December 22, 2014 | 1332 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Rinse-Off Foaming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2014 9:53:00 PM More reviews by Kelky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have purchased this product several times.

I would not classify this as a cleanser as it does NOT cleanse your skin. It is a makeup remover and is intended to be followed up with a cleanser. For those reviewing that it does not clean your skin - it's not supposed to. It's supposed to remove your makeup, which it does. You only need an extremely small amount and therefore, a bottle lasts me at least 6-8 months.

The biggest con is that it can not be used on the eyes and therefore you have to followup with an eye makeup remover, which can be a bit of a pain, plus requires you to purchase another product (I use Neutrogena's oil free eye makeup remover).

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2014 3:17:00 PM More reviews by luusk1125

This is a horrible cleanser it did nothing. It was not strong enough to take off my sunscreen not even my super light powder not even translucent powder that had a hint of color. All this did was make my sunscreen and powder ball up and stick to my face like eraser bits. It smells like chemical wax/paint. I was not better with a electric brush still the same. I even tried it to wash my face in the morning it made my face over dry squeeky tight with red patches. The consistancy is like wax and when you add water it feels like liquid wax with little to no foam. Most clinique skincare/makeup are horrible to much chemicals or irritants.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Kyrajeremy

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a free with purchase small tube...nowhere does it say "Do Not Get In Eyes"...well I decided to try it one night....and I suffered terribly for it...I did get it in my eyes. I thought I would go blind. The pain was excruciating for several minutes even tho I kept splashing cold water in my eyes. After that burning sensation subsided I put eye drops in for some soothing relief...I was hoping there was no damage to my eyes when I awoke the next morning.....I have been a Clinique customer since they began, and am so disappointed this particular product is on the market...

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2014 2:13:00 AM More reviews by wendella721

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this product removes all traces of make up, and will leave your skin squeaky clean.
its way too drying and strips off all natural oils. I have dry skin so this doesn't work for me.
I switched to clinique take the day off balm and is a much gentler make up remover.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 3:13:00 AM More reviews by Rachell09

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this product as a small cleanser to bring on trips because I love the portability of it! It does a nice job of cleaning, and it literally makes my face squeaky clean. I love using it with my olay pro x because it foams up the cleanser to it's max.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Jdeliz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I picked this product at the duty free in the airport. Felt it left my skin unclean. I'm not sure it removed my makeup completely.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by amatbm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this cleanser since im 12. Now im 24. I never use anything else. Its the only cleanser that leaves my skin balanced. I love it. If clinique ever discontinues this i will literally cry

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by beautysign

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a pearlescent paste that when you get wet transforms into the foaming cleanser. It's really nice it makes your skin squeaky clean. But it didn't really do anything to help me with my spot prone skin so I wouldn't repurchase. It is nice though , I ended up cutting the packet open so I could get the last bits of the product out. It would be good for people who wear estee lauder double wear because it cleans the skin so well but watch you don't get it in your eye because it stings badly.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Ruth81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Having been through two cycles of Roaccutane my skin is very fragile and dry, with severe rosacea, adult acne, and occasional bouts of seb. derm. (the hat trick!). Yet strangely enough, I am really pleased with this cleanser. I have been desperately trying to find a rinse-off cleanser which could deal with my (necessarily) heavy mineral make-up as my skin is just too sore to cleanse daily with cloths or cotton-wool. Unfortunately, most of the cleansers currently marketed for dry and/or sensitive skin use capric/caprylic triglyceride (a synthetic form of coconut oil) which causes me terrible cystic acne. My seb derm and acne can also be triggered by heavy oil, silicone-rich residues, and my rosacea is easily exacerbated by cleansers with acids or menthol. So my choice is very limited.

I noticed massive improvements on all three fronts using slightly chalky or alkaline cleansers, such as Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser. However, its cleansing power was only so-so, and cloths and cotton wool began edging back into my routine, and after a few months it left me with a rash around my eyes, which other MUA's have complained of. Like Burt's Bees Cotton cleanser, Clinique's rinse-off cleanser it also leaves a slightly-chalky- alkaline-residue but no where near as thick or noticeable as BB. Clinique's cleanser is far easier to move around the face, and easier to agitate with wet fingers for deeper cleansing (I understand this 'activates' the detergent). Unlike the BB cleanser,only a small amount of this baby-pink cream is required and it cleans very thoroughly and rapidly with a mousse-like texture. I don't detect any scent. I like that I can apply it to wet skin rather than rubbing it onto dry skin (the friction can be painful for skin as sensitive as mine) and the thick mousse provides a lovely cushion effect, massively reducing friction. You just lather between palms, wipe around a wet face, work it into a mousse with finger tips, then I rinse my hands and using wet fingertips, slowly dilute the mousse until it is runny, and rinse off.

I'm delighted to be able to clean my face fast and effectively - no double-cleansing, no intense rubbing, no swipes with cotton wool for 'missed-a-bits' - wonderful! There is no silicone or oily residue left behind, and the very slight 'chalky' effect dries up my acne, keeps my seb derm at bay, removes the horrible concretions caused by seb derm (which can be almost impossible to remove without cloths or acids), and cools my rosacea. The list of ingredients is relatively short and basic, with no oils or dreaded capric/caprylic triglyceride. It does not burn or sting unless I get it in my eyes (I would rather have that than the weird 'misty-eye' effect of other cleansers) and my rosacea has no major problems with it.

I can fully understand why this cleanser has received such mixed reviews, because it is a bit drying (hence 4/5 stars), although I have encountered cleansers far more drying than this, including those marketed at 'dry' skin (which this is not). I suppose the current generation of oil-based and silicone-based cleansers has changed the expectations of a cleanser for many people, but I'm very thankful there is something a bit more 'old school' like this Clinique cleanser to help those of us who simply can't tolerate the ingredients in the new formulations.

Overall, this may be useful for (a) people who want to remove makeup and sunscreen quickly and effectively with minimal effort (b) people wanting to avoid heavily oil/silicone-based cleansers (c) people with seb. derm or other kinds of skin issues who find sulphur-based products too harsh, too alkaline, or too smelly. Obviously it may not work for everyone, but if you can identify with these skin problems, trying a sample might be worth your while.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by thecolormargaret

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this with my skin care regimen for about two months and I am so happy with it. It easily and gently removes my makeup without leaving a filmy residue, as much as I like the convenience of wipes to remove my makeup, I have learned first hand what they do to my skin, they spread bacteria every where and leave a film over my skin, worsening my acne. I think this is a worthy investment and just a little bit does the trick.