October 1, 2014 | 1005 users online

Treatments (Face) - Clarins - Santal Face Treatment oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 5:52:00 AM More reviews by tine1696

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Clarins Santal Face Treatment oil is great to 'reset' my skin. My skin is not extremely dry but I have chosen to use this version of the treatment oil.

It spreads rather thickly but would do fine if it were used sparingly under a facial mist.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2014 2:45:00 PM More reviews by angeldust777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

my desert island hero. my dry skin loves this. use every night. wake up with soft hydrated skin. a must have for dry skins.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by yolp1945

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this nightly in lieu of toner and night cream. After I wash my face at night, I pat it dry, warm 6-10 drops of this oil in my hands, and apply into my face in what Clarins calls a "press-and-release" motion. My dry skin drinks this up and in the mornings, I wake up with really soft skin. Also, it doesn't stain my pillow or clothes.

Since, I sleep in an air-conditioned room, the air is very dry; this might not sound scientific, but I feel that the oil create a 'layer' that protects the moisture in my face from drying out at night. After a month of using this, I feel like my skin has become softer and my foundation lasts longer. I've recommended this to my mother, too.

Personally, I think it's simple and effective. I got this from $35-50 (forgot the exact price) and from the looks of it, a bottle should last about 4 months. Cheaper than most creams! The oil doesn't really claim to do anything special - i.e. decrease wrinkles, make skin brighter - but for me, moisture is the most important. Moisturized skin will age well and be less susceptible to problems (also drink a lot of water!)

Lastly, the scent of sandalwood ("sandal") takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few nights, it feels more spa-like than stinky.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Lizzy28

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Recently I got a whole bunch of skincare samples allegedly being great for my dry, sensitive Rosacean skin. I also received a mini-bottle of this facial oil. Prior to using any kind of new product I read the ingredients list. Well, I knew I really couldn't use this. This so-called "treatment oil" contains a lot of sandalwood and lavender oils, along with more fragrance and problematic fragrance components. Very irritating and high up in the list of Rosacea Triggers. It smells really nice but that's the only good thing about it.
I happen to love several Clarins makeup products but I stay away from their skincare products; too bad because there are plenty of beneficial, non-irritating botanicals. If only they would use those instead of these irritating plant extracts and fragrance components...

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Matillyrose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have red skin due to Lupus and I thought that this oil would work better than the Orchid Oil which I also purchased but I have to say I get better results with the Orchid Oil. Not to say I don't like this one, smells wonderfully of Sandalwood it just doesn't seem to work as good on my skin.

I alternate between the two oils to use it up but on the days I use this one I am not so happy with the results.

Best applied to damp skin to help the oil absorb and then apply moisturiser.

To stop oil going rancid store in a dark place because oils go bad in daylight and shouldn't be packaged in clear glass.

Clarins for me is a hit and miss affair and while I love their treatment oils Santal is not as good as Blue Orchid in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2013 4:15:00 PM More reviews by annagal11

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Stunning results! My skin has been "angry" for a few weeks -- red splotchy bumps on my chin, flaky bits -- the horror. A hormonal side effect of a new thyroid medication -- weird adult acne. I have tried various soothing masks and serums to no avail. Then Clarins Santal Oil completely rescued my skin!! The bumps are gone after 3 treatments and it stopped the flaky bits. My skin feels smooth and plump, very healthy. I have trouble with rosacea redness on my chin and around my nose and this oil really toned that down. I actually use less concealer on those areas now! Must have if your skin is having hormonal issues or if you have fair skin with redness. This is my first beauty treatment review -- this oil is such a lifesaver I had to share.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 11:54:00 PM More reviews by mllemustard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my first facial oil, and I'm converted. I've been using it for about six months. I don't use this every night: I alternate it with a retinol (currently, LRP Redermic).

It smells lovely and is very relaxing: it makes for a nice ritual in the evening before bedtime. But, more importantly, it is soothing on my dry skin and has helped mitigate the dryness, especially now that it is winter (I've been able to use lighter moisturizers this year than last). It absorbs incredibly quickly and leaves me skin feeling very soft and comfortable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2012 7:50:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First, let me just say that I'm a huge fan of Clarins's facial oils. I've used the Blue Orchid Oil for absolutely ages and just love it. In the hot, humid summer, I switch to Lotus for July and August. I truly love these products. Through a strange set of circumstances, I ended up with THREE unopened bottles of Blue Orchid Oil (one I'd bought, since I always keep a bottle in reserve and I'd just opened a bottle, so got another one to keep on hand) and two that I'd received as birthday gifts (my friends know how much I like this oil, so 2 of them got it for me for my birthday 3 weeks ago). Since there is a limit to how many bottles of this oil that I can keep "in reserve", I exchanged one for the Santal version, which I've been wanting to try, since I'm getting older and my skin is getting a bit drier.

I've used this product for 2 nights, which perhaps isn't a fair test but I have to say that so far, I'm a bit disappointed. I don't find it all that moisturizing or even all that soothing (it is supposed to help with redness and broken capillaries; I realize that nothing will fix the latter problem but it doesn't even leave behind that soothed, less red look that several other of my HG products do). My skin doesn't have the sort of plumped, softened feel in the morning that it does when I use the Blue Orchid Oil. As I say, perhaps 2 nights isn't a fair test and maybe my expectations are a bit too high and I need to give it a bit more time. So I'll continue using this product (nothing inherently "wrong" with it - hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin) and edit my review if things change in the next few weeks or so. I have to say, I really LOVE the dropper application (while I've used the Clarins facial oils for years, this is the first one I've used in the new packaging with the glass dropper. Way to go, Clarins, but this was waaaay overdue!)

UPDATE: (Dec. 30/2012) Winter has hit with a vengeance in the past week or so and with it, the cold, harsh, drying effects it brings with it. I have been using this treatment oil nightly, sometimes with other products, sometimes on its own. While I've upped my rating from 3 lippies to 4, I have to say, it doesn't perform as nicely for me as the Blue Orchid Oil even though the Santal is meant for drier skins while the Blue Orchid is more for any dehydrated skin. I will use this up but don't think I will repurchase. Blue Orchid really works better for me. And it smells nicer too!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2012 8:38:00 PM More reviews by XpugsX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When this product first came out, it did not have a dropper with it, it only had a screw top. This made it quite difficult to use as you had to tip the bottle onto your finger or palm. I recently started using this again because I was having a major problem with peeling skin after using Afirm 3x. It was a product I used about 10 years ago and was reassured when I opened the bottle and that old familiar smell was there. Some people may not like the smell as it is quite strong, but do not let that deter you because the oil itself works amazingly well on all skin types. I wasn't really expecting miracles, I just wanted my skin to settle down and stop peeling. I don't know whether it was the Santal Oil or whether the Afirm actually did its job in the long run, but I am continuing to use Santal because it was very soothing on my skin and I use it in conjunction with the lighter strength Afirm (1x) on alternating nights. The real beauty of Santal is that along with really moisturising you skin and being very gentle and non-irritating is that a little goes a very long way. I only use 6 drops for my entire face and neck. The new design with the dropper means that the bottle is going to last for ages, so it is great value for money. I prefer the older Clarins products to their newer ones. I really think they knew what they were doing 10-20 years ago. Some of their newer products miss the mark quite a bit, but the old gems like Santal Oil are amazingly effective and that is why they are still around. Love this oil!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Bossanova

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I ADORE this oil, it is one of my HG products since starting to use it in the spring. For a while I used Weleda rose oil capsules, then later on the Decleor rose d'orient balm, but this is actually even better for my sensitive rosacea prone skin. I feel like it is not as heavy as other similar oil products are, and it still deeply nourishes my skin, plumps it up, calms it down, and warms it (but not in a burning way). I use it mostly at night without any other cream, but have also tried layering or mixing it with a day cream/ sunscreen during the day, and with a Clarins face mask (HydraQuench) during the night - for particularly dehydrated days (e.g. after air travel). It smells beautiful to me, very natural and earthy. I don't mind the price since it makes me so happy! Will repurchase for sure!