era grasa cuando era mas jovencita, tono amarillo palido. Me parece un producto de los mejores de Mac para ser honesta, si existe calidad-precio, a mi no me da oleosidad o grasa, no tapa mis poros, tampoco los hace ver mas grandes. El efecto que da es de vitalidad e hidratacion, si se usa mucha cantidad pues si se nota mas como el shimmery look y el radiant glow pero nada mas. Pues si hay version 1 oz. y 1.7 oz., mi consejo para ahorrar dinero es comprarte dos strobe cream travel size que una strobe cream grande, pues al final gastas menos dinero, llevas 2 oz. enves de 1.7 oz. y cabe en todos lados. El tema de que si hidrata o humecta, ni una ni otra, si sientes la piel mas humeda y lozana, si tienes piel seca, pues con este amiguito no basta. Sus ingredientes en si son muy buenos pues tiene green tea, acido hialuronico, extractos naturales, etc. mas contiene Edta, paraben y phenoxyethanol, en pocas cantidades. El olor es una relacion de amor vs odio, no he podido descifrar a que huele, pues huele a Mac, se parece como a lo que huelen las barbies.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by unoeme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This would work if you have nice skin with no visible pores. For the rest who are like me with oily skin and large pores, pls do not buy this. As a moisturizer, it shows all my open pores.It even cancels out the effects of my primer. Then instead of using it as a moisturizer, i tried mixing a dot of strobe cream into my liquid foundation. It gives a nice glow and doesn't show my open pores like crazy but it does clogs my pores! What's with all MAC face products that clogs pores? Then i tried dabbing this on top of my make up as a highlighter (of course, I had to try many2 ways of using this since it's so expensive..) but it wears off as the day goes by. I tink benefit's high beam works better as a highlighter.

Update: so between using it as a moisturizer, mixing with foundation and a highlighter, I would say mixing into my foundation works best for me even tho my face looks less than flawless but it seems to make my makeup much more lasting than usual.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 1:44:00 PM More reviews by labellette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have to say I really like the way this cream makes your skin feel! I initially bought it for the shimmer, just thinking I could use it as an illuminator on my cheekbones..I don't think it illuminates that strongly just to put on your cheeks for example.

But it's a really nice moisturizer and gives you a certain glow! However it can make certain parts of your faces shiny that you might not want too shiny (area around your mouth for example..), but you can just use a translucent powder to tone that down. Decent price, nice packaging and it makes your skin feel like it's doing a lot of good. Hydrates really good and makes your skin feel really soft, it seems to have a lot of good ingredients in it too!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by makeupforever71

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favourite creams ever to apply before foundation. This gives your skin that extra healthy glow without making your face look too shiny. This is great for all skins ! especially for my dry skin making it feel hydrated and prepped. This cream is not greasy it gives your skin a nice smooth base. I sometimes wear this cream on its own which makes my skin look healthy and fresh ! I recommend this cream for everyone , its a must have :)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by MsCadle

I love this cream. It's light, dewy, and it leaves your face looking flawless. I add it before my foundation for a little extra moisture and then after for that dewy look. It's a staple in my MU bag.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2014 4:37:00 PM More reviews by TropicalPopical

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Having flawless foundation is an absolute must for myself. After all its the canvas for the rest of your face.

I use strobe cream combined with a few other MAC products to get my desired look; dewy and fresh faced. Firstly I use Prep + Prime as a base and give it a few minutes to settle in to my skin, then on the back of my hand I take a pump of Pro Longwear spf 10 foundation (I always always have to have an SPF, it's so important to protect your skin) and add a dab of Strobe Cream to it, I then apply it to my face with Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. The reason I mix the two is because I feel it gives more of a natural glow to the face and distributes the product nicely, I also find that if I put on strobe and then foundation it sometimes mattifies (have I just made up a word?) the strobe cream.

I'm then left with healthy glowing skin all day, it also leaves my face feeling soft and smooth without feeling greasy. However on very hot days or periods where I'm wearing makeup for a long time I may dab a little powder on to my T zone if I become too glowing.

When using this product you won't need more than one pump per application, a little really does go a long way with this.

- I haven't included the rest of my face routine in the review as the focus is on strobe -

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by eskimo24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

LOVE! This amazing pearlescent, iridescent glow cream is unbelievable. Having dry skin I found that moisturising AND priming my skin would cause it to ball up on my face but never found a primer that have me enough hydration alone; in walks this little gem. I squeeze a pea sized amount out of the squeeze tube onto my finger and apply to my flaky, dry, dull skin and wow, it gives me a dewy, glowing and moisturised complexion which makes my foundation last all day and not cake or cling to dry patches. Also this miracle cream has so many skin benefits including an aha (light chemical exfoliant) which does not irritate my eczema and acne prone skin. Thank you mac this is my HG primer and I will never be without it.