April 19, 2014 | 1936 users online

Masks - Boots - Botanics conditioning clay mask

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by nevroth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

My face feels nice and soft after using this. Also it looks brighter and I've notice much MUCH fewer pimples. I don't know about "...a negative electrical charge to attract deep-rooted impurities from the skin..." (quoted from the bottle), but at least it's not breaking me out. I guess the real test is what happens when I STOP using this. Doesn't look like that is gonna happen anytime soon- I've had it 3 weeks and I'm sure it'll last a few months.

I use it after cleansing but before toning, 2x a week. It doesn't smell like anything to me, or it's light enough that I don't notice it/doesn't bother. The texture is a bit creamy, and I can apply evenly and easily with one finger. I haven't noticed any flaking off whatsoever, but then again, I usually just sit back and browse online/watch/read something while it's on. I did notice once when I was watching something funny, it felt like my face was cracking when I was laughing, but still didn't see any flakes. I typically leave it on between 15 and 20 minutes, rinse off, and then apply toner and moisturizer as usual.

Also, I checked with cosmeticdatabase (dot) com, and all the ingredients have low harzard scores between 0 and 2. It's good to know that I'm not putting potentially toxic stuff on my face ALL the time!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2008 3:53:00 AM More reviews by toffeebanoffee

I used this product for the first time last night, it is a little messy (be sure to shake thoroughly before use) but goes on easily and you don't need much at all to cover your face. In under ten minutes the mask was dry and when looking in the mirror I could see lots of little dark spots where the impurities had been drawn out from my pores. Amazing! I have never noticed that with any other face mask. When I rinsed it off I my pores were noticeably clear and my skin feels soft, smooth and plump. Will definitely continue to use this!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was an avid user of Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask, until last night when I tried this. I chucked the QH mask & ordered 5 more of these this morning. This mask is so much easier to work with. It can feel a bit watery(but I honestly like it better than the QH thick consistency) & I do shake it up before applying. It just glides so gently on your skin. It does dry VERY quickly which I noticed as I was still putting it on & it was drying on my fingers & nose already, but I didn't mind. I left it on for about 20-25 minutes. I also noticed after 10 minutes the mask started sucking oil out of my nose(the oil rose to the surface & you can see a color change in the mask). I loved that because my skin is a completely oily mess. It rinses off as easily as it glides on which I loved, but here is the best part.... There was noticeable differences in my skin as soon as I washed it off which I was amazed to see. Example, a huge cystic pimple that I have been trying to get rid of for about 2 months shrunk down to a white head & noticeable difference in the color of some acne scarring I had. Now this was just right after rinsing it off. This morning when I woke up & looked in the mirror I thought I had makeup on! I couldn't believe how light my scars had gotten & how good my skin looked after just one use. If you're using QH Mint Julep mask, I think you should give this a go. YES, it does cost more for a smaller amount of product but in my opinion it is 100% worth it. This is my new HG mask.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'final consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -
* Check out my notepad to read more about my skin and hair, as well as about products/techniques I currently use! *

What it Claims:
"Botanics Conditioning Clay Mask is a rich clay mask which attracts deep rooted impurities from the skin without over drying."

Claims - True or False?
1) Attracts deep rooted impurities: False. My skin did not look or feel as though impurities were lessened.
2) Not over drying: False. Definitely dried out my skin, imparted no moisture.

Packaging:
This mask comes in a small toothpaste-like tube with a twist-off cap. Normally, I would love a packaging like this as it is both hygienic and easy to use. However, because this mask is quite runny compared to most masks, it tends to cause some issues. Aesthetically, it's absolutely fantastic - it has a very subtle look to it, and the colours work well with the mask. While it wins in my books in terms of looks (reminds me of the aesthetics found on The Body Shop products), it is about average in terms of effectiveness of the actual package.

Smell:
Well, it's a clay mask. Smell reminds me a bit of dirt. It's nothing too offensive or too mild, and the smell itself isn't really all that off-putting.

Consistency:
Very runny compared to other masks. I was expecting it to be as runny as water based on these reviews, but it's more like, well, mud. Like somewhat watery mud. So while it is very thin and runny, it doesn't just flow out of the tube without control. There is also a fine grit to the product, which may be what causes the dryness for me. I definitely am not a fan of exfoliating masks. Once on your face, it dries within minutes.

Ease of Use:
I'd say that this mask is slightly more difficult to use than most masks based on how thin it is. It's pretty easy to dispense the product (just be careful to not squeeze too hard or you will end up with too much product), it's not as easy to distribute it on your face. I find that I end up with "naked" spots because it does not want to go on evenly. Unlike other masks I've tried though, it washes off very easily.

Bang for your Buck:
This mask cost about $12.00CAD for 120ml. Although you would only use this once or twice a week, I can easily see this being used up quite fast. For this simple fact, I would say that this is not the best deal or product that you can find for the price.

Final Consensus:
Overall, this mask really did not deliver for my skin. It did not aid in blemishes, dryness, or in oiliness, and did make some of these issues more noticeable. The mask is decently priced for the amount given, so if you are looking for an affordable clay mask and do not currently suffer from dryness or irritation/sensitive skin, give this one a shot. I would like to mention that I have tried about 4 products from this line, and they have all caused similar issues with dryness and irritation. I believe that my skin is simply sensitive and reactive to natural plant ingredients, hence my reaction.
- Pros: Relatively affordable, no-frill mask, rinses off easily, dries fast, does not have a 'cooling' sensation (which usually causes irritation).
- Cons: Caused dryness and mild irritation, can be messy, consistency is too runny, packaging does not work as well as I'd like for the consistency, does not apply evenly to the skin, possibly broke me out.

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2007 10:17:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

While this isn't the best clay mask I've ever tried, it's not bad. It needs to be thoroughly shaken before use, as the clay tends to settle to the bottom, but it's so easy to apply and dries within minutes. I find the longer it's left on, the better the results - I give it half an hour before it actually does anything of note. After rinsing, I'm left with clearer, softer skin, as my clogged pores have been essentially vacuumed of blackheads. Good price, too. Available at Target in the US, and selected Shoppers Drug Marts in Canada.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by adara260

I have oily/combo, acne prone skin. I need a mask that will draw out dirt, oil and impurities without breaking me out more.

(IM SORRY FOR THE TMI IN ADVANCE) With this mask I literally see the dots, and sometimes (alarming) huge pools of oil that this mask draws out. After I rinse this mask, my skin isn't sucked parching dry, just dried out how I imagine normal skinned people feel. However I know it works.

Overall: This hasn't cured my acne, nothing that rinses away will do that. I do like my other clay masks (mainly Aztec), but of all my masks I feel this is the most effective at drawing out oil. Yes the texture is liquidy which I wish it wasn't, but shake it up really well, and layer a few layers and you'll get great results!

My skin is left "dried" out to normal oil levels, and calmed. The mask also doesn't hurt so I can carry on doing housework and other activities.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by LAURLAUR75

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I bought this mask. I think it is just as good or if not better than Queen H's mask. It dried faster for me for sure. It pulled the dirt out of my big open pores so they were less visible. I pat it on with my ring finger. I wash my face before hand and spritz it with mineral water so it takes better. It does come off very easy. You don't need a face cloth. Just sit tight for 20 minutes and relax! ...even though I cleaned the bathtub while I was waiting for my 20 minutes to be up. haha

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2009 11:19:00 PM More reviews by Citruss

For me cosmetic elegance doesn't always have to be high if the product offers less toxic ingredients that doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. This mask is one that fits such instance. This isn't the smoothest applying or the creamiest spreading mask I've used. In fact, I've used cheaper costing masks that had higher cosmetic elegance than this ( this mask costs $8.99 +tax for 4.2 oz ). BUT, after the masked dries and washed off, my skin felt so soft and clean. I'm doing this mask 1~2x a week and it helps to keep my skin soft with clear pores
This mask did not leave my skin itchy and tight. I love this mask. Very few ingredients and simple formulation is the main attraction. It ends up being a luxurious experience ;More than with all those other masks that has perfumes and many chemicals that are bad for me.
I hope Boot's never adds anything ( and change)on this mask's formulations. I've found this mask by looking around on Skin Deep site for low toxic scoring mud masks.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2004 10:37:00 AM More reviews by stevie50001

I love this mask! its very water tho and need a good shaking before use or you'll dispense dirty looking water into your hand. That said it is a pleasure to use. It dries after about 10 mins but never gives that dried tight feeling, probably due to its glycerin content etc. I find this very good at stripping excess suface oils from pores which gives the my skin a dull tan look. This mask totally brightens my skin and is a must before i go out somewhere special. I have extremely sensitive skin and this does not irritate or strip in the slightest, in fact i dont feel the need to apply anything after using this mask, unlike other masks where you need to slather on moisturiser, this one leave you skin smooth soft and subtle and clean looking. Also very cheap and lasts a while. I try to use it weekly or whenever i need it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by inspiredtobe

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a brilliant product! I am so glad I was recommended this while on my search for different clay masks. The consistency is fairly runny, you must shake the bottle before every use. But it is easy application, and it does dry rather quick. You could feel the mask tighten on your skin immediately. So you know once you wash the mask off, all your pores are tightened!

Pros:
-Tightens pores
-Pulls out impurities and oils within your pores. During the drying duration, like every other review mentioned it really does drag out the oils and dirt in your pore areas that are troubled. It will look like a dark, green spot upon the pore.
-Leaves your face feeling refresh, conditioned, and clean afterwards.
-Natural ingredients! Love

Cons:
-None really, except the runny consistency I would say. But it doesn't bother me, since it's extremely easy to wash off.

Will re-purchase. The price is reasonable and the product is effective. One of my favorite drugstore products!