September 19, 2014 | 983 users online

Mascara - Clinique - Lash Building Primer

rated 2 of 5 on 6/1/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by kimmaria

I have straight medium-short lashes....this primer honestly did no justice (I am very easily impress). I barely couldn't tell the difference between with and without this primer, it flaked on me (I used Cliniques Lash Power which I absolutely HATE). The tube is grossly huge and not pretty looking at all. It was also pricey (26$ CDN). Would I buy it again? NEVER.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/23/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by strawberryandmint

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I use this lash primer before i put on the lash doubling mascara from clinique. and it definately makes it last longer. I even took some naps with it, without any dramatic smudgeing. love it!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by deluxeccf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Me: Eyelashes stick straight up, but they are long. Every mascara (including waterproof) has smudged on me so I have taken to mascara primers to help me out.

In short, this didn't hold a curl. I curled my eyelashes and as soon as I put the primer on, my eyelashes drooped. Holding a curl and preventing smudging were the only reasons why I wanted a mascara primer. At $15 this is definitely cheaper than Shiseido and Lancome but it does not perform as well. The product comes off white but rather clearish if that makes sense. When I used Lancome, my eyelashes were completely white but with Clinique, the wand and product looks white but doesn't transfer to my eyelashes.

I do think this helps with not smudging, (no raccoon eyes) but I can't forgive this product for not holding a curl.

Also -- another thing that irritated me was that it was IMPOSSIBLE to find the ingredients online for this product. I wanted to compare the ingredients to this and the Lancome one (which didn't work for me) and I couldn't find it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This was the first lash primer I ever tried, about 2 years ago, and I loved it so much that I immediately became obsessed with lash primers in general. I know that sounds a little crazy but this one product changed my attitude toward mascara altogether. No more smudgy panda eyes! No more limiting myself to tubing mascaras (there are only so many of them). And WOWZA this stuff made my lashes look AMAZING. That's what's so great about lash primer- it makes any and all mascara (dollar store, department store, whatever) look better and last longer.
After I used up my tube of Clinique I tried primers from Dior, Lancome, Tarte, Origins, Shiseido, Hard Candy, Estee Lauder, there may have been others but you get the picture. Now finally, 2 years later, I bought another tube of Clinique's Lash Building Primer because I remembered how much I liked it.
While I still think that Lancome's Cils Booster is my favorite and my HG, Clinique's primer is still pretty awesome. In fact it's better than most. And the name is fitting- this product really does build up my lashes! If you were looking for super-dramatic, borderline-drag queen lashes, this is the primer I'd recommend you use under your mascara. The formula is pretty wet and a little heavier than what I remember, this is one that you should let dry for just a minute before applying mascara. Does a really excellent job of smudge-prevention and makes lashes thicker, longer, and bolder.
Great stuff- I love using it and would purchase again!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried Clinique's lash building primer as it's cheaper than Lancome's Cils booster but it doesn't compare in quality and performance.
Clinique's lash primer has a wetter formula which I don't like as it takes the curl out of my lashes. (I have very thin, skimpy Asian lashes so they need all the help they can get)

Pros:
Less expensive than Lancome
Good size brush
Applies a good amount of product on lashes so this is good to build volume (although it maybe a little clumpy)

Cons:
Formula is quite wet and takes a bit of extra time to dry before applying mascara
Can be clumpy

Repurchase:
No, I wouldn't and haven't re-purchased this product and I've gone back to my old standby, Lancome Cils Booster.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

I covet long lashes, like giraffe-in-high-heels- long. Like Erich Von Stroheim's "Greed" or the annotated "War and Peace" long. ELEVATOR TO THE MOON LONG. I'm a cardcarrying mascara enthusiast (read: addict) and I've found some great mascaras over the years, especially L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions, Benefit's They're Real, and Rimmel's Sexy Curves.

These are great at lengthening and separating but I still wanted a little more without actually submitting to false lashes. I finally started exploring lash primers and settled on this one. ELF and L'Oreal have decent DS level primers, and Lancome Cils XL is pretty ok and pretty pricey.

But Clinique's, oh my... a perfect fit for me. My lashes are straight, blonde, and have trouble holding a curl. I apply this and then one layer of my mascara when the primer is still wet, curl, and voila!! Beautiful, long, fluttery lashes. It helps prevent clumping and flaking and holds a curl like a champion. I haven't used mascara without this primer since I bought it.

My only difficulty was with the brush. It picks up too much product, but I just scrape it off on the edge of the lid and use the excess for next time.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by kikidoll27

I picked this up at a makeup counter in Dillard's. The lady there was really helpful-- she worked for Elizabeth Arden but reccommended I try I lash primer when I said I can never seem to get my lashes to look at big as I want them to. She told me about this lash primer. I've tried one before from wet n wild, but it was one of those cheap double ended ones that came with a set of their lipsticks I wanted. I used it a few times and remembered it being very dry, but in the tester I could tell this one has a wetter formula, so I took a chance on it. It was only fifteen dollars which to me is a good price for a lash primer, which is a none too common makeup item. I really love this lash primer! It adds lenght, volume, and holds a curl. The actual product itself is white, so I need to coat the primer with a pigmented mascara. I also love the packaging. It's simple, no frills, and travel friendly. This is now a staple in my daily makeup routine. I was never intrigued by Clinique, but I may try more from the brand now.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by elixmia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This primer certainly lengthens and conditions lashes. Another plus is that I did not have an allergic reaction and the product doesn't smell bad. Unfortunately this product turned my lashes bone straight after I had curled them, which is why I won't be buying it again unless I need to condition my lashes for some reason. I thought $15 was a bit excessive, especially since the product did not work as I had hoped. It might work for some whose lashes can handle the weight of the product, but I wouldn't recommend it for those with weaker lashes that have trouble holding curls. There are probably cheaper and better primers out there, but this one may work for some.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by Lily580

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hmmmm....this is the first eyelash primer I have ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to. If it's length you're after and don't care about volume then this stuff is definitely for you. It makes me look like I'm wearing false eyelashes! I already have quite long eyelashes so the thing I wanted was volume which i feel like this didn't give me. In fact I had less volume then I usually do just wearing my diorshow mascara by itself. I will be testing out other primers in future I think.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am an abject failure at applying falsies. I get so frustrated that I usually end up throwing them in the trash. I've considered lash extensions but I am afraid they will bend when I sleep or fall off. I also know they can be rather expensive. My alternative: a lash primer. This product was recommended by a group of ladies on another website. I paired this product with my Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara. The primer gave my lashes added thickness and length, a more "fanned out" appearance. Pretty darn close to the "false lash" look. Well worth the $15 I spent. I only wish the drugstore offered a separate lash primer. The only ones I see are double-ended products where you get so little primer and mascara.