August 1, 2014 | 1748 users online

Shampoo - Clairol - Shimmer Lights

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by SugarFreeSheila

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I could give you a paragraph of "tell" - but I'm thinking "show" will be more effective here.

BEFORE: Right after color was touched up ... http://i50.tinypic.com/207vvox.jpg

AFTER: One Shimmer Lights shampoo/condition 2 days later ... http://i48.tinypic.com/vdpm3a.jpg

Both photos taken in same overcast-day lighting. I'll let you decide if this stuff works!

46 out of 50 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2009 2:35:00 PM More reviews by foxychick5593

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have had a few hair disasters in my past...mainly from coloring my own hair. A few months ago, I got my hair done at a local salon. After a couple of days as an ALMOST blonde, I decided that I wanted to go dark. Dumb move, I know. I used a medium brown box color, which of course turned my hair black. It has faded a lot, and is now a medium brown (with a few dark streaks left over, which looks like they were put there on purpose)! A few days ago, I was in the drugstore, and I had planned on NEVER coloring my hair again. But I found myself in the hair color section and I thought I found the PERFECT color of light ash brown. It even said it was to be used on dark brown hair. Long story short...it turned my roots orange and left the rest of my hair medium brown.

I read some reviews on several products and decided that Shimmer Lights was my safest bet. I purchased a bottle of the Shimmer Lights for Blondes...and after only 2 applications, the orange is almost COMPLETELY gone. It faded it back to a brown that matches the rest of my hair. The rest of my hair has even lightened to a lighter brown shade. I don't know how it does this so perfectly, but it does! So if any brunettes ever have the same problem I did...I would highly recommend using this product. Don't get the one for Brunettes and Redheads, though! Make sure to get the blonde shade if you don't want MORE orange! Love it! PS-the smell really isn't bad. It smells like the majority of regular clarifying shampoos out there in my opinion.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2011 5:41:00 PM More reviews by sarahscantron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff has been a real life saver. I bleach my hair from dark blonde to light blonde, and have issues with orange brassy streaks. I also hate using toners because I don't like having beautiful platinum hair one week and have my hair go back to brassy the next. The Shimmer lights just really makes my color consistently nice. I mix the shimmer lights into head and shoulders shampoo, and leave it in my hair for about a minute. I then put my normal suave conditioner on my ends, and style using hask hair placenta. My previous crappy looking color comes out a nice consistent blonde.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by ljeddrey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me start off by saying that I've been researching ways to get rid of the brassy orange / yellow / red tones in my hair for months. I also read all of the reviews on this site before purchasing the Shimmer Lights and am BEYOND happy that I took the plunge.

Here is my story, I went from a platinum blond to dark (DARK) brown. I instantly hated it but decided that I really wanted to try to get back to my natural color and needed some time to get used it. I eventually decided that it was too dark and I'd try umbre to lighten up the bottom half and some pieces around my face. So a darker color was added to my roots, again, and the bottom was lightened.

That still didn't feel right so I eventually started to slowly add more highlights via foils and balayage. The dark color that was added to my root / crown of my head eventually faded to this awful orange / red / yellow tone (because I had so much blond underneath).

My stylist has tried multiple toners and foiling over the color but since I want a balance of low and highlights, I'm trying to avoid having her foil over everything which is leaving crown of my head and some lowlights with that awful brassy color in areas. My hair also always pulls warm tones, it's so frustrating. Enter purple shampoo ...

I've tried a few and nothing worked as well as Clairol Shimmer Lights. Aveda, Bumble, and Redken all weren't strong enough to remove that awful brass. They actually made the brass on the lowlight worse. My stylist suggested the Clairol Shimmer Lights because it's a combination of blue and purple and the others are just purple. I guess I needed that blue to combat the red / organge because now my hair is beautiful .... the dark tones that were fading to red are now toned back to a beautiful low light and my highlights are that perfect pale blond I was looking for.

I was afraid to try it given how many people said it was drying and damaging but I honestly haven't had an issue. I deep conditioned before and after. Yeah, it's a little dry but nothing deep conditioners and oils can't fix. I also don't mind the smell at all.

I've used it three days in a row and 90% off of brass is gone. The first time I lathered once then washed it out becaues I was nervous about my hair turning purple. The following two times I left it on for about 3 minutes. Next I'm going to leave it on only the brassy areas a little longer then start using it all over once a week. After months and months of salon treatments, I'm so happy that I gave this a chance because it brought my color to where I've been trying to get it and this will extend my salon visits and give my hair time to grow and repair. I hope this review helps, good luck!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2006 3:44:00 PM More reviews by mmhilla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am extremely happy I gave this a try. I have purchased artTec and another cheap version called silver lights or something and did not notice any reduction of brassiness. But, I gave this a try and YES it does work. I have med-brown hair that I dye at home to light blonde. Every time I have to deal with my hair turning orange (I'm cool toned so this color is awful).I put this shampoo on dry at the roots, just like I apply my dye, let it sit there for about 10-15 minutes and the results are phenomenal.A huge reduction in brassiness. I will def. repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2005 3:31:00 PM More reviews by ShanaLyons

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A great shampoo for blondes. I'm on my third bottle of this stuff. I usually find it at Sally Beauty. (FYI-- Sally's generic version is identical. There is NO need to spend the additional $$ for the Clairol branded version. The last bottle I bought was generic and I have noticed no difference.) Like everyone says, the goal of this shampoo is to remove brassiness. It does. Use it once or twice a week and your hair will stay creamy blonde vs. gold blonde.

Several people have commented on the smell. Yeah, it's not awesome. However, a good thick conditioner with a scent to it (Like John Frieda Sheer Blonde Moisturizing Conditioner) easily covers any smell that remains after a good rinse. You'll need a good conditioner. This shampoo is not moisturizing.

Pros: It works! Blondes stay creamy vs. gold. Also, much much cheaper ($3.00 for a big bottle of the Sally Generic version) than ArcTec or other color enhancing shampoos.

Cons: Smell, not moisturizing.

Overall: I'm about to repurchase for the 4th time. It does what it purports to do. Get a good conditioner and you'll be fine.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/23/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by PinkBeach

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Finally swapped for this product and couldn't wait to try it out. I had read reviews warning of the old lady smell but that didn't stop me, although it should have!

As for the effects this shampoo has on color, they're as great as all the preview reviews make them out to be. My highlights were noticeably brightened and cooler. It did slightly dry out my hair, but all toning shampoos do, in my experience, and I counteracted it by following with a moisture mask.

If you're not sensitive to smells, you can ignore the rest of my review and rush out to buy this stuff. If you are, however, beware! In the shower the smell was bad, powdery, old fashioned, grandmotherly, but I rinsed out the shampoo and put on my apple-scented Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture Treatment, thinking it would cover it up. Nope. Then I styled with PM SSS thinking the apple scent there would help. But no. So I threw my hair back in a pony tail so I wouldn't have to smell it. (Still could though, but not as strongly). Went swimming that night, and even the pool after my hair smelled like grandma, not like chlorine. Then I shampooed again. Smell is still there. My hair is pulled back at the moment. The one time I took my ponytail out and shook out my hair, I literally gagged and ran for the bathroom because I thought I was going to puke because of the wave of nauseating fragrance. (I didn't, thank goodness). The smell is dissipating, finally, but it's still there. There is no way that I will use this stuff again. I've heard that GVP (generic brand sold at Sally's) makes a dupe without fragrance, so I'll give that one a try next.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 10:08:00 AM More reviews by genalewis

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using Shimmer Lights since the first time I lightened my hair (about 9 years ago). I was so scared of this shampoo at first, because I pictured it instantly making my hair blue/purple. But, I remembered art class back in middle school, and how purple is the opposite color to yellow. When you mix the two colors together, you create a neutral. So the concept made sense to me: if my hair is getting too yellow/brassy, a purple shampoo will counteract that brassiness. Genius!

What's so fantastic about this shampoo is that, unlike other color-depositing shampoos I have used, this works on the first use. If you notice that your hair is yellowing and you are losing that cool blonde look you want, one shampoo will neutralize your hair and impart cooler tones. Having this product has really saved me from re-bleaching so many times, and ultimately, that saves the condition of my hair. It's like a 5-minute salon treatment.

Since my blonde days, I have been red and back to my original brunette several times. Recently, I decided to ColorFix and remove the red dye that was in my hair. The color underneath was dark enough for me, but it was a little brassy for my taste. Before jumping straight to putting more dye on my hair, I thought I would try Shimmer Lights. I know it's for blondes, not brunettes, but it was worth a shot. I am so glad I tried it! I only have to use it once a week, and it keeps the brassiness away, making my brown color much richer-looking.

The scent is a bit off-putting...it's almost mediciney. You can't mask it with conditioner, either. But since I am only using it once a week, I only have to put up with that smell one day a week.

I recommend the whole lather-rinse-repeat thing with this. I use a very small amount to clean my hair and scalp, and use more on the second lather to really sudse up and let the purple color do its work. You honestly could use another shampoo for the first lather...the first one is simply for cleansing purposes. I would not use this any more than a couple times a week, or you run the risk of having purple-tinged hair.

I would definitely repurchase this. I have already had several bottles of Shimmer Lights, and it's a tried-and-true product that lives up to its reputation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by sopranowriter

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I recently went from my natural mousy/ashy brown hair color to a dark, graduated blonde with heavy highlights on top and at the edges. I was thrilled with my new color, and immediately began to research products to extend its life as long as possible and keep the highlights bright and sparkling-something of a trick, as I live in an area with highly chlorinated/chloramine(d?) water. I briefly considered Aveda's color extending line of products, but I have used those in the past, and was less than thrilled with the results, so I decided to try Shimmer Lights-the kind for blonde and silver hair. I don't think I will need to keep looking-I am very happy with the results!
When I got in the shower, I was surprised at the shampoo's bright purple color, and a little worried about it staining my tub, or not rinsing out of my hair, but I needn't have worried about either. (It rinses right off the tub without leaving a stain.) I applied it once all over my head and rinsed it off, then applied some more, and left it on for a few minutes per the instructions on the bottle, while I washed, shaved, and did everything else one does in the shower (almost! ;-)) Then, I rinsed it very, very thoroughly, so no purple residue would remain on my hair. When I say thoroughly, I mean it-you have to rinse until you don't see any bubbles going down the drain at all-the longer, the better. So far, so good....now, about the way it smells. It is quite highly fragranced-a sort of perfumy, "beauty salon" type of scent. If you are someone who is very sensitive to fragrances, it may bother you, but I didn't find it quite as horrible as others have. It does cling to the hair a little, but not for a long time, and it certainly wasn't strong or disgusting enough to give me a headache. It just takes some getting used to, and I can't say I like it much, but the results are worth the minor dissatisfaction with the scent.
When my hair was dried and combed out, I was delighted-the blonde tones in my hair were light and free of coppery or brassy notes, and my hair was very soft and squeaky clean-good enough for a couple shampoo-free days. Now, I have very oily hair, and, before coloring, used to have to wash it every day-and conditioner? Forget about it! Now I can go every other day, but my roots still get oily, so when I used Shimmer Lights for the first time, I wasn't too worried about it drying out my hair. Well, it did-it made it very, very staticky. Enough to make me decide to include conditioner the next time I used it. If you have dry hair, conditioner is a MUST with this shampoo! As I mentioned, I don't, but I think I will probably use this no more than once a week,or as needed, just to be on the safe side. At the price, which was around six dollars for the smallest bottle of this (they offer three or four sizes at Sally's, for varying prices, of course), I will definitely repurchase, and maybe I will try the conditioner too!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by prettystuffbyd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

was using a sworovski silver shampoo and the salon used this clairol one. well i switched asap. it doesnt dry the hair out. it tones better faster. this is better somtimes i shampoo twice and then use the conitioner for white result.
obviously all hair is different but this works best for mine