October 25, 2014 | 1241 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 11:58:00 PM More reviews by erermar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I just found this cleanser.. I've never had a facewash that worked for me without drying my skin out or causing breakouts. This face wash is amazing- I've been using it for a month and my skin has never been clearer. Not only that but it feels smoother, my pores are smaller, and it seems like my skin is more alive. No added chemical junk to my skin. It can tend to be drying so I usually use rosewater toner after and a light moisturizer. I've completely switched to all natural and oil based products because of this cleanser and my skin is literally glowing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by starhermit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this cleanser for over a year now. It is the only product I've found that, when used consistently every day, keeps my skin mostly-clear of acne. (My skin has not, since I was a teen, been completely-clear, but mostly-clear beats not-really-clear by a country mile and I'm very happy about this.) I use it in combination with either straight shea butter or Retin-A on my face every night, and my skin is clearer than it's been in decades. I first picked up a small bottle from a health food store, and loved it so much that I re-purchased the large bottle from Amazon. It has lasted me for ages, and is incredibly cheap. And, weird perhaps, but I love the smell of tea tree oil. I see no reason to not keep using this cleanser forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2014 7:21:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Years ago when I was very young and a newlywed my lovely husband and I adored this face wash. We stumbled across it one day in the drugstore or perhaps the grocery store. We raved about the scent and we bought a bottle for the shower and sink each.youth can be reckless as we were and this being Castile soap, one needs to take care and use a lot of water...we did not. In fact we washed our faces three or four times a day because we loved the smell so much and the squeaky clean feeling. And naturally it caused really bad breakouts. It caused breakouts because we didn't know how to use it. Castile soap is for the seriously responsible. I was way too lazy to dilute it properly.
I purchased this face wash only a couple of days ago. I was hesitant, the pH is on the alkaline side. There's a lot of strange ingredients like "tall oil" and if you Google it you'll understand my trepidation.
a word of warning: the pump gets clogged very easily. Once, years ago, I went to pump some product in my hand. The liquid bounced off my palm and directly into my eye. My husband wasn't around and I was alone, I spent a 40 minutes crying and rolling around on the floor in agony. Do not get it near your eyes.
Back to just recently. I started using this again because I have been using products for sensitive and dry skin. I'm very confused about what type of skin I have now I'm in my late 30s and a lot of the things that happen to my skin are hormone and allergy based. A lot of gentle cleansers while being devoid of parabens, are full of formaldehyde releasing ingredients/preservatives.
I couldn't understand while my face wasn't full of acne or anything like that, it still didn't seem to feel right, it was dry AND oily, or dry and rubbery... it was didn't feel like my skin. To further add to my confusion I was using products that were considered "gentle" and "sensitive".
So when I cracked this bottle of face wash open inhaled the lovely sent it took me back to years past of youth and love...I felt bolstered. I thought "maybe this is it" and pumped a tiny amount into my hand with lots of water lathered rinsed and waited.
So far I have not experienced dryness, although I've been very careful with dilution and usage; meaning it will use it twice a day. In four weeks time I will post an update to tell you what I think this face wash today, 20 years later.
***UPDATE*** It goes to prove, at least to myself, how much one changes physically. I tried to use this for a week. It was *so drying* the wings of my nostrils were peeing and red-like what happens when you've got a cold and you're blowing your nose too much. My skin began to bust out in big painful pimples, because it's too alkaline. Seems to suit my fella better, so I gave it to him. Men have a slightly higher skin pH than women. Interesting huh?

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by oclbgirl

I recently had huge breakouts on my face, some cystic acne even, and decided to give this a try. After 3-4 days, I noticed that my pimples had become smaller. My skin is still in recovery mode, but I'm happy that this cleanser removes all of my makeup, doesn't leave a residue and doesn't cause breakouts.

I would not recommend this to anyone with very sensitive skin (or nose) however, because the tea tree oil odor is very strong. Once you've rinsed the cleanser off, the smell is gone, but for the most sensitive, I would avoid this product.

It contains many different types of oils, but doesn't feel oily on the skin. It creates a light lather and I just need one pump to clean my face at night. I thought that this would be very stripping, but so far it hasn't dried me out any more than a traditional gel cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by srk96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have mixed thoughts on this product. I used to suffer from oily, acne-prone skin. This is the product that cleared up my skin! It made my face feel so clean, it removed my FACE makeup (don't use this near your eyes. There is tea tree oil inside!), and it was cheap! I used this product religiously for 3 years.

I have always had oily skin but this past year, my skin just seemed to dry up! I hadn't changed anything in my skincare routine, I eat healthy and I drink a lot of water. Maybe I'm just growing up and changing, but I think this product over time stripped my face dry. Now I have normal/dry skin. Dry flakes everywhere, tight feeling skin. No break outs, but yeah! This product, while it is awesome for oily acne prone skin, is just not the best for long term use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 4:46:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So, I tried this a while ago and actually had a review on it. I didn't like it back then, assuming it was giving me cystic acne, but I've recently revisited it.

I've come to realize that THIS STUFF IS THE NECTAR OF THE GODS. It is, however, very strong, so you have to make sure you use it with care. If you do, you won't regret it.

I've been struggling with acne for a good part of my life now. I'm in my late 20s, and it seems to have only gotten worse in the past 5 years. I've tried it all: BP, supplements, sulfur, salicylic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy, birth control - everything short of accutane. Some have worked a little, others have wreaked havoc on my body and just made things worse.

So, since this bottle is often sold in a VERY large size, I realized recently that I still had some left, and gave it another shot. It took a little while to clear up the rash of acne on my chin and cheeks, but it eventually worked. It also started to help clear some of the scars I had too.

The only issue I was having was that it was drying out my skin a lot, and it started to peel. I had this issue with Benzoyl Peroxide as well - my skin is very sensitive.

I backed off on the amount of scrubbing I was doing and the amount of product I was using (I suggest getting a foaming pump bottle) and made sure that at night I slapped on a good moisturizer. My choice was, oddly enough, Bag Balm. I haven't had any issues since! In fact, my skin has been much smoother and softer as a result of extended use of this face wash.

I've found that dabbing this stuff right out of the bottle onto active acne will help clear them super fast with minimal scarring. It's seriously amazing, and ridiculously affordable.

If you have had acne problems for a while, I would definitely give this a shot. Just be prepared for how strong it really is, and use it sparingly and wisely with plenty of moisturizer!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by oilyteen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Cleansed my skin very well BUT!!!! It makes my face feel really tight uncomfortable and almost rubber like! It foams up nicely but this is WAY too strong for everyday use I keep it around and use it from time to time if for some reason my face is extra oily or dirty, it does clean very well but it's too intense for me to use everyday.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by jjuliana

This is my absolute favorite face wash! I've been using it since I was a teenager, and my face hasn't been this clear and break-out free since I've started combining this with the tea tree oil pads and their moisturizer. The smell definitely takes some time getting used to, but I really like it now. I don't like using fragrant facewashes anymore because they seem unnatural and I'm more aware of all the chemicals that go inside them. The older bottles came with pumps that broke after several use, but the pump on the newer bottles hasn't broken on me yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by sillyfoolxp

I've been using this for almost a month, and I'll never use another face wash again. I have oily skin that gets dry and flakey in the winter, and somewhat acne-prone with huge pores. I've tried so many face washes, and this is one of the very few that does its job perfectly (Olay total effects cream cleanser is also amazing)! One pump is all you need and it removes all my makeup and leaves my skin soft and squeaky clean. I follow with my regenerist night cream, and my skin has never looked better! Smaller pores, less blackheads, not a single pimple. My skin has gotten smoother and the usual flakes and bumps have all but disappeared. I've even been getting compliments (serious). The price is great too, so I'd definitely give it a shot!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by K8busch

This is a terrible product. I am acne-prone and i have been suffering from a bad breakout recently so i have been trying to find something new to stop the breakouts. My friend recommended this product to me so i bought it. I have very oily but incredibly sensitive skin and after using this twice, my skin feels awful. It's super itchy, peeling everywhere and this gave me more breakouts. I would only recommend this if you have non-sensitive skin because it is incredibly stripping and burns.