August 30, 2014 | 1777 users online

Cleansers - Noxzema - Original Skin Cream

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2010 7:44:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

While my first love is Asian cleansing oils, with this economy, I've been tightening my belt a bit. I'd been using Ponds, but on a whim, decided to try this. Wow, am blown away.
My mother always had this in the bathroom when I was growing up, but I only used it sporadically, having that classic teenage girl obtuseness where she does not appreciate her mother perhaps knowing a thing or two about skin care.
This stuff is working great on my combination skin. No drying out the parts that tend to get flakey, but meanwhile, some persistent stress-related pimples on my chin have been drying up in a matter of a few days. Amazingly, the tingly feeling of it does not irritate my mild rosacea. Actually, my rosacea flush pales down for a few minutes after washing the Noxzema off--think the cooling action must soothe it.
I can't tell if I'm imagining it, but it seems like right after I've washed with it, my skin temporarily looks creamy. I think the cooling action will feel great in the summer time. Have a suspicion that Noxzema would work in a pinch as a shaving cream for a husband/boyfriend, especially if your husband/boyfriend is a lover of Proraso products.
Here's why I'm taking off a lippie, a few nitpicking reasons. Although I have mild rosacea and it works well with me, I would not greenlight this product for typical sensitive skin types. The only reason I felt safe in buying this was that having tried it as a teen, I knew it, for some mysterious reason,didn't sting me. Also, I think maybe true dry skin types should perhaps consider the Moisture Plus version. Lastly, I think Noxzema needs to amend their directions on usage. I've noticed that often the people who've complained about being left with a waxy residue don't follow rinsing off the Noxzema with washing with a gentle face cleanser(I use Caswell-Massey Almond Cold Cream Soap). I've found that if I use my C-M soap afterwards, no residue and my face feels really clean, yet not stripped. Last nitpicking thing, while it works great removing face makeup for me, the texture of it may not make it ideal for eye makeup--think I'll use Ponds for removing my eye makeup.
Ending on a more positive note, using Noxzema really makes me aware of Ponds' shortcomings. There's always a slight grease factor with Ponds, even the deep cleansing formula. No grease feeling with Noxzema, it feels more like a semi-hard soap that melts into a non-greasy cream when I rub it in. Also, Ponds' tapering jar shape makes it hard to get the last of it out--have to use a Q-tip to get at it. With the Noxzema jar, easy access to every bit of it. Finally, it seems like I'm able to get way more product per unit at a good price with Noxzema than Ponds.
PS: Have found this works great as an overnight spot treatment for pimples, far better for me than Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask. Speeds up drying up my pimples, but doesn't over dry my skin or leave it an angry red.
Update: While the menthol does not actually aggravate my rosacea(it in fact temporarily pales down my rosacea patches), I now find Noxzema a little too drying in the long run. So, I'm keeping my overall rating (because I think it does work well for a number of people), but am changing my would you buy this again rating to a no. Am a little sad to say goodbye to Noxzema, still have a soft spot for it.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 3:43:00 AM More reviews by catwoman1275

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I always eventually return to using good old fashioned Noxzema. I first used this 20 years ago at age 13, until I was about 19 and could afford the more expensive skincare products. Over the past few years I have used high end skincare products and my skin still didn't look all that great. Most overdried my skin and irritated my face, leaving fine red dots on my face, especially my cheeks and chin. Just last week I was cleaning out the bathroom cabinet and came across a jar of this. I absolutely LOVE the smell (although I know some can't stand it) and it feels refreshing. Some ingredient in this product seemed to soothe and smooth the red dots; they're barely visible now. My only complaint is that this doesn't rinse off well and cannot be removed without the aid of a washcloth, otherwise, it leaves a residue. I prefer the jar over the pump because the cream in the pump seems runny. I hope this is never discontinued, and I doubt it will at least in my lifetime. By the way, I'm also a nurse, and I saw a jar at the bedside of a 77 year old female patient. She had probably the best skin I have ever seen on a person in that age group, and she said that is the only cleanser she has EVER used since she was a young adult.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Oddly, I never used this when I was younger. I started using it over the summer, and now, at 33, I love it.

I don't know what it is about this stuff that soothes my rosacea to normal looking skin (eucalyptus oil can be a rosacea irritant, along with seemingly everything else on God's green earth) but on my good rosacea days, Noxzema takes my skin to the next level and makes it smooth, glowing and so lovely, I could completely skip foundation. On my bad rosacea days, Noxzema still helps soothe down some of the inflammation as well as the steroid cream my doctor gave me....guess which of the two I don't use anymore? Great as a facial cleanse (especially the summer for the cooling effect ), it leaves my skin feeling refreshed, soft and hydrated, glowy and all those wonderful things.

How I use it:
Apply and work in a thin layer all over face and either tissue off, or remove with a wet washcloth. If I tissue off, there's no need to follow with a moisturizer. However, if I use the wet washcloth method, it can leave my skin feeling too tight/dry so I'll work in a tiny bit of coconut oil into my skin afterwards, if needed. Sometimes I'll apply a thicker amount and leave it on for about 5 minutes.

A few qualms
1) Of course you can't use it on the eyes. My ideal cleanser would work all over.
2) Oddly, if I've been drinking (heavily), it reacts somehow with the alcohol and burns my face (*only* when I've been drinking)...I end up with a red mask where I applied the Noxzema. My rosacea flares up into a *beast* when I drink heavily and adding Noxzema on top of it just makes it that much more angry.
3) I wish it came in a squeeze tube (maybe this original formula does and I've just never found it.)
4) While I generally like the eucalyptus/menthol scent, sometimes, it's too strong and I just have to soldier through it.

So while I can't use Noxzema exclusively, I don't mind expanding my super minimal skincare routine to include it for daily use while leaving my tried and true coconut oil for the things that Noxzema can't handle (eye makeup and drinking nights).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 6:37:00 AM More reviews by itsnotmakeupitsme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

My skin is oily breakout prone(slightly combination) with a strong tendency towards clogging. To be honest, its hard for me to get a good routine with my skin. As oily as it is, it easily dries out with acne products which usually keeps me from using them very long.

I started using the Noxzema about a month ago, with little expectations other than to get my skin clean and remove my makeup. I actually like the smell, always have, but I can admit its not for everyone! I find it cooling and refreshing. Morning and night I apply about the amount of a half a large cherry (give or take) and I let it set on my skin until its dryish, as I apply I massage it in really well. After its dry I take a little water in my hands and then massage my face again. This helps satisfy my love of lather. It doesn't lather but it rehydrates back to its original state, its close enough. I also make a point of massaging it with the water, and of course I rinse it off. It does remove my makeup well. If I am wearing especially heavy makeup I will wash my face twice but it not usually needed. I just do it to be extra sure my skin is clean.

I do find it feels a little bit like it leaves a slight residue, after a little time I don't seem to notice it and it doesn't seem to impact my makeup application.

After a month of using it my skin has improved a lot!! I went from consistent breakouts to occasional, almost none. My oil is under control, my skin is approaching "normal" territory!! I do use it in conjunction with BP 10%, I only use the BP every other day or every few days. If I use it too much my skin does start to dry out with the combination of the Noxzema and the BP but I think the two together are part of what has improved my skin.

Like I said, my skin is oily. I am not sure how this would work on dry skin or if you are using a lot of other acne products but I am sold for my skin. I am so happy to have found a combination that doesn't strip or scorch my skin.

So between the BP and the Noxzema I am out about 10 bux a month! Not bad for results I am getting!!

UPDATE: 7/25/13 Still using and still doing well! Even if I do get a spot it clears up in about 1/5 of the time it used to take! Skin texture appearance also improving. Overall skin appearance improving. Will try to continue to update. I did add salicylic acid nightly, together with the BP it is working deeper to prevent and clear blackheads/congested pores.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I remember my mother using Noxzema on us kids when we were young as a cure for sunburn. She would have us slather ourselves in it and sit in front of our one large fan in our non air-conditioned apartment. It was always a staple in our house. Last night I was out and had a little too much of drinky-drink and woke up today with my face feeling like a giant greaseball. When I got home I dug out my good ole Noxzema and proceeded to clean my face- it was the best! My skin felt clean and tingly all over! Now I wonder why I have it hidden away and don't use this daily-will have to remedy this immediately!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 10:25:00 AM More reviews by pandafever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When it comes to makeup, moisturizers, shampoos, etc... I am usually not very loyal. Noxzema however is different.
I have very sensitive, combo skin (dryness in the winter, and oilier skin in the summer). Noxzema is one of those products I can use all year. I have been loyally washing my face with this for years and I get many complements on my skin. It never irritates, it feels refreshing, it removes all of my makeup, and it has a moisturizing quality that makes my skin feel very soft after I use it.
It is also very multipurpose. I will use it to heal the occasional blemish by washing my face with it, and then putting a dab on the blemish to help it heal while I am sleeping. It can also be used as a mask, just put a somewhat thick layer on your face, let it dry and then rinse. I use it as a moisturizer at night by rubbing a little onto my face, neck or hands (like I would a lotion) for super smooth skin when I wake up in the morning. I have also heard of some women using it as a primer, but that is not something I will probably try because of the smell. I don't mind the eucalyptus/menthol smell, but it is very strong and I don't want to smell like medicine when I am out and about.
Anyway, over all I LOVE this product.

2/7/14
Still using Noxzema! Accidentally bought the Noxzema with additional moisture and that works well too! If you don't like the strong smell of the Original you should try that version instead. However, once I use the added moisture version up I will probably repurchase the Original Noxzema. I am one of those people who really likes that strong menthol smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by Becks14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this product since I was 13 and I used it because my sisters and mom did and their skin looked great. In the summer put it in the fridge for a little while then use it- nice and cooling! Also great for sunburns. It burns a little if I leave it on too long but...that just means it's a deep-down clean, right? :-) I'd recommend it to any one, male or female, and especially teenagers who want something inexpensive and effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2009 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Debra3188

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this product!!!! People always compliment me on my skin and ask "what's your secret?" They are always surprised when I tell them Noxzema and Dove moisturizer!!! I don't wear heavy makeup, so it takes mine off pretty easily, but I do still wipe with a plain old baby wipe before I use the Noxzema just to get the majority of it removed. LOVE NOXZEMA - have used it for years and will continue to do so!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2008 9:20:00 PM More reviews by AliceF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

My inability to leave the drugstore without buying anything led me to pick this up a few months ago. Like everyone else, I'd used it in high school, but I didn't have acne and so just enjoyed the tingles and shine mattifying abilities.

What I love about it now are the skin toning and smoothing aspects. I'm 33, with dry- combination skin, slight freckles and sun spots that probably only I see. I use it in the morning as a cleanser, applying dry and smoothing in circles, washing off with a warm wash cloth. I follow this with Clinique toner, serum, eye cream and moisturizer. At night I use it to take off my make up again applying dry and rubbing in circles and washing off wish and warm cloth. Repeat that same routine! And sometimes after a mask I treat myself to a Noxema mask: 5 minutes with Noxema on, followed by toner. On occasion, if I am extra tired and my eyelids are puffy I will add an thin layer of Noxema onto my eyelids and they will go down instantly.

I won't stop buying it again and I feel like I have rediscovered a miracle product. I was using Life Brand Exfoliating Toweliettes, which I loved, but I find myself going through the Noxema ritual much, much more.

Edit: April 08. I'm not sure this is working for me or against me. I haven't been exfoliating as much since I started using this as a cleanser and my skin has become drier and I have rough patches underneath my eyes/top of my cheeks. I think I am reacting to the menthol. My skin has never looked so bad! Also, it stings that area when I cleanse. I'm thinking about switching to Ponds Cold Cream and resuming an exfoliating routine.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/28/2005 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Leese1969

I have combination/acne-prone skin and find that Noxzema works best when I alternate it with other cleansers. If I use it on a regular basis, it dries my skin out.

Many have said that it breaks them out. If you have blackheads and problem skin, it is normal for a cleanser to turn them into whiteheads. The cleanser is bringing the impurities to the surface and will eventually dry out the pimple.

Overall, I like Noxzema. It's a great makeup remover and fabulous for sunburns.