April 16, 2014 | 1550 users online

Toners - Neutrogena - Alcohol-Free Toner

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by gdallar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

PROS:
-*SENSITIVE SKIN GIRLS: this is the only drugstore toner that I can use that will not irritate my eyes or my skin BUT still takes off dirt and oil effectively
-can easily be used around eyes (morning mascara smudges anyone)
-doesn't make skin feel tight or dry
-inexpensive and accessible

CONS:
-packaging isn't most travel friendly or convenient, but it is better than others (sprout hole is small, no crazy leaking on a cotton pad)
-if you have crazy oil skin and need something super strong, this is not for you

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by aaajamieson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really liked this toner. One of the main reasons being that i wanted an alcohol-free toner as i find others dry my skin out, and it actually WORKS. My skin doesn't break out too often, but when it does its usually my chin. I have used this bottle completely up and i always find that when i notice a break out, i use this after cleansing my skin, and the next day my chin has cleared up so much more and prevents it from getting worse.
This toner also does not dry my skin out (which the bottle claims), which has a lot to do with it being alcohol-free.
I usually apply with a cotton pad, & it has a really light, fresh scent. I have used up the bottle and will definitely be re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 7:30:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased this a while ago on a whim, I was into my cold cream & dove soap phase (yeah I know-pore clogging hell) thinking that I could use the toner to remove residue. The toner has a pH of 4.5, which is perfect, but too gentle to remove the mix of mineral oil & syndnet residue from the dove soap (nasty).
So it sat in the cupboard for a few months. Right now I'm using spectro jel (combo skin version) and a BHA liquid lotion, which is not really a toner in the true sense. It can only be used once a day, at night.
Spectro jel for combo skin leave a residue, which can be irritating.
Spectro Jel has an ingredient which is a nessesary evil to preserve the formula. You'll notice it is paraben free...but replacing that is Diazolidinyl urea which is a formadehyde releaser. This causes the irritation (and some people are very allergic to Diazolidinyl urea, so keep this in mind if you're considering this cleanser) and that's where Neutrogena's alcohol free toner comes in. I do like to add a 1/4 tsp of L-ascorbic acid, but if you do such a thing keep in mind it lowers the pH of the formula, and may cause irritation for some.
I typically avoid fragrance in cosmetics, but the parfum in this toner does not irritate my skin. The best ingredient in the formula is sodium PCA which balances and respects the acid mantle.
It's also good for the morning when one is not keen on washing their face, but wish to clean the skin.
Good product. I can't say HG yet, but it has potential :j

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by electroTABBY

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Overall a really nice toner:) One of my favorite, because I love the smell and how gentle it is on the skin. It feels really refreshing to use after I've wiped off my makeup. It's not drying at all. I have combination skin so I try to keep my skin balanced, I need to remove oil without over drying my skin so this toner is perfect for that.

It doesn't help with treating acne or anything (it's not intended to), but I feel that it aids in preventing clogged pores by removing any excess makeup you might have had on your face after cleansing. Another plus!

I don't see anything wrong with the packaging either, I either use a cotton ball or my face wipes with the toner on it and it works wonderfully. Definitely recommend this toner!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

I bought this in attempt to find a cheaper alternative to my Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion. This does not moisturize like the Clinique version does, it has a strong perfume scent which I hate, and it causes my redness to flare up. Also, the packaging is cheap.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/24/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by matchamoiselle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This toner made me give up on toners in general... I've stopped using toners completely. This toner gave me multiple spots, akin to an allergic reaction. It dried out my skin and irritated it quite badly that I was shocked since the product is supposed to be alcohol-free! These spots and irritated areas stopped and healed over in a couple of days after I stopped using this toner.

I think this toner is quite harsh, so I wouldn't recommend this toner to anyone at all.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Koala25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My skin is generally clear these days but this product has made my acne flare up again...IMMENSELY! One of the main ingredients in this toner is butylene glycol which has been shown to contribute to breakouts. Shame because I liked the fact that it was alcohol free. I would warn acne sufferers against purchasing this.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by troo12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This toner was the first alcohol-free toner I've used. Thus, I don't have much to compare it to besides that it is a whole lot better on my face than those with alcohol. It does a great job at cleansing the rest of the scum of my face that my face wash didn't get and this includes cleaning my pores a bit better than they had been. The tone of my face has changed but I'm not sure if it's because of the product or other factors (age, other products). But overall, I have nothing to complain about!
Warning though: Don't squeeze bottle! It comes out way too fast...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/29/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by Kirplunk0

This stuff broke me out neutrogena always breaks me out i dont know why

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2013 1:38:00 AM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't really feel like this does anything for me.

Good:
I do notice on my cotton ball after using it that it takes off what little bit of makeup my face wash may leave behind
Doesn't irritate or dry out my sensitive/combination skin
No offensive smell or stinging sensation, like some toners have
Alcohol-free

Bad:
I just don't really think this is...worth using. It feels sort of like putting water on my face with a cotton ball. I don't think it really makes any impact
The bottle is big but I think it cost me $8 which is sort of ridiculous for toner (IMHO)
Is sort of slow to dry/absorb, as far as toners usually go

Overall: pass.