August 27, 2014 | 1852 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2014 7:21:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Years ago when I was very young and a newlywed my lovely husband and I adored this face wash. We stumbled across it one day in the drugstore or perhaps the grocery store. We raved about the scent and we bought a bottle for the shower and sink each.youth can be reckless as we were and this being Castile soap, one needs to take care and use a lot of water...we did not. In fact we washed our faces three or four times a day because we loved the smell so much and the squeaky clean feeling. And naturally it caused really bad breakouts. It caused breakouts because we didn't know how to use it. Castile soap is for the seriously responsible. I was way too lazy to dilute it properly.
I purchased this face wash only a couple of days ago. I was hesitant, the pH is on the alkaline side. There's a lot of strange ingredients like "tall oil" and if you Google it you'll understand my trepidation.
a word of warning: the pump gets clogged very easily. Once, years ago, I went to pump some product in my hand. The liquid bounced off my palm and directly into my eye. My husband wasn't around and I was alone, I spent a 40 minutes crying and rolling around on the floor in agony. Do not get it near your eyes.
Back to just recently. I started using this again because I have been using products for sensitive and dry skin. I'm very confused about what type of skin I have now I'm in my late 30s and a lot of the things that happen to my skin are hormone and allergy based. A lot of gentle cleansers while being devoid of parabens, are full of formaldehyde releasing ingredients/preservatives.
I couldn't understand while my face wasn't full of acne or anything like that, it still didn't seem to feel right, it was dry AND oily, or dry and rubbery... it was didn't feel like my skin. To further add to my confusion I was using products that were considered "gentle" and "sensitive".
So when I cracked this bottle of face wash open inhaled the lovely sent it took me back to years past of youth and love...I felt bolstered. I thought "maybe this is it" and pumped a tiny amount into my hand with lots of water lathered rinsed and waited.
So far I have not experienced dryness, although I've been very careful with dilution and usage; meaning it will use it twice a day. In four weeks time I will post an update to tell you what I think this face wash today, 20 years later.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by oclbgirl

I recently had huge breakouts on my face, some cystic acne even, and decided to give this a try. After 3-4 days, I noticed that my pimples had become smaller. My skin is still in recovery mode, but I'm happy that this cleanser removes all of my makeup, doesn't leave a residue and doesn't cause breakouts.

I would not recommend this to anyone with very sensitive skin (or nose) however, because the tea tree oil odor is very strong. Once you've rinsed the cleanser off, the smell is gone, but for the most sensitive, I would avoid this product.

It contains many different types of oils, but doesn't feel oily on the skin. It creates a light lather and I just need one pump to clean my face at night. I thought that this would be very stripping, but so far it hasn't dried me out any more than a traditional gel cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by srk96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have mixed thoughts on this product. I used to suffer from oily, acne-prone skin. This is the product that cleared up my skin! It made my face feel so clean, it removed my FACE makeup (don't use this near your eyes. There is tea tree oil inside!), and it was cheap! I used this product religiously for 3 years.

I have always had oily skin but this past year, my skin just seemed to dry up! I hadn't changed anything in my skincare routine, I eat healthy and I drink a lot of water. Maybe I'm just growing up and changing, but I think this product over time stripped my face dry. Now I have normal/dry skin. Dry flakes everywhere, tight feeling skin. No break outs, but yeah! This product, while it is awesome for oily acne prone skin, is just not the best for long term use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 4:46:00 PM More reviews by woooooosha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So, I tried this a while ago and actually had a review on it. I didn't like it back then, assuming it was giving me cystic acne, but I've recently revisited it.

I've come to realize that THIS STUFF IS THE NECTAR OF THE GODS. It is, however, very strong, so you have to make sure you use it with care. If you do, you won't regret it.

I've been struggling with acne for a good part of my life now. I'm in my late 20s, and it seems to have only gotten worse in the past 5 years. I've tried it all: BP, supplements, sulfur, salicylic acid, alpha and beta hydroxy, birth control - everything short of accutane. Some have worked a little, others have wreaked havoc on my body and just made things worse.

So, since this bottle is often sold in a VERY large size, I realized recently that I still had some left, and gave it another shot. It took a little while to clear up the rash of acne on my chin and cheeks, but it eventually worked. It also started to help clear some of the scars I had too.

The only issue I was having was that it was drying out my skin a lot, and it started to peel. I had this issue with Benzoyl Peroxide as well - my skin is very sensitive.

I backed off on the amount of scrubbing I was doing and the amount of product I was using (I suggest getting a foaming pump bottle) and made sure that at night I slapped on a good moisturizer. My choice was, oddly enough, Bag Balm. I haven't had any issues since! In fact, my skin has been much smoother and softer as a result of extended use of this face wash.

I've found that dabbing this stuff right out of the bottle onto active acne will help clear them super fast with minimal scarring. It's seriously amazing, and ridiculously affordable.

If you have had acne problems for a while, I would definitely give this a shot. Just be prepared for how strong it really is, and use it sparingly and wisely with plenty of moisturizer!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by oilyteen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Cleansed my skin very well BUT!!!! It makes my face feel really tight uncomfortable and almost rubber like! It foams up nicely but this is WAY too strong for everyday use I keep it around and use it from time to time if for some reason my face is extra oily or dirty, it does clean very well but it's too intense for me to use everyday.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 10:26:00 PM More reviews by jjuliana

This is my absolute favorite face wash! I've been using it since I was a teenager, and my face hasn't been this clear and break-out free since I've started combining this with the tea tree oil pads and their moisturizer. The smell definitely takes some time getting used to, but I really like it now. I don't like using fragrant facewashes anymore because they seem unnatural and I'm more aware of all the chemicals that go inside them. The older bottles came with pumps that broke after several use, but the pump on the newer bottles hasn't broken on me yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by sillyfoolxp

I've been using this for almost a month, and I'll never use another face wash again. I have oily skin that gets dry and flakey in the winter, and somewhat acne-prone with huge pores. I've tried so many face washes, and this is one of the very few that does its job perfectly (Olay total effects cream cleanser is also amazing)! One pump is all you need and it removes all my makeup and leaves my skin soft and squeaky clean. I follow with my regenerist night cream, and my skin has never looked better! Smaller pores, less blackheads, not a single pimple. My skin has gotten smoother and the usual flakes and bumps have all but disappeared. I've even been getting compliments (serious). The price is great too, so I'd definitely give it a shot!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by K8busch

This is a terrible product. I am acne-prone and i have been suffering from a bad breakout recently so i have been trying to find something new to stop the breakouts. My friend recommended this product to me so i bought it. I have very oily but incredibly sensitive skin and after using this twice, my skin feels awful. It's super itchy, peeling everywhere and this gave me more breakouts. I would only recommend this if you have non-sensitive skin because it is incredibly stripping and burns.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2013 11:07:00 AM More reviews by mixed12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love. I have always had really bad acne prone skin and just recently gotten over an overwhelmingly bad breakout last year. Well late into the summer I noticed that my face was starting to flare up again so I started using proactiv with only mild results. While shopping in my local whole foods store an employee mentioned to me that her daughter recently broke out really bad and after trying this product it cleared up drastically. I was a little apprehensive at first, especially with all of the oils in the product. Most people that fight with acne know that oils are a no-no for acne prone skin...but after just two uses of this product I noticed a difference in my acne. I've been using it for about a week now and my acne has cleared up. I will keep you guys posted if I run into any problems but so far this product is god sent.

Update (5/24/14): I have been using this product for a number of months. It is still effective but I realized that I needed to use a toner to help tighten my pores and for added cleansing. Since I am more comfortable using natural solutions on my face, I have been using Thayers Alcohol Free Witch Hazel as a toner. I also use Neutrogena On The Spot Treatment all over my face for the benzoyl peroxide that it contains. I do this regimen twice a day and it has worked wonders. It has not dried out my face and I have noticed that my pores has tightened, less wrinkles, and blemishes are disappearing. I hope that this regimen can help someone else because fighting and dealing with acne is a horrible ordeal. I understand the struggle....but either way please remember that you are still beautiful. :-)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2013 5:20:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

I have been using this face wash for several weeks now, and I have come to really love it. I use 2 pumps, rub it into my face, and then I take my wave, and clean in circular motions for a few minutes. I use this every single night (and then mornings i use cetaphil- which is a bit more gentle. I also use an exfoliator twice a week- once in the a.m. and once in the p.m.). This wash works REALLY WELL. Before i started using it, i would use pure tea tree oil as a spot treatment on my breakouts. I had such good luck, that i wanted to add this to my regimen. Just to clarify too, for those of you who are not having the same luck- be patient and give it a good week-week and a half before you throw in the towel... this is one of those products that can make you break out at first, and your skin appears to be worse, before it gets better. Dont give up on it... when i forst started, i broke out in places i never break out... i got frustrated, but i kept with it and now, i love it. i am so glad i kept with it, because this product is wonderful, and never fails to give my skin exactly what it needs. After I use the wash, i follow up with the toner, and the cream in this product line. The toner is derived from fruits and smells amazing! it put some on a cotton ball and rub all over my face- like any other toner. I use it at night, and the face cream on top of the toner- after it has dried. I give it four lippies... the cons of this product? its really hard to find... the only place i know that sells it is Lunds, nowhere else, and many of the times they are sold out. Also, the price is a bit much. After you buy the face wash, toner, and the cream- your looking at about $50.00- which is a bit much for a drugstore brand. Nevertheless, I still buy it, because i feel its worth every penny. Give it a try... it works awesome on combo skin- that can be so hard to find good products that work on...