December 20, 2014 | 1717 users online

Palettes - MAC - Pro Colour Palette/Small Eye Shadow

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

I recently got back into MAC eyeshadow and bought the new 15-pan palette to house old and new shadows together. While I think I still prefer the old 15-pan palette design better, the new one is OK and I don't mind using it. Pros for the old palette: thinner, has rounded beveled corners instead of sharp pointy ones, has easy notches to remove pans. Pros for the new palette: see-through top (although I'm afraid it will scratch easily/get messy from the inside), option of double-sided palette, option of not using an insert to fit more/other items inside. It is a major pain to remove pans from the new inserts, so before I put each pan in, I put a small piece of clear tape on the bottom and folded it over so it sticks out a little (like a tab) from the side. It looks a little stupid but I like to rearrange my palettes whenever I get new eyeshadow, so this saves me the grief of trying to pop out the insert without damaging all the eyeshadow.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by babyjane14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing the x4 pan palette:

I purchased this in the new packaging recently and I'm really happy with it. It has a clear lid with a shiny black casing. The pan slots are specifically made for MAC eye shadows which fit perfectly.

This is a great palette to take 4 of your fave eye shadows a long with you when your away from home, as sometimes its hard to bring along a larger palette. I would highly recommend this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by mikxoh

super affordable...$8 for the case, $2 for the 15 pan insert so for $10 total you get a sleek way to store your eyeshadow pans! don't even feel pressured to fill it up with only MAC shadows...I have a mix of MAC and MUG (which fit perfectly!). I bought this to save money in the long run - eyeshadow that come in pots are a couple bucks more than ones which just come in a refill pan. for example a MAC es is $15 for the compact while $10 for the refill pan. MUG is about $7-8 for the compact and $5 for a refill pan.

another plus is the clear cover so you can see exactly what's in it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have 8 of these filled and I absolutely love them. Most of my palettes are at least 5+ years old and are still just as sturdy as the day I bought them. I love that I can fit 15 shadows in one palette which allows me to group them by color family. I love that they're magnetized too!

My only complaint about these... I wish they had a clear lid like the 4 pan palettes. Other than that, I love these! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2012 8:04:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I own two of these, one for my MAC eyeshadows and the other one for my Urban Decay (sorry UD, I love your shadows but hate your bulkier overpriced palette). I wanted to streamline my makeup routine and also organize it so that it looked pretty while sitting on my bathroom vanity. I depotted my MAC eyeshadows and Back to Mac'ed them (FREE LIPSTICKS, yay!) and any new eyeshadows I now purchase are in the pro pan form ($3 cheaper) and magnetize right in. I have access to all my shadows at once without having to open each container at a time which saves me time!

Update: Mac reduced the price of the pro pans, they are now $10, you'll be saving $5 compared to the ones in the pot form. yay! These are now discontinued in favor of the kind that have a clear acrylic cover. I personally like these better, they seem sturdier and are thinner than the newer version.

Storage tip: My collection has grown and I now own 8 palettes. To store them and for easy access, I use a desktop DVD holder, they fit just right.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 7:19:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

While the photo attached to this page is of the 15 pan palette, the reviews and title seem to be for the small 4-pan empty palette, which I love.

It makes so much more sense to purchase Mac shadows in the pro-pans (they're much cheaper, when you consider what you save on 4 of them) and them put them into these palettes. You can easily move shadows around and rearrange and re-organize your 4-pans for a specific need, as I often do when I travel. I find it easier to take 1, 2 or 3 of these rather than one 15-pan - it's more practical for me personally. In my own bathroom, which is where I apply makeup, storing 15 pans is not do-able (the shelves where I keep my makeup are quite narrow) but I can easily stack multiple 4-pans in a fairly small space.

I have to say that I prefer the "older model" palettes to the newer ones which are much trickier to open and, unless you think to ask for a demo, much harder to get the shadows out (I'm so glad I asked when I got my first of the new design because it looked like once they were in, you couldn't get them out again, as with MAC's "pre-made" palettes).

Just 2 other things....for starters, why the heck can't MAC make EASIER to depot their shadows (LE ones, for example)? Why do people have to resort to hot irons, clamps and vice grips, surgical implements, etc.? Why not just an easy screw on/screw off collar so those of us who prefer using palettes can remove the shadows easily and with little risk of damaging them? And why can't they include a MIRROR?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by nmhidi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I remember many years ago buying my first MAC eyeshadow.. and then suddenly I had 15 or so pots floating around my makeup area.. so annoying! I love the small and large palettes because they help you stay organized.. you don't have to flip over 10 million little pots looking for the color you want. You can simply label your palettes and know exactly where to find every color in your collection. The small palettes are GREAT for vacations or over night trips.. I don't need more than 4 eye shadows if I am going away, its just a waste of space. I love the new small palettes because the see-through lid is great! Looks more expensive than the old version too.

Also, pan versions of MAC eye shadows are cheaper! but don't worry.. its easy to depot your shadows from the pot and stick a magnet on the bottom.. they work just fine in the palette too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 7:54:00 PM More reviews by Alfordalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

These are awesome. Eye shadows can be popped in and out, you can custom make your perfect palette and the eyeshadows for palettes are cheaper to buy than the ones in pots.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2012 9:26:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

In the end, I did not like having all these little pots of eyeshadow that I would need to waste time and energy and get bored in choosing between, flipping lids etc. I was also really chuffed to discover that the old fantastic quality Urban Decay depotted perfectly into the MAC as well.
I only became aware of the 'pro palette' system by reading on the internet, and numerous shadows that languished unflipped open are now being considered and used frequently.
I wish MAC Australia would gear up and get their palettes going!
PS I researched and tried various methods to depot...I am quite practical (have a farm, use lots of tools, etc) and assumed the no-heat, cut the container system would work best for me...but maybe my snips, pliers etc were the wrong kind, but I actually found that the scorch-over-the-candle method was easiest for me. But YMMV.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2012 3:03:00 PM More reviews by mohayes1402

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It AMAZES me that other brands have not tried to copy this (Fashionista in Superdrug I think might have something). I have three and although in one the insert doesn't sit quite square, the shadows are held firmly in place but also flip out pretty easily when you need them to. Brilliant.