April 19, 2014 | 1750 users online

Loose Powders - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightening Powder

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Gwiyomi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been through about 3 pots of this product, almost done with my 4th, and I have a backup sitting in my makeup drawer right now. I used to love the Benefit Powderflage, but since it was D/Ced, I have found this to be the next best option. I am not really sure what it is about this partiular powder that works so much better than all of the other siliconey powders I have tried, perhaps it is the pure white tone of #1 (they do sell a #2, for darker skintones). I wear a lot of concealer under my eyes, and this prevents creasing 100% without making my fine lines look dry or extra exaggerated. You really only need a little bit of this to set concealer for all day wear, I really do love it except for one thing...

The shimmer! I am not sure how people do not notice it, but I definitely do in direct, natural, sunlight. Even my SO pointed out that my undereye area was "sparkly." I dab my brush into the pot, and tap tap tap tap tap, so it is not as though I am packing it on. I suppose I will just have to live with this draw-back for now, though if I could find a product without the shimmer and just as good as this I would drop this one in a heart beat. Still, I continue to use it, until I can find something better (I have tried many products and nothing seems to work as well as this).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:59:00 PM More reviews by mb192

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was looking for something to help set concealer under my eyes, to prevent creasing and the SO recommended this. I was worried the brightening particles would be noticeable and look sparkly in the sun, but decided to get it anyways. I'm glad I did, because its amazing - it truly helps my concealer last longer. I do find it brightening, but it's subtle, no sparkly particles!! I apply this using a small fluffy brush. The packaging is fairly cheap feeling.. for the price I would expect a little better, but I would still repurchase/recommend this product to anyone having issues with their under eye concealer!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 1:02:00 PM More reviews by m33m4

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This is the makeup equivalent of an instagram filter. I put the tiniest amount on a fluffy powder brush, sweep across my under eyes, cheekbones and forehead and it seriously makes you glow. Sometimes I even put it all over my face, though it's probably best to leave that for night time as it is a teensy bit shimmery in the sunlight (doesn't bother me personally). I've never used a setting powder that perfects my foundation so well. Even when I haven't slept, and my face really shows it, it works as a pick me up (admittedly not as well but well enough). I have actually tried using baby powder (it looked ashy and yuck on me), chanels translucent powder , and e.l.fs HD powder (which is a great, cheap dupe for this), but LMs is my HG. The packaging is a little annoying; spill-y and finicky, and the price is ok. It could be cheaper, but I wish everything was cheaper. I believe it's worth the price, one pot lasts me forever and I am a pretty heavy makeup user. It also does not break my whingey acne-prone skin out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2014 11:27:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is an excellent powder, it doesn't exacerbate dry flakes on my skin, and brightens a little bit. I just wish it were less expensive and more brightening.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by akneil

This is the finest powder I have ever felt. It's amazing. Now I know why my under eye area was looking a little too powdery - because I wasn't using this.
It is a fine fine fine translucent powder, which has a slight shimmer. Sets your concealer and brightens your eye area.
There's not much else to say about this powder, it's just great!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Rubymm

I love this powder! It makes my under eyes look so air brushed and flawless but not cakey AT ALL! I absolutely love this! So so good!!! But the only thing is the price but I feel like it would last quite a long time and its defiantly worth it! Loving it right now!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 8:48:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really like this powder for setting my undereye concealer. It is subtly brightening, despite the not-so-subtle shimmer you see in the pot. I don't find that the shimmer is visible on my face. Even in bright sunlight. It might be more noticeable if you used it over a larger area, but under my eyes it's fine. This does a great job of keeping my concealer from creasing while also not making my undereyes look overly powdery. It emphasizes my fine lines the least out of any powder I've tried. I've never found a powder that doesn't emphasize them at all, but it's still better than the alternative of creasy concealer. I like to press this (gently!) into my concealer with either a sponge or a flat brush, then brush off any excess with a clean fluffy eyeshadow brush. The result leaves me looking wide awake, even when I'm far from it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/6/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by 8383

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have to say this is a great product if you are under 40. I've used this for years. Always thought I liked it. Helped cover my dark circles and set my under eye makeup. But after a few hours I always think when I look in the mirror that my eyes look more dry, wrinkly and crinkly. So I thought I would try not using this anymore and just use a setting spray. Oh My God!! What a difference! I look like I don't even have under eye wrinkles anymore. It emphasizes wrinkles at any age. I know make artist say to put powder under your eyes to set the makeup, but it's a huge mistake. I look 10 years younger since I stopped using this product. Maybe if you are in your 20's this would be good, but otherwise be careful, if you want to look to look younger. Setting sprays are the best!!!!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 1:22:00 PM More reviews by LittleRussianDoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As a huge fan of the Laura Mercier mineral range I thought I'd love this as much as everyone else, but it doesn't do all that much for me. I use it to set my undereye concealer as the MUA recommended, but the finish isn't amazing at all. I love highlighters, but not glitter and I really notice the particles in this. Its a shame, I really wanted to love this after reading so many great reviews.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 8:24:00 AM More reviews by blondebohemian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Normally I stay away from loose powders because I am not a fan of cakey, matte skin. But having moved recently to a hot and humid climate I needed to add one to keep my foundation from sliding off.

Reference point: MAC NC 30-35, NARS Barcelona, Armani #7, tan and normal (occasionally slightly dry) skin. - I use the #2 powder.

I use this after my primer, foundation and concealer have been applied. I take my loose powder brush, something big and fluffy (NARS #1 or the Botan Kabuki) and dust a bit of the loose powder on my forehead, nose, and chin (areas that get shiny for me). Depending on what I'm doing that day, I may dust it all over my face. It does make my foundation last longer and I avoid the oily oxidizing t zone areas. However, while this is a luminous product I still have to use a light hand because it can get a like cakey looking. Honestly though, the difference between the days I skip the powder and the days I use it is pretty small. It's not a miracle face powder.

It's also AMAZING for setting under eye concealer! That's where this powder really shines for me. I love a bright under eye area. A heavy coverage concealer, while effectively covering circles tends to leave my under eye area looking cakey and matte. I use a concealer, a dab of YSL Touché Éclat for luminosity and brightening, then set it for longevity using a fluffy eyeshadow brush with the Laura Mercier powder. Ta Da! Beautiful, natural, bright under eyes. And the effect lasts all day.

In terms of packaging, loose powder has always been messy for me. It's not a purse friendly product.

Overall, I see this lasting a long time, and I may repurchase (although I want to try the NARS loose powder). I love this for setting my under eye concealer and like it for the rest of my face.